I'm on hold...

Dougget

We're looking at moving to a new home. The timing is right from the train layout perspective. I had my benchwork done, 2" foam over the whole area and was just starting to build up the mountain area. Of course I did not build a modular layout, who thought I'd be moving anytime soon. Nothing a cross cut saw can't take care of :)

Lesson learned: Plan that you will possibly move your layout.

The new plan, once we finally get moved, is to build 4' x 18" and 4' x 24" free standing sections. They will only go together one way, so not really modular, but better than one giant table. I will probably not wire plug connectors or terminal strips between sections. Relatively easy to label and cut wires if needed. Maybe a pain to reconnect, but easier than reparing bench work and scenery.

Some good news: The new house is bigger... and has a bigger (dry) basement... Yes, I will probably make the layout bigger too :)

Probably stick with a basic donut with a narrow duck-under, but will add some staging spurs with 4 or 5 long tracks. Thinking about creating a remote destination section or two. Logging/lumber industry maybe.

Anyway, for now all of my stuff is packed away in boxes. My 10' x 7' donut is once again a blue foam desert.

Having some withdrawal. I saw an HO scale tanker truck at Dollar General the other day. Only $4, but I passed it up. I don't need more stuff to move...

I'll live vicariously through this forum for now.
Later,
Doug

Good luck on the move, and a bigger basement too... cool!
We'll do what we can to carry you through these troubled times Doug.
Who was it that said" Trains will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no trains", Phineas Freak?

BTW, if the new layout is not modular but still goes together one way it would be sectional.

Been there, done that. I'm on the other side of it now and building a large (2000 square foot basement) layout. Better days lay ahead.

I'm constructing my layout semi-sectionally...the benchwork is about 60% sectional as is the scenery, so I have full length L girders but the roadbed and scenery (except for the top layer) is seperated into sections. I hope that whenever I have to move it, this will make it easier...It's visually a permanent layout, but with luck, it won't act like one.

Back