Search results

1. D

Starting over... Again...

Here we go again. First layout started was a 6x10 donut that got as far as bench work and foam. No roadbed and no track. Second layout was 6' x 12' with two 1' x 4' staging extensions... also benchwork and foam. But that time I also got started on foam mountains and a tunnel. Moved again...
  2. D

Scale to Acres

Hi, On a whim, I decided to take a prototypical "Oval" and find out what model scale would be most appropriate to model on a 4x8 sheet of plywood. To be honest, my goal was to prove that HO is the best. My results, unfortunately, do not agree with my hypothesis. So for starters, assuming a...
  3. D

Mini Projects?

Hi, I recall an article, maybe two years ago, that explained how to build a tie pile... So I cut up some match sticks and built some piles. Very cool. Once I stained the matchsticks with some India ink and let them dry, I was able to build these mini projects in one sitting. What other...
  4. D

Local Hobby Shop burned to ground

For anyone in the Rochester NY area, you've probably heard of and perhaps been to Despatch Junction. Unfortunately, it caught fire on Monday evening and burned to nothing. Here's a couple of links...
  5. D

Benchwork and Foam base installed, now for some buildings

Hi, Long story short: Packed up the old layout in progress about 3 years ago to prepare for a move. Moved and settled in and now working on the new layout. It's a 6' x 12' doughnut. Walls with sky backdrop built and painted. 2x4 benchwork built. 2" foam base installed. NOW I've taken all...
  6. D

New Layout - Benchwork Started

Hi, Well, we moved to a new home about 2 years ago. Had to take down my 7x10 free standing doughnut layout (just benchwork and foam at the time). I'm now ready to get started at the new home. The space is a little different, so the dimensions are going to be 6x12 with a 2'x5' "pit" in the...
  7. D

Curved Backdrop

Hi, So I'm working on a new layout. Previous one had benchwork and backdrop done with 2" foam on the bench, but no track when I had to take it down due to a move. In the new house now and getting started on the rebuild. The area is a little different, so the design is changing a bit but is...
  8. D

Re-Numbering a Locomotive

Hi, I now have three identical switcher locomotives from a regional shortline. I'm okay using them as is, but it would be cool to change the numbers so that they are unique and more prototypical. I do have some prototype photos and there are plenty of numbers to choose from, all two digit...
  9. D

What kind of plaster?

I was going to stop by Hobby Lobby and pick up a tub of plaster. All I was able to find was Pottery Plaster. Not sure if that is what I need, so I didn't buy it. Did some research and found all kinds of plaster, pottery plaster, hobby plaster, plaster of paris, etc. What are good options...
  10. D

1:100 People

Hi, I see a lot of 1:100 people for sale on e-bay. Close enough for HO scale? Seems like they would be, especially if everyone on the HO layout is 1:100. What do you think? Any experience with 1:100 vs 1:87? Thanks, Doug
  11. D

Not so standard modular layout

Hi, We're in the process of moving and my existing 7x10 donut layout is getting taken apart for the move. Benchwork was built and 2" foam was glued down, but no track or scenery had been started yet. Good time to interrupt the process. Given the opportunity to start over, I'm really...
  12. D

I'm on hold...

We're looking at moving to a new home. The timing is right from the train layout perspective. I had my benchwork done, 2" foam over the whole area and was just starting to build up the mountain area. Of course I did not build a modular layout, who thought I'd be moving anytime soon. Nothing...
  13. D

Grade Crossing crossbuck w/lights

Hi, For most of my grade crossings, simple crossbuck signs will work just fine. However, I would like to enhance one multi-track crossing just outside of my town. Flashing lights with automatic gates would be nice, but I'm not ready to spend the big bucks. What's my best option for a pair...
  14. D

Albuquerque, NM

Hi, I'm headed out to New Mexico next week. There seem to be two main hobby shops in the area, WigWag and Trains West. I will probably only have time to go to one. Any recommendations? Also, my goal is to pickup a piece of rolling stock that has markings from the area. New Mexico would...
  15. D

Steam locomotive side plates

I've seen some pictures of steam locos with what appear to be huge side plates at the front of the locomotive. They must have a reason... Are they part of the design for certain models, were they added for a specific purpose? Tell me more... Doug
  16. D

What's this called?

Hi, What type of car is this and what would be a typical load? I just picked one up from a LHS for $3.50 because I like BN stuff, but have no idea what it would be used for. Thanks, Doug
  17. D

DC One power pack to another...

Hi, I just read an article in MRR magazine about cab control. I'm thinking about something similar for my layout, but wanted some feedback before I try it. Basically, I will have an inner loop and an outer loop with a crossover to connect them. The plan was to insulate the crossover...
  18. D

Warped Base

Hi, I bought a new old stock building kit and when I opened it to take a look at the parts found that the plastic base was warped. I tried to rubber band it to a dowel to flex it back into shape, but it didn't work. Thinking about putting it on a flat piece of steel and in the oven for a...
  19. D

Short Flex Track

Hi, I have questions about working with short pieces of flex track. I have a few spots on my track plan (used Xtrkcad) where I needed to use little bits and pieces of track to make various connections between turnouts. So, instead of using two 1 inch pieces and a third of an 18" radius curve...
  20. D

Sky, Painted.

Well, I got my sky painted last night. Followed instructions from this forum, started with sky blue at the top, added some white, blended it down with horizontal strokes. It was easier than I thought. The hardest part was finding the right "sky blue" color. I ended up with a color called...

Back