Coffee Shop XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished putting the Athearn Dow Corning covered hopper together. Being it was glued together with super glue it won't be coming apart anytime soon. I fitted it with Kadee #119 shelf couplers. For the curious, those are scale size same as the #158.

P3252253.jpg

I also figured out the pickup problem with the Walthers GP9. The pickups work so much better when the ends are behind the wheels and not sticking out above them. Fortunately the Walthers trucks are somewhat easier to disassemble than Athearn trucks.

Say Jeffery,
I like the way the shot of the, 'Dow Covered Hopper' turned out, it's sharp for sure! I also like the way you painted the Red wires that detracted form your shots, it look a lot better. Some dark earth or grass covering the white area below the plug would also hide that area nicely. But one thing at a time.

Could you get a close-up of the #119 Kadee coupler in comparison to the regualar #158.

I wasn't even aware they made any different sizes such as a scale size? I always thought the #5's or the like were made to scale! You taught me something new.

That pretty much sums it up. One of my friends thinks his ex had some kind of spell on him so he'd always think she looked great. Now he can't stand the sight of her.

Got five new freight cars today. The first two are a Model Power 2-bay hopper and a Cities Service Oil tank car.

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z471/j56616-142/P3252255.jpg

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z471/j56616-142/P3252266.jpg

The next three are Bachmann Silver Series.

Santa Fe all-door box car.
http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z471/j56616-142/P3252259.jpg

Santa Fe 50' steel reefer.
http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z471/j56616-142/P3252263.jpg

52' center depressed flat car with transformer load.
http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z471/j56616-142/P3252264.jpg

Remember them as they are now. They won't look this clean for long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the boxcars look pretty decent with the road grime on the sides. Next time I'll do better I'm sure. After looking them over and comparing them to color photos on Shorpy.com, I decided to weather the roofs as well. I scraped some black chalk and applied it with a stiff brush to the roof. It's amazing how much better they look without brand new looking boxcar red roofs. I had already sprayed them with dullcoat before any weathering so I don't think I'll dullcoat them again. We'll see I guess. My locomotives are looking way too shiny now compared to the rolling stock. I don't think I have the nerve to try weathering them yet though!

I'm not afraid to weather my diesels, at least not as afraid! The steam locos are the ones that have me worried. Maybe I'll start with a shot of dullcoat. Then I could try chalks to see what's what. One step at a time!:D

I've been sidetracked, so no work on the layout for the last few weeks. One of the projects I wanted to get out of the way was refinishing the stock on a 50-year old .22 rifle. I have no idea why it was important to do that except I've been hauling the gun around since I bought it at the Navy Base Exchange all those years ago, and the thing was really beat up, probably from being stored in the corner of the garage along with the shovels and rakes. It turned out really well, but now I'm trying to find a butt plate for it, and that's going to be tricky.

The gun is remarkably good shape. There is no rust, and everything seems to be working properly. Actually, that's a bit of a miracle because the garage I stored it in for a number of years was flooded a couple times. I'm looking forward to taking it out in the desert and blowing up some beer cans.

Morning all from Ye Olde London Towne. After record temps at the beginning of the month things have settled down to typical autumn weather. Cool and cloudy with highs around 15c (59f). NMRA British region convention starts tomorrow but life has conspired against me and I can't make it. Even though I booked the time off work 9 months ago, as well as the following week. D'oh. It will give me 10 days to myself to do nothing but tinker in the shed and finally get some modelling done.

Take care all and have a great day.

Good morning folks.

It's sunny with a high in the low 60's today. Quite the change from a week ago. This is perfect fall weather if you ask me. Nobody asked me!:D

I used the leftover ground up chalk from weathering the boxcars to weather the depot roof. It's not perfect but it fixed that plastic model look I was unhappy about. Not a bad train day at all.

I'm off to work.
Have a good day everyone.

Followed my father this morning as he took his RV to DeRidder to have the rear window seal replaced. We went to DQ for breakfast then went back to pick up the RV and head back home. Despite being twenty-three years old it didn't experience any problems.

What have I been up to since then? Well I grabbed some new freight cars and the weathering powder and now the cars don't look so new anymore. I have another tank car coming in a few days, a 70's era (looks like Atlas/Roco) Frontier Chemical tank car. Saw it on Ebay for $9.99 with free shipping and just had to have it. It should be here this weekend.

Good Morning Guys - ah actually good afternoon now.
I see/read where the subject of weathering has come up and I have to say that my attempts in the past are nothing spectacular as far as I'm concerned. Fortunately most of the Older car kits, mainly Model Die Casting/Roundhouse, I've assembled have been painted with a dulled down appearance so they aren't too bad but possibly could use a shot of dull coat too!

Here's a shot of a couple of old time tank cars showing my futile attempt at weathering. I also noted I left the Zerolene tank car unfinished.

Old_Time_Tank_Car_Weathering_shot_on_Anglin_Oil_siding_Reszd_803x535_DSCF5405.jpg

Too bad the photo is so small. I can barely see it.

Thanks Jeff, I know, for some reason I didn't choose the right link I guess as in my gallery it expands just fine so I'm not sure just what happened?

Any idea what I did wrong? Had this problem once before but forgot what I did to correct it?

Now I can't even get the image to come up?? I'm trying, 'Copy Image Location'.

Well it looks like you copied a thumbnail. I would go to the full image and copy it's link and post that between IMG tags.

Thanks Jeffery, yes that is what I did so I will sure do that.

Ah, yes, a tad better now! Thanks again Jeffery, loosing Mom has disrupted my thinking more than I thought.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back