Running Bear's January 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Happy Members !
As usual, I drew a new track plan using Peco (track and turnouts) and one Atlas #176 90° crossing.
Dimensions are: 67"x 67". I seriously hope that the Atlas crossing works very well with the Peco track.
All your comments, advices and criticisms will be greatly appreciated. You can also 🤣🤣🤣 if you want !

View attachment 160956
Interesting track plan, don't know if that will work, someone with more knowledge will be able to say, I hope it does tho' :)

Hello Happy Members !
As usual, I drew a new track plan using Peco (track and turnouts) and one Atlas #176 90° crossing.
Dimensions are: 67"x 67". I seriously hope that the Atlas crossing works very well with the Peco track.
All your comments, advices and criticisms will be greatly appreciated. You can also 🤣🤣🤣 if you want !

View attachment 160956
These crossings are not seen so much so a nice add, but you need to add an outer second track as pairs look better as they drive from opposite directions. This would look nice, not mine photographed at a show.
CB9E8535-75AE-4AF2-82B3-804070067FBA.jpeg

Co’ Co’. means dual 3 wheel per side trucks (6 wheel) — all driven. Bo’ Bo’ are dual 2 wheel per side (4 wheel) trucks — all driven. I don’t remember what the classification system is that uses that nomenclature. But written that way is the European way. Co-Co or C-C are other ways.

To take it a little further - Co Co - Two trucks, 3 Axel's each with the small o meaning each is individually driven by separate traction motors. And if there is a numeral in front of the C : Number of axel's driven ( 2Co Co ) would be 3 axel's on front with ONE not driven - from UIC classifications. Note that if anybody does not know - Whyte is used for steam. Of course there are wiki's for both.

Later

I am just in from 1hour 40 minutes of a snow globe blowing Winter Wonderland of hell. They (weather guessers) finally this season got one right. I am not sure of official totals but my total since 12:01AM Saturday till 6AM today is 11”. All powdery dry snow that just blows all over. Thankfully the only wind today was from the snowblower. But, it left the chute and just danced in the air. Often back in my face. 3 driveways done and 7 sidewalks. One of the neighbors did my full driveway and sidewalks yesterday and I didn’t know who. Because it was powder this morning I kept going beyond my property.

I will check the football game schedules for today and decide if I watch or not.

Enjoy the day
BC2FD437-B854-446C-BF99-1A554C5FF0F3.jpeg

Well - doggies! 49f degrees and only getting to 53 for a high today.
We are expecting the possibility of scattered showers.

I have to spend this morning moving some furniture from the ranch - looks as if the sale will go through.
I will quit in time to watch the playoff games - I hope?

Later, gang!

Co’ Co’. means dual 3 wheel per side trucks (6 wheel) — all driven. Bo’ Bo’ are dual 2 wheel per side (4 wheel) trucks — all driven. I don’t remember what the classification system is that uses that nomenclature. But written that way is the European way. Co-Co or C-C are other ways.

The classification Co-Co or Bo-Bo are commonly used in countries outside of North America. Here the classifications are BB, CC or DD, or more commonly 4 axle, 6 axle, or 8 axle. meaning 4 axles and motors, or 6 axles and motors, or 8 axles and motors. Other six axle trucks such as first generation passenger units, and certain low axle loading road switchers that only had four motors, and an idler axle were designated as A-1-A.

Thank you for the prayers, kind thoughts and good wishes concerning my upcoming surgery. Naturally, I'm a little worried, but it is now a common procedure, and the hospital has a dedicated unit that only performs this procedure. If all goes well, I should, upon recovery, have more energy.
Much better alternative to open heart surgery too.

USATC S160 on duty as the Polar Express at Churnet Valley Railway UK.

View attachment 160969
We had these under steam at Fort Eustis, VA, while I was there from 1969 - 1972. AAR couplers and safety appliances. There is one remaining, at the Transportation Museum, near the Main gate.

07_01_2006 JSW Photo.JPG

Speaking of Ft. Eustis, I took this photo of the NS Savannah, on 07/01/2006, while it was tied up on the James River, but separated from the Reserve Fleet. At the time of the photo, the reactor was still "hot". Since then the Nuclear core has been removed and remediated, and the ship moved to Baltimore, where it was tied up in Canton, behind the old Central Soya Elevator.

Good afternoon gang!

Where do I start? I got back home late last night like 10:30 pm needless to say I had a full day that started at 4:00 am. I slept like a bear in full hibernation. As soon as my head hit the pillow I was out!

My day was a fabulous one. I picked up Andy at 6:15 am on the way to West Springfield, Mass. We zipped there and got in the parking lot by 8:00am. It turned out that a lot of other people were on the same wave length of getting there early. By the time I parked the truck the parking lot was 1/2 full. Thousands of cars it was unreal. We had our game plan in place and stood in line at the many entrances of the 5 buildings. Lines were long even though we were there early. Doors opened precisely at 9am. I did my 1st sweep on HO scale tables in 2 hours. I picked off a few items that stood out right away. One item on my list was PanAm cars. I found 3 different road numbers and got all 3 but like an IDIOT that I can be at times I should have bought all of the ones he had because they are so hard to find. I could of bought all 8 cars from him at a discounted rate. It was really stupid of me not to do that. I could have patched them for myself and weathered them or even re-sold them. I do not know what I was thinking. Live and learn. I hate it when I do something and and then rethink it over and have the light bulb come on in a delayed fashion! I am usually more savy than that. I guess I was in an overload frame of mind sigh. Next time!

So we took a break after 3 hours and went back to my truck to drop off all the stuff we got on our first sweep. We definitely got a lot of stuff. We had our packed lunches that we brought with us. Andy was very grateful that I gave him this tip on making his own lunch to bring. He about fell over on the food concession prices that were there. I told him the amount of money spent on food there you could get a couple box cars for sure lol. So after about a 30 minute to 45 minute break we went back to doing our 2nd sweep and this time we split up as we both had our agendas. We met up later after getting what we wanted. I checked off about 7 items off my list. I did not find any locomotives I was searching for on my list BUT I did find one Scale Trains Museum Quality "Big Blow" new in the box...in this case in a brief case by Scale Train very nice. I did not purchase it and well I regret not getting it now. They had 2 and I realized it was a good and yet fair price brand new in the box. It was in Spring Creek Hobbies booth. They had it listed for 600 bucks. I could of gotten it for 550. Another mistake? I dunno.

I moved on to finding my cement structure by Walthers and I compared prices in 3 different booths. I paid 40 bucks and was happy with that. I found some nice trucks and one construction high rail CAT equipment. A few more 2 bay covered hoppers and box cars. 2 caboose in WP,

I will post a thread for the loot I got from the show.

Now here is why I got home late. We met up with a few RR short line owners that we met at the show and knew who they were as they are from my local area and Andy works for one of them. Well it turned out one of the owners that owns 2 working RS36s ALCOS for the shortline that Andy works for, invited us to an undisclosed location that was about 15 minutes from the show. He owns a "facility" that houses 4 RS1 Alcos and a few other equipment. I was given a tour. Then we went to another location where he bought a D&H original hopper that was sent to the scrap yard but never got scrapped he bought it for 1 dollar! He is going to restore for static display only and it be will taken to Salem NY and set on a piece of property he owns over there. I did take pictures of the hopper with his permission. Out of respect to the owner I did not take pictures of the RS1s or that property. He said I could but I wanted him to know my character that I respected him and his privacy. I appreciated the invitation and opportunity he gave me to see all of this. He was grateful and appreciated my thoughtfulness. Unfortunately the area at times get some vandals so I knew not to take pictures. I just wanted to earn his respect and hope to get future invitations and visits etc. I think it was a well played card if ya know what I mean. I will post the hopper pictures on a new thread for ya'll to see it was really cool in my opinion.

I will upload pictures in a bit and will follow up with links on this post by editing this post in a short bit. All in all I had a great day and I was happy with my purchases. I will say I kinda wish I took a hotel and went back the next day as in today. This weekend event was outstanding. Every vendor came and it was busting at the seams. I also regret not taking many pictures of the operating layouts that were there. I was just focused mostly trying to items on my list. Plus I had Andy along with me as a guest so I wanted to make sure he was good as it was his first time attending this show and a show of this magnitude. He was blown away and was grateful for the invitation etc but it worked out well as I would not of had the opportunity to go see those RS1s. They were beautiful to see and all operational.

As for today....rest and relaxation. I may watch both games today.

EDIT FOR LINKS:

Last edited:
Good afternoon gang!

Thank you all that commented on the occasion of me completing another trip around the sun. May we all be so fortunate! After lunch at Outback, we went and saw the movie "A man call Otto". Good movie, a good story, some humor and also (warning) a little bit of a tear jerker. Then coffee and pie at Bob Evans.

Today my DCC guru was here to evaluate track plans and he kinda upset the apple cart. Not so much DCC wise of even track wise, but where I was planning yards and industries for operation. he made some very valid points to consider. We also came up with ideas to improve staging. Lots to think and rethink about.

Boris, let me chime in with the gang with good wishes and prayers on your surgery.

cr2000.JPG

Harrisburg, summer of 1999. The world was afraid of Y2k and no wonder. Engine #2000 was a bit of a fright!

L8ter!

Good afternoon.
It's clear and 83.
As most of y'all know, I have a low tolerance for BS, and have gotten fed up with a couple of the providers of videos on the web. I have no objection to people or companies making a buck. However--
I am a very light sleeper, and where I live has a lot of traffic noise. I go to u-tube and find "white noise" videos, that will run for about 8-10 hours, to "drown out" the sound of cars and trucks. I have a TV that has internet access in my bedroom, and use that to run the white noise shows.
Youtube, in its quest for $$$, hs decided to enact a break in those programs every 20-40 minutes or so, to allow for "ads". Played at a much higher volume than the "show" I'm trying to sleep to. Which of course results in me waking up. And taking nearly 30 minutes to go back to sleep.
I'm sure you know where this is going...
For what are probably obvious reasons, Youtube doesn't like people blocking their ads, and are on a crusade to force everybody to watch as many as possible. Even when the video's objective is to simply provide white noise to help us sleep. We can't be having that! Wake up and watch the ads, you slacker!
Available ad blockers don't seem to work on smart tv's.
So, I had to buy a friggin' computer, so I could use standard ad-blocking software to be able to get benefit of those white noise videos without getting jarred out of sleep.
The computer is now hooked up to the smart tv.
After buying this thing, (admittedly a cheap desktop), I realized I could have gotten an HDMI powered compute stick to do the same thing.
Sigh...

In a sequel to my previous post, the NS Savannah, is still in Baltimore, at Pier #13, at the foot of South Newkirk Street, in Canton. It has been repainted, and is open for tours. There is also an old WW2 Liberty ship tied up at an adjacent mooring.

With 6:39 remaining in the second the Eagles and 49ers are tied 7 - 7.

At 4: 15 PM, it's 51° and cloudy with light rain in South Monmouth County.

Sherrel:
Great Frisco in the snow photo.

In a sequel to my previous post, the NS Savannah, is still in Baltimore, at Pier #13, at the foot of South Newkirk Street, in Canton. It has been repainted, and is open for tours. There is also an old WW2 Liberty ship tied up at an adjacent mooring.

With 6:39 remaining in the second the Eagles and 49ers are tied 7 - 7.

At 4: 15 PM, it's 51° and cloudy with light rain in South Monmouth County.

Sherrel: Great Frisco in the snow photo.
NOT tied anymore!

Thanks, Joe!

We had these under steam at Fort Eustis, VA, while I was there from 1969 - 1972. AAR couplers and safety appliances. There is one remaining, at the Transportation Museum, near the Main gate.

View attachment 160987
Speaking of Ft. Eustis, I took this photo of the NS Savannah, on 07/01/2006, while it was tied up on the James River, but separated from the Reserve Fleet. At the time of the photo, the reactor was still "hot". Since then the Nuclear core has been removed and remediated, and the ship moved to Baltimore, where it was tied up in Canton, behind the old Central Soya Elevator.
The last time I saw the NS Savannah was 1969 at Todd's shipyard. I was a heavy equipment operator. You needed clearance to get on the dock Savannah was tied up at. You also had to wear a docimeter once you cleared the gate. I always thought she was such a graceful looking ship for a freighter.

The last time I saw the NS Savannah was 1969 at Todd's shipyard. I was a heavy equipment operator. You needed clearance to get on the dock Savannah was tied up at. You also had to wear a docimeter once you cleared the gate. I always thought she was such a graceful looking ship for a freighter.
In 2006, I was at Ft. Eustis, because after his graduation from BCT, my son was assigned to Ft. Eustis for AIT. I volunteered to drive him from Ft. Jackson, because I did my AIT at Eustis and was based there for a while afterward. He was there for training on the AH-64 platform, while I was assigned to a Railway Operating Bn. After he was dropped off, I took the wife on a tour, and drove to see the Reserve Fleet, on the James River.
It was totally changed from the WW2 era ships that were stored there in 1969/1970, and held some "modern" hulls, including a Pueblo type Electronic surveillance ship and several former Moore - McCormick Lines freighters, that I watched being constructed, during the early 1960s.
When I spotted the Savannah tied up separately, on the other side of the anchorage, I used the long distance lense to capture several photos.

James River Reserve Fleet - 2 - 07_01_2006 - JSW photo.JPG
Line of 60s era cargo ships still owned by the Maritime Commission.
James River Reserve Fleet - 07_01_2006 - JSW photo.JPG

Line of Navy Auxiliaries with domes covering electronics and weapons systems. Larger WW2 era "Troop Transports" in background.

In 2006, I was at Ft. Eustis, because after his graduation from BCT, my son was assigned to Ft. Eustis for AIT. I volunteered to drive him from Ft. Jackson, because I did my AIT at Eustis and was based there for a while afterward. He was there for training on the AH-64 platform, while I was assigned to a Railway Operating Bn. After he was dropped off, I took the wife on a tour, and drove to see the Reserve Fleet, on the James River.
It was totally changed from the WW2 era ships that were stored there in 1969/1970, and held some "modern" hulls, including a Pueblo type Electronic surveillance ship and several former Moore - McCormick Lines freighters, that I watched being constructed, during the early 1960s.
When I spotted the Savannah tied up separately, on the other side of the anchorage, I used the long distance lense to capture several photos.

View attachment 161056Line of 60s era cargo ships still owned by the Maritime Commission.
View attachment 161057
Line of Navy Auxiliaries with domes covering electronics and weapons systems. Larger WW2 era "Troop Transports" in background.
I remember seeing the reserve fleet on the Hudson River near West Point. I was a kid when I saw them on a Sunday drive with my family. I passed another on the Sabine River, border between TX and LA. on several occasions, when the buoy tender, I was stationed on inspected or replaced buoys on the river. I've been told, though I never confirmed, that the ships in these reserve fleets are sealed and a nitrogen purrge is installed to limit internal rust formation. Also, that it takes about 6 months to a year to get one out of mothballs and into service.

Hughie: It takes six months or more, to prepare a ship for the reserve fleet,and at least as long to ready it for service. They are overhauled before the deactivation process takes place. Not for nothing, when I first saw the ships in 1969, there were many more than in 2006. Inthe morning fog on a cloudy day, they did look spooky, which is why it is referred to as the Ghost Fleet.

One afternoon, in 1985, while I wasworking as Lead Trainmaster, in Baltimore (Conrail), I was down in Canton, over seeing the makeup of an empty grain hopper train. I observed a former Grace Line passenger liner (Santa Rosa, maybe?), tied up at the pier and since no one was around I climbed up on the main deck to look around. It was spooky, as there was no sound, except the groan of the lines responding to the current. Did not stay long to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back