Running Bear's February 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning gang!
53° and cloudy, going up to 58° this afternoon. Really unusual for us on the right coast in early February, but hey, we'll take it!
Blew a big hole in the trucks muffler on the way to w*rk yesterday, sounds like a hot rod! Going to order a new dual exhaust kit today. Just last week the resonator on the Impala developed a minor split. This car stuff is exhausting!;)
20150411_224116.jpg

No thanks, no coal for me, just water please!

Good Morning All. Two hours ago it was 61° with rain, now it is 45° and still raining lightly with 15 mph winds out of the north. Still predicting snow tomorrow, actually just past midnight tonight, with 3"-6" accumulations. That coming after three 70°+ days. The rain gauge has .5" since sunset yesterday. The cat is not happy.
Ahead of the anticipated rain, I did some planting in the garden yesterday. Just a few early spring greens like lettuce, spinach and arugula. No it isn't too early here. Any snow will insulate the ground and slowly irrigate it when it melts. I am actually a bit later this year than normal.

A couple of eggs over easy and some of that Taylor Ham this morning Flo. Good to see that you stock it year-round now.

Thanks for the comments and likes yesterday regarding the motive power; Joe, Phil, Patrick, James, Dave, Justin, Sherrel, Chet, Jerome, Karl, Garry, Jim, Curt, Bob, Bill, Tom, Ken.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I continued with ground foam and fine ballast in the parking areas of the feed mill/grain elevator.
02-04-20 001.001.JPG

02-04-20 002.JPG

Still need to ballast a few more switches in the upper right corner. You can see the beginnings of the materials storage yard here. And a closeup of the converted boxcar, not quite done yet.
02-04-20 004.JPG

Over the next few days, I'll be moving over to the left and adding scenery around the Majestic Hardware store.
02-04-20 003.JPG

Now I need to remember the mix of fine ballast that I used on this base.

Alan - Hope to watch your video today while conditions outside are yucky.
Patrick - Continued best wishes on your recovery.
Tom - Good luck with the taxes. It's too soon to hear of the tax preparer horror stories from my wife yet. Since she missed January, she missed all of the welfare cheaters and EIC frauds. These are generally the folks who will pay H&R Block and a local bank $300 to get a rapid refund that will be used to get a family member out of jail. Well actually you and I are paying that fee since they game the system to pay no taxes.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning everyone. 38 and rainy. Snow starts tonight and really picks up tomorrow. Predicting 3-5 inches here - - that will be the biggest snowfall this winter.

Mornin', Flo - I'll have oatmeal with raisins and prunes, orange juice, and an English muffin - oh, yeah, and a big cup of coffee.

Thanks for the likes and comments on my post yesterday: Tom, BurlingtonBob, Jim, Karl, Sherrel, Patrick, Flip, Boris, and anyone I may have missed.
Willie - You going to post a photo of you with your trimmed beard?!\
Garry - Nice photos of the Super Bowl teams' namesake engines.
Beadie - Your photo of the riders on the train (India?) reminded me of a time I visited Haiti on R&R while in the US Navy - the people would ride the "Top-Tops" (buses) that way.
Willie - Nice photos of progress on that feed mill and grain elevator area of your layout. Nice ballasting. I still stink at ballasting - sometimes I think I've got a handle on it and then I mess up bigtime.

Here's a photo I took last night of the lumber mill area - still have more work to do to make it look more like a working mill.

LumberMill1.jpg

Have a good day everyone.

God morning. Winter is apparently here (finally??) 3 degrees with an expected high in the mid 20's. The 60 degree temps could have stuck around a few more days. Have a winter weather advisory out for Wednesday. On Sunday I got the driveway opened enough for the wife to get out to work, but I apparently had a Polish moment and had no gas on hand. Got some gas yesterday and plowed the rest of the driveway to get the circle open. Later today I'll have to get out wit the snow blower and clear the edges as there was so much snow, (we got 12 to 14 inches) that it was coming over the top of the plow. A heavy wet snow which we don't get often this time of the year.

thumbnail_20200203_151050.jpg

Alan
- Sounds like quite the project yo have there. It is a real pain not being able to fine whet you need. Went through that with my North Coast Limited. Not 100% correct, but I doubt that many people would know the difference besides me. Interesting video.

Beady
- You beat me on the porcelain god. Interesting photos. Don't know haw the engineer can see any signals with all of the people hanging off the train.

Sherrel - Nice photo of the gas electric and Chessie units. .

Willie
- Sure do like the looks of those scale trains locomotives.

Joe
- Nice photo. Nice to see yo posting photos. Like the UP passenger train.

Justin - Good photo of the engine facilities.

Garry
- Can't say enough about your city scenes and passenger terminal.

Karl - Like that WM steamer.

Johnny - Good photo.

Into the archives for a few club photos.

thumbnail_20191005_202655.jpg

thumbnail_20190613_142920.jpg

thumbnail_20190620_133909.jpg

thumbnail_20190613_150225.jpg

Later

Good Morning Everyone....overcast again here in Wisconsin.

Yesterday was a complete bust since I checked the wife's health insurance coverage and it was a compete mess in coverage. We needed to spend the day shopping for new insurance coverage for her. And today...I need to go to the hospital for a blood test and then lunch and maybe trains later this ternoon?

I sure like the recent release of the Canadian National GP in its green and gold color scheme.

Chet: Do you leave your rolling stock and locomotives at the club in between visits? That's a nice long freight being hauled by the F7's.

Spell check isn't working properly again on the PC. It changes words and miss spells others.

That's all for now.

Greg

#############

Morning all,

Coffee this morning Flo...Thank you.

We'll I broke down and went to the GP yesterday as the shoulder is getting worse. He gave me several stretches and a muscle relaxer. I can say, while feeling not quite myself (think a little out of body) , I don't have a lot going on with the shoulder at this moment. Yeah!!! The GP said that I had the shoulder getting too tight and between the stretches and muscle relaxer I should be good shortly. I did get to remove the wrap on my other hand and that is doing well at this point. Now maybe a couple of days and I can get back to the trains!!

Why is it that all the people my age look old?????

"...And a closeup of the converted boxcar, not quite done yet. ..."

I worked in a yard in Philadelphia PA. We had a boxcar on a short siding serving as a material storage area, valves, gaskets, electrical parts, etc.
Removing the trucks was not worth the time and effort, couplers remained attached. The large door was slid open and blocked. 2x4 and plywood covered the doorway and a personnel door was put in the plywood.

A buddy of mine 'bumped' into it with a GP:oops:

I lucked out with the driveway. Apparently things are slow where my son works and he came over with his companys plow truck and widened the driveway. Saves me an hour or so out in the cold.
thumbnail_20200204_104928.jpg Need room to put the snow in the forecast expected Wednesday evening. 6 to 12 inches. Got so much the last time it was coming over the top of my little plow.

Greg - When I get back to running at the club in the spring, I do leave my locomotives and rolling stock at the club.

Patrick - Looking forward to see what you come up with with the printer.

Time for lunch. Later

Sort of a slow day around here this morning. Took the newused truck back to the mechanic and asked him how long was my warranty good for that it didn't work right. It had a "miss" at around 2500 RPM and threw a code of P0306.
My BIL has one of those code readers.
Willie, Chet, Karl, Johnny, Justin, Beady, Jim, Mikey, etc. -- All great photos and modeling.
I'm just going to leave this here?
E8A-2021-Gallahadion-on-the-Firefly-at-Paola-Kansas-date-unknown-Richard-Neumiller-Blackhawk-Film
E8A-2021-Gallahadion-on-the-Firefly-at-Paola-Kansas-date-unknown-Richard-Neumiller-Blackhawk-F...jpg

Crazy weather. YEsterday, starting a little after midnight Sunday night it snowed. Most of the snow was before the AM commute and all the schools were closed, but it continued throughout the day. Then it cleared up and the temperature went down.

This morning when I woke up at 5:30 am it was 14F and it dipped down to 12F a bit later before recovering to 14F around 8am--9am. Now at noon it is 21F and Sunny. Supposed to be a bit warmer this week-- 28F high tomorrow (up from today's expected 25F) and then Thursday and Friday and Saturday about 41F--42F highs, but more snow and or frozen or not frozen precipitation expected Thursday and Friday. Cooler next week in the low 30s.

As a comparison it was 55F this past Sunday and had been high 40s or mid 40s for a while.

IMG_3025.jpg

Last edited:
Sort of a slow day around here this morning. Took the newused truck back to the mechanic and asked him how long was my warranty good for that it didn't work right. It had a "miss" at around 2500 RPM and threw a code of P0306.
My BIL has one of those code readers.
Willie, Chet, Karl, Johnny, Justin, Beady, Jim, Mikey, etc. -- All great photos and modeling.
I'm just going to leave this here?
E8A-2021-Gallahadion-on-the-Firefly-at-Paola-Kansas-date-unknown-Richard-Neumiller-Blackhawk-Film
View attachment 43859
I think that code is a cylinder 6 misfire code.

Willie- The converted box car is great., It looks like it took longer to weather it than to build it. I am enjoying all your pictures.
Chet- I like the amount of activity indicated with your vehicles and posed people in the layout pictures.

The dresser renovation is going well. I sandpapered the cabinet for about 30 minutes today to meet the wife's approval and she sanded on the 5 drawer faces while I started the first coat of a golden pecan stain. I ate lunch and will shortly put on a second coat of stain on everything to tone down the remaining white paint.
IRRELEVANT TRIVIA- The first product Motorola started to develop was a record player for automobiles. At that time the most known player on the market was Victrola, so they called themselves "Motorola".

Afternoon All,

I'm beat today. I cleaned out a upstairs closet and the downstairs bedroom that the grandkids use (what a damn mess). Everything is out except the furniture which will be at the last minute because it's going to the dining room. I also changed 3 light switches, a electrical outlet and a GFI plug.

Karl- Nice layout shot.

Beady- Interesting photos.

Willie- Nice layout shots.

Johnny- Nice looking scene.

Chet- Nice club photos. Didn't you say before that the stone arch is to scale for the real one.

I hope everyone has a good night.

I'm glad a lot of you enjoyed the old pic of the "little engine that could" shoving the beet cars up the high line. I read that after the SMVRR bought their first GE 70 tonner, they could push a few more cars up the ramp. Our little short line was very busy until the early 70s, then the produce and most of the oil stopped, and eventually in 93 the sugar mill closed down. Union Sugar was 80% of the SMVRR revenue and now the railroad is "circling the drain" with just a few customers left. They still have 2 70 tonners and a GP9. My original plan was to make the sugar mill the main focus of my layout with 4 tracks into the facility, but I may not have the room to make more than a simple representation of it. Is it normal to think one doesnt have enough room in this hobby?? ;)

Truckdad- Have you thought of using "forced perspective" with the sugar mill by building it in Z scale?
Just don't put it in the foreground.

As I finished putting a second stain coat on the dresser, it started to rain. Due to the humidity, I'll have to check if the stain is completely dry in the morning.

I have two options for tonight, watch the State of the Union Address or start getting my income tax information together.
Right, gather tax information!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back