Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXII

Good evening Rail Benders & Spike Drivers,
Hi Flo, Francine isn't here, oh, she had to take the day off now. Things seem to be staying busy here at Jeffreys' dinner! Coffee and a Apple Fritter with lots of Cinnamon & Honey. Thanks

Good morning ..

David ... Thanks for commenting on my photo. I do have an ice house on the layout, and it is the common Walthers model. It is at the "west end" of the layout where reefers are iced for a vegetable packing plant, a meat packing plant, and a brewery. Those industries ship their reefers to the City of Heartland at the "east end" of the layout. All comes to the wholesaler partly visible in the photo. I only had room on the "east end": for one receiving industry when three would have been appropriate. So I rotate between vegatable reefers, meat reefers and beer reefers. This keeps the railroad operating department busy. (Not to mention the workers of the wholesaler)

Garry That's thanks for explaning, sounds like you even beat Trump and spurring the economy by keeping all the rail workers and distributor workers busy.

Good Morning Everyone. 31° and clear. It was 87° just three days ago! Did some garden maintenance yesterday for a while. Things dried out from the rain and the new little weeds were just poking their leaves up. Got 'em! Picked my first two asparagus yesterday. They start slowly and then BAM! Gotta pick them when they're ready or they stop producing.
Out in the train shed, I just puttered around. Vacuumed a bit of main line and didn't find any stray parts (good), shop-vac'd the floor to remove all of the yard debris that I have tracked in, removed many spiderwebs from the newly-hatched tiny spiders that are hatching this week (bad). Ran some trains and had a derailment that I couldn't duplicate...may have hit a car with the vacuum earlier.

David - That train wreck video switches from the grain train camera view to the oil train camera view around the 2:30 mark and you are seeing the oil train engine hitting the downed hopper.

Everybody have a great Saturday. The wind is slowly shifting out of the south and will die down this afternoon. I'll be firing up the grill tonight...you'll come by.
Willie

Willie: I'll have to watch it again to satisfy myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm.....Then came Conrail

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

As it turned out Conrail was the Super Hero. Conrail saved the railroads in the world's most important industrial regions and made a profit doing it.

It's a lot more complicated than this, but I'll sum it up this way; that's what can happen when you let good people do their job.

tumblr_n86g9iWdUZ1tq043uo1_500.jpg

Greetings gentlemen!
Happy days, I'm off for a week
Just been watching that PC movie on the Tube!

FB_IMG_1488103386849.jpg

....and my slide collection keeps growing, mostly with Milwaukee Road, but I also add the LV, N&W, RDG, D&H, NYNH&H, WM and GM&O plus some Erie Lackawanna for one of my best pals back in Sweden....
I hope that you all are doing well!

The name of that railroad always sounds like it's spoken by a runner who's out of breath.

Welcome back again agent 113.

Good Morning Folks. A cool 38° and clear this morning going up to upper 60's later today...82° again Tuesday. Spent most of the day outdoors, still removing tree prunings from the yard (over 200 trees). Fired up the tractor and did some mowing in some of the roughest areas, i.e those that I didn't do in the late fall. Sirloins on the grill for supper. I told you all to come by!
Trainwise, I continued a general cleanup in the train shed, I'll have no clue where some of the tools are the next time I need them...always keep a spare. Did a little backdrop painting before I continue the scenery in front of it. Simple wavy green paint along the bottom, nothing fancy. A few vertical strokes on the horizon to represent distant trees. Ran a few trains to keep everything moving.

Eric - Thanks for dropping by with an update. We're all still rooting for you. Get well quickly.
Sherrel - 33°...Maybe you shouldn't have left the truck/AC running with the doors open!
Karl - Nice work, nice pictures.
Louis - Great picture of Conrail 4800. I understand "Old Rivets" was repainted into the Pennsy scheme when Strasburg painted it for the Railroad Museum.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning ....

MILW 113 ... Good to see you..... I suspect you own a slide projector because you are buying so many slides .

TOOT ... I wonder if person out of breath could say they entire name of that railroad. The formal name of the Milwaukee Road was also a long name. (C,M, StP, and P )

Louis ... ConRail did restore priority to eastern railroads. However, they were helped significantly by the Staggers Act of 1980 which deregulated railroads. A lot of miles of track were abandoned in the process.

Have a nice Sunday, everybody.

Good morning..."Call us Penn Central", was mandatory viewing. They shut down operations in order to show the film to the employees, back in 1968. We all know what really happened...Of course, I was there for the whole crazy ride. The second film, the one designed to extort funds from Congress, was never shown to employees in my area, I saw it at a staff meeting. I understand it was staged, but back then things happen...it could have been real... Conrail, went from inept , to a well oiled machine, during it's lifetime. Conrail people were proud of the job they did and the collective effort to build what truly was a Super Railroad.

Since I've been out/away for a couple weeks, would it be safe for me to assume that our good buddy Chet and his buddies in Montana got another jet and have been in Daytona all week?
I suppose it's almost not worth answering unless you're just being facetious.
If' your at Daytona Chet, you have yourself a dam great day.
Be sure to get plenty of chicken wings and cold beer!!
E

I'm not sure what to do about Monday (tomorrow). IF they decided to keep me, then for how long?
Should I bring a model to build or something? I probably won't do that.
I was looking at maybe something small to build and found the Woodland Scenics miniature moonshine still kit #M102.
Even if I didn't build it while in the home I'd still have it around to build later.
Problem is I couldn't find anyone who sells it except WS themselves.
I thought for sure MBK would carry since they do about every thing else out there.
Am I missing something?

About time for [yet another] nap.
E.

Since I've been out/away for a couple weeks, would it be safe for me to assume that our good buddy Chet and his buddies in Montana got another jet and have been in Daytona all week?
I suppose it's almost not worth answering unless you're just being facetious.
If' your at Daytona Chet, you have yourself a dam great day.
Be sure to get plenty of chicken wings and cold beer!!
E

Eric ... Chet's uncle, the retired MILW engineer, passed away at 99. .. The funeral was yesterday. Family members came from out of state to Montana.... When Chet was young, his uncle allowed Chet to ride in locomotives in Montana.

Also Eric... Praying for you as you continue to defeat the Big C.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, tomorrow's the Big Basement Day. My brother and Sis-in-Law came over yesterday and helped us move everything that was within four feet of the wall. I'll be going out later to buy mylar or whatever to hang around it all for dust protection. The cats had vet appointments Friday, and we got something to drug the little beasties with. Because of my shooting, I've got scads of ear plugs. Am I forgetting anything?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Back