Curved Backdrop

Dougget

Hi,
So I'm working on a new layout. Previous one had benchwork and backdrop done with 2" foam on the bench, but no track when I had to take it down due to a move.

In the new house now and getting started on the rebuild. The area is a little different, so the design is changing a bit but is still basically a donut with two sides against walls.

I plan to build a backdrop on the two wall sides. On the previous layout, I just used drywall and went with the 90 degree corner. Now that I have a chance to rebuild, I'm thinking a curve with about a 24" raidus would look better.

Tough to curve drywall. 1/8" masonite is an option. Styrene could work too. Of course I would need to blend the curved corner material with the flat drywall that will form the rest of the backdrop on the two walls. I've heard that drywall and masonite do not react the same way to humidity changes so there could be cracks. Not sure if drywall mud will stick to styrene.

I'm stuck. What should I use for my curved corner?

Thanks,
Doug

I used 1/4" drywall in my corners. I had to form the curves with 2x4 studs first though. I used a spray bottle to wet the dry wall then laid it on two saw horses to sag to the desired bend.

Can you share a picture of the final product?
Where did you find 1/4" drywall? The best I can do around here is 3/8"
What raidus did you end up with?

Thanks

I curved my backdrop with 1/8 hardboard. I actually used hardboard for my fascia and backdrop. The hardboard is good stuff, you can bend the stuff pretty good. If you need to do a backdrop on say a peninsula and you trying to divide the peninsula in half and you need a tighter backdrop curve, then just use thin sheet metal

I used 1/8" Masonite (hardboard) to make 24" radius bends in the corners. I used full 4' x 8' sheets and ran them up to the ceiling. I painted them first with sky blue. I also used them on the flat parts too, so I have a continuous backdrop on the walls. I used joint compound at the joints and feathered it out to about 8" wide and then painted. You have to look really hard to see the joints.

I suggest you follow D&J Railroad's advice. Easy to do and both the drywall sheets will react the same. I have had terrible luck with Masonite/Masonite joints and Masonite/Drywall joints. House in Michigan, AC and forced heat with and with out a dehumidifier. Next time Im doing all drywall, I think it might actually be cheaper in the long run too
My 2 cents ;-)

Has anyone done a curve on the vertical axis? In order to meet with the ceiling? Extend the scene up over your head?

Here are a couple pictures of my curved backdrop drywall.

IMG_5284.png

Same corner but painted. I think there was some paint mist still in the air or on the camera lens. Note where the walls meet the ceiling. That keeps cob webs from forming.

IMG_5306.png

Ken you better get Zak from Ghost adventures out there STAT!

I like it. I learned the hard way, 1st and last layout kinda thing. I've done more rework on the damn hardboard than I'd care mention.

Back