Sky, Painted.

Dougget

Well, I got my sky painted last night. Followed instructions from this forum, started with sky blue at the top, added some white, blended it down with horizontal strokes.

It was easier than I thought. The hardest part was finding the right "sky blue" color. I ended up with a color called Windsurf. Kind-of a gray/blue, typical for the sky in western NY. I bought an 8 oz test sample at Home Depot and it was more than enough. I had some left over off-white paint that I used to lighten the shade as I worked closer to the horizon.

What do you think? This pic was taken when it was still wet. The dry finished product is not glossy at all.

Doug

I think it looks great!..once you add some front buildings, trees, and hills it will blend in nicely. Will make great back wall for your photos. Great job!

Looks good - you can come down to almost a basic white at the Horizon - if you decide to add a horizon and hills, paint the most distant hills in blue/grey - give a light overspray with a dusting of white, then paint the next closser hills, dust over ALL of that with white and then add the nearer ones - dusting all over againagain. The white coats need to be the barest dusting, as they fade the hills into the distance as the layers build up. It is also worth experimenting with shades of grey for rain clouds or those stratus layers - again with white dusted over for the furthest away. - have fun

Back