HO Screw Lot Source Help

I have collected a small number of Tyco, Mantua and AHM railcars. Slowly they are converting to high quality trucks but I find myself short on the exact right bolts to use. Go figure, the ARP bolts in the garage are all too big. I've used super glue and the extra nuts and screws from switch kits even. HELP!

Does anyone have a favorite misc. screw lot they've purchased for this and other model railroad use?

Thanks gus.

I, too, have tried to find a source for small screws, especially those 2-56 self-tapping, hardened screws found in Tyco/Mantua steam locomotives. My LHS, which is a large one devoted solely to model railroading and orders a LOT of stuff from Walthers does NOT have any...just brass or soft steel machine screws.

+1 on the Micro Fasteners, MGWSY. That's where I get all my screws for my airplanes. Good priciing, they have stuff down to 0 size and they have great customer service.

I have 2-56 screws in various lengths from 1/8" up to 1" that I got on ebay several years ago. They are steel and Phillips instead of slotted. Mostly I use 1/8" for coupler box covers and 1/4"or 5/16" to mount trucks. I use other lengths occasionally. Several 3/4" screws and T-Nuts (ebay also) hold an 18" long wooden loading dock to a kitbashed styrene background structure making a firm connection that helps stiffen it because it it 26" wide and only 2" deep.

As to self-tappiing screws, I don't use them but rather I use a 2-56 drill and tap set to thread the holes. Then I can use whatever screw I want. I even drill and tap the screw holes in styrene kits like Athearn Blue Box and Accurail.

If you have a local hobby shop then check the model airplane section for screws and taps.

Ive used rtlfasteners quite a few times, they have great service and are quick to ship. They have a servo screw that says in there description it has a thousand uses, there not kidding. If you order a lot, you get a storage case.

Ironman

Back