1:100 People

Dougget

Hi,
I see a lot of 1:100 people for sale on e-bay. Close enough for HO scale? Seems like they would be, especially if everyone on the HO layout is 1:100. What do you think? Any experience with 1:100 vs 1:87?

Thanks,
Doug

An entire population of midgets on a layout, that can barely see over the hood of a Miata? Not sure I would like that myself. It would imply that either the whole community is ruled by 10 year olds, or that everyone goes to their own family reunions to pick up women.

Doug, I've bought 1/87th & 1/100th people off of Ebay. The standing 1/100th is a tiny bit shorter than the 1/87th. Not enough to notice when they are standing in a crowd. The 1/100th sitting down people work a lot better for passenger car interiors because they fit better. They also fit better in Engine cabs & in the cabs of heavy equipment.
There's some great buys in Buy-It-Now on Ebay. About a month ago I got 300 1/87th people in the standing positions for $12.00. The same one's that were in the Auction sold for $30.00. I only pay about 2 bucks or none for postage from China. I have a dealer that I buy from all the time from China.
He has a listing for 600 people for $96.00 right now. The only thing I can tell you about these figures is the painting ain't real great, but, you can touch them up if you want. The skin is not ever painted, just left the plastic colors on the sprues.:rolleyes:

OK, I just did some quick math... A 6' tall person:

1:87 = 0.83" (21.0 mm)
1:100 = 0.72" (18.3 mm)

It does seem close enough. There are a few batches of 100 people for sale new for $5. I'm going to try it.

Thanks,
Doug

Inside a passenger car or building I don't think 1/100 would be so bad. I don't think I would want them all over my town area in plan sight though. Are these the funny bright pastel kind you talking about? Not really a color I could live with. By the time you paint them all to realistic colors I'm not sure you've saved anything?? Jim

When you look at the commercially available HO people - adult type - they are all pretty much the same height. Real live adult people are a variety of heights. A careful mix of 1:87 and 1:100 scale figures should look ok unless the 1:100 are also smaller enough proportionally all around to look starved to near death or have had their heads shrunk by a witch doctor. Worst case you keep them away from things that can indicate they're too small like cars or building doors. Larry's idea for inside coaches is a good one.

Doug, I've bought 1/87th & 1/100th people off of Ebay. The skin is not ever painted, just left the plastic colors on the sprues.:rolleyes:

What color plastic Larry? I'd like to model Blue Man Group but looking to short cut the face painting. :D

About 5 years ago I bought 800 unpained 1/87th figures for $45.00. It took me about 3 months to paint all of them on the sprues. I used WM Acrylics in flat & semi-gloss paints. I bought what I thought was the colors I see on a person in real life. I did a wash w/dark brown before I did the painting & I started out painting the skin colors in light tan, dark tan, white & black.
After I finished all of them I sprayed all of them w/a flat sealer to hold the colrs. Well, about 6 months after I painted them the paint started coming off in layers. Now, almost all of them are paintless. I found out from a friend that Paints figures for a museum that Water Mixed paints are not good because the plastic has a smooth almost oily surface & it needs flat enamels to make the paint stick. The plastic for most figures is made out of the same thing that Engine shells are made from.
So, this summer I have a big project to strip all the paint & start:mad: over w/enamels.

Jim's right, inside a car they'd look fine.
I'd use them in the background too, might force the perspective of distance?

The 150 figures that I bought 2 weeks ago just came in today from China. These are pretty nice, blah paint, no skin paint, but other than that they look pretty good. I only paid $6.00 for them.
I think tonite I'll order a bunch of 1:100th sitting people to fill 10 pass. cars, a bunch of heavy equipment & some other stuff. I ordered 100 misc. animals last year in 1/87th & 1:100 & the 1:100 looks more in scale. I paid $12.00 for those. I was the only bidder. I got horses, dogs, pigs, cows, cats, llamas, sheep, goats & camels. I only used the horses so far.

Rico, Thanks. Good to know I was right about something!

Larry, Have fun with the little people. As NH Mike pointed out people come in all sizes. Mix 'em in they will work. I would only use 1/100 people in my cars though. Jim:)

I just looked thru my favorite Ebay seller "wehonest_us" & he has 500 pcs. of well painted 1/87th figures for $44.99 w/$6.00 shipping. 19 diff. poses.

He also has 600 seated for $94.99

When I order from them they give me combined shipping & it's usually not over 6 or 8 bucks for large amts. of anything. I buy all of my LED's & Resistors from them. They will also take offers on large orders.

Did you wash the figures well before painting? Slick plastic and mold release make it difficult for water-based paint to adhere well.

What I do for all plastic painting is use a coat of solvent-based primer first and then paint over that. The primer provides something better for the other paint to stick to. I started this because I noticed that the brick finishes where I used rattle can primer reds as the brick color never had chipped or peeling paint, even water-based, that was applied over them and ones without that primer did chip and peel.

I had a City Classics building where the lower half of the side wall with no windows had all the paint peel off in one sheet. I must have forgotten to wash it well and the temperature variations where I had it stored took care of the rest.

Did you wash the figures well before painting? Slick plastic and mold release make it difficult for water-based paint to adhere well.

What I do for all plastic painting is use a coat of solvent-based primer first and then paint over that. The primer provides something better for the other paint to stick to. I started this because I noticed that the brick finishes where I used rattle can primer reds as the brick color never had chipped or peeling paint, even water-based, that was applied over them and ones without that primer did chip and peel.

I had a City Classics building where the lower half of the side wall with no windows had all the paint peel off in one sheet. I must have forgotten to wash it well and the temperature variations where I had it stored took care of the rest.

I always wash them in mild liquid soap & then I let them soak in a flat black wash of Acrylics. That way all of the seams & eyes & face features show up. Then I painted them w/WM Acrylics in the small bottles that use to be 44 cents that are now $1.25. I might have had old paint too. I'm just buying them on line now. Let less work & I add some highlites sometimes. Most people that visit don't even pay attention to the features of a figure, just that there's so many diff. poses.

Back