Coffee Shop XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good late morning from Coarsegold, Calif.
Seem that due to difficulty getting my system booted up and after reading a few things
this always about the time I finally get connected. It's now 11:55Am Bummer!

Well anyway the weather is not too bad as it's 64* but the nights drop down into the lower 50's I'm sure. I also noticed more of the Turkey Vultures circling just a bit shy of being directly overhead so the cold weather is going to be setting in shortly. Sure glad I got the well & electrical controls secured properly, now I need to get some Aluminum siding put on the roof of the tool shed to seal that up good which is over due too.

Say Corey: some flat latex spray paint is a fairly easy way to change the shinny plastic look of the roof, I'm not sure what WalMart might have but I do know their Camouflage paint is a good choice if the colors are right? Or of course Floquil Weathering Spray. Hopefully the roof can be easily removed to avoid having to do too much masking of windows etc.
I'd say to spray at a bit of a distance so as to just mist it and then possibly use a dull coat of some kind or possibly just the dull coat would be all it takes?

Hope everyone has a good day!

Last edited by a moderator:
A little grime could look good. I use a bit of it myself.

P3232206.jpg

HMMMMM!
Looks like all the folks partying a Rex's house over the weekend are still hung over. Maybe some of them will check in by late afternoon.

Don't know about their hangovers Mikey, but mine is from my treatment last Thurs. Some months I have little to no reaction at all. This month however, is a doozy!

I've been taking the pain medicine for my RSD for it but it wears off after a while and it takes time before I can get any further relief from a new dose.

Layout work has ground to a halt during this, but as soon as I start feeling better it will startup again.

We've laid in the approaches to the coal mine and have the ties down for it, but haven't started on the rail yet. In that area we have about 10 turnouts to lay. Gonna be fun.

I was supposed to go to the club meeting to get my Civil and Electrical certificates awarded, but still hurting too bad.

Good morning. It's 63° and sunny. The high will be 86° and it will be mostly cloudy.

Well this morning I got down to the business of wiring my two Bachmann GP7's together into a permanent consist. I was thinking the hardest part would be running the wires from the light board of one unit to the light board of the second unit. It seemed to me that it would be something like threading a needle at midnight with no moon and no light source in a high wind. Turned out it was about as easy as falling off a log. Simply solder the wires to the light board of the A unit, run them down the sides of the weight, thread them through the bottom of the frame where the gear towers come through, thread them through two tiny holes drilled in the pilot either side of the coupler then do just the reverse on the B unit working from the pilot up to the light board. Did I neglect to mention the units are joined tail to tail? That adds just an extra little wrinkle to the wiring. I tested for shorts throughout the procedure as the last thing I wanted to do was have to take it apart again. The only difficult part was getting the shells back on. They had to be set on rear first as the wires were run through the rear facing pilots. Naturally there was some slack in the wires. I took most of it out by twisting the wires together in a coil, tied them off with a short length of scrap wire and pushed the bundle down on top of the couplers. There's not much chance of them coming uncoupled as the couplers are Kadee #118 shelf couplers and the trip pins have been cut. They would need lots of help to come apart. And for the DCC folks wondering what of the programming of the decoders of the two units, both were independently programmed before the units were joined, one to run forward and the other to run backward. Both were set to the same address months ago. I used two colors of wire for this. Black and red. My advice to others who attempt this is to use all black wire or black and another dark color such as purple. Trust me, the red stands out very well. I had been putting this project off for months because I thought it was going to be hard. Turns out the hardest part was getting past my own doubts about whether I could do it or not.

P3242209.jpg

CJ- Sorry to hear the medicine is making you sicker than the illness.
Your certificates can wait until you are feeling better.

Jeffry- I like the weathering you did on the two locomotives.
I have been blowing the "weathering" off my engines as I have started to pack up "train stuff" for a move early next year.

Keep the pictures coming of the latest projects.

Glad you like those Mikey. Here's a couple side shots. In case you're wondering both units started out as UP 116 models. As you can see they ended up very different. Yes, the angled cab is from an SD40 as are the fans.

P3242217.jpg

P3242219.jpg

Don't know about their hangovers Mikey, but mine is from my treatment last Thurs. Some months I have little to no reaction at all. This month however, is a doozy!

I've been taking the pain medicine for my RSD for it but it wears off after a while and it takes time before I can get any further relief from a new dose.

Layout work has ground to a halt during this, but as soon as I start feeling better it will startup again.

We've laid in the approaches to the coal mine and have the ties down for it, but haven't started on the rail yet. In that area we have about 10 turnouts to lay. Gonna be fun.

I was supposed to go to the club meeting to get my Civil and Electrical certificates awarded, but still hurting too bad.

Say Carey.
Your situation sure doesn't sound like much fun. Sorry to hear about it.

I looked it up on the web and they talked about using Capsaicin to releive the pain and sensativity of the skin. I was wondering if something like Blue Goo/Blue Stuff that is sold at Walmart OTC wouldn't possibly do just as well and be less costly? It also has a fairly high content of Menthol in it plus Emu oil so do not rub your eyes untill washing your hands good.

Hope this might help!

Good afternoon, it's a nice sunny but comfortable day at about 55* with a slight breeze.

Oh, now I need to see if a foxy lady messaged me on Plenty of Fish, one of the forums sponsers?

That's where I meet Dana my GF!:D we have been together for over a year!:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the wires painted. Color is called 'Cooled Lava'. Painted the track wires as well. Got some slightly better shots of the GP7's and added them as attachments. I don't want the dial-up guys too mad at me.

DSCN1576.jpg

Today I received several packages. One contained several near-mint Tyco freight cars.

Another had an unassembled Athearn Dow Corning covered hopper with the DOW diamond.

There was also a Walthers Alaska GP9m shell and a new multimeter.

P3242236.jpg

Good morning. It's 62° and partly cloudy. The high will be 87° with a 20% chance of afternoon thunderstorms increasing to 40% in the evening.

Nothing much going on today. I plan to examine a Walthers loco to find out why it has bad pickup problems. Only the first wheelset in the front truck is picking up power. The rear truck isn't picking up at all.

P3252245.jpg

I just finished putting the Athearn Dow Corning covered hopper together. Being it was glued together with super glue it won't be coming apart anytime soon. I fitted it with Kadee #119 shelf couplers. For the curious, those are scale size same as the #158.

P3252253.jpg

I also figured out the pickup problem with the Walthers GP9. The pickups work so much better when the ends are behind the wheels and not sticking out above them. Fortunately the Walthers trucks are somewhat easier to disassemble than Athearn trucks.

Good afternoon folks.

It's cool and raining today. That's good, we've had next to no rain for over a month. It's bad because I wanted to clean my car. Oh well, you can't have it both ways.

I finally broke out my airbrush that was purchased two years ago. I hadn't used it since it seemed like a hassle to clean. I found out today that clean up is easy.:eek: Since I haven't purchased the adaptors to connect to my compressor, I used the canned air that came with it. Boy is that hard to control! I only used it to weather some boxcars so it still turned out okay. I think that will be the one and only time I use the canned air!:) It was still good to give it a try to see if I liked the results. So far so good.

And now back to my traintastic day.:D

Have a good one everyone.

Good Morning,
It's 10:12Am and the temp is 68* under partially hazy skys.

I seem to be drawn in different directions so I'm not getting the working on my layout as I want to.

I'm in the process of building a switch and want to take pictures of the steps so others will know how to also build one if they want to. It really isn't all that hard to do. Just a bit time consuming but the results are worth it.

Also I've been having a problem to get my images to process properly which doesn't allow them to be put into my photo gallery to display them so I can't display anything due to that. Hopefully that will get corrected?

Have an enjoyable day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back