Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes! Leave this thread for a couple days and there are 10 pages of responses. I am reluctant to opine to one post, as apposed to offending the other 30-40 posters. As I also value their posts. I am still working although not recently as a Locomotive engineer for BNSF. Hoping to be retired very soon. Maybe then I can keep up with a few of you folks :D:D

Yikes! Leave this thread for a couple days and there are 10 pages of responses. I am reluctant to opine to one post, as apposed to offending the other 30-40 posters. As I also value their posts. I am still working although not recently as a Locomotive engineer for BNSF. Hoping to be retired very soon. Maybe then I can keep up with a few of you folks :D:D
Tom even retired this is a tough place to keep up. But it’s all good

TomO

Yikes! Leave this thread for a couple days and there are 10 pages of responses... I am still working although not recently as a Locomotive engineer for BNSF. Hoping to be retired very soon. Maybe then I can keep up with a few of you folks :D:D
Tom even retired this is a tough place to keep up. But it’s all good
There are days that I cannot even get out of the Coffee Shop!

Well as kbkchooch said I need to replace the motor mount, motor and flywheels, but when I tried finding spares for this, no one seems to have anything, and the one place in the UK (Gaugemaster) that should have spares aren't answering emails or the phone, so I was returning it, but the seller has simply given me a full refund and I don't need to return it. So it will go into my "to do" box. Ordered a replacement which is a Bachmann, should be able to get spares, their office is 16 miles away and pretty good, I've ordered spares from before for my OO scale. :)
new2.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning shop dwellers.

Flo- Coffee and the Usual please.

Let's talk weather for a moment. How are we going to close out 2021 in South Carolina? 55, 60, 67 (Christmas Day), 72, 72, 75, 74, 70, 71. Dang global warming or climate change or whatever buzzword they're using now. I think if all them hot air bags would shut their pie holes we might see a drop in temperatures all across this great nation. But I digress.

Received the second shipment of buildings yesterday, now I'm just waiting for some detail parts to arrive. I will try to update with pics soon.

Today is the last day of work for 4 days. I managed to get most of my deliveries done yesterday, so today should only be a half day. I have to call a few for delivery on Tuesday, but the won't be too bad. looking forward to some time off. Next week is a 3 day week, and I'm putting in motion today a plan for the family to ring in the new year in the mountains. Planning to spend a couple of days in Lenoir, NC so we can be close to Linville Falls and Blowing Rock. Would love to hit Tweetsie, but I think they are already closed for the year.

Flo- More coffee please, need a little move go-go juice before heading out.

Good morning all! Flo, I'll take all the coffee you got and start making some more.

31 degrees heading for cloudy and 51. When I looked at the weather before bed last night it said sunny and 55 for today, but it changed overnight. Either way, I'll still go sit at the park for my lunch break. I'll probably catch a westbound train when I'm there today since I'll be eating a couple hours later than usual. On my regular days it's always an eastbounder. Never a long train, but at least it's a train. I've shot a few videos of trains running on the old B&O lately and need to get them edited and uploaded to my YouTube channel sometime. Just never enough time or energy for doing anything these days.

@bnsf971 Sorry to hear of your latest reason for concern. Hoping everything starts getting better for you very soon.

Hope you all have a great day!

Good morning. It’s clear and 33.
My landlord has been released from the hospital and is back home feeling miserable.
I think I will treat this as a wake up call anyway, and cull non-essential items from the house, and toss anything we haven’t used in three years.

Good Morning All. Extremely foggy and 47°. It's so foggy that I cannot see the train shed from the bedroom window 30' away. The heat wave continues, with 75° today and then three days of 82°+. This is somewhat typical for Christmas week, although usually not quite as warm.
I am for the most part over my negative reaction to the Moderna booster shot Tuesday, although there are some minor lingering chills and aches. Interesting that it didn't happen when I got the initial immunizations. Wife had no issues this time. I'll be headed out shortly for the weekly grocery trek which was postponed from yesterday. I hope that there aren't any unmanageable crowds.

Thanks to all who offered well wishes for my (hoped for) short term vaccination reaction.

Just a BLT today Francine, with extra "B". Make it an apple juice on the side.

Over the last two days, I made significant progress on the DPM structure that I am making out of modular walls. I don't know yet what kind of business/warehouse it may be yet, but the walls are now complete.
IMG_0062.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG

Some of the wall sections didn't go together too well, hence the Testor's putty along the front wall. But since I am going to paint the whole structure, that shouldn't matter. The paint is to differentiate it from the brewery next door.
IMG_0068.JPG

Joe - Safe travels this holiday season.
Troy - While I always try to arrange some menu items for the dietary needs of my guests, I also rely on their common sense not to eat stuff that is harmful. Fortunately I don't use a lot of gluten and dairy products when I cook, except for cheese!
Rico - Like others, I have PM'd Jerome and not gotten a response. But I have noticed extended hiatuses in the past, especially when he was building the train room.
Todd - Good advice on the water intake. I am mostly able to keep the blood sugar below 120, but I have to pee more often.
Guy - Cafe is excellent.
Sherrel - Sorry that I missed your call yesterday. Thank you for your concern. It was quite a blow since I rarely get sick or feel badly.
Steve J - I resolved the Christmas present dilemma a few years ago. There's this thing on Amazon called lists, and my kids and wife all have access to dadslist. I generally put extra stuff on there since my birthday is January 4, and it serves double duty. No duplicates since once one of them orders something from the list, it drops off. I have told them before that the list can be suggestions, as my LHS, which is a discounter, is only five miles from where both of my daughters live. They could get everything cheaper there, but they are young and online shopping is where it's at. I only put train stuff there since we are at the point in life where if we want or need something, we just purchase it.
Best wishes for your daughter. I know that you have posted before that it's irreversible, but maybe with our prayers it will stabilize.
Jaz - Discount fiend! I'll have to start using that phrase; my wife calls it hoarding.
I have met Sherrel's wife in person, she is a wonderful lady.
Christian - How can anyone as innocuous as you be banned from a forum??? Excuse the $50 word, I added a link for non-English speaking persons.
Curt - Excellent work on the engine servicing facility.
Chris - Litter? Did you say litter? I have litter on my layout. Here is a vacant lot.
06-20-18 023.JPG

Terry - Is there no chance of you purchasing the home from the landlords?? Owner financed?

Today is Festivus for all who think that the holidays are overblown.
So Happy Festivus Day, and Merry Christmas to anyone cutting out early for those out of town visits. Everybody have a great day and stay safe.

Morning all,

Waiting on the dishwasher to finish before starting the next project. Mom was doing well yesterday, and I took her to Cracker Barrel. Haven't been in one for years and I know why. Not terrible, but not as good as I remembered. Currently setup the blu-ray and watching "A Christmas Story" while waiting.

Now to catchup on what I missed yesterday.

Christian: I belonged to a car site that was that way. I just wanted to know more about my car and they were the concours restoration types.

Morning Everyone! This will be short as my "BARBIE" will be here shortly (she was at her Mom's for the night) to pick me up as she is dragging me to COSTCO - opening at 8 am today for old folks shopping.

CURT, Willie, and others: Thank you so much for the compliments! I think she's still in pretty good shape for 72 and I certainly would not trade her for a newer model!
She was "Miss Altadena" in 1964 and part of the Rose Bowl Queen's court float in the parade that year.
There was talk (from her older sister) that she would have been considered for the Queen in another year, but the family moved to Santa Barbara.

Weatherwise - It is 55F and cloudy. The high today should reach 62F and rain likely; tomorrow: rain likely; Christmas Day: chance of rain and cloudy. Most of the time we are just a little too far south for those types of forecasts to be that accurate.

Willie: You are in rare form today! There you go using those BIG words that I have to look up!
Glad you are feeling better today!

I better stop this for now! Going to get really busy around here - Have to go to Newport tomorrow for Christmas with the "rich kin" there, and then up to the local daughter's for presents and brakfast, and then out to MIL's house for Christmas dinner with the family cooked by "Barbie".
Going to be like a whirlwind the next 48 or so hours!
Wishing all a Very Merry Christmas!

Willie, the original plan was to purchase the house, but the house and property require too much remediation to conform to current laws before it can be sold.
If the family decides to sell it to somebody, I don’t want all the issues to become my problem.

Waiting on hold, estimated wait time 74 minutes, to speak to the Maryland Transportation Authority. They handle the EZPass. Seems my battery died in my transponder and not knowing I accumulated $527 in video tolls. I think someone would have contacted me. I use the high speed lanes and it does not acknowledge if it accepts or in this case has not read my transponder.

Not the way I intended to spend my "take it easy" day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back