Coffee shop one-three

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon all, nothing but doom and gloom here, several locals killed in road accidents, one on a railway foot crossing, i hate foggy cold damp dark mornings, and with a spot of black ice thrown into the pot, not good.

got to go into work at 5.30 to do some training, then at 10am i'm off to an old friends funeral, he wanted a land rover send off from the club we were in, he's going to get one to, around 200 in total in the procession from his house, i'll get a picture of that. He's going to be towed by his pride and joy on a suitably done up trailer to the church.

Good Morning to All,
It was a cool wet night and morning with .68 of an inch of rain & a temp of 41*F earlier.

Cris, apologies if I didn't wish you and your wife a HAPPY Aniversary before.

Philip your compareson story makes a lot of sense, thanks!

Jim you said, 'David, sounds like you saw a track geometry car. They're used to electronically check track gauge and alignment and they mark spot that need attention as they go along.

Where did you see the station and water tank? I don't recall any standing water tanks on the Donner Pass line although there are several wood flumes that generally follow the tracks.

Thanks, I had no idea what that long double ended thing was.

As far as the Water Tank with the Wood Shake roof, 6 or 8 segments?, barely showing and what may have been a small Station? Roof directly to the Right or West of it, it seems that was some place near Boomtown or headed down to it as the terain there was lower hills and a bit more level. The tracks still set well below the Highway level and of course on the right as your droping down towards Reno.
Wish I could be more specific but that was the first time I'd been over Donner Pass in about 40+ years.

I don't recall seeing any Flums in that area but imagine they must have been beyond what I was looking at or more appropriately try to see! There were a number of snow sheds up higher that ran for a long ways.

Interestingly enough, I used to know an older fellow, about 30 years ago, who drove trucks and was actually caught in the Donner Pass Snow Storm that also stranded the train and he told me that he had stopped at a small restrurant/Coffee Shop due to all the Snow and that the train that was stranded was only about a quarter of a mile away but it was snowing so hard that they couldn't hear the Whistle being blown!

Tale care and Everyone have a Good Thanks Giving !!

Phillip, a very apt post for all of us to think about tomorrow.

Tom, are you nuts? Of course you shouldn't be walking in a parade with a cold. Forget all the grief of cooking too. Most restaurants have decent Thanksgiving Day spreads so take out the family and give all of you a rest. I hope you feel better with some rest. You need a lot more than you are getting.

Steve, I hate those damp, foggy mornings too. The worst part is it doesn't seem to affect how people drive or watch out for where they are going so the inevitable accidents always occur. That sounds like a neat idea for your friends funeral. I'm sure he'll appreciate his last ride with all of you there. I have been to more police funerals than I ever wanted to and we do the same kind of thing. Agencies show up from hundreds of miles away and it's not unusual for several hundred police cars to be part of the funeral procession.

David, if you look to the right coming down the grade into Reno, you'll see many miles of wood flumes, some of which follow the tracks and some which are closer to the highway. They supplied water for domestic use in Reno at one time but most are only used for local irrigation purposes and are not in very good shape. In the winter, it's easier to spot them since they leak and huge icicles form beneath the leaks. I've spent a fair amount of time in the Boomtown area chasing trains and still don't recall a station or water tank. There are a number of farms houses with wood shingle roofs and some water storage tanks for the farms so that may be what you were seeing. I really miss that area sometimes but the blizzards over the Pass can be a real problem. There have been several instances of passenger trains being stranded in the Pass by snow, the most famous being the SP City of San Francisco for six days in January, 1952. I imagine your truck driver friend weathered the storm at Nyack Lodge, a common place for everyone to take shelter when they can't move anywhere else on the Pass.

It's a cloudy and cool day here in the Southland although I'm sure still mild, at 58 degrees, compared to a lot of parts of the country. This is the first Thanksgiving I can remember in years where some weather event didn't snarl travel across the country. There are no major storm systems anywhere in the US, very unusual for late November. A Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends here.

I want to wish everyone an Early,
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

I'm going to be spending all day tomarrow at the in laws and as for friday I Will have my hands full with my wife!;) So everyone. I'm thankful for having good friend's like you!:D:D:D:D One again Happy Thanks Giving and See ya Saturday if I survive;):D

"Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!"
And to those of you that don't observe, please join us in giving thanks for the many blessings that we all share.​

11-27-2008

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png
:eek:
SteakEggs.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png
Diner.png

menu_breakfast_1.png
waitress.png

PILGRI321.png

Happy Turkey Day!

It's 58 and cloudy. The high is expected to be in the mid 70's and there's a chance of rain.

I got the pedestrian bridge leveled yesterday. The next step now is to spray it down with Matte-Finish (outdoors of course) to get rid of the gloss. I talked with my niece in Colorado (younger sister's daughter) last night. She can't believe her son is already a year old. Next thing she knows he'll be walking down the aisle. Next I talked with her mother in Pennsylvania. She and her other half are working to get the farm house they recently bought into shape and expect to be in it by Christmas. It's near Newport on the edge of the Little Buffalo State Park. From the photos I've seen it's a very nice looking house. My mother says it looks like a typical Pennsylvania farm house.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 11/27/2008

Wind Chill: 58°F
Humidity: 95%
Dew Point: 57°F

So Far Today
High: 58°F
Low: 56°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 5mph S

Today High: 75 Mostly cloudy. A slight chance of showers in the morning...then a chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 70s. South winds around 5 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent.

Tonight Low: 62 Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms. Lows in the lower 60s. Southwest winds around 5 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n3/proudIndian/P1010472.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I've already read the silly newspaper this morning. Everything is half off twice the price. Oh wait, it's always that way. Now it's 60% of twice the real price! Don't buy it just because it's 'on sale'! I hope everyone has a nice day surrounded by the ones you love. You Canadians can join as well. Although, I don't recall being invited to your Thanksgiving a while back.:D

Morning, everyone.

Happy Thanksgiving to all. Corey, there was at least one of our Canadian friends who did mention Canadian Thanksgiving Day and wished us well. I learned a long time ago there's no price low enough to get me out in the cold at 6 am fighting a rabid mob of shoppers. :)

Phillip, LOL, good cartoon.

Bill, hello to you also and thanks for the Thanksgiving touch. I really appreciate you opening the coffee shop for us every day.

Jeffrey, those Pennsylvania farm house sure look nice but my uncle had one and it was a money pit. I hope it goes better for your sister. It's supposed to rain here for most of the weekend. I'll believe it when I see it. :)

I'd better save space for Thanksgiving dinner, Flo, so just a cup of coffee and an English muffin for me. Pretty nice outside with a temperature of 61 already and just a few high clouds from what I hope will be an approaching batch of rain. It's so dry here that the trees are starting to chase the dogs.

Jim, you're right. I do remember one of our friends from the north wishing us a happy Canadian Thanksgiving. My boss and I have been joking about opening at 4 o' clock. We decided that 4 pm would be more likely than 4 am!
People aren't exactly lining up at the door to buy something for Dad.

Have a very happy thanks giving everyone

Went to my old friends funeral today, he was driven to the church by his son on the back of the land rover, they had built a special trailer just for the job, it was very moving to see it go by, and the mourners that came, LOL there were hundreds and i mean hundreds of land rovers driving by his coffin. the police closed the main road to allow this to take place, a sight very rarely seen.​

Brian on his last Journey, he was a true gent in every respect of the word.
pics042.jpg

and just a 10th of the convoy of land rovers
pics038.jpg

Thanks, it was his wish for all who knew him from the various land rover clubs including the red rose land rover club to drive by the church

Just spoke to my brother who also went, he said almost 300 land rovers in the procession and 400 inside the little church !!! good or what.

Man, I am full enough to last a week without food...I won't though. Got plenty of pies, cakes, and of course...Turkey left over. We had a wonderful day with around a dozen family and friends over for the dinner.

Steve: That's a grand send-off for your friend. He must have had the love and respect of many.

HEY MIKEY!!! Do you know what you get when you cross a pig with an Auburn Cheerleader?.......NOTHING........the pig will not have anything to do with her. yayayayaya...zing....zing....zing.:D:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice indeed, Steve. He must have been a great guy. Looks like half the Land Rovers in your part of the country were there. I'm glad the police cooperated.

Corey, I have the feeling not many people are going to be lining up to buy old Dad much this Christmas. The apparel business is going to be a tough one this season. :(

Rex, I'm munching on a turkey sandwich as I type. Why is it turkey always tastes better Thanksgiving night than Thanksgiving day? We'd better hope the Tide does a good job taking Auburn apart or we'll never hear the end of it from Mikey. :)

You have that right, Jim. Mikey will tear into us bad...if he can find me. :D

You know, you were talking about how the crowds would be for the upcoming game: they are now expecting in addition to the 92,000 fans in the stadium, another 30-40,000 tailgating and watching the game on the "big screen" that will be on the Quad. (the quad is the huge open area in front of the library.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back