Min. radius for Branchline Trains

pdqtimetrialer

I've assembled several Branchline trains passenger cars in anticipation of reclaiming my train room and starting a layout again. During an early test I discovered that the Branchline Trains cars require a very large radius, more than what I can accommodate. Does anyone have pictures on how they modified their cars to run a tighter radii, say 22"? The problem appears to be the trucks/wheels rubbing against the center sill. I don't want to modify these cars more than necessary because they really do look nice.

I've assembled several Branchline trains passenger cars in anticipation of reclaiming my train room and starting a layout again. During an early test I discovered that the Branchline Trains cars require a very large radius, more than what I can accommodate. Does anyone have pictures on how they modified their cars to run a tighter radii, say 22"? The problem appears to be the trucks/wheels rubbing against the center sill. I don't want to modify these cars more than necessary because they really do look nice.

I've done a few things to make long cars run on a small radius. Add a thin washer between the top of the trucks & the bottom of the car. This will sometimes help the clearance on the center sill. If it does'nt then you will have to take a Dremel small grinder & take out the plastic where the wheels touch the sill. You can also put a long coupler on one end of the car & a regular length coupler on the other end. Then hook the cars together short to long couplers. They will still be close enough together for looks, but give you more of a clearance on curves. This saying you are using truck mounted couplers. There's a coupler assy. that you can get from Kadee that gives you a much larger turning radius than the stock coupler. I'll try to find a photo of it & put it here.

What are the length of the "branchline" cars? The ConCor branchline passenger cars are around 60' IIRC. I have no trouble getting them around 18-in. radius curves. Now, as was suggested by pdqtimetrialer, it may be necessary to trim some of the details from the underside of the cars IF there is any interference in swing. Likewise, I have no difficulty running Athearn 72-ft cars around 18" radius curves. I have typically used standard-length Kaydee couplers in the truck-mounted gear boxes. The only caveat is that you do have to trim diaphragms somewhat so they don't interfere on the curves. I use Walthers diaphragms but cut one or 1-1/2 "folds" off before cementing the strike plate. I also bend the vertical part of the plates at a slight angle back toward the end of the car and compress the folds slightly. It is true that when running on the tangent (straight) track, there will be a gap between the strike plates, but that is the compromise you must accept in some things.

I do have some difficulty with running 85' passenger cars to run reliably around tighter than 22" radius, and tend to intermix 85' cars with 72' cars.

What are the length of the "branchline" cars? The ConCor branchline passenger cars are around 60' IIRC. I have no trouble getting them around 18-in. radius curves. Now, as was suggested by pdqtimetrialer, it may be necessary to trim some of the details from the underside of the cars IF there is any interference in swing. Likewise, I have no difficulty running Athearn 72-ft cars around 18" radius curves. I have typically used standard-length Kaydee couplers in the truck-mounted gear boxes. The only caveat is that you do have to trim diaphragms somewhat so they don't interfere on the curves. I use Walthers diaphragms but cut one or 1-1/2 "folds" off before cementing the strike plate. I also bend the vertical part of the plates at a slight angle back toward the end of the car and compress the folds slightly. It is true that when running on the tangent (straight) track, there will be a gap between the strike plates, but that is the compromise you must accept in some things.

I do have some difficulty with running 85' passenger cars to run reliably around tighter than 22" radius, and tend to intermix 85' cars with 72' cars.

Ive got their pullmans and they are 80' Most full length passenger cars will go around 22" rad. curve but not willingly. Walthers recommend 24", I think. Tighter curves means either longer couplers, truck mounted couplers or both. Bewre of diaphragms, also Phil

Back