Running Bear's January 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prayers and well wishes for your procedure. I looked it up to see what was involved. Great ship photos.
Curt: Thank you. The brochure description is somewhat scary. They do a lot of these where I'm going, so I'm confident things will go ok, and I'll have a complete recovery. Prayer is always welcome. :)

The ship pictures were a surprise. Last time I tried to look them up,I couldn't find any mention of them. In 1960, I was 12 and in the 8th grade. It was cool to set foot on a real cargo ship. I was aware of Moore McCormick's liners the SS. Brazil and SS Argentina, because a relative of my mothers sailed from NY to Argentina on one of them and sent us a post card. Ironically, the passenger accommodations on the freighters were partially intended to replace the liners, once Brantiff started flying Jets and siphoned off most of their business.

Happens to us as well, LOUIS! We each grab a mark- a- lot and hastily draw out a crummy looking card and then laugh about it.
Happy Birthday to your Angel ....
Thanks Sherrel, I will pass your happy birthday wish on to her.

I've made my share of cards. My artistic skills are non-existent. I'm not even qualified to use crayons. My wife was always grateful for my kindergarten level cards.

A few months ago, when we were Christmas shopping, I bought Hallmark card stock and envelopes. When it came, I stuck it on the shelf with the printer supplies. Later when I was working on the computer in our upstairs office, I bought the download version of Hallmark's card studio. Yesterday I printed out a card as nice as any you can buy in a Hallmark store. She never even noticed I had the supplies. The card will be a surprise too!

I have the gift and card ready and I'm waiting for her this morning. I was so excited I woke up at 1:30am. I can't wait to see the look on her face!

Six-billion-dollar replacement for the Baltimore and Potomac tunnel.
1675160242813.png

Baltimore and Potomac Tunnel
Baltimore and Potomac Railroad

Last edited:
Cold Morning in Doo-Dah where it's currently 10°. Going for a high today of 26°. Warming back to the mid to upper 50's by the weekend.

Going to be busy today, last of the updates are running on the email server, which finally is doing what it's supposed to be doing. Maybe back to normal by the end of the day, or at least as normal as it will be for a while. Still tons of changes being orchestrated.

Karl: Belated Happy Birthday. Hope you had a good day.

Boris: Good luck on your upcoming surgery. My Mother-in-law and my grandfather both had valve replacements done and felt a lot better when it was done.

Everyone have a great day.

Good morning from a cold Wisconsin morning. It’s -13f feels like -13 and much much nicer then the prediction the local TV guy said at the 6PM weather and the 10PM where he said we would be -25. I can handle this. Our warmup out of the minus temperatures starts this afternoon. The app says high will hit +12f. So just another indoor day.

Terry did mention a 1 day soda sale at our local Pick and Save (Kroger). Dr Pepper is 4 for $10. 6 packs of 16.9oz bottles. Coke yesterday was 3 for $14.99. Crazy. The 4 for $10 may get me out of the house

enjoy the day

Good morning - 39 degrees and supposed to be partly sunny and 57 later.
OAN - We have reached our "normal" rainfall total for the year and still have six months left in the season!

Welcome back CURT!

I could use a few of those soda deals, TomO -- just a little far to drive?

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 23° here. Headed up to an almighty high of 28° later today, no sun expected. Nothing falling from the sky right now. We had some minor sleet here yesterday, but it wasn't enough to officially measure. Yesterday was not bad on the SFW estate. However all hell broke loose south and southeast of here. The ice prevention solution that the highway department put down Sunday didn't work and I-35/I35E were complete nightmares with a light coating of ice. It was primarily 18-wheelers (who shouldn't have been on the road to begin with), slipping, sliding and getting stuck on bridges and hills. Many accidents, but no serious injuries or deaths. Many road closures due to blocked lanes. A lot of one truck got stuck and another decided to go around and got stuck next to it. Once cleared away, two more would do the same thing. Even the parts which are three lanes wide got blocked. Eventually troopers had them all pull over to the shoulder to wait for a while, and only allowed them to use the right lane, one at a time, when the flow resumed. Back roads were in a lot better shape. More wintry mix around mid-morning today, and all day tomorrow. It won't get above freezing until noonish Thursday. The TV weather persons are working overtime.

Yesterday was mostly spent indoors, many hours facing the computer updating my train database, and organizing mp3's. I already miss the sun; it's been too cold to walk my full 1.25 miles, I did get in a half mile before the sleet started. The wind today is too serious for me to attempt, whether or not the paved road is usable. The gravel road is more amendable when there is any ice or snow accumulation.

Thanks as always for the comments and reactions to the layout progress and updates.

The train shed was tolerable yesterday considering the outdoor temperature of 25°, it was 55° in there. That's about 12° warmer than it used to stay under similar conditions before I got the additional 1500 watt heater for out there. Since I was wearing long sleeves out there, I confined myself to mainly running many trains. I did clean up a couple more structures.
IMG_2899 (2).JPG

Last week I showed the build of a P2K covered hopper for MKT, I just happened to have a shot of one from Santa Fe.
IMG_2898.JPG

I've actually got 14 ATSF P2K covered hoppers.

Curt - Welcome back. Looking forward to seeing the model build.
Louis - Please wish Angela a Happy Birthday from me. My wife pointed out to me that her birthday this year will be on Super Bowl Sunday, the first time that that has ever happened. That game used to be a lot earlier in the year if I recall. While I and many others complain about commercials on TV, it is ironic that so many watch that game for the commercials!o_O
Terry - Good luck at the DMV today.
Jaz - I am ready to go on the garden this year. I am a bit later than normal because the Farmer's Almanac warned me ahead of time. I will however be starting tomatoes indoors this week, something that I haven't done in about a dozen years. I'll be planting an heirloom mix of six different varieties, green, gold striped with red, yellow, purple, black and red. Should be a colorful row. This week, I will also start some Spinach and Lettuce seeds indoors, and then outdoor planting of onions in about 10 days from now. Peas, Broccoli, Cabbage and Lettuce later in the month; after the new moon. The Spinach plants should be ready to set out in about three weeks, Tomatoes at the end of March. My frost-free date is March 20. My alkaline soil does not support potatoes and corn is a waste of valuable space for me, but there will be a lot of other stuff eventually. I already have all of my seed ready.
Troy - Praise and support the border Czar as much as you want, but you're not in a border state.

Today is Nolan Ryan's 76th birthday. He is still much revered here in his native Texas. He still has 51 MLB records. His Nolan Ryan Angus Beef is most excellent, but is not even available outside of the eastern side of Texas. Sorry El Paso, Austin and San Antonio! Somewhat ironic since the company headquarters is in Round Rock TX, just 18 miles north of Austin.

Everybody have a great day.

. A lot of one truck got stuck and another decided to go around and got stuck next to it. Once cleared away, two more would do the same thing. Even the parts which are three lanes wide got blocked. Eventually troopers had them all pull over to the shoulder to wait for a while, and only allowed them to use the right lane, one at a tim
I used to take 18 wheelers over the Alps, (my boss at the time didn't want to pay the tunnel toll). The trick with big trucks is to go steady, slow with no sharp movements of the steering wheel or brakes, and follow the truck in front, if three or four rigs do that, they will actually clear the lane their using, if they don't mayhem usually ensues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back