Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLIII

What is that model? Who made it? What type of engine is it? I am terrible with identifying those kinds of things, my lack of experience in the hobby is showing now. Am I a pain in the butt?

Jeffery,

I have a Life-Like Chessie C&O boxcar I don't know for sure about condition but I have I paid $5 for it so I would think it would be C-6 or better and I have a Lionel Chessie C&O caboose C-7 both from the 70s, original, no boxes and HO. You could have them if you want them, no charge of course. I won't run C&O in my railroad world.

I'll take them. Plenty of room for them here. I sent you my address in a PM.

What is that model? Who made it? What type of engine is it? I am terrible with identifying those kinds of things, my lack of experience in the hobby is showing now. Am I a pain in the butt?

Bachmann EMD GP30. Built from 7-61 to 11-63. Are you a pain in the butt? I don't think so. I frequently have to look things up myself. Model railroading, though I got into it at the age of four is what I consider as my second hobby. I dabbled in it on and off over the years but didn't pick it up seriously until 1980. By that time I was deep into computers. I work with Apple //e's and IIc's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good afternoon everyone, Hello Francine, how is my favorite waitress, you bet I'll have coffee and some toast and jelly too is you would sweetheart.

It's an odd day here at about 1:30 Pm, half overcast with high clouds and half blue sky, more than enough to make a Dutchman a pair of pants so it doesn't seem like there is much chance of rain rite now but here in the foothills with the higher mountains not too far off things can change rather rapidly and often due. As Samuel Clemens, 'Mark Twain' once said when he was up North a ways in Calaveras County, Calif., which is on Hwy 49, the Old Gold Rush route, 'If you don't like the weather, wait a Minute'! And that just about the truth to come this time of year. How I love the cooler climate in the Fall, Winter and Spring but hate the hot Summer weather. Speaking of that WW says the next two days are supposed to get up to 100 °F. Oh Joy I meant Oh damn.

Lets see what WW has to say: 96.6 °F - Feels Like 94 °F, Humidity is 15% going to 31% at 11:00 Pm and a temp of 75 °F. At about 8:00 Pm the clouds are supposed to really get thick which would indicate a definite possibility of rain showers but I just have to wait and see? Winds are out of the SSW at 4.2 mph and the night time low, actually morning low will be 66 °F.

*Say Louis, You know we really can't have anyone on the forum here that's being such a pain in butt by asking all the questions, it's just unheard of. *LoL* Just Kidding of course! I only know the difference between the newer diesels due to their looks and that's it so I'm way behind you and would have to depend on someone like Jeffrey or others if I didn't do a considerable amount of digging up info and even then I probably wouldn't know where to start either! That's the beauty of the forums, we each have knowledge of various areas and pass the info around freely so don't hesitate to ask as I most definitely would have to also.

Being that I model a much earlier time period, around the Turn of the 1890's to early 1900's the closest I come to any Diesels are my MDC Model Die Casting/Roundhouse Old Time Box Cab - Alco/GE/Ingersol Rand, 'AGEIR' Box Cab Diesels. Interestingly enough, they have their own built in sound system, just their own operation noise, which somewhat closely sounds like a Diesel operating! It's neat and free! Also MDC makes two end sills for them that have two plunger cans them which allows you to turn the Box Cab into a functional Track cleaner and they work fairly well and are a kick to opoerate if you like slow moving Loco's?

I like the newer Diesels but know nothing about them. I stick with my Steam and Box Cabs and the early Climax MDC came out with a number of years back which uses the exact same chassis and central drive system as the the Box Cabs.

> > >

It's now 2:38 Pm and I just came back in from going out to check on some noise I heard, it hot out side and it appears that there is the start of some Cumulus Clouds starting to form, I sure hope so as well as getting some much needed rain!

= = = =

On my C & S West layout, earlier this morning, I did get three Central Valley Tie Strips spiked down temporarily on the upper line that traverses Amalgamate Hill which increases my run by another 3'+ so now I can figure out how the line should proceed from there.

I hear what sounds like a Bourade bomber going over so there must be another fire going on up North? It seems like I can detect a faint odder of smoke which is not good.

Say Curt: I may have misunderstood what you were asking abut prior as I thought it was your own personal layout you needed the info about 'DC' for. But when I reread it I realized it was dealing with the Roundhouse/Museum layout if I am correct? The conversion can get to be time consuming and costly.

Get back with me and let me know what exactly it is your needing?

Talk with you all later.

A weather update from WW: It's now, 100.9 °F - Feels Like 94 °F, that's BS as it's hot out there indeed and feels like 100 °F to me from a bit ago at about 3:00 Pm when I went out. WW's high was only supposed to be 98 °F as I recall so something is a bit odd about their equipment or the Solar Flares are lashing out farther than expected! I guess the fire Dragon took an extra deep breath earlier? LoL

I think someone is trying to roast Central Calif!

*Say Louis, You know we really can't have anyone on the forum here that's being such a pain in butt by asking all the questions, it's just unheard of. *LoL* Just Kidding of course! I only know the difference between the newer diesels due to their looks and that's it so I'm way behind you and would have to depend on someone like Jeffrey or others if I didn't do a considerable amount of digging up info and even then I probably wouldn't know where to start either! That's the beauty of the forums, we each have knowledge of various areas and pass the info around freely so don't hesitate to ask as I most definitely would have to also.

Being that I model a much earlier time period, around the Turn of the 1890's to early 1900's the closest I come to any Diesels are my MDC Model Die Casting/Roundhouse Old Time Box Cab - Alco/GE/Ingersol Rand, 'AGEIR' Box Cab Diesels. Interestingly enough, they have their own built in sound system, just their own operation noise, which somewhat closely sounds like a Diesel operating! It's neat and free! Also MDC makes two end sills for them that have two plunger cans them which allows you to turn the Box Cab into a functional Track cleaner and they work fairly well and are a kick to opoerate if you like slow moving Loco's?

I like the newer Diesels but know nothing about them. I stick with my Steam and Box Cabs and the early Climax MDC came out with a number of years back which uses the exact same chassis and central drive system as the the Box Cabs.

David my friend that is a great post! Thank you for taking the time to write it, I appreciate it and I enjoyed it.
I can't not imagine having such low humidity, being so close to the Chesapeake bay I think it would be impossible. Unless maybe the bay freezes over, but that only happens every 20 years or so. I was not thinking about humidity when it was in the single digit temperatures. Jeffery is on the opposite end of the spectrum for humidity from you.

Jeffery thank you for the information. All my new diesels (all 5 of them) are Bachmann DCC bottom of the line diesels with the exception of one, an Athearn Genesis. I love those Bachmann locomotives. The Genesis is delicate for my clumsy hands and the detail I need a magnifying glass to see. I am happy with my Athearn because it is a gold Chessie GP40-2, but I wish Bachmann hade made in the bottom of the line DCC and saved me about a $175
One is a Bachmann GP30 B&O the colors of yours with the capital dome on the front, like yours. Thanks for the information. I can look up real locomotives by road number, I guess I can do the same with models, DOH!

I was away first playing assassin creed with my grandson then eating a fantastic dinner. Now I am fat and happy.

Yes, I'm a klutz with detail laden locos and cars too. That's why my only detailed locos are METAL. A lot of the rails and grabs I made by cutting and bending small paper clips.

Evening All,

My trip to the train club was very worth while today. I got my new H10s sound adjusted the way I wanted it and Jon the owner spent about 90 minutes working on my double crossover until we could run through it both ways without issue. The fix came down to soldering jumpers on the bottom of the turnout. Tomorrow I was going to weather my H10s but instead I will be putting the track together on my layout and fingers crossed it will work like it should.

David- When I posted about DC I thought the museum wanted to stay with DC but Thursday I was told they wanted to go with DCC. What they want is a continuous loop and a separate point to point track, so the wiring will be pretty basic. I appreciate your offer to help, it means a lot to me.

Karl- I felt the same way until one day I hurt my back and MOH took me to a Chiropractor instead of the ER. Up to that point I was hurting my lower back 2-3 times a year. I have been going for 3 years with no injuries. To me it's worth the money.

Hope everyone has a good night.

Good evening. Rains passed out of Maryland a few hours ago so I think we'll be dry here for a while - and cooler than normal.

I, too, have been having issues with my back since early May: My L5 disk is swollen and pressing against the spinal cord, causing my left leg to go into a painful spasm as soon as I stand up after sitting for an extended period. I was going to try getting a Cortisone injection, but a friend of mine who had it done said it probably wouldn't do any good so I've been holding off. I've pretty much learned to live with it.

I was at the op session last night that Karl missed because of his back. [Karl, I wish you would've texted Keith in addition to sending the email announcement - he was worried about you since you weren't answering your phone.] It was a great session, it took us until 11:45pm to get all the scheduled trains moved since we were short on manpower. I saw a few friends I hadn't seen for ~10 years, that was pretty cool too.

I took advantage of the rainy weather today to get some more ballasting work done on my layout. I'm starting with the engine terminal, then doing the yards, saving the main line for last since that is the most 'visually critical' and I'll have made enough mistakes to learn from by then [hopefully?]. Of course, I hit a stumbling block in the loco terminal: There was a long section of track that was unpainted [i.e. not ballast-ready]; it was unpainted because I still wasn't sure how I was going to permanently lay it. It was to become a service track for the coaling tower, so I had to make sure it and two other parallel tracks lined up to match the coal tower's footprint. Only one way to find out, so I wound up assembling the coaling tower to the point where I could use it to position my tracks. It was roughly 8 hours later when I finally got that piece of track positioned, painted and ballasted. I'll get some more done tomorrow after I've finished mowing the lawn.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend everybody.

Jeffery thank you for the information. All my new diesels (all 5 of them) are Bachmann DCC bottom of the line diesels with the exception of one, an Athearn Genesis. I love those Bachmann locomotives. The Genesis is delicate for my clumsy hands and the detail I need a magnifying glass to see. I am happy with my Athearn because it is a gold Chessie GP40-2, but I wish Bachmann hade made in the bottom of the line DCC and saved me about
$175
One is a Bachmann GP30 B&O the colors of yours with the capital dome on the front, like yours. Thanks for the information. I can look up real locomotives by road number, I guess I can do the same with models, DOH!

Looking up the models isn't as dependable as looking up the 1:1 article. Many model locos aren't designed after a specific prototype. A case in point is the GP40 in Santa Fe war bonnet livery. Santa Fe had only one GP40 in the red war bonnet scheme and the one offered by Bachmann ain't it. However that doesn't keep people from buying them.

The Bachmann locos I have are three GP7's, one GP9, one GP30 (not B&O), one GP38-2 and four GP40's (none SF)(two are Bachmann Plus bodies on new Bachmann DCC OnBoard drives and an all-metal, extremely hard to find Bachmann 0-6-0. I think I have the only one.

Good evening. Compared to the last two days it's been dry and quiet. It's 70° with 72% humidity. Cloudy.

The lightning strikes of the last two days blasted two trees in my yard, both less than ten feet from my trailer. One is already felled and gone thanks to one of the neighbors. I look for the other one to be gone within the coming week.

That's it for today. See y'all tomorrow.

P1010733.jpg

P1010708.jpg

P1010675.jpg

DSCN6421.jpg

pouring_coffee1-Copy.png

Good Morning! Today is Sun 9/14/14.

TIPTON_DEPOT.png

Sunny with a high of 68. I might be going to the gun range today.

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

man whats up with the "crud" here in Florida everybody has
This superbug!## mostly down here, everybody gets sick in nov when northerners come down

WOW!! Didn't even turn on the 'puker' yesterday. After talking to CURT, got on the recliner and fell asleep. Awoke at 12;40 and stayed on the recliner. Feel human again.
ENJOY THE DAY.
Phil

Good morning everyone!

Jeffery, thanks for all the information! and next time the radar shows thunderstorms in your neck of the woods get a baseball batting helmet. They are pretty comfortable and strong enough to protect you from the trains.

Blackz28, there is plenty of.. to put it bluntly, snot going around, everyone in Baltimore has been sick I think.

Flip, glad to know you are feeling good!

off to the grocery store!

Good morning It's cloudy and 62.
I was at our local warehouse store yesterday, and I think I spent more time avoiding the coughing, gacking, should-be-staying-in-bed people than actually shopping.

Good morning from the south 62 and humid hope everybody had a good night sleep no big plans for today just football and the race from Chicago, my collage teams won yesterday Notre Dame and the Ducks from the big O. So hoping the Panthers can win today as far as the race pulling for Dale Jr. Did a little to much yesterday and I'm paying for it this morning but I'm dealing with it I had a easier time with the cancer years ago than I doing with this oh well it is what it is. Everyone have a good day see ya'll later on.

Chris,

Good morning, Patrons of Running BEar's Coffee Shop.

David .... I like your era for model railorading. I once modeled the 1900 era. My fictional railroad was called "Grimensoot Railroad". It served the towns of Hither, Thither, and Yon. Unfortunately, multiple moves between houses took a toll, and the layout did not survive. ... If I find old photos of that layout in its better days, I'll post them.

Some of you are talking about back poain, and I can relate to that. My back has bothered me for over twenty years because a drunk driver drove into the side of my car at 50 mph which broke my back. .... Nothing is so bad it is not good for something, and during my recovery period, I was able to build a Fine Scale Miniatures kit.

We are having very nice weather here in past couple of days, but I have been inside anyhow working on the model railroad. I'm installing grab irons and details on Walthers passenger cars. It is tedius work, and I have several more to go. Also, my pair of Northern Pacific RS3's now are DCC equipped.

Both my Brother In Law in MI and my Sister In Law in TN are still dealing with heart problems. BIL still has complications following his recent quadruple bi-pass surgery. SIL who had a heart attack a few weeks ago, went back in the hospital a few days ago and had more heart surery. Eventually, they should be okay, but the family is worried

Good morning It's cloudy and 62.
I was at our local warehouse store yesterday, and I think I spent more time avoiding the coughing, gacking, should-be-staying-in-bed people than actually shopping.

At one of our grocery stores the other day, I noticed they have installed a medicated hand towel dispenser so you can either wipe your hands before taking a shopping trolley or wipe the handle down. Or both. Would be the 2nd most (or maybe equal first) place to pick up something nasty from. A very good idea I thought.

At one of our grocery stores the other day, I noticed they have installed a medicated hand towel dispenser so you can either wipe your hands before taking a shopping trolley or wipe the handle down. Or both. Would be the 2nd most (or maybe equal first) place to pick up something nasty from. A very good idea I thought.

Toot: ...... The grocery stores do that here also. ... Of course, there is something to be said for being hermit to avoid people. .

Back