Running Bear's June 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
1592508142486.png

Over weathered?

On a little truck I had once, I drove over some white powder that had been spilled on the roadway. Most went over it's underside but only a bit on the paint. When I got home I gave the paint a quick rinse off and it wasn't till a few days later I washed underneath. I have never seen metal so devoid of dirt and grease, especially the back axle.

Tomorrow should be fun. I am going to have to fight the license plate office.
Back on May 5, I sent in to the tag office, using the address provided, my old license tag off the truck I no longer have. I then called my insurance company and canceled the insurance that I no longer had, and no longer have a tag for.
Today in the mail, I got a letter from the tag office demanding payment of a fine for not keeping insurance on the tag I no longer have, and remit the fine no later than close of business today, June 18, at 5pm. The letter was postmarked June 16. Technically, my drivers license is now suspended until I pay the fine I don't owe.

I'll add more joy. I had to take my wife to the doctor last Friday for some tests. The tests came back positive for C-Diff, which she has had since December. The current strategy is a stool transplant on August 4. I will have to take her to the hospital, she will be taken inside, and I will have to wait in the parking garage.

'Evening Shop Dwellers. Cool and humid where I'm at, but the rain predicted by the NWS never materialized. Tree frogs are croaking a symphony.

Thanks everyone for all the "likes" and replies to my previous post.

Louis, I shot my own photo of that F-unit at Riverside in August of 1972. According to Bob Withers in his book C&O/B&O in Color, it was scrapped later that year. B&O never had any intention of repainting any of their F units in the Chessie scheme and only ran them when they were short on newer power.

An update on the body shell soaking experiment: The shells didn't dissolve after being submerged in denatured alcohol for 24 hrs, which is good; but neither did the paint, though I did manage to scrub a lot more of it off with the toothbrush. I'm thinking this is like an inverse of the concept of applying slow-drying paint in multiple coats; I'll need to soak the shells overnight once again and hopefully the paint will continue to soften enough so that I can scrub more of it off.

I'm beginning to suspect that these units weren't painted at the Atlas factory, but by a third party affiliated with fans of the Louisville and Indiana shortline who may have sold these models as a fundraising effort. They were advertised on eBay as a "special run" and the paint scheme is not listed in the online Atlas catalog; at least that's my theory about why the paint seems to have been applied thicker than normal.

Last edited:
'Evening Shop Dwellers. Cool and humid where I'm at, but the rain predicted by the NWS never materialized. Tree frogs are croaking a symphony.

Thanks everyone for all the "likes" and replies to my previous post.

Louis, I shot my own photo of that F-unit at Riverside in August of 1972. According to Bob Withers in his book C&O/B&O in Color, it was scrapped later that year. B&O never had any intention of repainting any of their F units in the Chessie scheme and only ran them when they were short on newer power.

An update on the body shell soaking experiment: The shells didn't dissolve after being submerged in denatured alcohol for 24 hrs, which is good; but neither did the paint, though I did manage to scrub a lot more of it off with the toothbrush. I'm thinking this is like an inverse of the concept of applying slow-drying paint in multiple coats; I'll need to soak the shells overnight once again and hopefully the paint will continue to soften enough so that I can scrub more of it off.

I'm beginning to suspect that these units weren't painted at the Atlas factory, but by a third party affiliated with fans of the Louisville and Indiana shortline who may have sold these models as a fundraising effort. They were advertised on eBay as a "special run" and the paint scheme is not listed in the online Atlas catalog; at least that's my theory about why the paint seems to have been applied thicker than normal.
Use the oven cleaner!

Good morning gang,
Early start today, out the door at 6 a.m.. son#3 settles on a house today, and already has plans for me to start renovations tomorrow. There goes a few weekends!😉 Thats ok, I've got a few things he can help me with too! Tit 4 tat!

Morning all,

Coffee and a BLT for breakfast extra bacon, and a cup of coffee. Thanks Flo.

Not much today as it's my short day. Currently raining and some minor thunderstorms in the area. currently a pleasant 67*

Due to the rain, I may have train time this afternoon...we'll see.

Greetings, Shop Dwellers! Looks like my area is in for several days of rain and t-storms. If the forecast actually comes to pass, I'll have an automatic excuse to avoid mowing the lawn - what an excellent Fathers Day gift from Ma Nature👍

Thanks, everybody who "liked" my long-winded post from Monday even without photos!

Joe, best of luck with all the prep for the knee surgery.

B.Bob, glad to see your finally able to retrieve the rest of your Illinois stuff.

Garry, enjoyed seeing the pics you shot when you were a kid! I have a box full of slides I shot using a hand-me-down Voigtlander 35mm camera that my father gave me; someday I'll have to get them all "digitized" like I did with some of my B&O motive power pics, so I can share them here.

Looks like I'm moving on to Plan C of getting the factory paint off my two recently-acquired Atlas geeps; the guy who was gonna do the sandblasting won't be available to do that until sometime next week, and this project has already been delayed far too long. So I've decided to try once again to soak the shells in denatured alcohol (DNA), but for a significantly longer period this time, 24 hours [as opposed to 2 hours which I did for the original soak]. Does anybody here know how long the plastic of an Atlas "Master" or "Silver" series shell can survive in DNA before getting brittle or deformed? All the google searches I've done on this topic seem to give conflicting advice.

So far I've learned that soaking for only a few hours makes the paint a little bit "mushy" on the surface, where the only way to get it off is to scrub it really hard with a shortened-bristle toothbrush. Only the the stuff directly under the toothbrush comes off - this makes it difficult to remove paint from areas where two perpendicular surfaces are joined [like around the radiator fans]. My hope is that letting the paint soak for a much longer time will soften ALL of the paint more thoroughly so I won't have to press down as hard with the toothbrush to get it all off. I've already broken off a few lift rings as a result of brushing too vigorously.

Ken:. Karl might have some info about that !?

Good Morning All. Clear and 76° here on Juneteenth. The rain chance originally in the forecast for Sunday has now been removed. Last time that we had rain was May 16. At least I am not mowing much right now. Highs have been staying in the low 90's for now, so the pool water has been staying in the low to mid 80's, quite comfortable.
We made the weekly grocery/beer trek yesterday without incident. Face mask usage was nearly 100% at the grocery, the Vitamin Shop and the wine store. Looks like Kroger has picked up some of the diverted school groceries to sell. The vegetable aisle was stocked full of three and five pound cans of veggies. Never have seen that before. Meanwhile my backyard grocery has been producing around two dozen tomatoes a day, it's time to process some more. Today the plan is to make some homemade salsa using onions, garlic, cilantro and jalapenos; all of which also came from the garden.

Scrambled eggs and a pile of bacon this morning Flo. How about a hot buttered whole wheat English Muffin to go with that.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday everyone; Patrick, Guy, Sherrel, Joe, Louis, Garry, Chet, Chad, Jerome, Curt, Mikey, Hughie, Tom, Karl.

Lucky day in he train shed yesterday. While rummaging through paint supplies I came across this.
06-19-20 001.JPG

06-19-20 002.JPG

Yes! An unopened bottle of Polly Scale Concrete paint that I had bought back in 2013, as evidenced by the date that I wrote on the bottle. OK, back to the workbench with the structure base and out came the paintbrush.
Once repainted, I was able to add the remaining details and the first four figures to the scene. I also added all of the remaining window treatments
06-19-20 003.JPG

06-19-20 004.JPG

Earlier I also completed the stair railing to the side stairway.
06-19-20 005.JPG

The reason that I found the paint was that I was looking for another color to use for some additional figures that I am painting for this scene.
I'll start today with gluing the structures to the base and adding a few more figures and call this portion of the CUP complete. Further away, I began to also add some ground cover along the main line. I am looking at acquiring some additional structures for this area.

Sherrel -
Sorry, Willie ... you wasted your time with the sidewalk paint - ouch! That's one needs a do-over.
No it wasn't a waste, I needed to know what that one looked like for future reference. If nothing else, it was an extra primer coat. It will work for newer concrete, just not there.
Terry - Prayers and best wishes for your wife. Glad that you resolved the TP issue last week. Good luck with your bureaucracy issues.

Anyone else here miss Johnny?
Everybody have a great day.

Good Morning from the State where your vote means nothing -----
The State legislature does whatever they want and even their own party has no say!

Supposed to be 79 today with sunny and breezy - it was 78 yesterday. IT's been a while since we have had even a drop of rain. We are running out of time as the "new" rainy season starts on July 1st ... fortunately, we have had 50% more rain than our usual allotment for the year.

Took the truck in for the airbag recall which took four-plus hours when I was told would be an hour job.

FLO - Today I feel like a plate of biscuits and gravy with a handful of bacon piled on. Just coffee, please.

Terry - what a hassle --- the Spousal Unit's license expires Aug 7th and she has to do the full test to renew.
They are telling her that she cannot even make an appointment until after Aug 15th - and that is just to make an appointment for somewhere down the road further. I have been trying to get her to go to Needles where I had to go to get in, but she does not want to do that!

Have a ton of stuff to work on today, however, most of it is things I have already talked about - just that I have been dragging my feet on doing them.
Later guys .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back