Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLIII

Karl, I wish you would've texted Keith in addition to sending the email announcement

Ken, I would have, but Keith rarely turns his ancient flip phone on, and I knew Bill or Ken B would get the email and tell him. A day of R&R (relaxing & railroading) has helped a lot. Its just a little stiff, and I haven't had a Percocet since Friday night. Um, coaling tower? But you run all diseasels? :confused:

I will have to trot off to the Doctor soon. My left arm have been very resistant to being raised over my head, some type of shoulder issue. my lower arm and hand grip seem unaffected, gosh this getting old stuff sucks!:rolleyes:

Hopefully I'll get this done soon

20140913_220526.jpg

I will have to trot off to the Doctor soon. My left arm have been very resistant to being raised over my head, some type of shoulder issue. my lower arm and hand grip seem unaffected, gosh this getting old stuff sucks!:rolleyes:
I had that issue several years ago. It was called "frozen joint", and I got it after a spine disc injury.
It's much better now, after some surgery, though on damp, rainy days (like today), it does bother me.

Morning All,

Ran on the treadmill this morning. I decided that I could stand to do some exercise to help with the weight. only plans for today are to work on the layout, of course that has not been reviewed by MOH yet and we all know how that goes.

Jeff- Glad you are feeling better. You just had a case of Curtitis. just kidding. I was at the shop until 2 PM yesterday with Jon working on my stuff.

Garry-
I continue to say prayers for your family.

Hope everybody has a great day.

Good morning. It's 61° with 100% humidity. The high will be 82° and cloudy.
condmc-1.jpg

Not much happening here. I've been watching some TV programs that I had recorded on the DVR. Next I'll be starting the //e and I may play a game or two later. Other than that I have no plans.

DSCN2335.jpg

DSCN2328.jpg

DSCN2319.jpg

Karl, that is no good! I hope you are feeling better soon.

We are all getting old one day at a time.

Thank God for all my railroad brothers and sisters, I hope sisters. May God be with you and the road rise up to meet all of you.

Good Morning - Happy Sunday!

Guys, it's 57° at the Jersey Shore this morning, which means only the runners, the surfers and the gulls think it's a good beach day.:rolleyes: Temperature never got out of the 60s yesterday.

I've been sneezing my head off the past couple of days. Fall allergies. As soon as school reopens, many people start coming down with colds and viruses Meanwhile, I found my MRI of the knees. so I have just about everything I need for the Orthopedic guy. FWIW, I herniated my L5 back in 1969, while stationed at Ft. Dix. It's been an on and off problem ever since. I have learned to live with pain, so I only get concerned when it causes restricted motion.

Today, I'm removing the rolling stock from the layout, and storing it in containers. next I need to store my structures without breaking something.

Since we all need prayer for our own issues, y'all are all in my prayers today.

Joe

Good morning folks.

Coffee shop was busy earlier I see. That's what I get for sleeping in. I'm eating breakfast while everyone else is ordering lunch!

I have no plans today other than to add a coat of stain to the trim in the garage. Pretty soon it'll be too cold in the garage to stain and varnish so I have to will myself to do it, even when I'm not in the mood. Maybe I'll wander into the train room this afternoon?

Have a good one folks.

David my friend that is a great post! Thank you for taking the time to write it, I appreciate it and I enjoyed it.
I can't not imagine having such low humidity, being so close to the Chesapeake bay I think it would be impossible. Unless maybe the bay freezes over, but that only happens every 20 years or so. I was not thinking about humidity when it was in the single digit temperatures. Jeffery is on the opposite end of the spectrum for humidity from you.

*Hi Louis, I appreciate your friendship and glad you liked my post. Yes Humidity out here is generally on the mild side compared many other areas unless I get an afternoon Thunder shower and then it really increases but that's the exception rather than the rule, thank God. But non-the-less the higher heat still causes a lot perspiration and that requires that I keep myself well hydrated. Of course the grass, such as it is and bushes all need extra water too! So it gets to be a constant battle.

Good afternoon coffee shop patrons, It's another hot one here in Coarsegold, WW says, it's 95.5 °F - Feels Like 92 °F, I don't know about that as I just went out to open the back hatch on my Eclipse and the air felt plenty hot to me. The Hum-i-dity is ? mot up on WW but per my hall Barometer is says 18%, The winds or out of the North at 5.3 mph and the nite time low is supposed to be, 62 °F ?, no info on WW so that an educated guess based on what it has been.

> > >

Good morning, Patrons of Running BEar's Coffee Shop.

David .... I like your era for model railorading. I once modeled the 1900 era. My fictional railroad was called "Grimensoot Railroad". It served the towns of Hither, Thither, and Yon. Unfortunately, multiple moves between houses took a toll, and the layout did not survive. ... If I find old photos of that layout in its better days, I'll post them.

Thanks Garry, I fell in love with the Old Truss Rod equipment many years back in the late "50's so that is what I based my theme and time period on as I also enjoy operating slow freights and passenger service. That still some way off but I am making progress to extend the main line trackage a bit .

Some of you are talking about back poain, and I can relate to that. My back has bothered me for over twenty years because a drunk driver drove into the side of my car at 50 mph which broke my back. .... Nothing is so bad it is not good for something, and during my recovery period, I was able to build a Fine Scale Miniatures kit.

Would it possible be of any kelp to you or Ken to support your weight on a pair of Krutches under your Arm Pits, at least from time-to-time to help take the weight off your spinal column and let it streach out a bit ?

We are having very nice weather here in past couple of days, but I have been inside anyhow working on the model railroad. I'm installing grab irons and details on Walthers passenger cars. It is tedius work, and I have several more to go. Also, my pair of Northern Pacific RS3's now are DCC equipped.

Yes I'm sure that is tedious work.

Both my Brother In Law in MI and my Sister In Law in TN are still dealing with heart problems. BIL still has complications following his recent quadruple bi-pass surgery. SIL who had a heart attack a few weeks ago, went back in the hospital a few days ago and had more heart surery. Eventually, they should be okay, but the family is worried

I hope they pull through and are back to normal again shortly.

Take care for now.

Today's a day to mark on my calendar. My nephew came over and worked on my van without me having to tell him to do it. He put in a good battery, started it up then adjusted the carb until it 'sounded' good to him. That doesn't work for me as my scrambled up hearing rips the sounds apart and reassembles them in a different order. Now he's out driving it to see if see if it'll vapor lock on him. I told him that test is easy. Drive it to town, let it sit for about thirty minutes then try starting it again. If it performs as usual he's gonna need to get a jump to get it started. What's yanking my chain is he's now claiming that he 'fixed' it. He put in a battery and adjusted the carb. Gimme a break! He didn't take anything off or take anything apart. And he says there's no such thing as vapor lock. I told him that technically he's right. It's vaporization of the fuel in the line between the fuel pump and the carb. He needs to face facts. That statement would get him laughed out of any garage staffed by knowledgeable mechanics who KNOW what they're doing. Now I'm waiting to see if he brings it back in ONE piece. He took off out of here driving like some irresponsible punk kid.

Last time the road rose up to meet me was when I was seventeen. Traveling fast on a skateboard and hitting a rock doesn't mix well. I had to dig five rocks out of my hands and one out of my left elbow. OUCH!

Evening All,

MOH made homemade spaghetti sauce today so supper was yummy. Well I was pretty frustrated today to say the least. After about 2-1/2 hours trying to get the cursed double crossover to work I finally gave up. I am going to go with regular turnouts. It will take more space, but I can make it work. I figure I have spent around 6 hours trying to make it work and I am through with it.

After sitting and drinking a cup of coffee to calm down I painted the wheels and did some highlights on the new loco. I should finish up weathering it tomorrow.

IMG_1219_zpsf9322509.jpg

IMG_1218_zps476ee7cc.jpg

IMG_1217_zps47b9067d.jpg

Hope everyone has a good night.

MOH made homemade spaghetti sauce today so supper was yummy. Well I was pretty frustrated today to say the least. After about 2-1/2 hours trying to get the cursed double crossover to work I finally gave up. I am going to go with regular turnouts. It will take more space, but I can make it work. I figure I have spent around 6 hours trying to make it work and I am through with it.
I figured that's what you were going to have to do. I did the same thing some years ago except I cut up a Bachmann crossover to do it.

Jeeze Curt, how many times have I told you,"KISS" Keep it Simply Simple. Heck you know how simple my pike is. And even as simple as it is that Sorry Murphy comes around and messes with it.
Good luck my friend
Prayers and Blessings to all.
Phil

Evening All,

After sitting and drinking a cup of coffee to calm down I painted the wheels and did some highlights on the new loco. I should finish up weathering it tomorrow.

Say Spaghetti, does sound good and and I can make it in the Micro-Wave on the back porch too to boil the noodles and put the rest in the frying pan. Thanks Curt.

As far as your double crossover, I'm not sure what problem your having but my friend John bought two of those from Walthers [Shinohara] and had a lot of problems trying to get the points to throw using any type of above table switch machine similar to atlas. All the actuating arms were too flexible. He finally had to go with Tortoise under the table switch machines as Shinohara's throws have a lot of resistance to them.

Now if you refering to electrical, he set his layout up to work on 'DC' first and tried to wire it to work on DCC later on. But in most cases he's the only one running the trains so DC works fine on all but the smaller loco's such as 4-4-0's if they don't have tender pickup they will stall going through the the isolated frog.

I don't know if this was any help but I figured it couldn't hurt.

Wow, an actual Brown Hoist Crane, thanks for posting the shot, that's very interesting. The yellow grab irons etc are a good idea. I've somewhat considered a very early model of that for my layout but I've only seen one or two on Ebay and didn't get it so I'll have to try again I guess. I'm looking for the earlier smaller steam crane rather than the larger one like Bachmann makes but there price is well in line for the larger one.

[Ouote]
IMG_1218_zps476ee7cc.jpg
[/Quote]

The van runs good now. Not great, but good. My nephew figured out the problem with the hot starting. Turn the key on and push the starter button. the coil won't fire. However, turn the key all the way to start and hit the starter button it'll fire up. He found it out accidentally while fooling around with the wires. Now there's a NEW problem! When he was bringing it back it blew a big hole in the radiator. So it's STILL useless to me. Tomorrow my nephew is going out in search of a triple core radiator.

Here's the kicker. He set the idle way down. I told him the problem with that is that it probably won't idle worth a darn on a cold start until the engine has warmed up. He got mad and started screaming about this this and that then he went to the truck, raised the hood and took the coil wire off so I couldn't start it. I called my father and told him what he did. Presently my nephew comes back WITH the coil wire and my father close behind ready to kick him in the butt. He put the coil wire back on and that was the end of that.

That's all for now. See y'all tomorrow.

P2130486.jpg

P2120459.jpg

P2080445.jpg

Back