The Coffee Shop is now open. Come on in and say hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL

You guys are a riot. :D

Visiting day at the prison, indeed. Looks like a great crew. :)

Chip--next time you visit California, you might be interested to know that we're getting some mountain lions down as far as Orangevale and Citrus Heights. Of course, since everyone's building homes up in the foothills, they've got no place to go anymore, so they're heading down here into the great Central Valley. Haven't had any sightings out here in Carmichael yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's only a matter of time until I go out into my back yard and see one perched in my Fruitless Mulberry. When I lived in Truckee, back during my college days, a buddy of mine that worked for the Forest Service was raising a cub whose mother had been killed. Cute little fellow, but I wouldn't want one for a house-pet. Maine Coons are cats enough for me.
Tom

RexHea said:
I should have said visiting day at the State Prison.

Sure looks like a line up at the local cop shop ( maám was one of these men the one that......)

Well I found the coffee shop, but I've already had a couple, I'll be up all night!!

It's funny you guys heading down stairs for the winter and I'm just head'n out for the lawnmowing season. But we've had more winter in our spring than we had in our winter!! Go figure. What a weird few seasons we've all had.

Well wee one's gone to bed (8.30pm here) I might pop out to the layout. Oh I've shifted the whole thing out to the workshop, so the house looks bigger when we sell, not long to go me thinks.

Ken. I'll take a coke wif me cheers. :eek:

TWhite said:
Chip--next time you visit California, you might be interested to know that we're getting some mountain lions down as far as Orangevale and Citrus Heights. Of course, since everyone's building homes up in the foothills, they've got no place to go anymore, so they're heading down here into the great Central Valley. Haven't had any sightings out here in Carmichael yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's only a matter of time until I go out into my back yard and see one perched in my Fruitless Mulberry. When I lived in Truckee, back during my college days, a buddy of mine that worked for the Forest Service was raising a cub whose mother had been killed. Cute little fellow, but I wouldn't want one for a house-pet. Maine Coons are cats enough for me.
Tom

I hope to get out there next August. My brother has a place out in Trinidad and I want to get out to the CW. The Humboldt Logging Museum, etc. I'm also supposed to go salmon fishing. So if you promis to catch one of those lions, I'll stop by and take a look at him.

NZRMac said:
Sure looks like a line up at the local cop shop ( maám was one of these men the one that......)

Well I found the coffee shop, but I've already had a couple, I'll be up all night!!
From one "ken" to another: Welcome to the CoffeeShop! :)

(Guess I better edit my signature if there's gonna be more than one of us...)

Good Morning! Wish there was a spell checker in this forum, the one in my head doesn't work too well ;) Well it has dipped down to the 40 F here, with a high of 50 F

Now this feels like model railroad and railfan weather :) I spent last night getting away from the layout and back to weathering, I have a slew of buildings to compete and tons of vehicles to paint and put together, I have a stack of C-nC trucks and trailers, GHQ items and about 200 people to paint :( I also need to get the foundations done on my buildings, I think your right Chip, some of them need a more proto base to them.

As for wild animals, the dog has been killing chipmunks in the back yard, he gets pretty upset when he has one trapped in the wood pile, has gotten so aggrevated that he has scraped skin off the tip of his nose. I did see one once jump out, must have went about 2 feet in the air and he caught it in mid-flight. Once he had it, I think he was wondering what he was supposed to do.

It's good to see more and more of the old regulars from MR staying and joining over here [thumbs up]

Well time to rust some cars, and I think today I will break out the airbrush. No ones home and I can let the compressor run all day ;)

SpaceMouse said:
Dave,

Freeware: http://www.iespell.com

Install it and then when you complete a post right click and it will spellcheck.

I thought I was saved. But as usual, it is for the masses and not the minority, us poor Mac users are always left out. Seems to be that way with viruses too, they never seem to want to infect our Apples with a worm ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all. Sabrina, just coffee this morning, make it a large please.

So we're talking spelling skills, huh? I better not comment on a subject I know nothing about, recipe for disaster, ya know. :D

Hope everyone has a great day! I can already feel the weekend coming on, ya'll got any pics ready for WPF?

Gotta run, the boss man is probably wondering where I am...

Good morning! Pardon me while I get caffinated... ahhhhhhh.

Well, last night I got to view the Dream, Plan, Build DVD... interesting, useful even. I just might pay for it. The sections on backdrop painting and airbrushing were especially interesting - some things need video to come across properly. My wife was similarly facinated.

And I think she was amazed at some of the layouts... Northlandz had my jaw dropping. I wonder if they run operations on that layout, or are they all of the "railfan" persuasion?

grande man said:
I can already feel the weekend coming on, ya'll got any pics ready for WPF?
Eric, I'm surprised you haven't entered anything in the photo contest yet! Somebody needs to give Bob Boudreau a run for his money ;)

CSX_road_slug said:
Eric, I'm surprised you haven't entered anything in the photo contest yet! Somebody needs to give Bob Boudreau a run for his money ;)

He (Bob) has won some NMRA awards with that photo he posted. I think it's great to have a modeler with Bob's skills here, now if we can get him to give us give us his secret sauce :)

dthurman said:
It's good to see more and more of the old regulars from MR staying and joining over here [thumbs up]

Well time to rust some cars, and I think today I will break out the airbrush. No ones home and I can let the compressor run all day ;)

Wow, talk about deja-vu--
Breaking out the airbrush hit a nerve with me. Seems after using nothing but a brush and spray cans for years, I went out and bought a Paasche airbrush and compressor a couple of months ago to do three raw brass steamers I've had for a while. Do you know that I haven't USED it, yet? I don't know whether or not I'm scared of the darn thing or what, but I haven't even connected it up to test it. Now, is THAT weird or what? Meanwhile, I've got three really cool brass haulers that are running up and down my grades all naked. I think I'd better talk myself into getting brave, don't you, LOL?
Tom

CSX_road_slug said:

I'm not so sure I'm the guy to give Bob a run for his money... ;) That's a great pic!

And then there's some guy named Ken with another AWESOME pic. :)

All the pics entered so far are absolutely first rate! There's some tough competition going on for the October contest. All I have to say is [Austin Powers] Yeah Baby!!! [/Austin Powers]... :D

As for us, we're waiting on some new arrivals before I decide on a pic to submit.

TWhite said:
Wow, talk about deja-vu--
Breaking out the airbrush hit a nerve with me. Seems after using nothing but a brush and spray cans for years, I went out and bought a Paasche airbrush and compressor a couple of months ago to do three raw brass steamers I've had for a while. Do you know that I haven't USED it, yet? I don't know whether or not I'm scared of the darn thing or what, but I haven't even connected it up to test it. Now, is THAT weird or what? Meanwhile, I've got three really cool brass haulers that are running up and down my grades all naked. I think I'd better talk myself into getting brave, don't you, LOL?
Tom

Tom, I think I'd practice with the new airbrush on an $8 Athearn BB box car first. ;)

I had the Paasche of mine sitting in a box for 8 months until I got some input over at the MR forums, and decided to get it out, I had to clean it pretty well, it had been used by my girlfriends son, they never really gave it a cleaning. When I fired it up the compressor sounded like it was a engine block with a bad rod. I had to buy a new compressor, I got one for about $100 at Lowes, has an air tank, and regulator and water trap. A bit noisy. I did use it to weather some cars, I was happy with some, horrified with others:

This one went on way to heavy :(

ack.sized.jpg

This one was a little better:

acm.sized.jpg

This one is for Eric ;) I used a templete of paper with little slices in it to control the overspray effect. I can see using oils, dry brush and the air brush for various effects.

acl.sized.jpg

Like Eric said though Tom, I would try on an old tosser car just in case. I was timid and concerned, but I have see you other skills and think you will take like a duck to water once you get going.

grande man said:
Tom, I think I'd practice with the new airbrush on an $8 Athearn BB box car first. ;)

I'd practice on an old beer can and shoe box for a while.

It took me quite a while to get semi-okay at it. I've got a long way to go. This is one of the larger learning curves for me.

While I agree with trying not to do a $$ car, I did the practice on a sheet of paper and stuff, but I really couldn't get the feel of how well or bad I was doing until I did a car, it sort of gave me a better feel for the flow. I do agree though to first get used to how it comes out, holding it right and stuff on something that is a throw away.

Eric, leave Sabrina alone so she can bring me a cup of Joe...straight please.

Ahhh, go ahead Tom. You can do it. Well, maybe you should take Eric and David's advice and ease into it. I like my Paasche, but it is a double action and is still pretty darn tricky for me. For now I just set the flow and push the air. My trigger finger is still too jerky to control the paint.

Gees! Anyone seen a head rolling around by itself this morning. I seemed to have lost one. Can't get focused on anything. I need to continue on with my scenery work, but since I have ran out of dried tree armatures, guess I will have to get back to hill building and plastering until more dry. I always dread getting started with this, but enjoy it once I get going.

NZRmac: Glad you made it to the Coffee shop. Plenty of nuts for harmonica playing squrriels.:D

Time to take a deep breath and get on with it. C U ya'll later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back