Running Bear's June 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approx 60F right now (was 46F this morning). Overcast in the morning, sunny this afternoon. Strange compared to the 90F + a few days ago.

I had an interesting email from UPS today. It told me I am expecting a package from Newegg.com tomorrow. It gave me a tracking number. I copied and pasted the tracking number into ups.com (just in case it is a fake email, though everything looks legit including looking at underlying links etc). Indeed, there is a package with that tracking number en route to my city. The email said it was from Newegg. While I had been "window shopping" at Newegg the day before, I did not complete any order, and any payment info they had on me is long expired (my order history there shows 2013 is the last time I ordered something from them). If I go back to Newegg my shopping cart still has the items in it I had put there as part of my window shopping...

I guess we'll have to just see what happens tomorrow.

(I eventually want to build a Hackintosh that I can keep at macOS 10.14 so that I can continue to run some 32 bit apps I rely on and also dual boot with Windows for some DCC software [decoder editors etc and utilities for my command station etc from the manufacturers] that only runs on Windows. But with our current build-the-house project and mindset, I am not buying computer stuff this year. [I will need to update my normal Mac to the latest in order to run the latest Xcode to program and test on the latest iOS for some side work I have off and on, and the latest macOS does not support 32 bit apps any longer, hence the "need" to do something else)
Make a separate partition for OS 10.14, with the partition that has 10.15 as the boot drive. When you want to run 32 bit applications on the older OS, hold down the option key when booting. That will give you the option to use 10.14, 10.15, or Windoze.

David- We will take a picture when you get the scene complete.
I always enjoy seeing someone else's scenes. Even if copied from elsewhere, each person puts their own twist on a scene depending on materials available and the way the modeler sees the scene in their own mind.

Mikey, Thanks, will do when other scenes evolve.

Also, if you're been running around doing all that work why are you having knee surgery ?

David: Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Both knees are bone on bone, ad getting more wobbly by the day. No choice but to upgrade.

What is an "Ought" track ? Also, shouldn't there be at least a flat car under the boom if not an actual boom car with a boom rest

David: A designation for track Zero. "Oh", Naught are other common terms used to designate track # 0. Most commonly used in train order / track warrant format.

This photo was taken along 5th street. You can see the NP Depot in the distance on the right. Wonder if that '59 Impala could be the one I have now.

Chet: Outstanding photo. That could be the car. An acquaintance used to own the 1960 Convertible version...Whatta chick Magnet. Another acquaintance, a girl who worked at Piasecki Aircraft, had a white '59 Impala convertible. She used it as a guy magnet.

Joe, best of luck with all the prep for the knee surgery.
Ken: Thanks. I hope this somehow doesn't unravel at the last minute.

Joe .... I like the passenger train photos.

Garry: Obviously, we share that like. Saw some Denver Zephyr and Nebraska Zephyr photos, the other day, and immediately thought of your (kitbash) observation car.

Louis: Nice photos old boy. The poster of the Phillies Specials brught back a memory of the day one wrecked in Steeltown, along the Susquehanna. Freshly laid rail that "heat kinked" under movement. Around 1964 0r 1966. Used to think about that, when I accelerated to 110MPH along that stretch, on my Eastward run from the "Burg" to Philly.

Buffalo Day express # 575 Williamsport 07_20_1969.jpg

Buffalo Day Express, PC # 575 @ Williamsport, PA 07/20/1969. Note X29 Express boxcar, a RS41 whiteline behind diesel on far track.

Morning all,

Time for coffee this morning, Thanks Francine.

Daughter had stage 1 ovarian cancer and they are confident they got it all. That said, they have her scheduled for a course of chemo as a just in case we missed something. That process starts next week.

I had some train time last evening. I got the remainder of the table joints taped.

Before:
View attachment 114453

After:

View attachment 114455

I know I still have a small hole to fill in the gap, but overall the layout will me smoother because I did it. One note to myself is that I should have done the tape before I laid the track. I'll post the additional pictures on my build thread.

On to the next thing.......
PPatrick: An easy way to resolve uneven joint surfaces is to cut a tie plate from a scrap piece of ,3/8" thick wood and use short drywall screw that are screwed down through the top board into it to keep both sections even, providing they are the same thickness
Sometimes slight shimming is required using various thicknesses of cardboard from various cerial/pizza boxes.

Hth, David

Thanks to everyone who commented on and liked my bulkhead log load.
I picked up the load today, tilted it and watched logs fall out. Evidently, some logs were green and shrunk as they dried.
Think I will let the load dry for another couple days before putting in more logs.

Thanks to everyone who commented on and liked my bulkhead log load.
I picked up the load today, tilted it and watched logs fall out. Evidently, some logs were green and shrunk as they dried.
Think I will let the load dry for another couple days before putting in more logs.
Letting them dry, could help with preventing mold from forming due to moisture being left in it. I glued each piece in place as it went in.

Make a separate partition for OS 10.14, with the partition that has 10.15 as the boot drive. When you want to run 32 bit applications on the older OS, hold down the option key when booting. That will give you the option to use 10.14, 10.15, or Windoze.

Yeah. I've thought of doing that or having a separate bootable 10.14 drive (Thunderbolt or USB). I also have (but have not fully configured it) a 10.14 VMWare Fusion partition that boots just fine -- just need to get my 32 bit app installed in it. It is an older app, no longer supported (and I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for the new version), and it spread itself throughout the system somewhat when it was installed, so I will have to figure out how to get it moved in any case. I just want the excuse to build a Hackintosh before everything is ARM based :) I have not built a PC in a decade or more, though I did get Win10 running on my old tower Mac Pro last year to run my DCC stuff on.

Thanks

I had an interesting email from UPS today. It told me I am expecting a package from Newegg.com tomorrow. It gave me a tracking number.

Mystery solved. I had ordered some rubber mallets on Amazon, and the seller is someone called "Simple Nest" it turns out, and the tracking number I got from UPS with NEWEGG as the sender, is the same tracking number for the rubber mallets. I am guessing "Simple Next" also sells on NewEgg (as they will also warehouse and list your products on their website) and so they must have fulfilled it through their NEWEGG warehousing.

It was just really strange to get a UPS notice from a company I was perusing the day before but did not complete the order and and from which I had not ordered in 7 years.

Morning all,

Busy yesterday at work and barely any relief this morning so far.

Just time for coffee this Morning Francine!

Daughter's chemo is via I.V., so they are expecting long appointments (6 hours at a time), but no portacath.

I got home yesterday and fell asleep in the chair until supper. I don't usually do that. Even the wife who always falls asleep in her chair after work noticed...lol.

Good Morning Everyone. Partly cloudy and 73° again today, expected high of 93° just like yesterday. Weatherman is sticking to the forecast of rain Sunday, and then again from Tuesday through Saturday next week.
The weekly grocery/beer trek to Denton is today. Went to the Home Depot in Gainesville yesterday to return some extra stuff that I purchased when I installed the tankless water heater about six weeks ago. With very few exceptions, there were no face masks there, at the feed store, or the butcher shop. As I posted recently, there have only been 26 Covid-19 cases in our county.

Thanks for the likes (reactions) and positive comments yesterday regarding the progress report; Patrick, Jerome, Joe, Louis, Chet, Sherrel, Guy, Chad, James, Garry, Tom, Curt, Karl, Ken, Rick.

Morning Flo. Say, that BLT that Sherrel keeps ordering must be good. I'll have one myself this morning.

Out in the train shed yesterday, it was a short day because of all of life's other activities. I only worked on the "Small Town Retail Stores" but made some progress. Added signs and front ground floor window treatments.
06-18-20 001.JPG

I almost completed the side stairway and landing, still need to add the railing though. There's no real glue points involved so I need to study it some more.
06-18-20 002.JPG

View from the other side of the "Lounge"
06-18-20 003.JPG

I used a different concrete paint on these sidewalks since I ran out of my MM concrete. It's Woodland Scenics concrete and it is just a bit too light for the neighborhood.
06-18-20 004.JPG

I'll be going to the LHS a week from tomorrow when I will pick up some more MM if they have it. I really hate that Polly Scale is no more. Other than the hand rail and curtains, that's it for now on these structures until I repaint the sidewalk. Still to go are figures, streetlamps and a fire hydrant.

Patrick - Nice job repairing the layout. How's your daughter's recovery going?
Bob - Good to read of your safe return. How did the procedure go?
Joe - Love those NYC diesels.
Louis - Sorry to read of the cancelled July 4 festivities.

Everybody have a great day.

I'll be going to the LHS a week from tomorrow when I will pick up some more MM if they have it. I really hate that Polly Scale is no more. Other than the hand rail and curtains, that's it for now on these structures until I repaint the sidewalk. Still to go are figures, streetlamps and a fire hydrant.

Willie: I have been experimenting with some Model Master colors in a rattle can for sidewalks and other concrete applications. In particular Light Aircraft gray, and dark aircraft gray. I also have found an acrylic sold at craft stores that called "paving" works fine for black top.

no 4th of July crab feast/cookout this year.

Louis: There is always next year. No need to put your mom at risk.

Patrick:
The infusions of chemo are long days, but they do everything in their power to make the patient comfortable. Once the course is done, she will be fine. Right now, it's going to be very stressful. Best wishes.

Once I get moving , I have to work the phones concerning next week's event. Tomorrow, I have two more preliminaries scheduled, then it's wait for a time on Tuesday.

B&O # 32 @ Cumberland 05_17_1969.jpg

B&O ran this train to keep the Politicians from West Virginia happy for many years. Train # 32 the Eastbound "West Virginian" at Cumberland, MD on 5/17/1969
B&O # 35 @ Martinsburg WV 10_11_1969.jpg

Train # 35 at Martinsburg WV on 10/11/1969 Believe this was the remnant of the National Limited, once the B&O gave up on passenger trains, and just went through the motions.

Good Morning from the West!
It was 77 for a high yesterday and the forecast is for the same today with more sunny and breezy - after the low fog/clouds burn off.

Francine -- please double up on that BLT again that Willie ordered ... why mess up a good thing .. MEL was outstanding with it!

Sorry, Willie ... you wasted your time with the sidewalk paint - ouch! That's one needs a do-over.
The remainder of the construction and signage looks very nice.

Patrick - best wishes and prayers for your daughter. After reading her Chemo treatment, I am happy that I only had the pills. I hope she will do fine.

BBob - Welcome back ... sounds like you brought a truckload with you?

Louis, sorry about the canceled plans ... everything seems to be messed up this year!

I have an 11;30 appointments at the Ford stealership for a recall notice on the 2004 Ranger for changing something on an airbag recall - imagine that?

Good morning .....

Thanks, everybody, for comments and "likes" for my photos.

Joe .... The PC train and the B&O trains look like they should have RDC's or doodlebugs. Thanks for thinking of my observation car. I recall seeing the Denver Zephyr and the Nebraska Zephyr when I was a kid.

Willie ...... The shop and the restaurant look great. The lighter color for concrete looks okay. You can say it is newer concrete than the other concrete.

Cheers.

The PC train and the B&O trains look like they should have RDC's

Garry: The PC train originated in Baltimore, and set out Westbound M&E traffic at Harrisburg. Up through 1-30-68, the train carried substantial M&E traffic through to Buffalo, and was actually earning more than it cost to run the train. However, after the Merger, the M&E business was diverted to the NYC side, and this is what is left. Former NYC and NH RDCs were used in Metro North Commuter service. They wanted this train to lose it's shirt.

B&O 23 and 30 ran overnight between Cumberland MD and Parkersburg, WV. They stopped on signal at every patch in West Virginia. This train lost it's shirt back when steam powered, and was kept on to placate the Powerful West Virginia Congressional Delegation. Train had a DC sleeper until the 16-4 "Bird" cars were sold to the SCL. B&O # 35 was intended to acomodate Brunswick - Martinsburg commuters. that used to patronize the National Limited. B&O had every RDC it owned deployed in other Commuter services.

Minimum consists did not necessarily imply lack of patronage, but drastic shortages of coach class equipment that was fit for service. That's why Amtrak chose so few PC cars for its requirements.

Afternoon All,

Started out taking the wife out for breakfast and now feel sluggish. After getting home I put up my pictures in the train room. Afterwards I moved stuff around in the train room so that the left wall is open for the new framework.

Thank you all for the likes.

Garry- Thank you. Great photos. Did you use the 1:1 photo to recreate the scene on your layout?

Chet- Thank you. Great NP shots and layout shot.

Ken- I wish you luck with your Geep shells.

CA Dave- Several months ago we discovered major damage in the walls, train room subfloor, and dining room ceiling from a leaking roof (22 years old). To make the repairs the layout had to be removed (taken apart). I am now in the process of rebuilding it.

Terry- What language was that in post 521?:)

Joe- Kinked rail would ruin your day. Nice pictures.

Willie- Nice job on the window treatments.

20200618_121156.jpg

20200618_121207.jpg

20200618_121221.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Afternoon all. I have been as busy as a cat burying poo in a sandbox. Getting my new computer completely set up. I had some difficulty moving my SCARM license from the old computer to the new one. I gotta tell you SCARM worked with me for a couple of days to get everything right, fantastic customer service. Getting many of those no priority jobs done. Not a lot of train time though.
Guys, lots of great photos, really enjoying them.

LATER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back