Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXII

Garry - Nice to her that another locomotive is being restored.

When they moved the Little Joe, it took them a couple of days to move it about three quarters of a mile. I went to Deer Lodge and stayed with family so I didn't miss anything.

Howdy

Regarding Daylight Time, it must be extremely costly to change millions of clocks twice a year. ... Another useless "accomplishment" by Congress.

Garry: You are perhaps too kind to Congress :rolleyes:. I read, this morning, that there is a drive to move the State of Maine into the Atlantic time zone. Come to think about it, when the Eastern time zone goes into "daylight" time, we are the same as Atlantic time. There are scientific studies that allege that remaining on daylight time all year, results in more energy efficiency. I don't know if that is true, but we should decide once and for all to pick a time and stick with it. Either "standard" or "daylight", pick one and make it permanent.

Had to stop at the local ShopRite, and it was about 3x busier than an average monday. Guess everyone is buying in to the concept of a major snow storm.

Chet. It must have been interesting watching the Little Joe being moved. I'm wondering why the E9 had "MRL" on it.

Joe ... when I hear the phrase "scientific studies", I become skeptical. ... LOL. ... Ooops. I had better be quiet before I'm accused of being a denier by somebody out there. LOL.

Sherrel - You are right about Daylight Savings Time. It can really screw things up if all of the states aren't on the same time. Indiana does not change times and the whole state with the exception of the northwest corner near Chicago. Confusing ? Don't know what will happen up here. If you are coming across North Dakota, the time change is at about Bismarck where it goes from central to mountain time. Depending on what time of year, you could have to go back to central time when you hit the Montana border. Th same would happen if you went south from Montana into Wyoming. A watch would probably confuse things even more.

At least if that happens, I'll have an excuse for not knowing if I'm Coming or going.

You think YOU have problems with daylight savings?
MGG1061030.jpg

Chet. It must have been interesting watching the Little Joe being moved. I'm wondering why the E9 had "MRL" on it.

Joe ... when I hear the phrase "scientific studies", I become skeptical. ... LOL. ... Ooops. I had better be quiet before I'm accused of being a denier by somebody out there. LOL.

I believe that Montana Rail Link (MRL) did the restoration of the E-9 in their Livingston, Montana shop. They have one heck of a shop there. When MRL first started out, they were rebuilding locomotives from other railroads for their use. I can remember driving past the shops and seeing dozens of locomotives, many ex CNW locomotives lined up awaiting their trip to the shops for rebuilding.

57a22f4b27e92.image.jpg MRL Livingston Back Shop 1.JPG GoogleEarth_Image-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Howdy

Regarding Daylight Time, it must be extremely costly to change millions of clocks twice a year. ... Another useless "accomplishment" by Congress.

Chet ..... Another locomotive is about to be hauled with a machinery mover contractor. It is the 4-8-4 steam locomotive at a city park in Nashville. It is the NC&StL "Dixie". It will be in the shops for a couple of years preparing for excursion train service.
Is this it Garry?

the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis 484 Steamer.jpg

This is the J3 - 576 that is being restored, I just found this at http://www.nashvillesteam.org/history/
Wow so cool!

Hey!

This signature is intended to irritate people.

I believe that Montana Rail Link (MRL) did the restoration of the E-9 in their Livingston, Montana shop. They have one heck of a shop there. When MRL first started out, they were rebuilding locomotives from other railroads for their use. I can remember driving past the shops and seeing dozens of locomotives, many ex CNW locomotives lined up awaiting their trip to the shops for rebuilding.
Wow thats amazing!!

The E9 had MRL on it because the private person that owned the engine had MRL perform a restoration on it. He ran out of money, and MRL ended up with the engine. There's more to it than that, but that's the gist of what happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's very interesting to me that everyone wants to restore a 4-8-4 to steaming condition.
Why don't they pick something else that would give a variety to the steam community.
Too bad that no one thought to keep around one of the NYC Hudsons, or is their one somewhere that I am not fam with?

It's very interesting to me that everyone wants to restore a 4-8-4 to steaming condition.
Why don't they pick something else that would give a variety to the steam community.
Too bad that no one thought to keep around one of the NYC Hudsons, or is their one somewhere that I am not fam with?

If I remember correctly, none of the NYC 4-6-4's were preserved. ..... There is a CB&Q 4-6-4 preserved however.

A few days ago there was some discussion on hauling disassembled airplanes. I just found the eBay seller who makes the up in N scale. Look for lazergy.

This signature is intended to irritate people.

Tony ... I took this photo of the Dixie about five years ago. I took another last week in the rain, but it is not a good photo. .... So far no signs of it being moved from the park. .... Thanks for the link .

Dixie1.jpg

Chet .... That is very interesting about Livingston.
Wow so nice to see it in color (so cool!!!)

Back