Running Bear's June 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy ....

Patrick ... I'm glad the doctors believe they removed your daughter's cancer, but sorry to hear she needs whom treatments anyhow. ... Good you are making progress with the layout.

Louis ... The proposed paint scheme for the Southern GP7 is interesting. I like the streamlined steam locomotive.

Toot ... Interesting pictures of Coronation Scott.

Curt .... Your new benchwork looks very well made, and it appears to fit together well.

Joe .... I like the passenger train photos.

B Bob ..... It sounds like your move is progressing. You mentioned bradford pear trees. They look good in the Spring, but that' the only thing good to be said about them.

Sherrel .... I'm glad you liked everybody's photos.

Speaking of photos, I found a couple of pictures from back when I was a kid doing rail-fanning close to where I lived.in Illinois. ... About 1960 or 1961.

Burlington freight train with SD24's passing a commuter train with an E8.

CBQ Hinsdale.jpeg

Santa Fe War Bonnet F-units on a bridge.

ATSF bridge.jpeg

Good afternoon. Not a particularly nice day here today with the high apparently only up to 48 with rain falling most of the day. I won't complain about the rain though because that helps me by not having to drag hoses around to water the lawn. Spent a lot of time down at the Bozeman Hot Springs swimming trying to get some exercise.

Patrick - Glad to hear the news about your daughter.

James - All you guys needed was a grill and a few beers.

Joe - Sure like that photo of the B&O RDC-2. Like all of the F unit photos.

Curt - You sure are moving right along with the bench work.

Willie - Some of those old structure kits are well worth putting together. They're nice kits and will help you cover all of the vacant real estate. The Lone Star beer sure does run through you in a hurry. Glad we had some great seats, close to the rest rooms.

Liked all of those F unit photos. Here are some more of what I saw when I was a kid. The first two were taken in Livingston, MT.

6228.1138806000 (2).jpg

This photo was taken along 5th street. You can see the NP Depot in the distance on the right. Wonder if that '59 Impala could be the one I have now.

North%20Coast%20Limited%20at%20Livingston.jpg

20130216075652_01-900x599.jpg

KingUnion6511CNP.jpg

Of course the last is my tourist train leaving the Logan depot.

20171118_142547.jpg

Later

[Q:OTE="Boris, post: 483792, member: 3857"]
Phil: Did not know that the Governor was down there visiting you...;)

Sorry 'bout that, but I couldn't resist. ;) i've been running around doing things to prep for this knee surgery, and have really been busy. Yesterday, I made a run to the recycle center, to get rid of the cardboard, from the "New" recliner. Then I cut the grass, and some overhanging shrubs. Today, I picked up my new glasses, and did all the banking through the end of the month. Tomorrow, I pick up my old..."newly repaired" glasses, (so now I have a spare pair), then attend an orientation "class" at the Hospital. I also begin using a anti-bacterial soap when I shower. All this while I'm supposed to be self quarantining...Oh yeah, Friday, I do the Covid Test, and see the surgeon. That appointment is now set back to 4:10 PM. I already discontinued my Anti-inflammatory and by Tuesday, will be down to just the BP pill.Already feel those joints complaining.

Curt: You're making a lot of progress with your layout. Chet: All Alcos are grimy...especially Eastern railroads.

I have pretty much given up on sports, and related activities. Between the owners, governing bodies, television and the performers, they have nearly killed the goose that laid the golden egg.

This Covid lockdown has proven, we really don't need that much sports entertainment. Colleges (and High Schools) should not be in the sports entertainment business. Their function is to educate, not entertain.

View attachment 114431
This photo is from the Hagley Museum Digital collection, and involves a Northward PRR steam powered passenger train wrecking at Marcus Hook PA. I do not have any details, although this portion of the NEC was already electrified. The structure in the background is the Congoleum - Narin plant, which makes floor tile and linoleum. The track in the foreground, is the "Ought" track leading to the "North Yard" at Thurlow.

During my time, there was a similar wreck here, involving an Alco RS3 and a gondola load of marine anchor chain, which turned on their side on the Linwood branch around 1974. The shadows in the foreground are very likely standing on or near the Linwood Branch track. In the 70s wreck, the engine tried to take a 13°50" curve (speed 15mph), at a speed in excess of 49mph.

My guess would be that the passenger train took a crossover switch faster tan it should. Keepin mind the tracks at this location run 0-1-2-3-4-5, and there is no grade of any consequence. Just an interlocking.

View attachment 114432
For my fellow RDC lovers, this is B&O train # 161 at Greenbelt, MD on 12/15/1970. Note the pole line and wires are still intact at this point in time.
[/QUOTE]

Boris: And on my birthday too !
Also, if you're been running around doing all that work why are you having knee surgery ?

What is an "Ought" track ? Also, shouldn't there be at least a flat car under the boom if not an actual boom car with a boom rest ?

Last edited:
But how do you know that your "reputable source" is reputable?
One word; Capitalism.

Some media outlets are merely entertainment packaged as news preaching to the choir, that is how they make their living.

Others are so outrageous and bombastic they draw attention, like a train wreck. That feeds revenue. "Breaking News!!!"

Then there are those few with long-established world-renowned reputations for integrity. They will not risk their survival on the short term peddling fake news.

It is possible to gas light people for a short time, but history eventually revels the truth.

Last edited:
Approx 60F right now (was 46F this morning). Overcast in the morning, sunny this afternoon. Strange compared to the 90F + a few days ago.

I had an interesting email from UPS today. It told me I am expecting a package from Newegg.com tomorrow. It gave me a tracking number. I copied and pasted the tracking number into ups.com (just in case it is a fake email, though everything looks legit including looking at underlying links etc). Indeed, there is a package with that tracking number en route to my city. The email said it was from Newegg. While I had been "window shopping" at Newegg the day before, I did not complete any order, and any payment info they had on me is long expired (my order history there shows 2013 is the last time I ordered something from them). If I go back to Newegg my shopping cart still has the items in it I had put there as part of my window shopping...

I guess we'll have to just see what happens tomorrow.

(I eventually want to build a Hackintosh that I can keep at macOS 10.14 so that I can continue to run some 32 bit apps I rely on and also dual boot with Windows for some DCC software [decoder editors etc and utilities for my command station etc from the manufacturers] that only runs on Windows. But with our current build-the-house project and mindset, I am not buying computer stuff this year. [I will need to update my normal Mac to the latest in order to run the latest Xcode to program and test on the latest iOS for some side work I have off and on, and the latest macOS does not support 32 bit apps any longer, hence the "need" to do something else)

I don't recall posting anything about fake news recently, but I realized that there were no reputable sources about 12 years ago; long before those same reputable sources (and pollsters) managed to fumble on the 2016 election result. It's a damn shame that my most trusted source of USA news is the BBC!
My error Willie, your post was about sports, forgive me.

Greetings, Shop Dwellers! Looks like my area is in for several days of rain and t-storms. If the forecast actually comes to pass, I'll have an automatic excuse to avoid mowing the lawn - what an excellent Fathers Day gift from Ma Nature👍

Thanks, everybody who "liked" my long-winded post from Monday even without photos!

Joe, best of luck with all the prep for the knee surgery.

B.Bob, glad to see your finally able to retrieve the rest of your Illinois stuff.

Garry, enjoyed seeing the pics you shot when you were a kid! I have a box full of slides I shot using a hand-me-down Voigtlander 35mm camera that my father gave me; someday I'll have to get them all "digitized" like I did with some of my B&O motive power pics, so I can share them here.

Looks like I'm moving on to Plan C of getting the factory paint off my two recently-acquired Atlas geeps; the guy who was gonna do the sandblasting won't be available to do that until sometime next week, and this project has already been delayed far too long. So I've decided to try once again to soak the shells in denatured alcohol (DNA), but for a significantly longer period this time, 24 hours [as opposed to 2 hours which I did for the original soak]. Does anybody here know how long the plastic of an Atlas "Master" or "Silver" series shell can survive in DNA before getting brittle or deformed? All the google searches I've done on this topic seem to give conflicting advice.

So far I've learned that soaking for only a few hours makes the paint a little bit "mushy" on the surface, where the only way to get it off is to scrub it really hard with a shortened-bristle toothbrush. Only the the stuff directly under the toothbrush comes off - this makes it difficult to remove paint from areas where two perpendicular surfaces are joined [like around the radiator fans]. My hope is that letting the paint soak for a much longer time will soften ALL of the paint more thoroughly so I won't have to press down as hard with the toothbrush to get it all off. I've already broken off a few lift rings as a result of brushing too vigorously.

Good afternoon. Not a particularly nice day here today with the high apparently only up to 48 with rain falling most of the day. I won't complain about the rain though because that helps me by not having to drag hoses around to water the lawn. Spent a lot of time down at the Bozeman Hot Springs swimming trying to get some exercise.

Patrick - Glad to hear the news about your daughter.

James - All you guys needed was a grill and a few beers.

Joe - Sure like that photo of the B&O RDC-2. Like all of the F unit photos.

Curt - You sure are moving right along with the bench work.

Willie - Some of those old structure kits are well worth putting together. They're nice kits and will help you cover all of the vacant real estate. The Lone Star beer sure does run through you in a hurry. Glad we had some great seats, close to the rest rooms.

Liked all of those F unit photos. Here are some more of what I saw when I was a kid. The first two were taken in Livingston, MT.

View attachment 114479

This photo was taken along 5th street. You can see the NP Depot in the distance on the right. Wonder if that '59 Impala could be the one I have now.

View attachment 114481

View attachment 114482

View attachment 114483

Of course the last is my tourist train leaving the Logan depot.

View attachment 114484

Later

Chet, I like the pictures as well as your train in the same paint scheme. Did you custom paint your train ?

Good morning, everybody .... Happy Birthday to the US Army.

Willie .... The plaza scene is a good idea, and it looks good. ....... You have me concerned about Sherrel, however. :confused:

Sherrel ....... Uh, oh! ...... If 1/87 ladies give you thrill, I wonder about you. (Edit. Took out the joke. Apparently it was insulting.) ... Nice photo of the GP7.

Karl ..... .... and then there was the cat who complained to the dog that used the cat liter box. The dog identified as a cat.....

Joe ... Smart idea to block offensive emails, etc. ... It seems to me I am told if I say nothing I am part of them problem. Meanwhile, I am told if I say something, I am part of the problem. Crazy times.

Happy Model Railroading

Gar
JOE - You just keep hitting my "tender" spot with some outstanding RS photos - really sharp and clear!

Ahh, GARRY, there is no reason to hurl insults now? As JOE would say, "Not for nothing" -- I have noticed a shrinking of said member the past couple of years -- It hurts my pride.
This just makes me cry!
View attachment 114351

Sherrel, She doesn't look 1/87th scale to me !

Greetings -- Mostly sunny and breezy with an 83 high today (was 82 yesterday)! The temps have been wonderfully mild - I know we will "pay the piper" later on but for now, it is great.

The RV is stuck at the stealership awaiting parts -- I just may go and get it even though I may lose my place in the queue!
We have canceled one trip and may have to ditch another. The problem is that the auto steps have failed. That was OK for a while as they were stuck in a half-up, half-down position and I had built a set of steps that we took along with us. Unfortunately, the daughter and SIL drove off and left the steps I had built sitting on the ground. Well, now the steps have fallen down and I really don't want to go on an extended trip with them hanging down about curb height and everyone blowing their horn and motioning that the steps are down. Enough about me.

LOUIS - You amaze me with your business sense! You are a most interesting person! I could use a few lessons from you in the business world.

GARRY - I am confused as to why you think that I may be "insulted" in any way? I thought your remark was very funny even though it does have some validity.

DAVID --
Good to see you back on the forum!

WILLIE - I am not sure which part you are asking about? Here is a drawing:
View attachment 114384

Hi Sherrel, Thanks for the welcome back.

I liked the illustration of the diesel truck and the axel hanger.

GARRY - You are going to have to get up a lot earlier if you THINK you are going to insult me or hurt my feelings. To start with -- You're not a Frenchman! :rolleyes:
Just the other day I was standing next to a guy in the latrine lineup and he said to me,"The water is not very cold" - to which I replied, "Yeah, but it's not very deep either"!

Willie, I did too ... and I thought my reply was funny as well, but I guess I used the wrong words in my reply for Garry to feel that way?

GREG - I believe that you win the prize with that guy!
For years I have thought that the sports players have been paid waayyy too much for what they do and I have no idea how anyone can afford to pay the cost for a family outing - same holds true for all the amusement parks.
parks.

Sherrel, If said member is that long how is it that shrinkage is all that evident or taking place ??

I don't recall posting anything about fake news recently, but I realized that there were no reputable sources about 12 years ago; long before those same reputable sources (and pollsters) managed to fumble on the 2016 election result. It's a damn shame that my most trusted source of USA news is the BBC!
Actually I prefer NHK . They seem to have no stake in anything but trade and most of the time could care less about what goes on in the US. The only thing i care about is whether the world ends and that much I figure they tell me ! I stopped watching local and national news about 20 years ago . I used to watch some of the news backhauls on the Ku band satellite . You'd be surprised at what gets faked, They set up the camera and just let it run , you'd think they would have sense enough to turn it off on an unencrypted feed. I wish I had recorded some of it now.

Good morning, everybody .... Happy Birthday to the US Army.

Willie .... The plaza scene is a good idea, and it looks good. ....... You have me concerned about Sherrel, however. :confused:

Sherrel ....... Uh, oh! ...... If 1/87 ladies give you thrill, I wonder about you. (Edit. Took out the joke. Apparently it was insulting.) ... Nice photo of the GP7.

Karl ..... .... and then there was the cat who complained to the dog that used the cat liter box. The dog identified as a cat.....

Joe ... Smart idea to block offensive emails, etc. ... It seems to me I am told if I say nothing I am part of them problem. Meanwhile, I am told if I say something, I am part of the problem. Crazy times.

Happy Model Railroading

Garry, Good to see you again.

One car? Shameful -- Couldn't even pay the fuel with that!
I remember some Frisco's with a baggage, maybe two, and a coach?
SAD!

Sherrel: By this time, PC was trying to get out of the business of hauling people, by hook or by crook. A E unit and one coach required a Fireman, the single car Budd RDC this consist replaced, didn't. This was done to increase the cost of doing business, by adding a crew member.....meanwhile at the same time, on the highly profitable NEC, Metroliners (MU cars) were the predominant train operated. Many of the mid day and evening Phila - NY Clockers used Jersey Arrow MU cars...why to increase profit margin. MU trains never had firemen. It's business 101.

Joe- Thank you. Interesting photos

Curt: You're welcomed. Nice progress on your modules.

I realized that there were no reputable sources about 12 years ago; long before those same reputable sources (and pollsters) managed to fumble on the 2016 election result.

They are a money making venture first, and a 'News Service' a distant second.

Willie & S.H: it's no coincidence that every major TV network, and network news service is owned by a multi-media entertainment company. Their primary interest is selling money, and that means appealing to the demographic that they perceive will make them the most money. We have all heard of Disney's "Fantasy land" which currently is the News Division of ABC and ESPN.

I am no longer in the desired demographic, so they no longer make any attempt to appeal to my sensitivities. So I have less interest in what they have to offer. PBS, programing appeals to their major benefactors interest. Believe that BBC is still Government owned, so there is less interest in slanting the presentation for the target audience.

Afternoon All,

Started out with some chores, made a quick trip to Lowes for a drill bit then built the 4th module and attached it. One more module to go on the right side.

Thank you for the likes.

Jerome- That is a lot of switchers. Are those yours?

Louis- I quit watching pro sports years ago. It started after the baseball strike in the 80's (?) for the greed of athletes and owners and the idea that a person playing with a ball for a living and paid a huge amount of money is crying victimhood. Unfortunately I think college sports are heading in that direction also.

Willie- More nice details. I have drank my share of Lone Star, but my favorite is Guinness.

Tom- Sorry to hear about your wife and hope she heals quickly.

View attachment 114387

View attachment 114388

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt, Are the modules your building extentions to your existing layout or are you building an around the wall new layout ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back