Coffee shop one-three

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning (Is it still early enough to call it that?).

Nothing cloudy, gray day. 42 out last I looked.

Yesterday we got some snow, hopefully it doesn't snow again today.

Since I missed my class today, I have an extra hour to play around with the layout room and getting stuff put away in it. Maybe I will think of a track plan for once.

Good Morning from Coarsegold, CA,
It a cool 42*F again under high Cirrus clouds.

For a change, yesterday evening and night I finally put in some more time on the layout getting two switches & some rail spiked down, one short section between the switches I find I have too much of a curve to it so I have to shorten those rails a bit and respike them in place, a good job for this morning after breakfast and then to finish cutting the Anglin Oil secondary siding code 55 rail to length an getting it spiked into place. After that I need to make the final connection on the main line code 70 rail with the code 100 that runs down grade in the tunnel and get that rail spiked in place.

Then the next thing I should do is to build the another table to place along side the table that will hold the Amalgamate Hill & Mines which is directly next the section I'm currently working on. With this next table I can then relocate my transformer and start routing all the power buss lines to get the various blocks electrictifed.

Finally things are comming together!

Say Dan, Why not let some of us here on the forum give you some ideas about your new layout?

Hope everyone has a good day!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lunch time fellows: Jim is buying lunch and dinner for EVERYONE!

Another dreary day here in T-town. I hate days when it looks like rain and does nothing. Not really a problem though, I will just go to the layout and be absorbed into another world;):).

This is a bad time of the year to catch a cold around here. With our temps fluctuating from warm to cold to warm, it is hard to dress properly or for our bodies to adjust. I will confess that when sick with a bad cold, I am slowwwed to a near stop. If a "case of the belly", just go ahead and shoot me. Chris and Andy, hope the bug leaves you soon.

Jim/David: Have you ever ordered anything from Glockstore.com? I ordered a 15 rd clip, but got to thinking I should have checked with you. They are in San Diego.

Corey Glad you're ready for the big leap. You are so right in being careful with the track installation. That has to be the most important part of layout work. A fancy, scenic layout is nothing, if the trains won't stay on the track.

David

I have asked, and I have gotten tons of great responses. It is I just tend to change my mind every 5 minutes on what I want to do. Only thing I am for certain on is the roadname (fictional, not based on any prototype), modern time, and that I want to hand lay the track.

Evening all

Rant alert !!!!! be patient with me mod's, i have to get this off my chest before i go on the roof.

We all got letters today from our big American parent company, 20% of the workforce are up the road tomorrow, the big American fan is spinning and the sh1t just hit it, were taking a massive hit below the belt in the name of the credit crunch, which has ruined my evening meal somewhat. Were talking big numbers here they own Peterbilt, Kenworth, DAF, Dynacraft to name a few common brands, and with close to 20'000 employees we are slipping down the slippery slope into hell.

Rant Over

Glad it's Friday tommorow :)

CJ, that's first time I've heard of brass bearings in a gearbox. No wonder the gearbox was shot. I'm surprised it ran at all. It's good that you had a spare gearbox but you're probably right, the repair won't hold up long. I had most of my brass when I lived in LA and the smog was murder on those neoprene tubes so I ended up replacing them with plastic universals. I guess, away from smog, the neoprene holds up OK.

This was a first for me as well Jim. Nearly every other gearbox that I've dealt with in brass steamers, from old Internationals all the way up to the last offerings from Samhongsa, all had bronze bearings. I had never noticed this in the Daiyoung before. (Even the old Daiyoung gearboxes I have, have brass bearings, after I checked). Sorry about the drawings,:) but my camera is dead and needs batteries, or you would have gotten pics instead. But I am saving the bearings as "evidence"!;)

Rex; Yeah, Scott says it does pull alot better now although he says the speed is still a little slow. I think that is in the decoder, as it ran at least twice as fast on straight DC, with no decoder in the circuit. Since I don't have a programming booster, and you do, I'm sure that with your help, he can get his answers.

Say Rex, Don't forget to check Midway or Cheaper than Dirt too as they both have some good sales!

Did you ever get your AR-15 back when you left Da Nang? Were you able to bring it home with you?

A buddy has one and it seems pretty neat!

Dan,
It takes me quite awhile too to determine what I think I want to do, take note I said think, I find it's better to take a little extra time and mull over the plan your considering
rather than just jumping in on the first thing that comes to mind.

I'm a great one for getting things down on paper, like my plan I'm working on now only to realize after looking at the actual situation that it might be more functional if I changed things a bit here and there. Actually, that's exactly what I did on the present section I'm working on as I found that by swaping two areas of the layout things would fit in better. So I'd have to say it pays to be flexable in your design and willing to make changes as needed.

I've been hand laying rail and building switches for a long time so if I can be of any help just hollar.

Talk with you later.

Afternoon, everyone.

Chris, you need to get some heavy duty nerve pills from your doctor and then spend the time resting while you're sick. Being out cutting grass can't be good for a cold.

Andrew, I hope you're feeling better and have caught up on your reading. I think you shipped the rain by DHL and they are going belly up here in the US.

Corey, I never glue down track until I;m 100% sure that everything is where I want it and everything runs well. I use track nails and maybe a few spots of latex caulk. Once I'm sure everything is right, I trace out all the track and then use latex caulk, one section at a time, to glue it down. I check the newly glued track with another train just to make sure everything stays in alignment. Getting all the trackwork as close to perfect as you can takes a big load off your mind and then you can move on to other aspects of building your layout. I think you're getting too hung up on trackwork, which means you'll be in the Plywood Pacific stage for about the next five years. :)

Dan, at least you get some diversion by watching that crazy senate race up there. I've often wondered if all those cold winters doesn't do something to cause Minnesotans to vote for nutty candidates more than the rest of the county.

David, looks like a pretty good off-shore flow is setting up for tomorrow and Saturday so keep your eyes open for smoke. Half of Southern California will be on fire for sure.

Rex, since I'm buying, I guess I'll just have a cup of coffee so I don't have help Flo wash dishes because of the rest of you gluttons. What model Glock do you have? I have found that www.cheaperthandirt.com tends to have about the lowest prices on things like clips but don't forget to check with your local pawnshops too. We have one here that's a decent gun store and also has good prices. I got a 50 round magazine for my Ruger .22 rifle there and it was about $10 cheaper than on-line.

Steve, I'm sorry to hear the layoffs are hitting hard over there too. Is your job affected? I hope not but things do look bleak in the near term and laying off staff is the quickest way for a company to save money. :(

My brother tried to sneak his M-16 back from Vietnam in 1970. Had it all broken down and stashed in things like his socks and pants in his duffel bag. He almost made it except for a final bag check when they were boarding and the MP's found the firing pin. He also had a few pounds of C-4 they also found. He spent a month in the brig and was knocked back down to E-2 for that stunt. I think he holds the record in the US Army for the most times going from E-2 to E-5 and then back again. :D

Partly cloudy to cloudy, warm and muggy down here. Supposed to be some rain from some magical front which hasn't yet developed. It looks like the only thing we'll get out of this is a cold, windy evening in Tuscaloosa, hopefully watching Alabama kick butt again.

David: I saw the Midway site and they were out, but expecting them in soon. They were a few bucks cheaper. Glockstore didn't say anything about being out...hope they have them in stock. They are getting hard to find.

No, they didn't give me the AR-15 back when I left, but I made darn sure they gave me an official letter to give my squadron in Japan. I sure didn't want to buy that thing. You know, many people get the wrong idea about the AR. Because they see them in gun shops they think they have always been semi...wrong. They were full auto and sweet to shoot but not nearly as dependable as the new M16A2. All the ones I fired while in the service were made by Colt under license by Armalite. Another little fact is the Air Force had them long before the Army's main force got them in 1965. Heck, the Vietnamese Army got them in 1961 to field test them.

EDIT: Jim, you sneaked in on me. I have a Glock 23.

Say Rex,
Sorry I missed your question before, I thought it was just meant for Jim. No I haven't ordered from them, generally tend to order from out of state, don't want to subsidise Fei,
Bx or Pl if I can help it. Can you believe they closed down all gun stores in SF proper!? Thank God I don't live near there.

Jim,
According to the weather report for the Central area of CA where I'm at it shows nothing buty Sunny weather but being near the High mountains weather can change somewhat rapidly especially during the Winter. Eighteen miles North are 9,000ft mountain ranges and only a couple of miles farther North they go up as high as 13,00+ft.

I wanted to say I sure appreciate your springing for breakfast, the coffee shop and flow apreciate it too! Hi Flo, God am I hungry this afternoon, let see what do I want?

Say Rex,
Thanks for the inside tip about Jim buying!!

Everyone have a good day!

!

I'm the opposite now. Once upon a time I used to just try and ignore things and keep on working. I've found it just makes it much worse. Thanks to growing up in a smoke filled environment my lungs and throat are very suseptable to secondary infections. For me, hitting a hot tub and resting as soon as something starts up means I lose 2 days work and feel much better. The alternative is usually feeling like crap for 2 weeks and a run of antibiotics.

Brother, I lived my first 8 years in east Los Angles!:eek: I remember the smog alerts and having sore lungs from breathing in the wonderful yellow air!:( I'm real prone to secondary infections too. I think mine is creaping into a infection now:( I found cutting out taking antibiotics has cut my infection rate way down! Long while back everytime I got sick I would go to the doctor and he put me on a butt load of anti's and med's. and I seemed to get sick more often! Now, I hardly ever see a doctor and I only get sick 2 to 3 times a year.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jim I know I need to have my prozac upped:DLOL's I'm able to us my nose now:) the fresh air and the fresh cut grass made me feel a little better. I got the worst symptoms over with and all I got left will be to get the mucus out of my lungs and I'll be right as rain and as fresh as new snow:D
I should be able to sleep tonight long as my nose doesn't get stuffy like last night:) See Work does make you feel better:D:D:D!

Steve Sorry to here about your job's, it's the same here to companies are changing to adjust to the new world economic's!:mad: It sux to wonder if your going to get a pink slip when you go to work! My job is still iffy at time's, I'm wondering what next October will hold for us. I'll pray fer ya brother. Just keep on keeping on, and remember your not alone:). Here Steve have some fun with the boss: http://joecartoon.atom.com/cartoons/152-the_boss

I just finished replacing a block switch on my control panel, the only plastic center-off DPDT on the panel. And it was for block 1. There wasn't anything wrong with it on DCC but on DC no power was going through it. I've got an all metal DPDT in it now, identical to all the other block switches on the panel. At the time I built the panel I didn't have enough of the heavy duty all metal DPDT's and had to use a plastic one for block #1. I think it did good to last 7 years. It was a Wal-Mart cheapee too. All the others came from Radio Shack.

The economy has hit this area hard with many cutbacks and layoffs including: B.F. Goodrich laying off several hundred and Mercedes going to 4-day work weeks.

Jim: First, I really really, appreciate such a fine free dinner. To be honest, I can't afford a 16oz New York cut with trimmings and desert, but thank you, thank you.:p Oh, thanks for grabbing the tip.:rolleyes:
BTW: You do know that game time is 6:45pm, right? Well, dress warm as it is suppose to be in the upper 40's at kickoff and 30's by the end of the game.:eek:

It's tough all over, and it's only going to get worst! I'm just waiting for the brown shirts to be marching down the street!LOL's

Afternoon, everyone.

My brother tried to sneak his M-16 back from Vietnam in 1970. Had it all broken down and stashed in things like his socks and pants in his duffel bag. He almost made it except for a final bag check when they were boarding and the MP's found the firing pin. He also had a few pounds of C-4 they also found. He spent a month in the brig and was knocked back down to E-2 for that stunt. I think he holds the record in the US Army for the most times going from E-2 to E-5 and then back again. :D

That reminds me the M.A.S.H. series when Radar was caught mailing a Jeep Home Part at a time. :eek::rolleyes:

Jim,

I am getting caught up in the idea of laying track. My entire layout will be flex track on cork on foam. I'm not sure how to hold the flex track in the curves without gluing it. Any thoughts on what to use? I think I'll just have to start and see how it goes. My last layout was mainly sectional track so I could just set it down to see what was what. I need a day off with nothing to do. Hah, like that will happen!

Corey, go to a place like Micahaels and ask for florist's pins. These have two heavy duty legs joined by about a one inch connection at the top. You can sink them right into your cork roadbed of foam and they'll hold a flex track curve like glue while staying right on top of the ties. You can run a train over them with no problem. You may have to use several per curve to maintain the alignment but they are cheap, work good, and, if you don't like the results, just yank up the pins and start over. Way better than glue.

Rex, happy to buy you dinner, just don't blame me for the heart attack. :) I just figured out today that the start is actually 6:45 our time after seeing 7:45 all over the place. It would be nice if they mentioned a time zone. It does look like it's going to be a cold and windy night but I don't think we'll have any rain left over from our magic front, which still shows no signs of developing. Oh, yeah, Cheaperthandirt has Glock 23 factory original 13 round magazines for $30. Don't know how that compares to your 15 round mag. We had some guys use those aftermarket 15 round mags with their 23 and they had a lot more stovepipe jams so run at least 100 rounds through it and make sure you don't see the same problem.

David, you may be up too high to get the winds and too far north. Looks bad for SoCal though.

Chris, you're the only guy I know who ever told me cutting grass made his cold feel better. My brother also tried to mail home an Army .38 caliber S&W in pieces hidden in Vietnamese rice candy and caught doing that too. He was a slow learner back then. :D

Well, our rat died tonight and my best friend's dog had to be put down. Not a good night for animals. I hope there's a heaven for animals to go to. :(

O.K. I woke up breathing:rolleyes: That's a good sign:D I have slight congestion and a splitting headache.........I got a good 6 hours of rest and feel well enough to work! Only time i miss work is due to other family matters and or unless i'm in so much pain I can't see right and drive safely to work:( other than that what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger:)I guess:D

Jim, your brother sounds funny!:D M-16,.38, and c-4.........My kinds of people:DLOL's Jim, I have to work through my pains. If my wife and I swaped places. I might be dead:D Work helps me keep my mind off the pain! I must of missed reading you had a rat:eek: What did ya kill him with? Mine are gone!

Rex/Jim, Your lucky your wifes will let you have guns:) Mine say NO to real guns! My son and I can have airsoft and thats it:( All I want 30-6 with scope, shot gun and a MP5. but I can only dream!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back