Code 100 Steel Track vs Nickel Silver

High Speed Kurt

Gone Railin!
Hello All,

Has anyone used steel track instead of Nickel silver? It seems a bit more cost effective, I am thinking just for hidden staging yards. The only drawback I can seem to find is that its harder to cut and file.

Thanks,

Kurt

Hello All,

Has anyone used steel track instead of Nickel silver? It seems a bit more cost effective, I am thinking just for hidden staging yards. The only drawback I can seem to find is that its harder to cut and file.

Thanks,

Kurt

Kurt, I sent you a PM.:D

The Pasadena MRC uses steel rail on their layout empire. They had it made custom made. Now, I don't know the specific qualities of the material of the steel but it does look good.

I think it will function just fine. Seems I read it needs cleaned more often. I dunno if I have ever seen a scientific test. After a few more years of experience I will get back with you.

I think you'll find, if you were to conduct a poll, that the majority of HO scale users over the years, and especially those who have been in the hobby for decades, prefer nickel-silver rails because they require less maintenance. Accounting for a wide variance in usage conditions and ways of keeping it clean, nickel-silver's oxide is much more conductive than is the oxide found on steel rails. They will both oxidize over time, but the N/S rails will work even with the oxidation. Neither rails works worth a darn when they get crudded up with the guck that accumulates on (my) few plastic wheels that I have left, and they won't do very well if dust accumulates to such an extent that the metal tires are being wedged upward and off the rail contact points by a layer of household airborn/airdropped dust.

I have some N/S rails with a nice polish on them, as evinced in my photos, so once either rail rail is polished and used well and often, and painted to look rusty and weathered, I don't think most of us could tell the difference.

Hello there,

I agree with Selector, until a last year or so, I was using only, steel track (LL Powerloc).

When I decided to get NS tracks, I noticed a big difference!

Not only are they easier to maintain, the trains that run on them also perform much better. The additional cost is really worth it!

I've fully changed over to code 83 NS track.

Regards.

Good feedback. I have about 100 pieces of nickel silver flex track, I was looking for a more cost effective solution for the staging areas, but I guess like everything in life, do it once, do it right.

Kurt, if you have your staging set up so that the locomotive always leads, and it's just a case of nudging the loco onto a N/S and properly powered turnout onto the 'yard lead', I would seriously consider recycling the used or new steel rails. It depends on what kind of staging. If it is multiple loops, then your engines will have to rely on clean rails to get around them to face the lead again for later use. However, if you intend to back whole trains down the lead, and then through a turnout onto individual tracks, it is really only the first few inches of rails on those ladders that need power...the rest of the rails holding the non-electrical part of the train can be anything, even stripwood.

What I mean is, use the steel if it can be used without too much hassle. Save the money. If your staging yard design will be such that you want it handy and easy to use, such as with whole trains turning around on multiple parallel loops that need good electrical contact, you might be better off with the N/S rails. If they will back into multiple parallel tangent tracks, use the steel and get used to nudging the locos forward until they catch electrical track.

I think it will function just fine. Seems I read it needs cleaned more often. I dunno if I have ever seen a scientific test.

Steel rusts and the rust is non-conductive. Bad idea for model track, especially in a staging area that is somewhat hard to reach.

Nickle-silver oxidizes also, but the oxide conducts electricity.

There is a reason that the vast majority of modelers who are experienced choose nickel silver and almost none (or zero) choose steel rail.

Steel rail is a false economy.

Hello All,

Thanks,

Kurt

I've not used it but have been told it is subject to rusting. Like the old Lionel 0-27 stuff. Phil.

Let's say my son gets a set for Christmas that comes with steel and I pick out a starter set that comes with N/S. Over the long-run I plan to replace the steel with N/S so maybe I leave it in chunks where it isn't glued down and where it is easy to manipulate to replace, will I have any issues with power to start with for mixing the two or will that be more of a long-term issue that I can reasonably expect not to worry about for a couple of years?

Back