Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXII

Chet and Beady .... We are gradually changing to LED's, and are generally pleased with results. When we replace a regular round lightbulb, the new LED does not distribute the light in all directions because the base is like a shade on the bottom of the LED bulb. The new LED shop lights are very good as I said..

Ken .... Sorry to hear about the truck. As for Honda's, we know people who have had a lot of problems with their CRV.

This morning, I posted this photo in Photo Gallery ...

VO1000%20HL2_zpsvpcedhkc.jpg

Afternoon All,

Worked on the project for about 3 hours today. I finished the track area with the exception of a bunch of details that MOH authorized purchase of:D. I have pretty much finished the office area also (not in picture) but still need to make a billboard type sign for the complex. I'm going to call the area "Pennsylvania Railroad Bellevue Container Terminal".

Eric- I am sorry to hear about the nursing home. Stay strong, I know you will beat this yet.

Beady- It sounds like your ride along was more exciting than mine, but not in a good way.

CA Dave- Please be careful on the roof.

VA Ken- I have driven by Richmond several times on I-95. The traffic there is almost as bad as Charlotte.

Garry- Nice photo.

Louis- I talk to Phil every week and try to see him 1-2 times a month. He is doing well, but he doesn't like me talking about his medical stuff so I rarely mention it on here.

Willie/Sherrel- I even wrote the info down about the chairs. I have to take notes to know what to talk about.:confused:

Chet- I love the car dealership with the checkerboard floor and cars inside.

Johnny- You must live in OZ with Toot where everything is upside down! LOL

20170224_115514_zpsznfloeih.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

The weekend is here. Great ride home, the long way.
I'm looking at the bridge and deciding what to work on next. Probably install some more of the vertical cross bracing

Good evening. It's 78, and getting dark.
For anybody interested, that Broadway 2-8-2 on the evil auction place is down to $125. Somebody buy it, so I can quit torturing myself!

Today was a great day, as it remained mostly sunny with the temperature going to 74°. What's not to like?

Guys, once an incandescent or cfl bulb goes, it gets replaced with an LED. Just another way to reduce my electrical use.

Today, was another crazy day. Less said the better. In short, the MIL was scheduled for blood work and other pre op tests at 0800, at the Medical Center. Her ride was supposed to pick her up at the Assisted Living Facility at 0700. This is a service provided by her Medicare Advantage Insurance carrier, that was arranged seven days prior to the scheduled day. No one showed up. (She is wheel chair bound), Naturally, the tests had to be rescheduled. The transportation vendor never called to advise that they were unable to provide the ride as requested, and was "still" attempting to find a driver at 1000. Obviously, the service has no sense of timeliness or urgency. My wife, filed a formal complaint through the insurance company. I don't know how someone can stay in business operating in such a manner. Rescheduled for next Thursday with a different provider. Just another day in paradise.

Perhaps tomorrow, I'll get over to Lowes or HD, and look for some decent lumber for benchwork. Of course, rain and cooler are in the forecast for tomorrow.

Joe, watch the doctor doesn't try to charge for a missed appointment on account of the MIA transport.

For anybody interested, that Broadway 2-8-2 on the evil auction place is down to $125. Somebody buy it, so I can quit torturing myself!

Wait a minute, do you know what you sound like? Like buy this crack cocaine so I don't have to smoke it! It's about time for a 12 step program brother! :rolleyes:

Wait a minute, do you know what you sound like? Like buy this crack cocaine so I don't have to smoke it! It's about time for a 12 step program brother! :rolleyes:

I outran the twelve step program fourteen steps ago.
I can quit any time I want... Honest...

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe, watch the doctor doesn't try to charge for a missed appointment on account of the MIA transport.

Terry: That would really ice the cake, wouldn't it? Anything involving my MIL, is thirty times more complicated than it needs to be...No good deed ever goes unpunished. Worst part is that my wife's RA meds are disagreeing with her, after three years+, and she needs the MIL's drama like a hole in the head. It will all work out, sooner or later.

LOUIS -- Do the "new" Lionel trains have magna-traction?
Just another thought about a RR on the ceiling! LOL
Maybe stronger magnets?

Sherrel that is a thing of the past. I believe it was phased out by MPC and replaced with traction tires.

It was totaled, Chet, thanks for askin'. As I expected it would be, from what I could see it looked like the frame was bent.

I'm actually not upset about it though. It was 14 years old, and even though it was very sound mechanically (only 75000 miles on it), it was still starting to show its age in other ways: A lot of "peripheral" things were failing on it, and the cost for getting those items repaired was adding up. And it was a gas hog! I never intended it to be my primary vehicle, but when my daughter who's in Nursing School said she needed my Solara to commute between her school and the hospital for "clinicals", the truck was all I was left with.

Bottom line: I'm gonna use the insurance check to buy a regular car, preferably another Honda or Toyota - I know from personal experience that their maintenance costs are much lower, and the repair costs are almost zero! Whenever I need the use of a truck, my son-I-L has one and he's only a 10-minute drive away.

Ken even if you had fixed everything it would still be a 14 year old truck and sooner or later something else would fail.

I can tell you from experience the modern Chevys are great cars. If I were you I would go see Karl, I bet he can recommend a good salesmen at his dealership and he knows the cars!

Louis- I talk to Phil every week and try to see him 1-2 times a month. He is doing well, but he doesn't like me talking about his medical stuff so I rarely mention it on here.

Curt please tell him I am thinking of him, he is a great person!

Terry I can relate. The only way for me to keep from buying on eBay is to not go to eBay.

By the way the Athearn locomotive you recommended came yesterday!!! I still have not opened the box. I am going to open it right now!

Late evening all,

Afternoon All,

Worked on the project for about 3 hours today. I finished the track area with the exception of a bunch of details that MOH authorized purchase of:D. I have pretty much finished the office area also (not in picture) but still need to make a billboard type sign for the complex. I'm going to call the area "Pennsylvania Railroad Bellevue Container Terminal".

CA Dave- Please be careful on the roof.

Curt: Thanks for your concern, but, if I've been up there once I've been up there several hundred times over the last 48 years, so I'm very cautious but it's not a steep roof by any means.

Chet and Beady .... We are gradually changing to LED's, and are generally pleased with results. When we replace a regular round lightbulb, the new LED does not distribute the light in all directions because the base is like a shade on the bottom of the LED bulb. The new LED shop lights are very good as I said..

Ken .... Sorry to hear about the truck. As for Honda's, we know people who have had a lot of problems with their CRV.

This morning, I posted this photo in Photo Gallery ...

VO1000%20HL2_zpsvpcedhkc.jpg

Garry: I see the reefer by the loading dock and was wondering if you have an Ice House and platform and what you used to build it?

David - as far as the video goes one of the grain cars derails triggering the emergency braking and bringing the grain train to a stop. The crude train crew sees the grain car lying across the tracks and applies the emergency brakes but it is too late to stop in time and the lead locomotive hits the derailed grain car causing the massive pile up and fire behind it.

Say CMRR: That's interesting how you describe it as to me it looked different. From what I viewed the Grain train was on the Right hand tracks and had stopped, you could watch their slow decrease to '0' and yet the CrudeOT on the Left tracks was passing coming toward the camera on the Left and dragging the derailed Oil Tanker which collided with the GrainT Loco. You could even see Oil spattering against their windshield when they collided and then the GT Loco was knocked off the track and pushed against the side of another road bed on their right. It doesn't make sensed to me and why I inquired.

When the NTSB video starts out your riding in the cab of the Grain Train on the Right hand tracks and I'm fairly sure that they were alerted to the derailment and came to a stop just before the Crude OT started to pass them by on the Left hand tracks. The Grain T was always shown on the Right hand tracks and the Crude OT on the Left hand tracks and the Crude OT were the only ones that seemed to be moving? If otherwise how is it that the Grain T showed it had slowed to '0' MPH? So if the Grain T had stopped how else could the Oil tank car slam into them but by somehow being drug along? And I'll have to admit I can't for the life of me visualize how a tank car could be drug along so it straddled the other track to collide with the Grain T Loco but that's the way it appeared to me!!

Good Morning Everybody. Starting today at 48° and clear. Winds have shifted from the north, and it will be 20° cooler today, with a high of only 66°. Stepped out on the back porch this morning and was greeted by a very strong pungent aroma of one of the local skunks. At the same time, I watched a very smelly opossum run away from the porch...seems that he/she got sprayed earlier. I think that I will wait a day or two before setting the trap. Piddled around the garden a bit yesterday after I completed the weekly grocery/beer trek. Stacked up some of the firewood I cut a couple of days ago so it wouldn't get in the way of mowing.
Didn't feel creative in the train shed yesterday, so I just did a few switching runs. Those generally take 45-60 minutes each. Thanks to all who commented on the chair shop, Chet, Tony, Sherrel, David and anyone else that I may have missed.

David - C'mon fellow. You know better than to get on the roof in the rain, didn't you fall off a few months ago?
In answer to your question, yes there were four chairs included in the kit, but I haven't cleaned up the white metal castings and painted them yet. That will come about when I "plant" the structure.
Louis - Got to admire your honesty, but I agree with Joe on this one. Heck, you don't know that it wasn't already cracked.

Everybody have a great Friday.

Willie

Say Willie: Fortunately No, I didn't fall off the roof just a little while ago, or any time in the recent past, it was probably about 7 years ago or more and that was due to the slick oak leaves on the Garage roof at the other end of my home, actually the front edge of the garage roof over the train area. I was sweeping dried Oak leaves off the Shakes and stepped on a small pile of them and they don't offer much traction but a good ride off the edge! LoL ! What saved me there was an Italian Cypress that I fell into and it let me down so gently that I landed on my feet in a fairly gentle fashion. It almost made me want to do it over, but I didn't.

Now as far as the splash block being cracked prior, I think that was my comment to Louis unless Joe also said the same thing?

I hope everyone has a very good and uneventful Saturday!

Good morning fellers! It's finally the weekend. Rain today so it would appear today is a good train room day for me. I have some more structures to build. I was advised by my wife that seeing as how the winter has for the most part come to an end to hold off on the truck for now. Unfortunately for me it also means I lost out on one SD50 that I could have gotten. But I'm in on another and I have backup plans should it fall through on me. The wife would like to see my layout completed as I have alot of time and effort in it. I do cherish her support. Y'all have a good day. I'll hopefully post some update photos today as things come together.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Good morning. It's cloudy and 63, heading for a high of 32.
I think my local weather channel is suffering from a glitch...

Good Morning, 14 and sunny. No snow.

Justin--happy to hear of your wife's support of your model railroad. My wife is realizing more and more how good it is to have the hobby in my life, she even came to the hobby store with me last week and helped pick out things for my new projects.

Good morning ..

Curt
.... Your project is looking great so far. Thank you for commenting on my photo.

Justin ... If you complete your layout, that may be unusual. Many model railroaders say their layouts are never completed.

Terry .... It may not be a glitch with the weather guesser. The cold front went through here last night. It was in the 70's yesterday, but now it is 33. I probably not be washing the car in the driveway today.

David ... Thanks for commenting on my photo. I do have an ice house on the layout, and it is the common Walthers model. It is at the "west end" of the layout where reefers are iced for a vegetable packing plant, a meat packing plant, and a brewery. Those industries ship their reefers to the City of Heartland at the "east end" of the layout. All comes to the wholesaler partly visible in the photo. I only had room on the "east end": for one receiving industry when three would have been appropriate. So I rotate between vegatable reefers, meat reefers and beer reefers. This keeps the railroad operating department busy. (Not to mention the workers of the wholesaler)

Chet .... Thoughts and prayers for you and your family as you attend the funeral today for your uncle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back