Running Bear's January 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
414814.JPG

To be fair, our railroads are privately owned, so everything is fenced off, and maybe we have a handful of crossings that are not protected(no barriers) most lines are double tracks, and we don't haul the tonnage the US does in a single train, so really unless you were to rear end another train, unlikely, or derail the loco chance were good you'd survive.

And I was referring to the class 37, the 66 is horrible. 😁
Blasphemy class 66 has some of the best liveries
hell I keep meaning to put this one together, that I painted before they made them..I finished it, but can’t see a photograph

Attachments

• B3298196-C09B-431C-A1E4-B7FE9855B89B.jpeg
    B3298196-C09B-431C-A1E4-B7FE9855B89B.jpeg
    385.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 7E0AA91F-8CF9-4A18-AAE4-5F079FCE05CB.jpeg
    7E0AA91F-8CF9-4A18-AAE4-5F079FCE05CB.jpeg
    399 KB · Views: 29
  • 7CBB7508-45EE-45FF-AFD6-190A9C9EF09E.jpeg
    7CBB7508-45EE-45FF-AFD6-190A9C9EF09E.jpeg
    410.5 KB · Views: 35
Good evening. 32° and partly cloudy. Not much going on, I've been checking old thumb drives of photos dating back to 2004 or so, have one or two to upload in future posts.

My Aortic Valve Replacement, (TAVR), is scheduled for Friday, February 3rd. Pre-op testing and orientation is Wednesday, February 1.

View attachment 160926
Roger Puta photo, PC Alco S-3 on 12/20/1969 in Buffalo, NY, drilling Express cars. Note bay window on engineer's side.
Good luck,hope it goes well.

My Aortic Valve Replacement, (TAVR), is scheduled for Friday, February 3rd. Pre-op testing and orientation is Wednesday, February 1.
Joe - My sincerest best wishes for a successful procedure. TAVR seems to be a much less stressful procedure than the old-fashioned open heart surgery; at least they don't stop the heart during a TAVR procedure. My prayers are with you.

I've either operated or ridden on each of the above locomotives.
I ran 1633 many times after qualifying, in excursion service. If you rode the excursions on that tourist road on Sundays in the late 1990s, there's a very good chance I was your engineer. Joe, you may have operated that thing at some point, it was an ex-NYC/PC/CR engine.
I ran 108 at the museum, taking advantage of their "rent a locomotive" program.
I was one of the every few people ever to get a cab ride during an excursion to Jacksonville, FL. NS had a strict "no riders" policy then, and I happened to be in the cab when the crew was abruptly given orders to turn the train on the wye. I remained out of the way, technically on the tender deck, as the crew completed the movement.

Good Morning All. Weather is changing as I post this. At 0500, it was 51°, no winds and cloudy skies. Wind is now (0600) at 15 mph from the north and the temperature is going down, with an overnight low at 26° for the next three days. Rain starts tomorrow evening and freezing rain is expected Tuesday and maybe Wednesday. Upper 50's and 60's again Friday.

Yesterday I got my tiller back from my neighbor who was tuning it up. He replaced the carburetor, which had developed a crack, put on a new fuel line and filter and changed the oil. He also replaced one of the hard to operate control cables that wouldn't respond to WD-40. It ran almost like new when I tried it out. Much better than last year. I didn't go overboard with it yet, since I still have to haul compost and shredded wood chips to part of it. But I did get the area intended for onions and spinach tilled to a depth of 8", with plenty of soil amendments mixed in. Typically I am planting onions at this time, but the Farmer's Almanac says to wait until February 9; the spinach can be planted today if I get the urge. Spinach seed is hardy and will sit dormant in the ground until the moisture and ground temperature are what it likes. It germinates best between 50° and 60°, but will germinate with a soil temperature as low as 40°, and survives air temperature as low as 20°. Lettuce tolerates similar temperatures, but tends to have leaf damage. Those of you who have known me for a few years already know my passion for organic vegetable growing is second only to trains.

OK, on to something besides horticulture. Out in the train shed yesterday, I continued cleaning structures. I started with the last one along the front of the layout, Paul's Pizzeria, a built up that I received for Christmas a few years ago.
IMG_2887.JPG

Then onward to the other side of the railroad tracks along another street. On the corner are two structures that share a base from Heljan, I think from their "Courthouse Square" series of buildings from 30+ years ago.
IMG_2886.JPG

Next are a few structures from Smalltown USA.
IMG_2888.JPG

Tom O - Not only is the weather now described as "events", those events are getting names!
Chris - That orange bus must be a bitch to drive on those UK roads.

That's it for now. Everybody have a great day. Now at 0700 it's dropped to 38° outside. Brrr!

Hello Happy Members !
As usual, I drew a new track plan using Peco (track and turnouts) and one Atlas #176 90° crossing.
Dimensions are: 67"x 67". I seriously hope that the Atlas crossing works very well with the Peco track.
All your comments, advices and criticisms will be greatly appreciated. You can also 🤣🤣🤣 if you want !

1978-2.jpg

Chris - That orange bus must be a bitch to drive on those UK roads.
It's similar to a large truck and trailer,you just have to be aware where the rear end is when you turn at road junctions, our roads are smaller so if someone goes past the white stop line, someone has to back up, (not me) always fun watching half dozen cars having to back up, and the only person who knows why is the guy in the front.

On most road junctions we have two stop lines, the first is for bicycles, motorbikes etc., second one is 6' back from that, which is for cars and trucks, but there's always some dumbbell who'll ignore the first one and stop on the second one, when that happens and you come over the junction, they will be backing up.

1674999516584.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back