Search results

1. S

Walthers Front Runner spine car kit instructions needed

I didn't think Walthers made kits. Good luck with the FRP/McKean kits. Easy to assemble, difficult to keep on track. Phil
  2. S

Walthers Front Runner spine car kit instructions needed

Are they Walther's or Front Range Products. Phil
  3. S

HO Screw Lot Source Help

Maybe Micro-Mart. Athearn use to sell steel 2/56 screws of different lengths. Phil
  4. S

Rolling Stock for Union Pacific set

no. the problem is the the coupler swing on long engines and rolling stock swings to the outside of the curve. a 22" rad. is really pushing the limits on most cars over 50-55'. You would tend to have a less problem with 50' and shorter especially on something like a sd70. but again most of...
  5. S

Rolling Stock for Union Pacific set

The 70 will go around the 18" by itself. But the rolling stock probably wont unless you are using truck mounted couplers and even then it would be questionable. This is a modern long engine and the cars behind it will be 50' or longer except for some tankers. Would suggest a 4 axle diesel...
  6. S

Code 100 Steel Track vs Nickel Silver

I've not used it but have been told it is subject to rusting. Like the old Lionel 0-27 stuff. Phil.
  7. S

Remotoring Athearns

I've not had to remotor any genesis, either. I've had one board go bad. Other than adding additional weight and a Kadee washer between the trucks and frames on my SD70M's, not a problem. NWSL also makes repowering kits for Athearn. Phil
  8. S

When are long couplers not the best?

I use the longer shank couplers on cars with extended draft gear (cushioned flat cars, 60 and 89' boxcars) Are you trying to run cars longer than 50' around 18"rad. curves? Some draft gear is too short to support the longer shank coupler. Walther's older 89' flat was and is notorious for that Phil
  9. S

Tie down chains

I've used the 40 links with Intermountains tie downs. The 27's could be used as anchor chain. Phil
  10. S

D&D Steel

looks good. what size is the footprint? Phil
  11. S

8-40CW handrails??

Utah Pacific made GE handrail stanchions many years ago. Not sure if they are still available. You also might check Walther's. They still list some SV kits in stock. Phil
  12. S

Latest locos for my fleet

You might want to add weight to the Athearn AC. It'll improve its tracking and pulling. Good deal. Phil
  13. S

HELP Needing inexpensive 1/87 scale cars

question is do you want quality or quantity? Kits are still available @ $6-20. More for intermodal. Check swap meets, flea markets and LHS. 2 LHS in my area still have P2k and Accurail kits. One has a good variety of Athearn BB, FRP and other kits from the 80's and 90's. Good luck...
  14. S

lounge car attendants

What was the normal number of attendants in a lounge car in the 50's and 60's? Phil
  15. S

Running in trains/Breaking them in

i like to start them slow and work up the speed. nodifference if new or used. this allows me to see if there is a bind in the drivetrain or any electrical problems. only then, if no problems then i start adding cars to check pulling power. Phil
  16. S

MTH Berk - Derailing A lot

along with the checking wheel gauge, do they all sit on rails squarely? phil
  17. S

HO Coupler Compatibility

Kadee's are #1. Especially if pulling long trains. Clones are changed out at the first hint of trouble. All engines are changed to Kadees before hitting the rails. The clones just are not strong enough or reliable enough to mess with. My opinion. Phil
  18. S

Identifying trucks on Bachmann rolling stock

some auto racks have 33" wheels. truck style depends on time frame. roller bearing are most modern. might consider dispensing with the truck mounted(talgo coupler) cars. most of those have pins to hold the truck in place and not very reliable. would also recommend metal wheels vs. plastic...
  19. S

New member -- Startup selection for HO

one thing is humidity in India. I would avoid brass and steel track Phil
  20. S

Min. radius for Branchline Trains

Ive got their pullmans and they are 80' Most full length passenger cars will go around 22" rad. curve but not willingly. Walthers recommend 24", I think. Tighter curves means either longer couplers, truck mounted couplers or both. Bewre of diaphragms, also Phil

Back