Running Bear's January 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Birthday Karl!!!
1674945158400.png

Look who is in the lead!

Karl, it is a sad and disturbing situation. I can't blame you for how you feel, I understand. This once great city has become unrecognizable in some areas. I'm glad to hear of those great memories of 33rd street. That was a magical place!

I was born on Caroline Street at the old Saint Joeseph's hospital in Baltimore. I have never lived more than eleven miles from where I was born.
When I was at my peak and making a profit was easy, I thought of buying a big house in one of the surrounding counties. Instead, I bought a house in the Beverly Hills area of Baltimore city. Martin O'Malley's mom was one of my neighbors.

Then my health failed, and my then wife, now ex went crazy. I was hemorrhaging money fast. I had no choice other than to lower my cost of living. I rented a cheap house in north Dundalk, Baltimore city. You were there. I now own a single home two blocks south from there, still in the city. My health has stabilized and I'm doing well financially, but I would never dream of moving again. I would not have the energy for it, and I enjoy living in Dundalk. Everything is close and life is convenient. I'm still big enough to be scary and my beagles make sure nobody can sneak up on me.

I can only hope and pray for my city and vote for honest people. I have faith it will rise again. I truly do love Baltimore.
A lot of cities and big towns suffer, We moved to the country to a medium town, and then to a small village, we try to stay under the radar, no attractive front entrance, Tesla parked out of site,nothing expensive in the front hall.
I feel really sorry for people stuck in cities as life has become really grim.
My dad fought for a better country, he had seen sone things going downhill but he moved to us in the village, but he died just before Covid, before shutdowns,before pubs and restaurants and shops suffered, before strikes and before Ukraine, and I think to my self he had a good full life, and left with promise still for the future. thankfully he did not see the world starting to tear itself to pieces.
The US is despised by dictators, but a lot of its friend fail to give credit where credit is due, and I worry a lot of us are going to need to stand up.IF a major war break out those of the right age are often righteous overweight seriously unhealthy computer nerds who are gonna be shocked by a real war instead of a pixilated one on a screen.Many can’t cook, are used to central heating, and won’t be healthy enough to March,and the Govs are gonna need sone seriously large numbers of xxl uniforms….um I think they usially get those from China.
We and other rich countries have treated our farmers dreadfully, relying on cheap imports of animal and veg and grains, I worry there is going to be a reckoning. I hope my other half is considered too old to be called up
Not a political rant, because I do not think our respective Govs could have foreseen such a perfect storm and not giving our military decent kit innovation and numbers was a slight oversight. IF we. Are lucky we might wall a safe path, me I grow veg, keep animals (which is not profitable) have wooded the land we own, we has bought in edible wildlife. Solar, woodburners blah blah blah. At worse we will make our pension years easier.
Long term if the greenhouse and waters rising people are right…Huston we may have a problem. Perhaps we should have considered a deep sea vessel, only I get sea sick on rough water.
But to reiterate I do not know ofANY town or city that is better today than it was 10 20 or even 3 0 years ago :(.

English Electric Class 55, seriously thinking of ordering one of these, not the prettiest Loco I'll admit,
Nothing wrong with that, Smudge ... I don't consider anything built after 1955 pretty -- as a steam fan and friend always says, "Just another painted box". :rolleyes:

Actually - doesn't look bad to me at all! Thomas would be proud -- 😁😂🤣!

Please tell me what the 1650x2 means? And the Co' Co' means???

Late today - busy, busy, boy!

High temp today was 62f with severe clear! 😊😀

one of the biggest grumps I've got about Britishism is trying to figure out Truck, Van, Caravan, Lorrey, et al...

We've got Van, Camper (usually pulled by a truck), RV, and Mobile Home. So the USA-isms are not much better, but at least I grew up with them in the RV capital of the world (most of the US ones come out of Northern Indiana)
Smudges yours I think, class 1,2,3 plus buses, the big bend in the middle units- rare here, caravan is a non mobile unit that has to be towed, a camper van is a drivablek unit from a small vw camper to the large motor ho,e and at least w bedrooms, a static caravan is usually 3 bed and goes on the back of a large flatbed loader (my terms are probably making smudge laugh) todays new drivers do not automatically get to drive certain sized smaller items or tow. I can drive a 7 ton, pitiful little thing but on our roads can be fun, fine on a dual carriage way or a main a road. give me a normal car anyway.
t
hanks to the film industrŷ we get your vehicles.

Class 66, not pretty per say, but a nice livery helps
One loco different liveries
diesel electric

Attachments

• 0EEAAC4E-5BEA-4DC5-BC48-80E79C3AEE44.jpeg
    0EEAAC4E-5BEA-4DC5-BC48-80E79C3AEE44.jpeg
    523.2 KB · Views: 31
  • F8045232-0DEB-4BFB-9DDA-32D5D0A04FA0.jpeg
    F8045232-0DEB-4BFB-9DDA-32D5D0A04FA0.jpeg
    435.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 7157342F-338E-4EFC-8951-D8E63F04BEB7.jpeg
    7157342F-338E-4EFC-8951-D8E63F04BEB7.jpeg
    557.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Yes I know not a beauty, but a great work horse
diesal electric

Attachments

• 5D0EC40B-89C1-4EF9-A25A-A7B8DD274032.jpeg
    5D0EC40B-89C1-4EF9-A25A-A7B8DD274032.jpeg
    601.3 KB · Views: 34
  • E38F5F8B-2FBF-4D62-BA79-26552F0551BE.jpeg
    E38F5F8B-2FBF-4D62-BA79-26552F0551BE.jpeg
    513.9 KB · Views: 30
  • D70C338E-BFB0-46CA-A7DC-06E93D08028A.jpeg
    D70C338E-BFB0-46CA-A7DC-06E93D08028A.jpeg
    443.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 99CB5122-A76A-440A-9343-94D4ED584EA9.jpeg
    99CB5122-A76A-440A-9343-94D4ED584EA9.jpeg
    519.5 KB · Views: 36
not giving our military decent kit innovation and numbers was a slight oversigh
Sorry Jaz, slight is not the word I would use, huge is the one you want.

When the Falklands went off, no one had body armour, fair enough, we shifted a lot of kit and bodies in 5 days.

Desert Storm kicked off, troops went out with Land Rovers that were used in NI as snatch vehicles in the 70's, body armour if you could get it, consisted of a jacket with 1" steel plates front and back, again ex NI kit, AFV's again from the 70's, some even earlier, except for the tanks, we had our wives, gf's, and mother's send stockings to put over the air intakes of the vehicles to keep the sand out of the engines, because we didn't have the correct air filters, food was cooked on petrol burners, we even "borrowed" generators from the yanks to power our equipment, slight ??

Oh! and get this, the US Marine Corps alone, outnumbers the entire UK military, nearly 2:1 and getting smaller every year.

Last edited:
You guys must like them suicide cabs. Not much protection in an accident.
To be fair, our railroads are privately owned, so everything is fenced off, and maybe we have a handful of crossings that are not protected(no barriers) most lines are double tracks, and we don't haul the tonnage the US does in a single train, so really unless you were to rear end another train, unlikely, or derail the loco chance were good you'd survive.

And I was referring to the class 37, the 66 is horrible. 😁

Good evening. 32° and partly cloudy. Not much going on, I've been checking old thumb drives of photos dating back to 2004 or so, have one or two to upload in future posts.

My Aortic Valve Replacement, (TAVR), is scheduled for Friday, February 3rd. Pre-op testing and orientation is Wednesday, February 1.

S-3 Buffalo 12-20-1969 Roger Puta Photo.jpg

Roger Puta photo, PC Alco S-3 on 12/20/1969 in Buffalo, NY, drilling Express cars. Note bay window on engineer's side.

And the Co' Co' means???

Co’ Co’. means dual 3 wheel per side trucks (6 wheel) — all driven. Bo’ Bo’ are dual 2 wheel per side (4 wheel) trucks — all driven. I don’t remember what the classification system is that uses that nomenclature. But written that way is the European way. Co-Co or C-C are other ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back