Running Bear's January 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though I'm an American, I've always liked these engines, I don't know why, but they're just really cool. If I were to get one I'm not sure what I would do with it, I don't think it would fit well on a North-Midwest themed layout šŸ˜‚. I guess it wouldn't be any different than anyone else in the world having an American locomotive on their layout. $322 USD is kinda expensive though. What company is producing this model? I know you mentioned Hornby but in the sense you were saying it I don't think that's who is producing it.
No it's not Hornby, this is a company called Accurascale, from Hornby you'll pay, for a decent DCC ready loco around Ā£190 plus a blank Loksound V5 decoder is another Ā£90, so together that's Ā£280, getting a Deltic from these guys with all the bells and whistles included for that price is I think worth it. That's also the same price I paid for the class 37 I ordered two years ago (that's still to arrive tho':()

Accurascale are certainly equivalent to Rivet Counters, maybe better, (I don't have a rivet counter to compare it with), I've pre-ordered a SD90, which is costing me over Ā£300 including all the taxes, so this is actually cheaper for me than buying a US loco.

They've also do their own 3D imaging of everything they manufacture, (they also do freight cars etc.) as well as making their own sound files from actual running loco's here in the UK, not someone else's recording, also their one of the few manufacturers that really listen to us, the modeller, they've made numerous changes to their pre-production samples when discrepancies have creeped in and have been spotted by modellers. Oh yeah, worth mentioning, you know that wheel squeal you get when a loco goes round a bend, they've even included that in their sound file.

This is their website, well worth a look, even if you don't like UK stuff and you'll see the kind of attention to detail they do

Last edited:
I think beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think most US diesel prototypes are ugly as sin, with the exception of the E/F series types... Cool as sin as well. But very utilitarian in looks. Personally I prefer the European and Japanese locomotives for style and flair. YMMV.

FWIW: I do have SD70ACe and ES44 of some type from UP as my sole US prototypes... and I bought more well cars for them recently
That's definitely true, I like US diesel's , but very little UK stuff, I adore UK steam, but with only a few exceptions, dislike US steam

You can say it's a slow night.
IMG_1151.jpg

Well it's Friday!

The eve of my road trip! I am ready to go! I will be headed out before sunrise to pick-up another fella who will be going with me. He happens to be an engineer for a shortline RR near me. He is also an ALCO fan. It so happens the shortline has an all ALOC fleet that contains RS2s, RS36s S1 and S2. Recently the short line acquired a RS1 as well. Pretty cool.

Tomorrow weather should be a little warmer so that bodes well with me and traveling conditions. I have my list, cash, plastic and my lunch/snacks with drinks packed. All set!

I am gojng to head out for a dinner at the Texas Roadhouse tonight to grab a bite for steak, bake tater loaded with a salad then head home to run a few trains. Gonna go to bed early too!

Ya'll have a good evening and weekend! I will of course post up the loot I get from the show and post a few videos on my YouTube channel as well. Speaking of which I uploaded a few more short clips of testing various locomotives. All have sound too. Nothing special going on but things are coming with changes and updates for the layout.

Take pictures. I'm hope Scale Trains has an announcement. If your near any hotels get the names if you could, I would like to go there next year.

Well, howdy there internet people and those who know what TTRPG and #opendnd stand for.

Today, I can announce that the nerds won! šŸŽ‚šŸŽ†šŸŽˆšŸŽ‰
Screen Shot 2023-01-28 at 6.06.46 AM.png

If you will recall... the people who make Dungeons and Dragons game books were trying to do away with their OGL (Open Game License) version 1.0A.

That license allowed third-party people, to use the core rules set (but not copyrighted characters and settings) and create ADDITIONAL content that meshed with the rules. And then sell those extra books on various market places as long as they had the legal disclaimer about using the OGL.

Wizards of the Coast (WotC) is gearing up for a 6th ed of their game, and insider leaks showed that they were trying to dramatically increase their revenue from the game.

If you've never played, imagine me and five of my friends sitting around a table. I've got one of my stories open in front of me, in outline form. I start telling the story to the others. But each of them is acting as one of the characters in the story. When the dead body is discovered, they get to react and do things like I investigate the body, without touching it or anything around it. I as the game master/storyteller might ask them to roll a 20-sided dice, add their character's unique ability modifier (investigation +3). If they beat a preset number (say 17) they notice a note tucked in the deceased shirt pocket... if they score a 25 or more they'd notice red weathering powder under the fingernails... but their bonuses aren't high enough to give them that even if they roll a 20...

That's important to picture... how a game is played. Because what existed before the pandemic, surged during. Virtual play over the internet. There are several online businesses that bring people together via the computer with webcams and microphones.

I could get my 5 friends together, no matter where they were using these online VTTs (virtual table-tops). We'd all sit in our own homes, turn on the webcams, and I'd share the Virtual Maps via the Zoom-like interface. The better VTTS keep all the elements on the screen at once, have built-in dice rollers (You hit - roll the damage for the fireball - player types command /roll 10d6 to generate a total of 10 6-sided dice)

Here's screengrab of one such tabletop showing a character sheet to the left, and weapons for that character far right. The map shows the characters engaged in battle with the big red circled critter.

EF6QedAU8AAH9W5.jpg

The current move is to add cool visual and sound effects to the experience... A mage throws lightning bolt at the critter, and it lights up like the nazis with the Ark at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

THAT series of effects and cool VTT experience was what the powers at WotC were really targeting. But the OGL 1.0A was in the way. It was tooooo open. They had to dump it to limit the VTTs provided by other companies.

So they tried to roll out the new one, get some of the top 3rd Party Providers of content to sign. And even with the NDAs involved, the new agreement leaked.

And everyone realized it wasn't just VTTs... but everything that would be quashed.

It would be like Model Railroad Big Monopoly telling TomO that he'd have ONLY weather cars a certain way, only sell them via the official portal, and he'd owe the big monopoly 25%. Unintended consequenced, said the BIG MONOPOLY... but we have to protect our intellectual property.

Now add in the Pres of "Weathering Cars" division of BIG MONOPOLY going to the shareholders via zoom, and telling them that Weathering Cars division is under-monetized. Or, in this case, WotC prez told Hasbro's board that D&D was under-monetized.

Leaks in the past month revealed that WOTC didn't just want to remove competitors for the VTTs, and limit their use of cool zap and frazzle effects... DnD was building their own immersive Virtual table-top that would look and feel more like a video game environment.

Oh, and you want the cool zap and sizzle fireworks for YOUR character to use? Pay WotC a few $$ and it's all yours. Need a better graphic of fancy armor for your dwarf fighter, pay WotC a few $$ for the upgraded graphic.

They were going to reverse the under monetization by creating a monopoly on the VTT, then charge $$ for a bunch of "micro transactions"

Everything that Table Top Role Play gaming is NOT. Players play for the imagination, cooperation, and the fun of working through the story. Not for how cool their video avatar looks.

And the players rebelled. HARD.

Leaks say that 40,000+ people canceled subscriptions to the current basic VTT and rules library that WotC has.

DnD's nearest competitor, Pathfinder (owned by Paizo) sold out of 8 months of their core rulebook, in two weeks. (I purchased one).

WotC tried a lame apology, and "we will listen" approach. That sank like the Titanic.
So they issued a DRAFT OGL 1.2, and opened a survey about it.

A week went by, and they closed the survey a week early. Here is what they shared from that survey:

Your feedback in the OGL 1.2 survey is already clear and we are acting on it:
  • 62% are satisfied with adding the SRD to Creative Commons & those dissatisfied want more in CC
  • 89% are dissatisfied with deauthorizing OGL 1.0a
  • 88% do not want to publish content under OGL 1.2
And there was much rejoicing across Nerdom... One of the rare times that the consumer was able to directly affect a corporate provider of goods and services to do a full 180.

It doesn't sound like a big win. But it was. I suspect that a Senior VP in charge of the new online VTT micro-transaction program is boxing his stuff, and dusting off his resume. If not, then the CEO and Pres of WotC will be. Right now, the Nerd side of Hasbro is the only side that's profitable. And it's carrying the board game and toy side of the parent company.

OK.. back to trains. :)

Last edited:
Well, howdy there internet people and those who know what TTRPG and #opendnd stand for.

View attachment 160830
If you will recall... the people who make Dungeons and Dragons game books were trying to do away with their OGL (Open Game License) version 1.0A.

That license allowed third-party people, to use the core rules set (but not copyrighted characters and settings) and create ADDITIONAL content that meshed with the rules. And then sell those extra books on various market places as long as they had the legal disclaimer about using the OGL.

Wizards of the Coast (WotC) is gearing up for a 6th ed of their game, and insider leaks showed that they were trying to dramatically increase their revenue from the game.

If you've never played, imagine me and five of my friends sitting around a table. I've got one of my stories open in front of me, in outline form. I start telling the story to the others. But each of them is acting as one of the characters in the story. When the dead body is discovered, they get to react and do things like I investigate the body, without touching it or anything around it. I as the game master/storyteller might ask them to roll a 20-sided dice, add their character's unique ability modifier (investigation +3). If they beat a preset number (say 17) they notice a note tucked in the deceased shirt pocket... if they score a 25 or more they'd notice red weathering powder under the fingernails... but their bonuses aren't high enough to give them that even if they roll a 20...

That's important to picture... how a game is played. Because what existed before the pandemic, surged during. Virtual play over the internet. There are several online businesses that bring people together via the computer with webcams and microphones.

I could get my 5 friends together, no matter where they were using these online VTTs (virtual table-tops). We'd all sit in our own homes, turn on the webcams, and I'd share the Virtual Maps via the Zoom-like interface. The better VTTS keep all the elements on the screen at once, have built-in dice rollers (You hit - roll the damage for the fireball - player types command /roll 10d6 to generate a total of 10 6-sided dice)

Here's screengrab of one such tabletop showing a character sheet to the left, and weapons for that character far right. The map shows the characters engaged in battle with the big red circled critter.

View attachment 160831

The current move is to add cool visual and sound effects to the experience... A mage throws lightning bolt at the critter, and it lights up like the nazis with the Ark at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

THAT series of effects and cool VTT experience was what the powers at WotC were really targeting. But the OGL 1.0A was in the way. It was tooooo open. They had to dump it to limit the VTTs provided by other companies.

So they tried to roll out the new one, get some of the top 3rd Party Providers of content to sign. And even with the NDAs involved, the new agreement leaked.

And everyone realized it wasn't just VTTs... but everything that would be quashed.

It would be like Model Railroad Big Monopoly telling TomO that he'd have ONLY weather cars a certain way, only sell them via the official portal, and he'd owe the big monopoly 25%. Unintended consequenced, said the BIG MONOPOLY... but we have to protect our intellectual property.

Now add in the Pres of "Weathering Cars" division of BIG MONOPOLY going to the shareholders via zoom, and telling them that Weathering Cars division is under-monetized. Or, in this case, WotC prez told Hasbro's board that D&D was under-monetized.

Leaks in the past month revealed that WOTC didn't just want to remove competitors for the VTTs, and limit their use of cool zap and frazzle effects... DnD was building their own immersive Virtual table-top that would look and feel more like a video game environment.

Oh, and you want the cool zap and sizzle fireworks for YOUR character to use? Pay WotC a few $$ and it's all yours. Need a better graphic of fancy armor for your dwarf fighter, pay WotC a few $$ for the upgraded graphic.

They were going to reverse the under monetization by creating a monopoly on the VTT, then charging $$ for a bunch of "micro transactions"

Everything that Table Top Role Play gaming is NOT. Players play for the imagination, cooperation, and the fun of working through the story. Not for how cool their video avatar looks.

Leaks say that 40,000+ people canceled subscriptions to the current basic VTT and rules library that WotC has.

DnD's nearest competitor, Pathfinder (owned by Paizo) sold out of 8 months of their core rulebook, in two weeks. (I purchased one).

WotC tried a lame apology, and "we will listen" approach. That sank like the Titanic.

A week went by, and they closed the survey a week early. Here is what they shared from that survey:

• -62% are satisfied with adding the SRD to Creative Commons & those dissatisfied want more in CC
  • -89% are dissatisfied with deauthorizing OGL 1.0a
  • -88% do not want to publish content under OGL 1.2
And there was much rejoicing across Nerdom... One of the rare times that the consumer was able to directly affect a corporate provider of goods and services to do a full 180.

It doesn't sound like a big win. But it was. I suspect that a Senior VP in charge of the new online VTT micro-transaction program is boxing his stuff, and dusting off his resume. If not, then the CEO and Pres of WotC will be. Right now, the Nerd side of Hasbro is the only side that's profitable. And it's carrying the board game and toy side of the parent company.

The company that operates one of the wargaming games I play tried something that amounted to something like a cash grab, similar in spirit to what the DnD people tried. It also was as popular as a turd in a punchbowl. 3/4 of their community promoters quit, and the players stopped playing. Those of us that kept playing, used only the free in-game resources. The company also tried the same "we will listen" spiel, with the same results. Their revenue dropped like a stone, and they relented after a few weeks--basically until the next update was released.

Morning all,

Headed in to do the server updates I was going to do 2 weeks ago. While the published goal is to have all systems back online by Wednesday, we're going back live Monday...Once again I'll exceed the expectation. And that's how you look like a miracle worker!!!

BBL

View attachment 160830

View attachment 160831

They were going to reverse the under monetization by creating a monopoly on the VTT, then charge $$ for a bunch of "micro transactions"

• 62% are satisfied with adding the SRD to Creative Commons & those dissatisfied want more in CC
  • 89% are dissatisfied with deauthorizing OGL 1.0a
  • 88% do not want to publish content under OGL 1.2

Thank you. Very understandable and a big win for the community.

Good morning from So. Central Wisconsin. We are on the cusp of a ā€ big snow eventā€. The weather guy this morning on TV says a ā€weather eventā€ is announced when a bigger than normal either rain or snow fall is predicted. 6ā€ or more of snowfall in our area he said had always been considered an ā€œeventā€. Events though until recent ā€œmedia timesā€œ (yep his words) were always used in the back stage areas of the weather department, not live on TV or Radio. He said some writer on a National weather channel used it a few times and a newbie Weather reader read it. Others started using it. Now anything over 3ā€ seems to be named an ā€œeventā€ for snow. He then went into explaining models of forecasts, lines on the map, air flow and said, ā€œit really depends where you are atā€. So, for day 4 in a row, I will be mostly in the house. Not always though in the train room, hey I do have a real life! The prediction from 6AM today till noon Sunday is 7-12ā€œ of heavy wet snow. Of course dependingā€¦

We ended up joining the kids for dinner last night. Got a text at 4:45PM asking if we wanted to join them for dinner at one of the local watering holes for 5:30. Turns out the daughter must have a listening device here. Terry no more then 30 minutes before asked me if we should ask them to join us as it has been awhile? 1- I explained, I have had dinner with them, u have been gone, 2- no we are not calling them 3. let them ask us. Then the texts started, good time.

For the 3rd day in a row the brother called. I answered hello and no I have not decided when I am coming out there. Not why he called. He just finished his physical and he qualifies for a weight loss shot. I explained to him the Medical Association says there are no shots for weigh loss. The shots are for controlling diabetes not for over weight 1%ers who pay off their doctors for prescriptions. ā€œTell me how you really feelā€ was his response. His doctor on Maui ( they r rare and mostly Concierge type) meaning they come to you. He has prescribed Ozempic for him. Said he will lose 30#ā€™s in 5-6 months with no additional exercise then he does now. I said fine what you are doing is taking drugs from needy diabetics that are in short supply anyway because as a 1%er you are entitled, your doctor should have his license revoked. Pissed me off he did. Said heā€™s paying out of pocket for it. I said well $998 a month is peanuts to you, lots of diabetics who need it without insurance cannot afford it. He asked how do I know itā€™s $998 per month. He is going to pay $2100 per month. Terry told him itā€™s on the Insurance formulary every month, Tom takes it. He asks why I am on it. My response because I am a diabetic, remember. We then talked other things. 10 hours later and I am still steamed. Our medical system is a real cluster..k.

Waiting for the snow in Cheeseland
enjoy the day

2BB6CA58-B5A6-4F51-BF79-06B0DF56F14B.jpeg
44AC3DB2-5AAB-463E-A68B-88B8667A6D7D.jpeg

384EDDC7-F985-4408-83B1-C8FA4C6C7B8D.jpeg

Last edited:
Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and starting off at 50Ā°. Things go downhill starting tomorrow around this time. There's still some kind of precipitation in the forecast starting Monday, ice on some days although not as dire as the long range forecast from yesterday. I'll bring extra wood to the covered front porch to keep it dry anyway.

I kept busy yesterday with home chores before my wife returned. I ran the Roomba vacuum, did a load of laundry, washed and put up the dishes and emptied ashes from the wood burning heater. My daughter brought her home and my grandson came along for the ride. He bought his latest high tech "toy" with him, a nice drone. I had seen it operate briefly at his home on Christmas Day, but here he could really let it loose. It's pretty neat. The camera not only records on a SD card, and broadcasts to the screen on the controller; but it also can send the video to his phone for viewing. His has a range of 6 miles and a battery life of 25 minutes, but he couldn't answer whether it could go 6 miles and return on one battery charge?

Out in the train shed, I resumed the task of removing, cleaning and re-positioning structures. These structures are all along the front of the layout between the fascia and the tracks. The road is imaginary and off the layout to save on the need to have vehicles.
First up is Casa Montez, a Mexican food place. I believe that this kit was from Heljan many years ago.
IMG_2876.JPG

Across the street is Kevin's Toys, a kit from Smalltown USA.
IMG_2877.JPG

Next up is Adella's Restaurant, I think that this is a DPM kit.
IMG_2879.JPG

Across the outdoor eating area is another restaurant, as yet unnamed and no detailing, it is also from Smalltown USA.
IMG_2880.JPG

We move on to the local liquor store, Benson's Beer & Liquor. This one is made from DPM modular walls and signs from my sign box.
IMG_2881.JPG

The next business is simply known as Town Bank. This is also from Smalltown USA. They had previously issued this kit as Tina's Tart Shop.
IMG_2882.JPG

Continuing on is another DPM structure that I simply call Drugs. At some point I will get a more proper sign/name.
IMG_2883.JPG

In addition to cleaning structures, I started to get serious about imagineering the Ethanol plant's main structure. I purchased a couple of Pikestuff kits last Saturday to use their modular walls.

Karl - In Texas, pick up trucks with only two doors are pretty much considered as cars by most folks, unless they are duelies [sp?] 4x4's or you need a ladder to get into. A few years ago, my brother was in New York state and got a warning for driving his prohibited "truck" on a parkway.
Troy - You're definitely over my head lately. o_O First it was the Facebook stuff; as a non-user I have no clue. Then the D&D stuff, which is also meaningless, as I have never played! :rolleyes:
Tom O - In 43 years, I never bought a single document home from work and filed it, except paychecks before the days of electronic deposits! And those weren't really filed. I'm sure the shredder has been working overtime in a few other homes lately.
Louis - Speaking of watching the news, I see that Marilyn Mosby is in quite a predicament with all of her lawyers wanting to quit.
James - May be a little late, but have a safe trip this morning.
Chad - The pictures of your home build are interesting. They don't build them like that down here. Heck, most homes don't even have basements in Texas.

Today is National Lego Day. That is the bane of every parent walking in the dim light in their homes at night.
Everybody have a great day, and I wish I was with James at the Big E.

EDIT: Fixed the strike thru!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back