Running Bear's February 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy everyone!

Thanks to all who liked my stuff :)

Flo - I'll have a bowl of chili and a unsweetened iced tea - bring the hot sauce and a
slice of warm apple pie

It's been a couple of days since my last post. So there's lots of good reading and great photos
to look at - thanks to everyone!

Mikey said: "How do you keep getting into the right location to take all these great pictures?"
Now that I'm retired, I got lots of time. Some places I hike in - sometimes use a very high
ladder and was lowered down from a chopper, a few times. I use satellite imaging to find
interesting locations. :rolleyes:;):p:D LOL

Sherrel - nice EMC-Pullman, switch tower, Chessie's and the E8!

Willie - nice SD's & continued layout work photos!

Johnny - too bad about the derail and the coal loads on the floor. Great lumber co. photo!

Boris - good photos!

Greg - good looking wolf :cool:

Justin - the Grafton yard photo *****'s

Dave - nice vintage SMVRR photo and great story!

Garry - great photos, again! Excellent

Tom said: "BTW I got a couple of Scale trains Chessie SD40-2's coming"
They're stopping at my house, so I can inspect and test run them
for you. Just want to make sure everything is up to snuff. They will then be
forwarded ASAP! ;):p:D

Karl - nice steamer, coal and water towers!

Chet - Great club photos!!! You're doing a good job keeping the snow out there!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Much of yesterday and today was spent at doctor appointments, but I did squeeze in 3 or
4 hours of structure building. Roxy's Diner is almost complete except for a few minor
accessories and touch-ups. The roof will remain removable (as all of my structures) so
I can add interior accessories at a later date. Roxy's is a scratch-build and made from
cardboard of 2 thicknesses. The 2 A/C units and chimney are from wood. The canopy posts
from square toothpicks and the kitchen exhaust fan is wood and a rivet.
Roxy's is a close copy of a local diner, that was built in 1954 and was part of a small truck stop.
I've been eating there all of my life and have many memories there with my Dad and friends,
so it became a significant structure on my layout.
I've also been working on Hagerty's Market, which can be seen in the background of
some of the photos and needs 3 or 4 more days of building. With it's completion, I'm
taking a break from structure building and will make a flat load or two. My SD's need
maintenance, my track and rolling stock wheels need cleaning :(;) and a few other things
I've postponed during construction.

Everyone have a great . . . whatever your doing :)
Jim

3ieDthQ.jpg

MSUICfq.jpg

D1UEA3w.jpg

Last edited:
Jim- I'm glad you took my question about your photo taking with the seriousness in which it was intended. :eek::rolleyes:
I would never guess the A/C unit was wood on Roxy's Cafe. I would rather make a detail than have to go out and find it at a store or order it online.
One good turn, deserves another;) lol
If I would have made it out of styrene, it probably wouldn't need supports, but I would have used them anyway as they look cool ;):cool:

Good morning gang!
40° with temps dropping to the mid 30s with some scattered rains,,,,yuck! Then 3 more days of rain after that. Maybe I will plant rice in the back yard:rolleyes:.
Thanks for the comments on my little WM K2. 3rd cheapest brass engine I ever bought....$150.00. Even had DCC in it when I got it! The next cheapest was a 2-8-4 C&O Kanawha for $125.00 with DCC and sound, for $125.00. But the best was a Max gray Pennsy G5 that I didn't know was in a box lot I won at an auction. I was bidding on 3 Athearn BB GP40s and a Spectrum "russian" decapod. Under all of them was the little G5, box and all. 75 dollar box lot, I sold the Geeps, recouped my money and kept the steamers! There are brass bargains out there if you turn over enough rocks.
Time to go to the salt mines,,,,,catch y'all later!

Morning all,

26* and cloudy in Doo-Dah with some snow flurries predicted. High of 32* today. Supposed to be better tomorrow.

No train work except plotting my next move. I'm still waiting to get the stitches out of my hand and then all should be well. I can still tell when I overuse it as the thumb tingles a little. But otherwise more normal sleep!!!

Good Morning All. 33° and raining. Supposed to warm up today to 37°. So far the large band of snow/ice has been staying west about 20 miles away. It will probably move in about the time that my wife has to drive to work.

It's going to take a little extra to get me going this morning Flo, how about a double order of bacon and a pair of over-easy eggs with a whole wheat English Muffin. Follow that up with an apple fritter and a second glass of orange juice.

Thanks for the likes and other comments yesterday regarding the scenery progress; Johnny, Chet, Rick, Dave, Chad, Sherrel, Justin, James, Phil, Joe, Karl, Bill, Patrick, Jerome, Ken, Mikey, Curt, Tom, Jim, Garry.

I didn't get a lot of time in the train shed yesterday, I watched some cab ride videos and some other model railroad stuff. Time flies!
In lieu of any progress reports, I will post some more motive power pictures.
First is the other pair of Dash9-44CW's that I couldn't locate the other day.
02-05-20 001.JPG

These are Kato models from about 20 years ago.
My favorite locomotive, a pair of Kato SD40-2's also from about 20 years ago.
02-05-20 002.JPG

And from Athearn, a pair of GP40X's that are a bit younger.
02-05-20 003.JPG

Behind them are a pair of GP60's from P2K.
And just for Sherrel, a pair of Athearn CF7's, known around here as "Ugly Ducklings".
02-05-20 004.001.JPG

Johnny - No beard picture for now, let's just say that I am now closer to the avatar picture. Ballasting is actually a task that I don't mind doing, except around switches. You need to "dirty-up" the area around the lumber mill with weeds, overgrowth and loose materials. Good scene though.
Beady -
Willie - Here's an opportunity for some easy beer money. Looks like they have openings in your area. No need to thank me.

index.php
No beer money there, it says "volunteer"
Dennis - Interesting story about the supply boxcar.
Mikey - The converted boxcar did take longer to weather than to build. It will take even longer to "plant it".
Jim - Doctor appointments have been taking up way more of my retired life than I had envisioned. And the fact that every doctor is 25 miles away doesn't help matters either. Roxy's is really looking good.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning all. 30 and snowing lightly right now. A mix of snow, sleet, and freezing rain and ice coming today. We're at work but I'm thinking they'll close early today so we can navigate the icy roads home.

Garry, Jim, Tom, IB Ken, Wheeler, Patrick, Robots, Karl, Boris, Flip, Sherrel, Chessie, Chad, Chet and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments on my lumber mill photo yesterday.

Put the last pieces in place last night. Here's the puzzle I've been working on for nearly a month:
RRPuzzleComplete.jpg

Have a good day everyone.

Well, it started sleeting about ten minutes ago. Then it magically stopped, thankfully. I have enough dry firewood in the house for today, tonight and tomorrow morning. Just started bringing some in to start drying for tomorrow night. Fortunately, firewood only gets wet on the outside and dries rather quickly. Still at 32° so the melt will be slow.

One other thing, anyone have experience cutting acrylic glazing?
My only experience is with material 1/4" thick for skylights when we made them at work. We used a standard table saw with a big table. We used a regular carbide tipped blade. Any circular saw can be used for straight lines. Use a jigsaw for curves. For hobbyists, I assume that there is a similar blade that can be used with a Dremel tool.
Hope that this helps.

Good Morning everyone...overcast this morning and a bit cold with the possibility of snow later tonight.

Down to the rains later after a few posts and a time entering tax information in the program.

My plans are to make a metal linked fence after finding out that Woodland Scenic's is sold out and all hobby shops as well. I have some of the metal mesh that I'll attach to a frame (posts and cross members) mae out of spring steel from a hobby shop from RC modeling that I'll solder together, then paint and then attach the mesh to the finished frame. I did a simliar fence several years ago. I hope I can find the mesh!!!

Plus, I want to clean the tracks on the mine spurs which I keep postponing.

Willie: Nice Santa Fe power.

Johnny: Nice job on the puzzle.

I'll let the coal train run for a while while I work on t projects and clean up. The unit train is being pulled by recently acquired SD-9 locomotive. A great running locomotive and the coal cars are out for their first outings, are behaving and staying on the tracks.

I watched the State of the Union message and then stayed up until 3:00 AM watching NYPD Blue. The program is starting to run re-runs so maybe I'll start getting more sleep. I cut short watching the series that starts at 12:00 mid night lasts until 4:00 AM.

That's all for now.

Greg

#####################

1580920140733.png

Sorry Sherrel, this photo can't be enlarged.-Greg

Morning all,

26* and cloudy in Doo-Dah with some snow flurries predicted. High of 32* today. Supposed to be better tomorrow.

No train work except plotting my next move. I'm still waiting to get the stitches out of my hand and then all should be well. I can still tell when I overuse it as the thumb tingles a little. But otherwise more normal sleep!!!
Yeah, me too. I've laid out a couple of bridges over the parts already built, now I just have figure out how to connect them to each other and to the rest of the layout. And then there are still all those spots that derailed.

Good morning. The calm before the storm, maybe. 19 degrees with overcast skies. We have a winter weather advisory in effect from this afternoon until Friday morning. 6 to 12 inches predicted. Some snow on the radar, but nothing close by but the mountains do make it difficult.

Sherrel - Nice shot of the E-9.

Mikey - Thanks for the comment. Vehicles add interest, but the use of figures really make the difference as you can see in Willie's photos.

Curt - I really never asked about the Roosevelt Arch in the Gardiner area of the club layout. Don't know how to get the actual dimensions but even if she just eyeballed it, it is pretty close.
8583404314_8550c7928a_b.jpg IMAG1142.jpgthumbnail_20190801_135816.jpg

Jim - Really like that diner. Wanted to do something like that in one town but the space was so limited, I had to use Walthers diner. When I scratchbuilt this cafe, there really wasn't much available at the time. Guess it is probably close to 30 years old.

thumbnail_20190414_112400.jpg thumbnail_20190414_112418.jpg

Willie
- You sure have quite the collection of Santa Fe power. I am assuming that the Scale Trains are your favorites.

Greg
- Where was the photo taken with all of the Milwaukee Road power? Nice shot.

Johnny - Nice job on that puzzle.I can see why it could take a month.

Now all we have to do here is wait and see if the forecast is accurate.

85194139_215004826332764_8860371030313533440_o.jpg

Later

I think that code is a cylinder 6 misfire code.

You were correct, TERRY! The spark plug wire to the #6 cylinder was broken where it attached to the spark plug and was making intermittent contact. I could have changed the wire myself, but thought - "I just bought this thing from the mechanic - least he can do is give me a new set of wires".
Besides, he made lots of $ from me on the Dacrapa's fixings!

Question for you'all ... After rather extensive use for 12 years, and being a little rambunctious feeding logs, the back refractory panel in our Heatilator broke. I am trying to locate one near here.
The panel costs $110-145, somewhat cheaper if I go out of State, however the freight charge is $140.00 - That's absurd!
Is there a danger in using the fireplace without the "brick looking" panel in place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back