Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
The drains are normally pretty easy to do, but I had quite a time getting this one put together without any leaks.
I feel your pain my friend, I had to install a new dishwasher yesterday and it was not as easy as the last one for sure. Power and water in the front bottom (Maytag) vice my last one with a plug in the back and water hookup easily attached in the back as well. It was a fun job as usual and kept me from trains yesterday sadly.

Hello Shop Dwellers!

Didn't post last night because I felt crappy and just didn't have the energy. But - interesting enough - ever since I crawled out of bed this morning, my condition seems significantly improved. The tightness in my lungs is gone and my nose isn't runny anymore, but I'd compare my current situation to where I was on Monday evening, with only an occasional stray cough. Don't have a fever (never did actually) and my oxygen level is at 98%.

It's been over 48 hours since my covid test, and I still have not heard from the testing authorities regarding my PCR result. They promised to email and text me the result if it was negative, or a live person would call me if positive; neither has happened. I can't call anybody because their offices are closed for New Years Eve. So... if I don't hear from them by ~3pm, I am going to assume the result was negative, and go out and do a bit of shopping (avoiding close contact with anybody). I refuse to imprison myself for the rest of the weekend just because they haven't officially told me I'm cured.

As for the the rest of the family, they all seem to be doing better.

Terry - condolences about your dog! :(

. . .
IBKen: Sounds like the symptoms I had. Hope it's nothing more than a cold. I hope the rest of your family recovers quickly.
. . .
Joe - that's probably what it was, it would have lasted much longer if it was covid.

. . .
IBKen. Keeping the fingers crossed it's just a cold. Just found out our cashier at work is out, her husband was in direct contact with a infected person, so she is taking off as a precaution and getting tested. We're all waiting on her results.
. . .
Whatever it was Karl, I'm over it now!

. . .
IB Ken- I hope you feel better soon.
. . .
Thank you Curt - I do now!:)

Happy New Year all you Model Railroaders out there. Over-cast sky and damp and we're waiting for the snow storm to get here tomorrow night with a Winter Storm Watch in effect. My guess is that we'll get more snow than predicted due to the lake effect snow that happens during snow storms and and wind direction.

Nice cover on the February issue of the Model Railroader. Funny it's the February 2022 issue and it's still December 2021!

At the cabin we have a Lopi gas stove/fireplace that will heat 2,100 square feet. It has a remote control that you can set the temperature output and the Lopi goes on and off to maintain the temperature. I would of liked a wood stove, but the cabin is so air tight that a wood fireplace is not recommended. The Lopi pulls fresh air in for combustion from the atmosphere through the double walled chimney.

Tomorrow, I start my set of New Year's resolutions for 2022.

Yesterday, I ordered the second series set of Model Railroader Video Plus Series, Rehab My Railroad. I must have watched the series three or four times on the Video web site. The staff of Model Railroader rehabs areas of Chuck Stable's C&NW model railroad which is a medium sized home layout. I usually learn something new or spot something I missed when I previously watched the videos. There is like 16 segments to the series.

Checked on my charge card balance and it's like the national debt due to Christmas shopping and of course model railroading!

Terry:
My thoughts are with you and I understand fully the feelings you are going though. My deepest condolences.

Troy: That's a nice looking work bench. Great selection of model paint colors. Will a writing desk provide as much work space as you now have now with tour existing work bench?

Our Facebook group is very active for our informal model railroad club. Members are posting layout photos and photos of our large modular layout that we quit operation due to its size and no real great place to assemble the layout.

That's all for now.

Happy New Year!

Greg

#############

An old photo of our modular layout and the pair of my Atlas MILW U-Boats pulling my ore train. I installed the cab strobe on the lead locomotive. The pair have DCC installed in the stock DC locomotives. They were speed matched from the factory!-Greg
1640974627472.png

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

I've been troubleshooting a short in the RH/TT section of the layout. The rest of the layout runs fine so I can run trains, just not in the affected area. I've done everything I can think of so Monday I'll call my buddy Jon to see if he can come to the house and take a look. I have a feeling it's something stupid siince it has worked fine for a year without issue.

Hughie- Nice scene.

Terry- I'm very sorry about your dog.

Joe- Nice looking boxcars and cabin car.

Willie- Nice job on the walls.

Troy- Sorry to hear about your MIL. It's a really tough situation.

Greg- Nice layout photo.

I hope everyone has a good and safe night.

Good morning y'all. Last Day of 2021...On the whole, 2021 was scary, but not as bad as 2020. Hope 2022 is a lot better, for all of us.

46° and Foggy. Not much to add to what I posted last night.

Terry: Thanks for the tip, and Sorry about your little buddy. Hope you get the mobility scooter issue resolved ASAP, your wife needs to get around.

View attachment 137881
A fitting end to 2021.
Boris I guess you worked for the PC. I was there from 1969 to 1981. I hired out a few months after the merger. Did you receive your letter from RR retirement concerning the Tiers 1 & 2? I was wondering why we didn't receive payment to day being tomorrow is a holiday I wanted to see how much more a month I'll be getting.
George

First: RIP Betty White

Dang you, 2021!

Greg
: Yep. With drawers. I'm only using about 60 inches of the bench space, the rest collects junk. The desk is 59.75 inches long and one inch less deep.

And, the cruise line just altered their policy for cancellations. We can postpone our cruise to any other within 2022 without penalty. Told the wife and she and sis will decide tomorrow.

Boris I guess you worked for the PC. I was there from 1969 to 1981. I hired out a few months after the merger. Did you receive your letter from RR retirement concerning the Tiers 1 & 2? I was wondering why we didn't receive payment to day being tomorrow is a holiday I wanted to see how much more a month I'll be getting.
George
George: I hired on the PRR Chesapeake Div, on 1-30-67, and was there for the whole PC era. I did a stint with Amtrak, 1976-1977, then back with CR through 1998, then finished with Amtrak 1998 through 12-17-2008.

The letter(s) were delivered on Wednesday, After all the increased premiums and withholding were factored in, mine went up $162, and the wife $79. My bank account does not show the payment either, perhaps it will show tomorrow morning. FWIW, Tier 1 went up 5.9%, and Tier 2 1.9%.
Everyone's will be different based on length of service and earnings.

Happy New Year!

George: I hired on the PRR Chesapeake Div, on 1-30-67, and was there for the whole PC era. I did a stint with Amtrak, 1976-1977, then back with CR through 1998, then finished with Amtrak 1998 through 12-17-2008.

The letter(s) were delivered on Wednesday, After all the increased premiums and withholding were factored in, mine went up $162, and the wife $79. My bank account does not show the payment either, perhaps it will show tomorrow morning. FWIW, Tier 1 went up 5.9%, and Tier 2 1.9%.
Everyone's will be different based on length of service and earnings.

Happy New Year!
So Boris you had Penny's seniority. I had Penn Central seniority. If I would have hired out 6 months earlier, I would of had New York Central seniority. That's a whole different ballgame. With that I have would have never left, but everything turned out well for me so I can't complain. I still have lots of RR friends I play golf with and I ended up retiring before they did.
George

Last edited:
Good Afternoon all! WE are getting in the last of our good warm weather today and part of tomorrow. Tomorrow, predicted, heat index adjusted, 84 degrees, Sunday morning, wind chill adjusted, 24 degrees. There is no climatizing here in Southeast Texas.

Terry - Seems if it weren't for bad luck, you'd have no luck at all. I feel for you with the dog. Dogs are such funny creatures. My wife wanted a dog, small, that would bark if someone were around. It was to be her dog. I would have selected a Collie or German Shepherd. We looked for months for her dog. We found a dog at a rescue. I can't explain it, but that dog and I bonded instantly. A Shih Tzu/ Terrier mix, a small dog. We have had this little dog for 12 years. He follows me everywhere. He is my dog, he picked me to be his go to person. He spends hours in the train room just lying there watching and waiting. I know, like you, I'll be heartbroken when that day comes. I have thanked God on a number of occasions for allowing us find and adopt this little dog. I know it is hard, but I hope you stay with your dog when it is time. I truly believe of all the animals the good Lord created, dogs definitely go to Heaven.

I worked on the firewall for the tank farm.
1640991855110.jpeg

1640991885442.jpeg

STAY SAFE
LATER

Afternoon All,

I've been troubleshooting a short in the RH/TT section of the layout. The rest of the layout runs fine so I can run trains, just not in the affected area. I've done everything I can think of so Monday I'll call my buddy Jon to see if he can come to the house and take a look. I have a feeling it's something stupid siince it has worked fine for a year without issue.

Hughie- Nice scene.

Terry- I'm very sorry about your dog.

Joe- Nice looking boxcars and cabin car.

Willie- Nice job on the walls.

Troy- Sorry to hear about your MIL. It's a really tough situation.

Greg- Nice layout photo.

I hope everyone has a good and safe night.
Curt- I just wanted to mention what a difference your ground cover looks like compared to the pictures from the first of the month.

Hour and a half to go until January, according to my clock, so I'll put this here.

I haven't been doing any videos lately. Too much stuff going on and not enough bandwidth to sit at the PC for hours. Finally put together a video of my last big haul at North Metro club, though. After this and my Brewing Industry video, there will be no more North Metro on my channel.

Curt: Mine, is an Inspiron 15 5510. Works very well, and I like it. Good luck with yours.

Hughie: I like the pictures of your layout.

Terry: Not for nothing, I hope your luck changes for the better, in the New Year.

Mikey: Only if the old one is no longer functional...;)

Louis: Sometimes, you just have to say NO! and mean it. I should have said NO! more often. Hey, How about the explosion at Curtis Bay, today? They, (the Sun), are saying something ignited the coal dust, and that the whole city felt it.

It's rather damp and raw, with fog tonight. We are looking at a mild New Years, followed by a drastic cool down on Monday. I recall two other Christmas - New Years when it was so foggy and mild. One when I was in grade school, the other, in 1971. Quite a contrast to Christmas in North Country.

I am no longer following Facebook. I went on there with an alias, specifically to follow different model railroad oriented groups, Railfan groups, , and Fire Departments in Baltimore, Philadelphia, Chester,and Central jersey. Since FB began its changeover to "Meta", I get more unwanted crap, and significantly less of what I went there for in the first place.

The only thing we have to do tomorrow, is pickup a prescription. We intend to chill out until the new year. I will probably have to replace a tire on the car early next week. The LF is a nail magnet...:( Tire already has a patch and a plug. Not quite 10k miles on it. :(.

View attachment 137858
Christmas gifts from second son and grand daughter. Rapido X31, and Atlas Christmas Car.
View attachment 137859
Brewed on the Shores of the Chesapeake Bay...or more accurately, Once upon a time in East Baltimore. The one on the left is an New Atlas (Christmas Gift this year), the one on the right, a Blue Box 40' refrigerator.
In the foreground you can see I'm redoing some of my track to better serve my model railroad customers.

Have a good evening, and a Happy New Year!
Happy New Year!

Boris,

Just say no, it does work in some cases! 😁

The explosion at the Curtis Bay coal piers is still under investigation. Baltimore city councilmen, Eric Costello reported that it was caused by a propane tank, but that is unsubstantiated.
I can believe there was lots of coal dust, there always is when moving coal in confined spaces, especially with high quality coal. I worked in the automatic sampling building at the east side coal terminal. The coal dust can be so bad it looks like dense fog. We were warned not to smoke in the building, but I've seen people do it. The old timers told me "coal is hard to ignite" I did not want to find out for myself.
1641023594611.png

I love those cars, all of them. Tuscan red PRR, the Christmas car, the white National Boh is my favorite. I'm amazed how popular National Boh is now. There was a time when it was lowest price beer in town, they almost had to give it away!
Now Mr. Boh's one eyed grin can be seen all over the city! I live about 2 miles from the old National brewery. It is now luxury apartments with a Natty Boh theme. Directly across the street is the Gunther building with more luxury apartments. The young people love Natty Boh!
Where were their parents when Gunther and later National faced bankruptcy due to poor sales? Now National Boh is made in Houston, I think. It's still as good as ever. My personal favorite National Premium has been run revived by a micro brewery on the eastern shore. It seems to be the same great beer to me. And I thought micro breweries were useless. 😉
1641023722899.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back