Running Bear's January 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know for some people they may think I am crazy to look forward to this show but this is the biggest one around these parts. Having 4 buildings full of trains is an awesome venue. Lots of vendors and variety here. I have been to a lot of big big shows over the years this does rank in my top 5.
I have been to St. Louis MO shows, Chicago, IL shows, Milwaukee, WI shows, Tampa/Orlando, FL and Scranton, PA. I even been to one in Cincinati OH which was impressive as well.

They really do usually have good deals and most will bargain with you if you are polite and diplomatic about your approach. Also it helps if you do purchase more than one item/multiple sales is key for them and me. I always do well. I take my time. What I do when I first get there, is I do one quick moving sweep of all of the HO tables in all of the buildings. I only stop if something is rare or on my list then I quickly make the buy. Then I continue my sweep. Later I go back over everything thoroughly and slow. I usually find what I am looking for. My methods and madness works for me lol. It is a lot to cover but I have all day and I do take breaks in between. By the end of the day I am ready to go and get dinner.
Sounds like fun, man. I used to go to a great show in Kent, WA...was medium sized but they had GREAT sales, brass, FSM kits, etc. at REASONABLE prices, as well as great new vendors (smd's were just becoming mainstream...)...They also had silent auctions, the works...it was a blast. Great layouts too, but the swap/sales was the focus. Ah, the good ol' days.. .still looking for a show as good as that one was. Now I live in Michigan and the local show is nice, but not like that one... Sounds like I need to road trip to Amherst....

And, btw, you aren't crazy...I go in with multiple pages (a spreadsheet I keep printed out) with the road names, numbers and models I am looking for...of course, I often buy things NOT on the list, but I start focused....

Hello Happy Members !
As usual, I drew a new track plan using Peco (track and turnouts) and one Atlas #176 90° crossing.
Dimensions are: 67"x 67". I seriously hope that the Atlas crossing works very well with the Peco track.
All your comments, advices and criticisms will be greatly appreciated. You can also 🤣🤣🤣 if you want !

View attachment 160956
Too boring ! :oops: :rolleyes: o_O I must find a better idea. Thanks for watching.

FB_IMG_1675079771355.jpg

Good afternoon gang!

Where do I start? I got back home late last night like 10:30 pm needless to say I had a full day that started at 4:00 am. I slept like a bear in full hibernation. As soon as my head hit the pillow I was out!

My day was a fabulous one. I picked up Andy at 6:15 am on the way to West Springfiled, Mass. We zipped there and got in the parking lot by 8:00am. It turned out that a lot of other people were on the same wave length of getting there early. By the time I parked the truck the parking lot was 1/2 full. Thousands of cars it was unreal. We had our game plan in place and stood in line at the many entraces of the 5 buildings. Lines were long even though we were there early. Doors opened precisely at 9am. I did my 1st sweep on HO scale tables in 2 hours. I picked off a few items that stood out right away. One item on my list was PanAm cars. I found 3 different road numbers and got all 3 but like an IDIOT that I can be at times I should have bought all of the ones he had because they are so hard to find. I could of bought all 8 cars from him at a discounted rate. It was really stupid of me not to do that. I could have patched them for myself and weathered them or even re-sold them. I do not know what I was thinking. Live and learn. I hate it when I do something and and then rethink it over and have the light bulb come on in a delayed fashion! I am usually more savy than that. I guess I was in an overload frame of mind sigh. Next time!

So we took a break after 3 hours and went back to my truck to drop off all the stuff we got on our first sweep. We definitely got a lot of stuff. We had our packed lunches that we brought with us. Andy was very grateful that I gave him this tip on making his own luch to bring. He about fell over on the food concession prices that were there. I told him the amount of money spent on food there you could get a couple box cars for sure lol. So after about a 30 minute to 45 minute break we went back to doing our 2nd sweep and this time we split up as we both had our agendas. We met up later after getting what we wanted. I checked of about 7 items off my list. I did not find any locomotives I was searching for on my list BUT I did find one Scale Trains Museum Quality "Big Blow" new in the box...in this case in a brief case by Scale Train very nice. I did not purchase it and well I regret not getting it now. They had 2 and I realized it was a good and yet fair price brand new in the box. It was in Spring Creek Hobbies booth. They had it listed for 600 bucks. I could of gotten it for 550. Another mistake? I dunno.

I moved on to finding my cement structure by Walthers and I compared prices in 3 different booths. I paid 40 bucks and was happy with that. I found some nice trucks and one construction high rail CAT equipment. A few more 2 bay covered hoppers and box cars. 2 caboose in WP,

I will post a thread for the loot I got from the show.

Now here is why I got home late. We met up with a few RR short line owners that we met at the show and knew who they were as they are from my local area and Andy works for one of them. Well it turned out one of the owners that owns 2 working RS36s ALCOS for the shortline that Andy works for, invited us to an undisclosed location that was about 15 minutes from the show. He owns a "facility" that houses 4 RS1 Alcos and a few other equipment. I was given a tour. Then we went to another location where he bought a D&H original hopper that was sent to the scrap yard but never got scrapped he bought it for 1 dollar! He is going to restore for static display only and it be will taken to Salem NY and set on a piece of property he owns over there. I did take pictures of the hopper with his permission. Out of respect to the owner I did not take pictures of the RS1s or that property. He said I could but I wanted him to know my character that I respected him and his privacy. I apprectiated the invitation and opportunity he gave me to see all of this. He was grateful and apprciated my thoughtfulness. Unfortunately the area at times get some vandals so I knew not to take pictures. I just wanted to earn his respect and hope to get future invitations and visits etc. I think it was a well played card if ya know what I mean. I will post the hopper pictures on a new thread for ya'll to see it was really cool in my opinion.

I will upload pictures in a bit and will follow up with links on this post by editing this post in a short bit. All in all I had a great day and I was happy with my purchases. I will say I kinda wish I took a hotel and went back the next day as in today. This weekend event was outstanding. Every vendor came and it was busting at the seams. I also regret not taking many pictures of the operating layouts that were there. I was just focused mostly trying to items on my list. Plus I had Andy along with me as a guest so Iwanted to make sure he was good as it was his first time attending this sow and a show of this magnitude. He was blown away and was grateful for the invitation etc but it worked out well as I would not of had the opportunity to go see those RS1s. They were beautiful to see and all operational.

As for today....rest and relaxation. I may watch both games today.

EDIT FOR LINKS:

I don’t think you’re crazy. Enthusiasm is a great thing.

Looks like a great haul and shame on you about the “Big Blows”. Just kidding. They are stunning works by Scaletrains and the 3 I had sold very easy. Too big for my layout 32” curves. $620 on Spring Creeks website. Great deal compared to the $779 at Hiawatha Hobbies this morning.

So the show was fun but the afterwards super. A great day my friend…

Good morning. 6:25am here and 4F. Yesterday it was much warmer and flurries off and on. Saturday it was cloudy alternating with rays of sunshine and mid 30s. Someone found this cold air. Luckily it will be steadily warmer each day. High today is supposed to be only 16F but tomorrow 20F and then 28F the next day and 33F the next day and 49F by next Sunday. So say the weather guessers. And no precipitation through next Wednesday in their forecasts either.

based on this I’m hoping to get the garage slab poured Friday. Have a few things to get done but pretty much ready now. One corner to do and one to finish and brace. I’ll post later about our weekend but we got a lot done.

my alarm was set for 7am this morning but the wife was up at 5:30 for work. I had to use the facilities at 6am and after lying there 20 min and not falling asleep again I figured I’d get up. Get started with work a little early. Try to finish up some stuff.

I leave you with some pics of what I consider to be good looking locomotives.

Sounds like fun, man. I used to go to a great show in Kent, WA...was medium sized but they had GREAT sales, brass, FSM kits, etc. at REASONABLE prices, as well as great new vendors (smd's were just becoming mainstream...)...They also had silent auctions, the works...it was a blast. Great layouts too, but the swap/sales was the focus. Ah, the good ol' days.. .still looking for a show as good as that one was. Now I live in Michigan and the local show is nice, but not like that one... Sounds like I need to road trip to Amherst....

And, btw, you aren't crazy...I go in with multiple pages (a spreadsheet I keep printed out) with the road names, numbers and models I am looking for...of course, I often buy things NOT on the list, but I start focused....
From what I understand there is a great show in East Lansing in early November? at Michigan State. I have a few friends who venture over from Wisconsin. While not as huge as Amherst it is still big enough. Trainfest in Milwaukee is bigger but has a different focus then the sell tables at East Lansing.

My buy list is on my cellphone so I don’t buy duplicate numbers. I still buy duplicate numbers…

Hello from the chilled ok frozen tundra of So Central Wisconsin. Officially our weekend of snowfall was 10.9”. My drive way was at 11” so at least once the weather weenies and I agree. Today, it is +3f degrees now but feels like -11. It will be dropping all day to negative numbers.

I have a visitor coming to see the train room and what I have set up. Lives less than 2 miles away.

I never got to the neighbor a few houses down and across the street from me to see the 1/24th grain facility he built for a commercial display. He called yesterday to invite me before they loaded it up but I was at the grandson’s hockey game. He has a few vehicles he wants lightly weathered and 2 to be repainted for his client. He has an interest in trains but prefers building displays. I think if we get along, met him once last week I can improve my structure building.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and a chilly 25°, won't get back above freezing until Wednesday around noon if the weather persons are to be believed. Light freezing rain between now and then, and then showers from that point until sunset Thursday. If the radar is accurate, there's a small pocket of freezing rain about 60 miles south of here in north Ft Worth, just west of the big airport. I'll stay hunkered down indoors.

NFC game between Philly and Frisco must not have been too interesting, my wife bailed early in the 3rd quarter for Sex in the City! AFC game must have been better since she was irritated to have to pause it in order to help me make sure that I made the bed correctly after washing the linens. She's the sports fanatic in our house.

Since yesterday looked like the last travel day for us for a while, we went out to eat at a Mexican food place in Denton. I had a Carne Asada Y Enchilada while my wife had a three-enchilada plate. Delicious. We came home to many flashing red lights up our private road in front of the neighbors house. My first thought was that the sheriffs deputies were there to pick up our crazy ex-con neighbor again, but upon closer observation, I spotted a cherry picker up in the air with someone repairing an electrical problem. It was either a blown transformer or someone hit and knocked down a pole. Either way, the three neighbors up the hill were without power for a while, and they all use electric heat. While the disconnect for that line is in front of my house, it is past my incoming line. Not that it mattered as we would still have had heat. Quite a response for 8:30 on a Sunday night in sub-freezing weather out in the middle of nowhere. There were at least 5 trucks there with all of the accompanying red flashing lights.

Yesterday was Sunday once again out in the train shed. Limited time always due to church in the morning delaying the rest of the day. I cleaned a few more structures.
Vivian's Shoe Store, from Smalltown USA, and an unidentified structure made from DPM modular walls I think.
IMG_2891.JPG

The picture of the next structure is blurred so it will remain a mystery for now.
I devoted the rest of my time out there working with Pikestuff wall panels and roof pieces to start some of the main buildings for the Ethanol refinery. I started on the end with the fermentation tanks and the adjoining structure that needs to butt up against the tank building.
IMG_2889.JPG

I have no real clue what should be inside this building, but it looks appropriate. More like it will be added to the left, eventually culminating in a long (240 scale feet) covered shed for unloading grain, four hoppers at a time..

Tom O - Neighbors helping neighbors. What a great concept to read about. Of course, snowblowers are foreign to us here!
Karl -
Today my DCC guru was here to evaluate track plans and he kinda upset the apple cart. Not so much DCC wise of even track wise, but where I was planning yards and industries for operation. he made some very valid points to consider. We also came up with ideas to improve staging. Lots to think and rethink about.
I guess that's the track plan that we haven't seen??? Or have we and I was asleep?
Sherrel - Great picture of SLSF 475. I saw a lot of Frisco locos from '72-'81 as they went past where I worked, but never saw one that clean! A lot of what I saw were GP38-2's, as they were perfectly suited to the flatlands between Dallas and Tulsa. It was a real shame when they all started being painted green & white beginning in '82 or so. Makes me sad that affordable digital cameras didn't come along for another 20 years. That rail line saw 10-12 trains a day during my working hours, all of the way until my retirement.

Gotta go now and load the heater. y'all have a great day.

Last edited:
Morning from the WEST -- Rain, if you can call it that -- more like a drizzle .05 (that's point zero five) in 12 hours!
OK, Laugh - as LOUIS said. This is bordering desert country. The forecast is for the same to continue all day with a temp of 45f going up to a 54f high.

I was disappointed in the score of the first game yesterday - someone forgot to bring their gloves and bats?
However, I did like the second game and the outcome - I feel that Andy Reid deserves a few winners; I used to feel bad for him as a coach - seemed he was always on the losing end of the stick?

Glad to see that you guys are all still here? ME TOO!
BBL

41°, and cloudy, with the sunlight breaking through, going to 55°. Did not get anywhere near the forecast low overnight.

Not much on the calendar today, just one phone call to make later.

The Capitals fell flat on their faces yesterday, in Toronto. :mad: Definitely showing their age... Score 5 - 1. Samsonov, one of two goalies the Caps traded at the end of last season, allowed 1 GA, for a .958 Save percentage...Darcy Kuemper, (the overpaid goalie they chose to replace Samsonov and Vanecek), allowed 4 GA, for a .800 Save percentage...Coach Peter Laviolette prefers to coach 35 year olds, than 20 something whippersnappers. The caps average out to be the oldest team in the NHL. :(:rolleyes::( Meanwhile, the Carolina Hurricanes beat the Boston Bruins 4 - 1. That's Boston's third loss in arow.

PC N7B PC 21048 Harrisburg Sept 1974 - Steven M Geisler Photo.jpg

PC Cabin Car, September 1974, Harrisburg, PA...Steven Geisler photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back