Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXII

I didn't think the SD50 was around before the C&O dropped out of existence.

Sunday night here. Daytona 500 with all it's wrecks and a new winner are in the history books. The Maybruary weather here kinda OK. Not sure what to expect next.
Tomorrow is another work day. 358 days to retirement.
The SD50 was the last locomotive produced in Chessie colors. Afterwards it was CSX paint.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Prototype SD50s
87126cea2edde49962ea3448fe04144b.jpg

76ebbea3a48edf1d13b3ee0e9db9e81a.jpg

Last post before I call it a night. I may struggle to get an SD50 but at the end of the day I have my work horses. Here are my most photo captured units. My staples on my layout. My Athearn RTR units got their wheels cleaned. I have noticed a lot of grime build up on my wheels. I don't have to look far to know where it's coming from. My hopper wheels are nasty! So I'll be cleaning those starting tomorrow and give my track a really good cleaning as well.
994e4a3c8f458f1ba73dc5c83589980a.jpg

Y'all have a good night and I'll catch ya'll in the morning.

Good morning fellers! 6:18am here in West Virginia. Coffee is brewing here on a rainy start this Monday morning.

Good Morning Everybody!
My boys and I went to the Roundhouse Model Train Show at the B&O Museum yesterday. We were a bit disappointed in the train show. Believe it or not we had never been to a train show before and we were expecting something amazing, It was lack luster at best. Maybe we were expecting too much.
The salesmanship of the vendors was unenthusiastic, the displays were nothing special and the merchandise was disappointing.

I did enjoy a few good conversations. One was very enjoyable.We met an old fellow who was selling his personal collection because as he said “my kids are not interested”, we felt bad for him. But if you ask me his kids must be jack asses. My boys and I spent over 20 minutes talking with him and he kept us all entertained the entire time. If you are familiar with 7 and 8-year-oldboys that is no easy task! He had toy soldiers that were over 100 years old, Rare Lionel trains from every era and much more. Best of all he told great stories about his merchandise that were amazing to listen to. I should have taken a picture of my boys staring at him, almost in a trance as he spoke. I did not think of it until later because I was mesmerized too!

I also had a good conversation with the MTH and Bachmann representatives, but they bored my boys. Sadly, Lionel was not there.

The saving grace was we were at the B&O museum and we always find something fun to do and see there! The old guys who volunteer are always worth the price of admission. They seem to know everything and answer every question in detail. Not to mention the coolest real trains on the planet!

I did see they will soon be doing a demonstration of the turntable in the historic roundhouse, we can’t wait to see that!

Have a great day Everybody!

Last edited by a moderator:
Justin, CSHS is showing one SD50 for sale on their website. Have you checked with them?
No I have not. Shoot I haven't paid them a visit in forever! They usually carry stuff I'm interested in. I'll give them a look.

OK fellers. Back to my stomping grounds in southern West Virginia. NF&G back in the mid 50s.
9aa62d42b44c9aa99b86bde2e6c9e426.jpg

C&O steam at Meadow Creek jct. This is where full hoppers were switched out with empties.
a6dea70b6525de961f562248f185ccee.jpg

NYC locomotives outside the engine house. All that is left today is the engine house. Everything else is gone. There isn't even tracks going to it anymore. The engine house sits right across the road from the Army Reserve Center where I served for some time after I left active duty.
ff709e883d4558ec60879b12ff88e20c.jpg

The NF&G was a paper railroad. From reading about its history they were thought to have no equipment at all. Here is the wreck crane labeled NF&G. If you wonder what NF&G stands for. It stands for Nicholas, Fayette, and Greenbrier. These are the counties in which the railroad served coal loadouts. It is all but dead now with CSX bringing in maybe 40 hoppers a week.

Great pics Chessie and even greater countryside in the background, even though I'm a YANKEE through and through, I love the south.

Good Morning All. 57° and overcast with a hint of mist. Winter may be over around here. Had to do a little more mowing yesterday, many trees are budding out and the garden looks great. After a couple of warm days today and tomorrow, it's upper 60's for a high for at least a week. Seems to be a repeat of last winter...very short.
Resumed landscaping out in the train shed yesterday. A late New Years resolution...really need to complete more. I probably have $250 worth of ground foam, ballast, detail parts, tree-making materials and foliage; just need to kick-start myself. Maybe 2% of the layout has been completed from fascia to backdrop, with many more partially completed scenes in between. There's always something to distract me.

Eric - It's not a "nursing home" any more. It's an assisted living center. I do wish you the best of times there. Hope that you hear some good news at the oncologist today.
Justin - Nice job on that caboose.
Curt - Entryway into the container facility looks real good. Where did the fence come from? Looks like some Bar Mills InstaFence that I use.

I'm going to move over, we should be hearing from Chet, Tony, Johnny and a couple of Ken's soon.
Everybody have a great day.

Willie

This is a good read. Present day CSX serves the Anjean flood loader. It's probably the only loadout that has been captured in photos as it's the only one sitting next to a highway. Route 1 also known as Anjean Road runs right by the loadout. I have actually seen it in person. The conveyer actually crosses the road. If you follow the tracks out of Rupert, WV it'll take you to the loadout on Google maps.

Good Morning:

Going to measure the layout floor today for carpet or rubber squares to cover the floor. I know that should keep the dust down to a minimum.

Yesterday traveled for the day up to the cabin to see a friend who lost his wife on Friday to ALS. She was basically fine in September and now gone.

Tomorrow, I'll start my DownTown Deco industrial flats. Over the weekend I emailed the owner of the company about a question I had and I had a reply this morning in my in box. Great customer service.

Today, going to finish two Cornerstone building flats that are for my Saxeville Interchange area. One is made fro left over parts from other buildings. I already have four buildings completed and in place. All are weathered and somewhat modified from their original plans. Two of the buildings are the same but with the changes no one really notices the that they are the same kit. Added signs, details and painted them difference colors.

Have a nice day.

Greg

Good morning. Cool this morning at 21 degrees.

It was a busy weekend with the funeral, but it was great to see so many family members that we haven't seen in years. Over 50 people attended from all over the country. A lousy reason for a reunion but we may be having a reunion every few years in the future. A really nice get together.

I did check in on Tap Talk from time to time to try to keep up with what was going on in the forum, but I do have a bit of catching up to do.

Eric - It was nice to see you check in. Hang i there guy. We're all pulling for you.

Karl - Really like that little Whitcomb switcher. Wouldn't mind finding one myself. Liked your shirt. I did get to see the race on Sunday, but the new rules and race format totally turn me off. My wife, also a NASCAR fan left the room and read a book.

Louis - Sounds like you had an interesting time at the B&O museum. Your boys must have had a good time.

Justin - Those are some nice photos you posted. Nice caboose.

Curt - Nice photo. You sure don't waste any time when you get into a project. Nice looking facility. Thanks for the comment on the Chevy dealership. It does have a lit and detailed interior. Here are some closer photos.

IMAG1073.jpg IMAG1075.jpg

In the second photo, you may be able to make out the salesman behind his desk with a customer and a Chevy poster on the wall.

Joe - I did enjoy you story about the Penn Central films. Keep the stories coming. You can head back into the shadows.

Have some work to do. Catch you later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chet:

Your Chevrolet dealership reminds me of one that is in a small town near my cabin. It also was located on a corner and was small, but recently relocated and is now much larger in size and lost that small town feel by rebuilding.

Nice work in capturing the dealership in HO scale..

Greg

Greg - It is a bit modern for the time I think. Many dealerships back in the 50's really didn't have much of a showroom. Many were just a store front with a garage inside to service their cars. Dealers didn't usually have a lot of cars in stock back then. You would come in and more or less custom order a car the way you wanted it. Not much of a lit of options back then either. Showroom like this were just starting around 1957.

Thanks for the comment.

Good morning all. Man, that coffee smells good! I'll have a cup of regular and a cinnamon doughnut, please. 34 and sunny in this neck o' the woods, going up to 62 today, and 50's-70's this week. Yesterday it was snowing and mid 30's when we got out of church. Ground is too warm for it to stick, but it sure was purty!!

Garry - I bought an LED 4' shop light for my woodshop. Works great. Thought it might be TOO bright for the train room, but I do need some more light in one area over the layout.

Milwaukee Rd 113 - Nice video of the NYNH&H. Glasgow! - Never been that far north. My wife is from England - her family is mostly in or around London, and her uncle, whom we visit every 5 years or so, lives in Taunton.

From the trainroom - got more of the track around the trainyard spiked down, mounted the control center, did some scenery work. Getting better at gluing roadbed and spiking track - a few of the first sections look amateurish, but nicer since then.

See ya later. Have a good day, everyone.

I figured I'd post one last one before work. I visited the Chessie Historical Society website. I can get my SD50 at a fraction what the scalpers on eBay are asking. But however they have two locomotives in stock that are of high interest to me. One being a C&O GP7. Oh man I've been looking for one of those a lot longer than an SD50. Ofcourse they also have a B&O GP40 in the blue and yellow scheme I like really well. Also thanks to everyone for the nice compliments on my C&O caboose. 3 hours of work on that project. I feel as if though it turned out really well. Y'all have a wonderful rest of the day. I'll check in later on tonight.

All - Meant to upload a photo of layout progress, and hit "Post" too quick.
The outside tracks are spiked and work fine - keep running a loco over them to make sure connections and curves are okay. The cardboard is the footprint for the new 2-bay loco barn (not built yet) - the other rails will constitute our version of a trainyard (limited by space). Got the control center bolted to the benchwork, and will start running the main bus to the feeders.

Feb26-17.jpg

Quick Question - I've got a power supply for the track. I need a power supply for accessories. I do have an old Tech II power supply that I could run accessories off of, but it looks funny having a train control just for accessories. Surely there are power supplies out there that don't look like a train control - any suggestions?
Thanks. Again, have a good day.

Back