Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well howdy, there internet cafe dwellers, and those who want to vacation in France with Christian next year.

It's Troy again.

Today, I have a question. I recall that the mods were changing our "titles" under our avatars. Who do I pm to get that done. Finally figured out that I want mine to read: Snarky Old Fart (in training)

Layout question for all of you. I keep coming back to the part of the layout right in front of my electrical panel (the main service for the entire condo). I know as soon as I decide to build a layout there, I'll need to call an electrician. That would mean ripping out the layout in that area again.
I REALLY want to put a 16 inch radius curve right there. or a 17" radius. So, we're looking at a 3ft wide section.

I see two potential solutions. One may not fly with the electrician if they show:
1. Popout town in the middle of the curve. It would have to be a limbo-under section
2. A quick disconnect section on casters to wheel out should the need arise. I'd see perhaps three track sections that need to be disconnected.

Anyone done a quick disconnect, removable section? This isn't a simple bridge for bocking a door. It needs to be a "town" inside a loop end. That way I can do my continuous running of railfanning trains.

My initial thought is to have a water feature from back to front as the dividing section, and pop-out bridges. Then just wheel the 3ft x 3ft section out of the way.

Advice? Thoughts?

Eureka! I discovered that through the DriveEzMD website I can handle this problem. Best of all I only had to pay $106 instead of $527! I love my Maryland!!!

I also love this Amazon tablet, I can do almost anything I can do on my pc. Microsoft office works beautifully. Maybe best of all it brought me back to this great group of people on this forum!

Now on to relaxing on the couch with my beagles.

Last edited:
Troy I think you need a modular section that can be easily removed. I know it is a simple thing to do in O gauge as Lionel an established system for it. I don't know how you could do it in HO or N. I bet somebody on here will know.

Nice work in your bathroom by the way.

Well it's been a productive if slow day. The Bi-colour LED's arrived to finish off the SD7, so that's done GP30 I've sorted the wiring out and the light's work as they should, but the wrong decoder's arrived so I need to exchange that, Cab windows and the Guardrail have arrived, also the paint to re-paint for the C-424, but included with the Cab windows and Guardrail was a bodyshell, in Norfolk and Western livery. I don't know what to do, re-paint or use the Norfolk bodyshell, so I'm asking the members your thoughts about which I should choose to do.

The SD7 with the new LED's.

sd7.jpg

Which bodyshell do you prefer?

bodyshell.jpg

Good Morning All. Extremely foggy and 47°. It's so foggy that I cannot see the train shed from the bedroom window 30' away. The heat wave continues, with 75° today and then three days of 82°+. This is somewhat typical for Christmas week, although usually not quite as warm.
I am for the most part over my negative reaction to the Moderna booster shot Tuesday, although there are some minor lingering chills and aches. Interesting that it didn't happen when I got the initial immunizations. Wife had no issues this time. I'll be headed out shortly for the weekly grocery trek which was postponed from yesterday. I hope that there aren't any unmanageable crowds.

Thanks to all who offered well wishes for my (hoped for) short term vaccination reaction.

Just a BLT today Francine, with extra "B". Make it an apple juice on the side.

Over the last two days, I made significant progress on the DPM structure that I am making out of modular walls. I don't know yet what kind of business/warehouse it may be yet, but the walls are now complete.
View attachment 137474
View attachment 137475
View attachment 137476
View attachment 137477
Some of the wall sections didn't go together too well, hence the Testor's putty along the front wall. But since I am going to paint the whole structure, that shouldn't matter. The paint is to differentiate it from the brewery next door.
View attachment 137478

Joe - Safe travels this holiday season.
Troy - While I always try to arrange some menu items for the dietary needs of my guests, I also rely on their common sense not to eat stuff that is harmful. Fortunately I don't use a lot of gluten and dairy products when I cook, except for cheese!
Rico - Like others, I have PM'd Jerome and not gotten a response. But I have noticed extended hiatuses in the past, especially when he was building the train room.
Todd - Good advice on the water intake. I am mostly able to keep the blood sugar below 120, but I have to pee more often.
Guy - Cafe is excellent.
Sherrel - Sorry that I missed your call yesterday. Thank you for your concern. It was quite a blow since I rarely get sick or feel badly.
Steve J - I resolved the Christmas present dilemma a few years ago. There's this thing on Amazon called lists, and my kids and wife all have access to dadslist. I generally put extra stuff on there since my birthday is January 4, and it serves double duty. No duplicates since once one of them orders something from the list, it drops off. I have told them before that the list can be suggestions, as my LHS, which is a discounter, is only five miles from where both of my daughters live. They could get everything cheaper there, but they are young and online shopping is where it's at. I only put train stuff there since we are at the point in life where if we want or need something, we just purchase it.
Best wishes for your daughter. I know that you have posted before that it's irreversible, but maybe with our prayers it will stabilize.
Jaz - Discount fiend! I'll have to start using that phrase; my wife calls it hoarding.
I have met Sherrel's wife in person, she is a wonderful lady.
Christian - How can anyone as innocuous as you be banned from a forum??? Excuse the $50 word, I added a link for non-English speaking persons.
Curt - Excellent work on the engine servicing facility.
Chris - Litter? Did you say litter? I have litter on my layout. Here is a vacant lot.
View attachment 137473
Terry - Is there no chance of you purchasing the home from the landlords?? Owner financed?

Today is Festivus for all who think that the holidays are overblown.
So Happy Festivus Day, and Merry Christmas to anyone cutting out early for those out of town visits. Everybody have a great day and stay safe.
Looks good Wille

Good morning. It’s clear and 33.
My landlord has been released from the hospital and is back home feeling miserable.
I think I will treat this as a wake up call anyway, and cull non-essential items from the house, and toss anything we haven’t used in three years.
Oh good luck with cleaning out stuff. About 2008 Terry cleaned out her mom’s house over the summer to prepare it for selling. MIL was moving into the youngest daughter’s place. MIL had oturnEd into a pack rat after her hubby passed and everything was in the basement that no one ever visited so didn’t know about. Terry who was doing this herself as none of the too busy family would help her but she was retired so she could do it. She sent me pictures and said her and her friend after day 1 were heading out to drink!

When she got home she said we need to get this place ready to sell for when you retire. All news to me as I thought we weee in the forever home! She started with the back yard, swing sets, sand pits for playing, the volleyball court, trampoline, everything out there all removed and sold off, or tossed if not recycled. Then the garage. The house sold 2 weeks after listing in 2014 and 6 weeks before my retirement. More stuff dumped, recycled or sold off.

We are still reducing stuff down in 2021. So get a dumpster, don’t tell the spousal unit and go for it!
Merry Christmas
TomO

Good Morning All. Extremely foggy and 47°. It's so foggy that I cannot see the train shed from the bedroom window 30' away. The heat wave continues, with 75° today and then three days of 82°+. This is somewhat typical for Christmas week, although usually not quite as warm.
I am for the most part over my negative reaction to the Moderna booster shot Tuesday, although there are some minor lingering chills and aches. Interesting that it didn't happen when I got the initial immunizations. Wife had no issues this time. I'll be headed out shortly for the weekly grocery trek which was postponed from yesterday. I hope that there aren't any unmanageable crowds.

Thanks to all who offered well wishes for my (hoped for) short term vaccination reaction.

Just a BLT today Francine, with extra "B". Make it an apple juice on the side.

Over the last two days, I made significant progress on the DPM structure that I am making out of modular walls. I don't know yet what kind of business/warehouse it may be yet, but the walls are now complete.
View attachment 137474
View attachment 137475
View attachment 137476
View attachment 137477
Some of the wall sections didn't go together too well, hence the Testor's putty along the front wall. But since I am going to paint the whole structure, that shouldn't matter. The paint is to differentiate it from the brewery next door.
View attachment 137478

Joe - Safe travels this holiday season.
Troy - While I always try to arrange some menu items for the dietary needs of my guests, I also rely on their common sense not to eat stuff that is harmful. Fortunately I don't use a lot of gluten and dairy products when I cook, except for cheese!
Rico - Like others, I have PM'd Jerome and not gotten a response. But I have noticed extended hiatuses in the past, especially when he was building the train room.
Todd - Good advice on the water intake. I am mostly able to keep the blood sugar below 120, but I have to pee more often.
Guy - Cafe is excellent.
Sherrel - Sorry that I missed your call yesterday. Thank you for your concern. It was quite a blow since I rarely get sick or feel badly.
Steve J - I resolved the Christmas present dilemma a few years ago. There's this thing on Amazon called lists, and my kids and wife all have access to dadslist. I generally put extra stuff on there since my birthday is January 4, and it serves double duty. No duplicates since once one of them orders something from the list, it drops off. I have told them before that the list can be suggestions, as my LHS, which is a discounter, is only five miles from where both of my daughters live. They could get everything cheaper there, but they are young and online shopping is where it's at. I only put train stuff there since we are at the point in life where if we want or need something, we just purchase it.
Best wishes for your daughter. I know that you have posted before that it's irreversible, but maybe with our prayers it will stabilize.
Jaz - Discount fiend! I'll have to start using that phrase; my wife calls it hoarding.
I have met Sherrel's wife in person, she is a wonderful lady.
Christian - How can anyone as innocuous as you be banned from a forum??? Excuse the $50 word, I added a link for non-English speaking persons.
Curt - Excellent work on the engine servicing facility.
Chris - Litter? Did you say litter? I have litter on my layout. Here is a vacant lot.
View attachment 137473
Terry - Is there no chance of you purchasing the home from the landlords?? Owner financed?

Today is Festivus for all who think that the holidays are overblown.
So Happy Festivus Day, and Merry Christmas to anyone cutting out early for those out of town visits. Everybody have a great day and stay safe.
lol that looks about right👍

Oh good luck with cleaning out stuff. About 2008 Terry cleaned out her mom’s house over the summer to prepare it for selling. MIL was moving into the youngest daughter’s place. MIL had oturnEd into a pack rat after her hubby passed and everything was in the basement that no one ever visited so didn’t know about. Terry who was doing this herself as none of the too busy family would help her but she was retired so she could do it. She sent me pictures and said her and her friend after day 1 were heading out to drink!
That reminds me of a story about my grandparents in their Brooklyn brownstone. My grandmother was an absolute pack rat and when the departed kids bedrooms got too full, she started taking stuff to the basement. After many years, the local fire marshal paid a visit while she was at work, and my retired grandfather was home. He made him clean everything out of the basement which he piled by the curb. He then called the fire marshal back and he came back by and issued an inspection compliance certificate. My grandfather knew him rather well, as my GF was head of the local Knights of Columbus as well as the head of the local Con Ed electricians union. So they went down the block to a bar for a few drinks. Meanwhile Grandma came home from work and saw everything outside, and proceeded to move everything back in before Grandpa got home!
As a sidenote, in his capacities at the KofC and the union, he received dozens of bottles of booze every year at Christmas. Of course Grandma just stashed all of those gift-wrapped bottles in various closets. When she passed on about a year after him, my mother and one uncle found over 800 bottles in the place! They donated them to the KofC bar and got a sizable tax deduction on the estates final income tax. They also found over $100K in cash Christmas bonuses tucked into books and shoeboxes. They ended up getting more than face value because many of the $50 and $100 bills were in mint condition from the 20's-40's.

Good afternoon from Wisconsin. Looks like it wants to snow but we are too warm and the weather guessers have not predicted it. Cleanup outside the train room is done for me. I need to clean out the filters on the vacuum cleaners and thats it. The son comes in tonight. We (terry) invited 40 for dinner at 7 tonight and only 8 said no. All over 18 and we told everyone we head to the airport at 10:30 and all must be gone then. All CAR keys left in the basket by the door. We have 4 high school juniors who will be the chauffeur home in the over drinkers own vehicles if needed. We have 2 chasers to driver the chauffeurs back to the party house. Weather will not be a factor this year.

I really messed up a light weathering job on a reefer yesterday. Stripped it this morning to clean off the pan pastels. I will head there in a few minutes hopefully to complete the process.

Have a great day
TomO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back