Coffee Shop XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening..........Jeffrey.

I figured I better stop by the coffee shop before it goes out of business!:) I've been at work all day so there hasn't been much to say today.

I have tomorrow off with a few things to do but I hope to get in some train time. I have a new building kit that needs to be bashed and built so that should take a good amount of time. It's a fairly complex kit from Walthers so it should provide a few hours of train building fun. Actually, tomorrow will more than likely be cutting, gluing, and painting the main parts. Assembly will have to be another day.

I hope all are well.
Have a good night.

Good evening Guys,

It's been a fairly comfortable day here in Central Calif. as I don't think it ever reached the expected high of 85* I believe it was supposed to get up to.

The crew is back at work on the C&S West SL RR. Today they spiked down the planks
that were used to make the crossings for the Anglin Oil siding as well as the main line so things are beginning to take shape which is good to see for a change.

Crossing_planks_at_the_Anglin_Oil_siding_and_the_main_line_Shrp_Crvs_-_Reszd_904x603_DSCF5417.jpg

Good morning. It's 64° and wet. The high will be 71°. The chance for thunderstorms is 50%.

I woke up at 5:30 this morning to thunder and rain. The rain continues in a slow drizzle but the lightning and thunder has moved on. The storm is moving ESE and radar shows it about to cross into Mississippi. The trailing edge of the storm is moving through here now and radar shows no activity behind it. The rain gauge shows 0.59" so we got half an inch. It was much needed and we need a lot more.

This mornings photo shows a foggy morning in Sundown.
P3312354.jpg

Good morning folks.

Last night I started building my Walthers Argosy book sellers. This is one of those kits that has like 100 pieces. Looking at how many trim pieces have to fit inside each other, I think I'll just dullcoat the parts instead of painting them. Normally I paint everything but the colors are good right out of the box. My first step was to figure out how much I had to cut off the length to fit in the given spot. I took a deep breath and hacked off a quarter of the kit. Kind of a shame but it won't fit otherwise. When I get back from my appointment I'll start assembling this thing since I'm not painting it.

On with my day off.

Have a great day folks.

I got my Tyco covered hopper today. That was fast. I wasn't expecting it for at least another week. It's being fitted with body mounted Kadee couplers as I type.

P3312358.jpg

It's in very good condition considering it's age. The only thing missing was the brake wheel and there's hardly a scratch on it.

EDIT: 12:59 pm

I got the couplers mounted and nailed the height dead-on just eye-balling it. I borrowed the couplers from a tank car I don't use much.

P3312362.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those crossings look real good.

Thanks Jeff,
I appreciate hearing that, I think I was too quick and too heavy handed at applying the dark weathering to simulate black tire marks especially to the actual crossing boards when in reality they probably would be fairly devoid of such marks but probably would get some Oil drippings. Think I'm going to try and use some thinner on a rag to see if I can't lighten them some or a lot as the case may be. Ah hind sight.

Things are shaping up for you too I see, it all takes time.

Btw, that's one very sharp close-up picture above Jeff! And yes I also say you couldn't get much more exact at being at the same height! Speaking of that on one of the loco's I built from a kit, an inside frame HOn3, that I moved the drivers out on the axels
to fit std HO gauge, it was a little tank loco that was meant to be a static loco that I motorized, I had to make a brass U shaped coupler housing for the back and put a spacer in it to somewhat support a coupler that is attached using an actual coupler Pin and that coupler literally hangs down a bit like I have seen in pictures of real locos. It still works though!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good afternoon guys,
It's very comfortable at about 70* with the high going to 88* as claimed but we'll see?

There was a very unusual and beautiful sky at around 11:00 AM that looked like choppy waves that were pushed by the wind leaving fine wispy streamers behind. I should have taken a good picture of that as it would have been quite some sky to use for back ground!

Hope everyone has a good day along with enjoyable modeling!

Good evening. I've moved and spread about 7 of the 20 tons of gravel that got dropped in my driveway. Ugh...

Now would be a good time to have a snow blade on a lawn tractor!!! :D

Thats the voice of experience talking. When I was 14, my dad decided to enclose the "parking pavilion" behind the house to make it a garage. He dug a 6 inch trench around the perimeter between the poles, then instructed me to remove all the rest of the gravel the next day, and spread it over the driveway, as a cement truck was due Saturday to pour the floor. Imagine his shock when he called my Mom that afternoon to see how I was doing, and she said I was done!
No shovel and wheelbarrow for me~! Nope, I ripped the mower deck off and installed the snow/gravel blade and used it for all it was worth!!
Moved all the crush and run from a 20x40 area, 6 inches deep in about 4 hours!!:D
All Dad said was "good job, smarta$$!":D:D:D

After getting the Tyco hopper converted to Kadee's all I had left in front of me was a couple of cars that were underweight. A boxcar and a gondola. A few sheets of lead cut from a roof vent took care of that. The lead is so soft I can cut it with a 5.5 inch pair of scissors. I bought two of those vents at Lowe's a couple of years ago with this purpose in mind and they've saved me a bunch on weights.

Morning everyone hope your all fit and well.
Not been in for an eternity, or so it seams. Just contemplating what to have to eat and Bills showing me pictures of juicy steaks and eggs :( all i can find is soup and beans, the cupboard is pretty bare at the moment and thats not going to change anytime soon :(

Good morning. It's 51° and sunny. The high is projected to be 67° and it will be partly cloudy so the weather guesser says.

Had breakfast with my father this morning then printed out some emails for him then we went to iboats.com to look at boat seats and seat pedestals. So far that's been my morning. No idea what I'll be doing later.

P3182166.jpg

Jeffery- enjoy a calm quiet day when you can get it.

I have been involved in too much drama over the last few days, so I could use a couple quiet days.

Now, back to my hidey hole!:D

Evening gang!
Saw something today that warmed even my old crusty heart. Stopped in a local Jiffy Mart to get a beverage. This store also has a Subway sandwich shop. A young Marine in full dress uniform and an older man who appeared to be a farmer were chatting at the Subway counter. They continued chatting over to the cashier as I took my place in line behind them. As the Young Marine was being rung up, the farmer reached ahead of him and told the cashier that he was paying for the soldiers lunch. When the Marine objected he told the young man that he had already done enough for us, and that the least he could do was to buy his lunch. They shook hands and the Marine headed for the door after thanking the man.
The cashier and I were both just speachless for a moment as we watch the farmer leave.:)
Realizing what just happened, I am going to keep an eye out for these young men and women when I make my lunchtime treks. The farmer was dead on right. For what our servicemen and women do, the least we can do is buy one lunch when we can.:D

We now return you to your regular programming, trains!
97%20at%20shop.JPG

Good morning folks.

Karl, stories like that make me smile.

I'm getting over some sort of bug that had me in bed by 8:30 last night. I was shivering and sweating at the same time. I've been really tired the last three days so I should have known I was getting sick. After sleeping for over ten hours last night I think I feel a little better. Man I hate being sick!

I managed to assemble two thirds of my building kit the other day. Hopefully I can get a chance to finish up the last third of building this weekend. It's quite the neat looking building.

Other than that I don't know much.

Have a good day folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back