Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 58°. Kinda nice outside right now. Happy New Years Eve. I will be celebrating between 7:00 pm and 9:00 pm, as I haven't seen midnight in over 35 years. Today is also brother #2's birthday. He was born at 11:45 pm. As my father always told it, the doctor asked him if he wanted the last baby of the year or the first one of the following year. Dad with his accounting background said that he wanted the tax deduction for the whole year and promised the doctor a bottle of Old Grand Dad if he could make it happen.

The weekly grocery trek went well yesterday until checkout time. I like to use the line with the cashier, but there was eight folks ahead of me in the only open lane. I used the self-checkout instead, which isn't too bad except waiting for the person in front to bag up their groceries and having to wait on an associate to override the register for alcohol purchases; and again to use store coupons. Real hassle since there is only one associate for 14 lanes. Usually when I shop, there are two regular lanes open and there is no wait. Of course just as I finished bagging my groceries, they opened another staffed checkout. I expressed my dissatisfaction on the online feedback survey when I got home. Not that it will do any good though.

Wednesday when we made the trip to town for the doctor visit, I stopped by the local Walgreen's pharmacy to pick up a prescription. The entire pharmacy was closed! Cashier at the front of the store was unable to tell me why so I had to go back yesterday. The young lady at the pharmacy counter explained to me that their pharmacist tested positive for Covid Wednesday and went home. State law will not allow them to dispense anything without a registered pharmacist on duty. So they had to close until another one could come in while they scrubbed everything down. Meanwhile outside on Wednesday, the same five cars were still in the drive-thru lane, obviously unaware that it was shut down!

I have posted many times about using a wood-burning heater to heat the entire house. I never thought to post a photo of it. Well here it is.
IMG_0098.JPG

Can't really tell from the picture, but it sits on an insulated metal base that happens to be the same color ad the flooring.
The control box (damper) for regulating the air intake, and thus the rate of burn/heat.
IMG_0097.JPG

We have found that running the device at 350° is about the most optimal unless it gets really cold outside. That's the thermometer next to the knob on top. Running it cooler than that causes the fuel to smolder too much which allows creosote buildup in the chimney, which in turn reduces the air flow and efficiency. Yes, it sometimes gets a little warm in the living room where it is located, ~78°-82°, but the natural airflow down the hallway to the bedrooms keeps them at about 68°-72°, perfect for sleeping. In extreme circumstances, I have a room to room fan mounted in the wall above the heater that allows me to send air down that hallway which both heats the bedrooms further or cools down the living room a bit. A full load of wood will burn over 14 hours if needed, and embers will remain hot and be able to reignite a fire as much as 8 more hours afterward. The door and the damper are the only two moving parts, and after 41 years of use have not required any maintenance. I do have to remove ashes every two weeks or so, but that can even be done with a fire going, carefully though, with a short handled shovel, gloves and a galvanized pail. Once a year I have to clean the chimney. Simple and mostly free, but I still have to cut wood.

How about ham and over easy eggs today Flo. Maybe a piece of raisin toast and an OJ.

Thanks for all of the likes regarding the unusual throne placements; OB Ken, James, Christian, Rick, Hughie, Sherrel, Guy, George, Mikey, Patrick, Louis, Smudge, Tom, IB Ken.

I finished the mortar wash out in the train shed yesterday. It's a little heavier than I wanted it to be and needs some minor tuneup next.
IMG_0090.JPG

IMG_0095.JPG

Installed a stairway on the rear loading dock and a few roof details.
IMG_0091.JPG
IMG_0092.JPG

Still a bit more touching up to do, and I will be adding some vent stacks to the roof. Measured out the front stairs for the personnel door, but I didn't have time to install the handrail or attach them.
IMG_0093.JPG

Dock bumpers on the front docks are also needed.

Patrick - Belated Happy Birthday for your wife.
Steve J - Yea! Good luck with that restaurant reservation on New Years Eve. Congratulations to your daughter.
Guy - My ability to churn out structures varies based on the rest of life. I should be able to quicken the pace soon as rehab/medical care for my wife tapers off.
Chad - Sitting all day long in front of a computer screen is the real downside of day trading.

Again, everyone have a great New Years Eve and stay safe. No need to be sober if you're staying home.

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 58°. Kinda nice outside right now. Happy New Years Eve. I will be celebrating between 7:00 pm and 9:00 pm, as I haven't seen midnight in over 35 years. Today is also brother #2's birthday. He was born at 11:45 pm. As my father always told it, the doctor asked him if he wanted the last baby of the year or the first one of the following year. Dad with his accounting background said that he wanted the tax deduction for the whole year and promised the doctor a bottle of Old Grand Dad if he could make it happen.

The weekly grocery trek went well yesterday until checkout time. I like to use the line with the cashier, but there was eight folks ahead of me in the only open lane. I used the self-checkout instead, which isn't too bad except waiting for the person in front to bag up their groceries and having to wait on an associate to override the register for alcohol purchases; and again to use store coupons. Real hassle since there is only one associate for 14 lanes. Usually when I shop, there are two regular lanes open and there is no wait. Of course just as I finished bagging my groceries, they opened another staffed checkout. I expressed my dissatisfaction on the online feedback survey when I got home. Not that it will do any good though.

Wednesday when we made the trip to town for the doctor visit, I stopped by the local Walgreen's pharmacy to pick up a prescription. The entire pharmacy was closed! Cashier at the front of the store was unable to tell me why so I had to go back yesterday. The young lady at the pharmacy counter explained to me that their pharmacist tested positive for Covid Wednesday and went home. State law will not allow them to dispense anything without a registered pharmacist on duty. So they had to close until another one could come in while they scrubbed everything down. Meanwhile outside on Wednesday, the same five cars were still in the drive-thru lane, obviously unaware that it was shut down!

I have posted many times about using a wood-burning heater to heat the entire house. I never thought to post a photo of it. Well here it is.
View attachment 137879
Can't really tell from the picture, but it sits on an insulated metal base that happens to be the same color ad the flooring.
The control box (damper) for regulating the air intake, and thus the rate of burn/heat.
View attachment 137880
We have found that running the device at 350° is about the most optimal unless it gets really cold outside. That's the thermometer next to the knob on top. Running it cooler than that causes the fuel to smolder too much which allows creosote buildup in the chimney, which in turn reduces the air flow and efficiency. Yes, it sometimes gets a little warm in the living room where it is located, ~78°-82°, but the natural airflow down the hallway to the bedrooms keeps them at about 68°-72°, perfect for sleeping. In extreme circumstances, I have a room to room fan mounted in the wall above the heater that allows me to send air down that hallway which both heats the bedrooms further or cools down the living room a bit. A full load of wood will burn over 14 hours if needed, and embers will remain hot and be able to reignite a fire as much as 8 more hours afterward. The door and the damper are the only two moving parts, and after 41 years of use have not required any maintenance. I do have to remove ashes every two weeks or so, but that can even be done with a fire going, carefully though, with a short handled shovel, gloves and a galvanized pail. Once a year I have to clean the chimney. Simple and mostly free, but I still have to cut wood.

How about ham and over easy eggs today Flo. Maybe a piece of raisin toast and an OJ.

Thanks for all of the likes regarding the unusual throne placements; OB Ken, James, Christian, Rick, Hughie, Sherrel, Guy, George, Mikey, Patrick, Louis, Smudge, Tom, IB Ken.

I finished the mortar wash out in the train shed yesterday. It's a little heavier than I wanted it to be and needs some minor tuneup next.
View attachment 137882
View attachment 137883
Installed a stairway on the rear loading dock and a few roof details.
View attachment 137884View attachment 137885
Still a bit more touching up to do, and I will be adding some vent stacks to the roof. Measured out the front stairs for the personnel door, but I didn't have time to install the handrail or attach them.View attachment 137886
Dock bumpers on the front docks are also needed.

Patrick - Belated Happy Birthday for your wife.
Steve J - Yea! Good luck with that restaurant reservation on New Years Eve. Congratulations to your daughter.
Guy - My ability to churn out structures varies based on the rest of life. I should be able to quicken the pace soon as rehab/medical care for my wife tapers off.
Chad - Sitting all day long in front of a computer screen is the real downside of day trading.

Again, everyone have a great New Years Eve and stay safe. No need to be sober if you're staying home.
Willie - that is an Earth Stove isn't it? We had one of those 17ish years ago and it would blast ya out of the house. Had to have windows open even when it was below zero. Good stove - EPA told us we could not use it anymore and needed to get one that was certified by them - right! !!

I gotta ask--how did EPA know what wood stove was in your house?
Stuff comming out of the chimney when ya stoked it down. They actually had an EPA gal going around and checking smoke. It would burn all night on a load of wood. The EPA certified ones would not and ya had to get up bout 0200 and load again. On top of that if you modified the certified one, ticket! Had a pellet stove as the primary stove so we only used the Earth Stove when below 10F.

Happy LAST day of 2021. Taxes are done and paid for - have to stop by the accountant and sign them. I over estimated the final owed -- and will almost have enough pre-paid for the 2021 year which is about the best present I could hope for. At least the Spousal Unit will not be nagging at me about that.

Good Morning Everyone! It is 48F going up to 58F with partly cloudy they say! SUPPOSED TO BE IN THE 60'S WITH SUNNY AND CLEAR FOR THE NET FEW DAYS. Humm ... must have accidentally
hit the caps key?
FLO - I hope you have a great party tonight? Me - I will watch the ball drop 9PM my time and be in bed 5 min later!
The Spousal Unit pan fried a steak last evening - she is good at that - it was raining out and I was not looking forward to working the grill out back?

TERRY - Very sorry about the pup. Been there several times in the past - still sucks, and I cry a lot, but it has become easier to do. My oldest just turned 16 and she has slowed down a lot, but is still able to climb the stairs to the bedrooms in the evening ... and PTL no kidney problems except drinks too much water?
I hope that you are able to get the scooter resolved to your satisfaction.
I was not sure how to "grade" your post ... I liked it, thought it was funny, and sad, and mad all!

I had better get in gear! I'm always late to the party?

James - What you said about "being there" is so true!

FIrst house in Minnesota was up in Central near Nisswa, Minnesota. Out in unincorporated territory - i.e. outside all city limits. We had natural gas piped, but curiously the house did not have central heat/AC. Each room had separately controlled baseboard heaters.

Wood stove downstairs was fantastic! If the wood was good, did a great job heating the house. That combined with the kick-butt gas fireplace upstairs took care of us. We were considered duel-fuel, meaning that Utility Tyrants could shut off electricity to the independent panel that the baseboard units were all wired for two hours at a time. We got some VERY cold weather up there and we knew when the electricity was shut down. Still between the two - stayed comfy.

Had to be careful downstairs, because that thing would chase you our of the room!

The Big Day - - - Prospective SIL has asked for a lunch date. Girls will be prepping/primping here, so I will dress with him at his place, then take him to the church. H-Hour is 1530.

Well, howdy there, internet people, and Time Travellers like Toot and those of you on the other side of 2021.

It's Troy again.

Today, let's talk about wives and desks.

I was having issues with my fingertips tingling recently. Both hands, so we ruled out a stroke. Started looking around for changes, and realized I've been spending time sitting at my desk writing. I normally did such in the lazyboy, with a lap desk.

Typing wasn't the issue. Seems to be the mouse. Desk is L shaped, and old, without a keyboard drawer. So I had worked a board over the center drawer above my lap. That put the keyboard at a comfortable angle. But the mouse stayed above, and I'd move my arm up to mouse around. Drawer was in the way for me to have my chair all the way to make mousing comfortable.

I spent a week using the recliner and lap desk, and the tingling died off. Back to normal.

So, new desk time.

Got a buddy with an SUV to come over, and we ran off to Culvers (burger place) so I could buy lunch, then off to Office Depot. Half an hour later, I've got a new desk, with enough drawers to store my stuff, and a keyboard drawer.

Now to do the shuffle and move and build.
Old writing desk is about to become the hobby desk and replace this:

Screenshot 2021-12-31 at 10.24.53 AM.png

That's the current "hobby desk.

Fortunately, that is built like my benchwork for the layout, and almost perfect in size for the part I need to rebuild. Going to be doing a lot of recycling, but I had to justify the cost of the new writing desk to the wife.

As for wives, mine is realizing her mother needs more assistance than just having a granddaughter call and check on her once a day. Looks like the long-covid is here to stay for a while. MIL does good, then gets foggy-brained and can't remember her meds, or how to work her insulin pump. She needs live-in assistance right now.

And we're now four weeks away from our cruise, with both of the sisters caring for MIL scheduled to go together.

I figure the wife and her sis will cancel the cruise, but not until next week. That will cost us 25% of the fees. BUT we won't lose MIL because the two people familiar enough with her situation won't be in the Gulf of Mexico for a week.

So, me and the cat are planning on having a frozen pizza (It's not delivery, it's DiGiorno!) and making Mai Tais tonight.

I might even work on putting the new desk together. I'll be in bed by 11. 2021 can show up without my help.

Wife and her mom will probably celebrate about 9pm with hamburger casserole.

Good evening, it’s cloudy and 65.
Several things happened or are in process today.
First, I ordered a new mobility scooter for my wife to use, since she says the three wheel version we have is unstable. It arrived today damaged, and I’ve sent a message to the company we got it from. Unfortunately, it means she won’t be able to use it Sunday, which is the next Bad Thing.
I had to make an appointment with the vet to have our 18 year old dog put to sleep. The appointment is for Sunday at 2.
Next, I was informed I am expected to participate in an RV show next weekend, no excuses.
Our son is supposed to be here Monday.
The purge at the house continues, I’ve taken several carloads of crap to the dumpster at work over the past week. I’m doing this as a priority, before somebody at work tells me it’s no longer allowed.
Other than that, tomorrow will be my last paid holiday for however long I continue to work at my current job.
And so it goes…
2021 has NOT been your year, your work is still likely going to be a right royal pain in the backside, sorry about your dog but seriously you gave it a good shout, scooter for wife well that will roll into the new year,no paid holiday is another pain also,I would hope the new year brings you new luck, I think you need some shaman to bring you luck and lift the cloud, but hopefully you can grin-well ok grim and bear it until retirement, best wishes you need and I hope it is ok I call you friend. if we are sent here to suffer in order to get into heaven I think you are on a winner.

Well, howdy there, internet people, and Time Travellers like Toot and those of you on the other side of 2021.

It's Troy again.

Today, let's talk about wives and desks.

I was having issues with my fingertips tingling recently. Both hands, so we ruled out a stroke. Started looking around for changes, and realized I've been spending time sitting at my desk writing. I normally did such in the lazyboy, with a lap desk.

Typing wasn't the issue. Seems to be the mouse. Desk is L shaped, and old, without a keyboard drawer. So I had worked a board over the center drawer above my lap. That put the keyboard at a comfortable angle. But the mouse stayed above, and I'd move my arm up to mouse around. Drawer was in the way for me to have my chair all the way to make mousing comfortable.

I spent a week using the recliner and lap desk, and the tingling died off. Back to normal.

So, new desk time.

Got a buddy with an SUV to come over, and we ran off to Culvers (burger place) so I could buy lunch, then off to Office Depot. Half an hour later, I've got a new desk, with enough drawers to store my stuff, and a keyboard drawer.

Now to do the shuffle and move and build.
Old writing desk is about to become the hobby desk and replace this:

View attachment 137888

That's the current "hobby desk.

Fortunately, that is built like my benchwork for the layout, and almost perfect in size for the part I need to rebuild. Going to be doing a lot of recycling, but I had to justify the cost of the new writing desk to the wife.

As for wives, mine is realizing her mother needs more assistance than just having a granddaughter call and check on her once a day. Looks like the long-covid is here to stay for a while. MIL does good, then gets foggy-brained and can't remember her meds, or how to work her insulin pump. She needs live-in assistance right now.

And we're now four weeks away from our cruise, with both of the sisters caring for MIL scheduled to go together.

I figure the wife and her sis will cancel the cruise, but not until next week. That will cost us 25% of the fees. BUT we won't lose MIL because the two people familiar enough with her situation won't be in the Gulf of Mexico for a week.

So, me and the cat are planning on having a frozen pizza (It's not delivery, it's DiGiorno!) and making Mai Tais tonight.

I might even work on putting the new desk together. I'll be in bed by 11. 2021 can show up without my help.

Wife and her mom will probably celebrate about 9pm with hamburger casserole.
You need to rest you elbow or hand whichever touches the table on a decent foam support,leaning on the blood supply. / nerves over and over can cause major issues.

Willie - that is an Earth Stove isn't it? We had one of those 17ish years ago and it would blast ya out of the house. Had to have windows open even when it was below zero. Good stove - EPA told us we could not use it anymore and needed to get one that was certified by them - right! !!
Good eye! Yes it is an Earth Stove. Yes it can blast you out of the house if you let it. That's why I marked the damper knob so my wife knows where it needs to be set. It's open all of the way when starting a fire and in our case it needs to be damped down within 6-8 minutes. And yes. My wife can and has started a fire many times over the years. I have cardboard soda boxes filled with kindling to make starting fires easier for both of us. Now and in the late spring, it needs to go out every so often due to our weather and it needs to be restarted often. Even in January and February there are always a few days a month when it's over 70° outside and no heat is necessary.

Good Morning, folks!

Although, I don't know what's good about it. It's cold and it's going to get colder. Stocks are down. The mirror tells me I'm not getting any younger. The world has gone down the toilet. - Suppose I should be thankful I'm still breathing, I'm healthy, and I'm not that bad off.

I'm just going to post a couple of photos of what I did last evening.
The window and door holes were cut into the 1/16" balsa front wall blank. These were deliberately cut in undersized, so they can be fine tuned with a file. The material I'm using necessitates that care must be taken when cutting, and the blank must be on a solid, flat surface while making the cuts.
I'm using dollar store coffee stir-sticks for the backing support:
3rdClass_12-30-2021 (3).JPG

I'm doing one wall first, to see how it goes. Actually, the whole process didn't take very long; about 1/2hr, including gluing on the backing.
3rdClass_12-30-2021 (4).JPG

Some might be wondering why I opted to use 1/16 balsa instead of foam poster-board for the walls. The answer is simply because I have the balsa sheets in stock, and lots of it. The balsa is left over from my R/C aircraft building days.
Bye the way, the backing support must be glued across the grain, everytime. The support is useless if glued with the grain of the balsa.

I'm just posting photos as I go along. Maybe it is of interest, maybe not, but, I'm going to keep posting anyway.

Thanks for the likes on past posts.

Sorry, I'm won't be back in until next year! Have a good one!

My goodness, here's an interesting bit of information. It seems that Dr. Fauci is the highest paid government employee in the US. At $434,312 in 2020, he is paid more than the President. 2021 figures have not been released, and a FOI lawsuit has been filed to obtain that information.
Here's more info and the estimated amounts for his government pension from the New York Post among other news agencies.
Dr Fauci pension
Crazy isn't it???

My goodness, here's an interesting bit of information. It seems that Dr. Fauci is the highest paid government employee in the US. At $434,312 in 2020, he is paid more than the President. 2021 figures have not been released, and a FOI lawsuit has been filed to obtain that information.
Here's more info and the estimated amounts for his government pension from the New York Post among other news agencies.
Dr Fauci pension
Crazy isn't it???
Our tax dollars at work.

Terry I hope things get better for ya.

In regards to your pup.....I feel for ya all my pets over the years are nothing but family members to me. Fur babies if you will. I hope you will be in the room with your pup as he/she is sent to peace, Remember you are the dog's whole world so you should be the last person he/she see to go in peace. My 2 cents. Vets have told me over the years the sadest thing they expirience is their owners do not go with them on their last sleep. It's frightening for the animal to be in a room of unfamiliar faces and territory before they go to their maker.

Hopefully work will continue for a bit longer than you anticipate. As for the purge ugh I understand that......
For the dog we had put down, We paid for the vet to come to us,he had a nice last meal,and we buried him in a safe place with an old coat over him.

For the dog we had put down, We paid for the vet to come to us,he had a nice last meal,and we buried him in a safe place with an old coat over him.
I've made an appointment at the vet for Sunday. The weather here is supposed to go downhill fast over the weekend, so I just spent an hour and a half digging a grave. The vet is providing a small coffin for the dog.

Back when I was working we had to attend hazards substance classes. They told us not to think your protected wearing one of those cotton face mask because they only stop 2% whatever your breathing in. Watching all the volunteers looking for survivors at The World Trade Center with their cotton masks on I'm thinking they better go out and buy a mask that stops 99.9% or their all going to be sick later on. So when I see everyone walking around with their cotton mask's on. Well I guess it's stopping 2% of Covid but their taking in 98%.
George
Yeah I saw the cloth ones single layer are crappy,that the 3 layer ones are better, and worse the hospital ones are only good for 20 minutes…….20 minutes you xxxxing kidding me! I hope that one was wrong! I wear my 3 layer and when in medical places grab the hospital ones and get the hell out asap., I think once dried and quarantined for 20 days they should be safe if they dried out,

I've made an appointment at the vet for Sunday. The weather here is supposed to go downhill fast over the weekend, so I just spent an hour and a half digging a grave. The vet is providing a small coffin for the dog.
I took a picture of. The Doberman s after they passed but it makes me sad to look at those pictures pictures o f them alive make me smile and feel happy, but I have not destroyed the pictures either. Do something nice with the wife, a meal or sonethink it will help you cope,just a nice home cooked meal designed as a send off,it’s amazing, plus I still come across nametags or collars and they don’t make sad I just think of the good times as already said a dog is for life and becomes a piece of our heart. I think you’ll be comforted by him being close,and a coffin is likely a safer bet than an old jacket although we went down a proper 3 foot, it does not seem much when they say people 6ft deep but 3feet is no mean feat. do tell us when the dead is done, give him a big cuddle, I know you will,try not to drown him when you cry.My other half literally bawled like a baby when we lost the one we had to get the vet to,the natural deaths were easier, but it comes to the stage it is cruel to push it,so a big hug to you and your wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back