Running Bear's February 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning - It's 52 and dark!

EMC-Pullman, 1928, Builder's No #279-6145, Winton 120 275-hp engine with GE electrical equipment, 27 passengers. Reengined with a 275-hp Catepillar 375 diesel engine, and scrapped in August 1961. Source: Doodlebug Country by Edmund Keilty.
1580732872959.png

Good Morning All. Looks like 54° and partly cloudy to get the day started here. Temperature made it up to 79° here yesterday, a bit cooler today at 72°. Cooler tomorrow and then a major cold front Tuesday night bringing snow on Wednesday. It seems that everyone is getting the roller coaster weather effect this winter.
Busy day yesterday for me. I spent a lot of time in the kitchen after church preparing various party dishes. Buffalo wings, crab-stuffed mushrooms in vodka sauce, shrimp cocktail with homemade dipping sauce and some zesty homemade pimento cheese spread. In between, I cleaned the ashes out of the wood burning heater and spread them out in the garden. And I also took some time out to trim my beard, a stressful event to say the least.

I'll have a couple of those sausage, egg and cheese biscuits this morning Flo. I'll pass on the leftover wings from yesterday.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments for the posts yesterday; Joe, Bob, Jim, Garry, Sherrel, Phil, Justin, Jerome, Chet, Karl, Curt, Chad, Tom.

Limited time in the train shed yesterday due to the rest of life. I did start adding ground form to that 6' x 2' section of blank plywood that I am working on. I also weathered the derelict boxcar that I am going to use as a materials/tools storage shed in the materials yard going into this scene. No progress pictures yet, so I'll dig through the archives for these.
ScaleTrains SD40-2's lined up for pictures.
01-30-15 012.JPG

A couple of close-ups.
01-30-15 014.001.JPG

01-30-15 013.001.JPG

Bob - A belated Happy Anniversary from me. 45 years is pretty good. We're going to celebrate 48 in a few months.
Garry - I could read the "Heel Towing" on the one truck, but couldn't read the other one. Another of your clever business names.
Phil - Get well soon.
Jim - Those were a couple of nice pictures yesterday.
Sherrel - Those CF7's are still needed here as they are the primary power used for switching maneuvers, SD's are for pulling tonnage. They were pretty massive for their day.
Greg - Thankfully we are not in the range of groundhogs here. Mainly north and east of our area. It may have something to do with coyotes that really like them.
Jim/Greg and others - If you intend to get a ScaleTrains engine(s), get them on pre-order. They sell out fast. No money needed until they deliver them.
Terry -
Operator detail kits come with grab irons and coupler cut levers.
Thanks for that info, that's what I thought but I have never purchased one.

Today is the 61st anniversary of "The Day the Music Died". On this day in 1959, a plane crash killed Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper. Ironically, Waylon Jennings, who was part of Holly's band, gave up his seat on the plane to the Big Bopper. Some of us might remember that event.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning everyone. 57 and clear here. Hit 71 at our house yesterday. My wife and I spent some time outdoors with NO COATS - did some pre-spring raking and other clean up. Snow flurries predicted for tomorrow night. ROLLER COASTER!!

I'll just have coffee and a chocolate croissant, please, Flo. Make that 2 chocolate croissants!

Congratulations to the Kansas City Chiefs.

IB Ken, Jim, Tom, Chessie, Chadbag, Beady, Cheet, sherrel, flip, Mikey, Boris, Curt, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments on the "Hi Beady" Puzzle photo last Friday. Haven't been on the forum this weekend.
Willie - great vacant lot photos.

Nothing much to report from the train room. Had the kids and grandkids over for dinner Saturday and as always ran trains for them to watch for a while. Was running the "coal train" and had a slight derailment of the last three cars, right at the edge of the layout - I use loose coal, and two of the carloads went on the floor - the other one stopped at the edge of the wood substrata.

Have a good day everyone.

Morning all,

Back to work this morning. So far the hand is doing well.

Coffee and Blue plate this morning, Thanks Francine.

Took the grandson to what is usually the largest train show in Wichita. Bit of a disappointment this year. About 20% of the tables were vacant, which isn't a good sign when you're there on the afternoon of the first day. I did get him a package of 4 n-scale undecorated rail cars $5 that they seller bought in that condition. They are otherwise complete. I had hoped to swap my 4-8-4 Bachmann UP locomotive, but many dealers were hobbyists trying to clear their own stuff.

After fixing a problem with my son's 3d printer, I have open license to use it. I am going to attempt something "simple" for my first trick:

68foottowere.JPG

Picture by the originator of the file. This tower is several pieces once printed. So we'll see what happens once I get the file sliced for the printer. He even lists the led type you need to snap into the tower to actually light it.

This same guy has a ton of different buildings and such that he has created. Some I have to modify as I don't have a 2-filament printer.

Good Morning y'all! 35° and the sun just burned through the haze. Going up to 57° today :)

02-02-2020 Layout.jpg

This is where the PRR branch line ends, and a shared assets arrangement with the Reading begins. The gondolas are spotted at the Penn Steel Siding, while the two other tracks are the (Compressed) Ford Plant. Mud color has replaced the Pink of the 2" foam. Switches are Micro Engineering Code 70, the Main track a #6 frog, the industrial tracks use the new ME #5 switches. Structures, roads and ground cover are next.

Folks on another forum were remarking how the participants of yesterdays Super Bowl were teams with names similar to passenger trains. The UP/SP "Forty-niner" , and the ATSF "Kansas City Chief" by now we all know the result, it was "Santa Fe, All the Way".

Speaking of Passenger trains,
131_UP_101_Sep1968.jpg

Uncle Pete in 1968, probably the COLA/Challenger/COSF. Certainly not "Pike sized", but impressive.

Have a great day.

Good Morning everyone....partly sunny here in Wisconsin.

Alan:
That's a great video in February's MRH which features your club, the North American Prototype Modelers located in the south side of Milwaukee. A person has to visit the layout to fully appreciate the size and quality of the club's layout. I've been there many times and the River Route with its scenery is spectacular, not to discount the balance of the layout.

I was the operations Manager at Southgate and Mayfair malls when the club first approached me about leasing basement space for the club back in the early 1980's to expand what the club first started in the lower level of the main portion of the former Southgate Mall under the mall's hobby shop. The club needed additional space for the expanding club's layout.

I'm looking forward to my next visit to NAPM and enjoyed watching the video.

Willie: We have a lot of coyotes near the cabin and the wolves like the coyotes for lunch. Seen wolves, but not the coyotes, but just hear them howling at night. Speaking of chicken drummies, we have some left over that were frozen and being advertised as being Apple-wood smoked, hardly. Dried out and no taste at all.

Today's plans on the layout include pouring some EnviroTex water in a swampy area after finishing some other projects.

Nice to see former Green Bay Packer assistant coach Andy Reid win a Super Bowl.

Talk to everyone later....

Greg

######################

wisconsin wolf.jpg
A Wisconsin wolf....we have a growing wolf population while the deer herd is also increasing. Ran out of good train photos.-Greg

Ugh.....monday is here again. Didnt get into my trains this weekend as I had some chores to do around the house. Aside from my post I spent much of my weekend as the handy man. On top of that the misses had to work yesterday so I pulled dad duties. I can only handle one kid at a time around the layout. So I wasnt about to push my luck. Anyways. Only one pic today to share. This is the yard in Grafton, WV
FB_IMG_1580739522949.jpg

Good afternoon.

Sherrel .... Nice doodlebug !

Willie ... Nice looking Santa Fe SD40-2's.

Boris .... Good to see progress on your layout. You commented the Super Bowl teams have names of passenger trains. You can see them at my Union Station with other trains. .

Kansas City Chief

26436977497_1da42342f0_k.jpg

Forty-Niner

35629134934_2f2d0d9717_b.jpg

Last edited:
GREG -- A Bunco friend does a lot of photography and caught this photo yesterday over on the coast. Outside of a few isolated spots - from my observation - a very large portion of the coastline consists of bluffs (as in the photo) and a goodly portion is strewn with rocks (as shown). There is a world of difference between coastlines along the Gulf and Atlantic vs the West Coast.
HA! - - All of which are preferred to feet’s of snow, ice & cold.

Reminds me of some of the beaches along the craggy coast of Maine.

Afternoon All,

Started out driving Mom & Dad to the port (port Canaveral) for their Disney cruise. I pick them up on Friday. After the drop off the wife and I went to Patrick AFB (Cocoa) and went to the exchange and commissary getting home around 4 pm after spending way too much money.

Sherrel- Nice historical photos.

Willie- Nice looking motive power.

Johnny- Problems always seem to occur when guests are present.

Joe- Nice work on the layout, but the Pennsy should never end!:D

Justin- Nice picture.

Dave- Nice historical photo.

Garry- Nice looking trains and scene.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Evening....Just got the coal modules up to snuff with the new club wiring requirements. One end has the switches all wired in and powered, working on the second.
Willie - Nice engines.:)
BTW I got a couple of Scale trains Chessie SD40-2's coming. If they're anything like the first run (that my buddy has) the paint job is absolutely beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back