Identifying trucks on Bachmann rolling stock

chrbal

Ok, I'm a total newbie just getting into the hobby - HO scale.

I bought a table with MRC 280, layout, 6 switches, and assorted used goodies from someone on Craigslist.

The rolling stock had been roughly treated by a 5 year old - many of them need new trucks as well as couplers. Some have couplers attached to the trucks, others have couplers on the bodies. I believe they are all Bachmann and probably just cheapos from sets rather than collector's items.

When I went to look for replacement trucks, I was not prepared for the number of choices available.

In short, how do I determine what kind of trucks to get? How do I identify what I have now? Measurements? Some kind of flowchart that lets me look up trucks based on tiny little differences?

My needs are simple right now - I'm not yet going crazy w/ detailed scale replacements (though looking forward to getting into that as I get into the hobby). Just trying to fix some (ab)used rolling stock, and maybe making them a bit tougher so my own kids can't break them as easily. (Metal instead of plastic?)

I can post pics, but I'd rather learn how to do it so I can understand and be self-sufficient later.

Thanks for any advice at all.
-Chris

BTW, this post quoted below seemed relevant (I searched the forums first), but again, seemed way more complicated than I was prepared for:

wheels with ribbed backs (P2K) are not supposed to be on anything more recent than the 1960s.
wheels for cars that are of the 50 and 70ton variety (capacity) are usually 33.
wheels for passenger cars are 36" (for like Amtrak and earlier 4 axle cars...I don't know what the Heavyweights used).
wheels for cars that are of the 100ton variety (capacity) use 36" wheels
wheels for 89' autoracks use 28" wheels (although I have heard some debate about them using 36"
wheels for cabooses are 33"
wheels for most all tank cars are 36"
wheels for well cars are special. Some of the inner ones are 38" while outer ones are smaller.

Last edited by a moderator:
The rolling stock had been roughly treated by a 5 year old -
Does it have much slobber on it? Eeewe! :eek::p

I do N scale.....but was thinking if there is one type of truck that works well included with your stuff....you could carefully observe and note its distinctive characteristics....and try to find those online somewhere. Bachmann rolling stock and many other brands usually have the name on the underside of the car. Or take good truck(s) to your local hobby shop to see if they can match it. Probably many brands that would work. My 2 cents.

Mike

Ok, I'm a total newbie just getting into the hobby - HO scale.

I bought a table with MRC 280, layout, 6 switches, and assorted used goodies from someone on Craigslist.

The rolling stock had been roughly treated by a 5 year old - many of them need new trucks as well as couplers. Some have couplers attached to the trucks, others have couplers on the bodies. I believe they are all Bachmann and probably just cheapos from sets rather than collector's items.

When I went to look for replacement trucks, I was not prepared for the number of choices available.

In short, how do I determine what kind of trucks to get? How do I identify what I have now? Measurements? Some kind of flowchart that lets me look up trucks based on tiny little differences?

My needs are simple right now - I'm not yet going crazy w/ detailed scale replacements (though looking forward to getting into that as I get into the hobby). Just trying to fix some (ab)used rolling stock, and maybe making them a bit tougher so my own kids can't break them as easily. (Metal instead of plastic?)

I can post pics, but I'd rather learn how to do it so I can understand and be self-sufficient later.

Thanks for any advice at all.
-Chris

BTW, this post quoted below seemed relevant (I searched the forums first), but again, seemed way more complicated than I was prepared for:
some auto racks have 33" wheels. truck style depends on time frame. roller bearing are most modern. might consider dispensing with the truck mounted(talgo coupler) cars. most of those have pins to hold the truck in place and not very reliable. would also recommend metal wheels vs. plastic. knuckle couplers in place of horn hook. (Kadee for durablility).Phil

Back