Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one of the three loco's that nice Mr Postie brought today, was on $40 but arrived with the motor detached from the chassis, and it's obviously been repaired before, but I don't know if she's worth keeping, fixing and fitting a decoder or returning for a refund, what are your thoughts ?
new2.jpg

This is one of the three loco's that nice Mr Postie brought today, was on $40 but arrived with the motor detached from the chassis, and it's obviously been repaired before, but I don't know if she's worth keeping, fixing and fitting a decoder or returning for a refund, what are your thoughts ?View attachment 137433

It looks like it needs new motor mounts, available from Athearn and some reassembly and it will run like new. That beings said, the black motored Athearns are a noisy bunch, due to the sintered steel wheels and usually out of balance flywheels. Also those motors can draw in excess of an amp under load.
So it depends on what you are after. If you run DC and dont care about noise, fix it and move on.
If you are going to add a decoder, I would recommend a can motor and a set of A-Line flywheels, along with Nickel Silver wheels to make it quiet and with low amp draw.
That's my 2¢
YMMV

It looks like it needs new motor mounts, available from Athearn and some reassembly and it will run like new. That beings said, the black motored Athearns are a noisy bunch, due to the sintered steel wheels and usually out of balance flywheels. Also those motors can draw in excess of an amp under load.
So it depends on what you are after. If you run DC and dont care about noise, fix it and move on.
If you are going to add a decoder, I would recommend a can motor and a set of A-Line flywheels, along with Nickel Silver wheels to make it quiet and with low amp draw.
That's my 2¢
YMMV
I only run DCC, so I'll price it up, but I have a suspicion I wont get the parts in the UK. If not I'll send it back

blood thinners I think is one,so check with a doctor if you can,because this type of advice can be as dangerous as not doing it to some people. so the old adage buyer beware applies.

If you are taking prescription blood thinners, check your nutraceuticals (fancy word for vitamins and other supplements) with your doctor to make sure they won't interfere or require adjusting of blood thinner. The big one I know of is VitK with blood thinners. It counteracts them supposedly. So check. But otherwise, yes, you can up your VitD to very high values (10s of K IU) without much issue. People who live in the sun (life guards etc) get a lot more than you can take easily. I take 25k IU +- daily. Vit C and Zinc. Zinc should be limited to 50 mg a day but for the first month or maybe 2 you can push it to 75 mg.

Here is the abstract for a paper on protocols for C19 that goes into this. https://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002-9343(20)30673-2/fulltext . The main guy who wrote it has other resources where he talks about prophylactic use of VitD/C/Zinc etc. Google it. (Peter McCullough).

As always, if you are on prescription medicines, research them and the NO-NOs for those specific medicines and ask your doctor about issues related to your specific medication and whatever vitamin/mineral/supplement you want. Don't ask if it will help or is good for you or anything like that. Just ask if there is a problem taking Vit-X or mineral Y with your drug Z. Specific yes/no questions. Most medical doctors are not trained or very knowledgable about nutrition, supplements, etc. and will try and pooh-pooh them and steer you to more pharma based chemical medicines. Just ask if your drug Z you are taking is affected negatively by whatever you want to add from a supplement basis.

Last edited:
Good Afternoon All. I think that I am over the worst part, but I am still not feeling 100% after the Covid booster yesterday. May have trouble sleeping tonight as I slept 13 of the last 17 hours. Wife cancelled the "surprise" doctor visit today that she failed to write in her calendar, maybe next week. It's not too important, I think that it is just so the doc can get another billing in to Medicare before the year's end. It's the infectious disease guy, but the deed is already done! If it was a "no go" we needed to know three weeks ago.
I need to go and attend to some of the lighter tasks on the list right now, before I get too far behind.

Afternoon All,

I think I have everything completed in the engine servicing facility with the exception of "little people", vehicles and locomotives. I added 2 light towers and lighting for 3 buildings. I took a bunch of photos, but most are washed out (again). The static grass is still wet but cleaned up. Tonight, we have a family and friends get together. The kids will decorate sugar cookies, the folks that won't be around for Christmas will get their presents and we'll all have finger foods for supper. Tomorrow morning, I have to drive Dad to the VA to pick up supplies (respiratory and diabetic). As of now that's the last medical appointment until the middle of February. :D (that's a Christmas present in itself!)

Thank you everyone for the likes yesterday for my photos.

Lee- Nice looking box cars.

Sherrel- You have a good-looking wife. That UP setup looks impressive, is it their turbine?

Steve- Sorry to hear about your daughter.

Christian- Nice addition.

Ken- Nice photos.

Jerry- Neat crane. I believe Tichy makes a kit for it.

Joe- Have a safe and fun trip.

James- Nice looking cat. The shape of his face reminds me of the larger wild cats.

Troy- The same thing happened to daughters' family when they cruised over Thanksgiving.

Jaz- Great photos.

Guy- Great job on the build.

Willie- I'm glad you're starting to feel better.

20211222_132301.jpg

20211222_132311.jpg

20211222_132326.jpg

20211222_132348.jpg

20211222_132415.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Attachments

• 20211222_132337.jpg
    20211222_132337.jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 77
To be clear... my wife has a double dose of Pfizer, just not the booster.

She'll probably get one. Right now she's grumpy over having to mask on the ship's public spaces. BUT, she's the one who needed a "real vacation" post covid.

I'll remind her again about the booster once we get past Christmas. I'm more worried about a positive, asymptomatic test on one of the four of us getting on the boat. That will derail all four of us since we're in the same "party".

To be clear... my wife has a double dose of Pfizer, just not the booster.

She'll probably get one. Right now she's grumpy over having to mask on the ship's public spaces. BUT, she's the one who needed a "real vacation" post covid.

I'll remind her again about the booster once we get past Christmas. I'm more worried about a positive, asymptomatic test on one of the four of us getting on the boat. That will derail all four of us since we're in the same "party".
I assume everyone going on this cruise has to be vaccinated or they wont be allowed on?

That's my 2¢
YMMV
I'm no expert on these loco's, but would a Mashima motor and work on this loco?

Good Morning All. Clear and 38° today.I cannot stay long as I am having a terrible reaction to the Covid booster yesterday. At least that's what I think it is. Major chills and everything aches but the spot of the jab! Maybe I'll be feeling better later, meanwhile the grocery trek has been postponed.
Hope you get better quick. I was fortunate as barely felt it.

TomO
I can never get tired of this one Tom
Thank you Lee. This has been such a goofy 21 months that I smile and chuckle every time I see it. Then I think, boy the world and life has really changed. Whoever created that meme or cartoon or whatever that is called is so enlightened in this day and age. Merry Christmas

TomO

Yes. NCL is the line, and they require vaccination. The caveat was that allowed for maskless cruising on the ship. (Ports subject to local restrictions).

But, Omicron showed up. And our cruise falls barely before the NEW must-mask order is set to expire.
Tough call Troy. I know you and the better 1/2 love the cruises based on your writing here. I tend to be cautious but life is getting really really boring be super cautious. The problem I see is if the ship gets hit with the virus do that let you get off at the next port. Good luck on the decision. Merry Christmas

TomO

Afternoon All,

I think I have everything completed in the engine servicing facility with the exception of "little people", vehicles and locomotives. I added 2 light towers and lighting for 3 buildings. I took a bunch of photos, but most are washed out (again). The static grass is still wet but cleaned up. Tonight, we have a family and friends get together. The kids will decorate sugar cookies, the folks that won't be around for Christmas will get their presents and we'll all have finger foods for supper. Tomorrow morning, I have to drive Dad to the VA to pick up supplies (respiratory and diabetic). As of now that's the last medical appointment until the middle of February. :D (that's a Christmas present in itself!)

Thank you everyone for the likes yesterday for my photos.

Lee- Nice looking box cars.

Sherrel- You have a good-looking wife. That UP setup looks impressive, is it their turbine?

Steve- Sorry to hear about your daughter.

Christian- Nice addition.

Ken- Nice photos.

Jerry- Neat crane. I believe Tichy makes a kit for it.

Joe- Have a safe and fun trip.

James- Nice looking cat. The shape of his face reminds me of the larger wild cats.

Troy- The same thing happened to daughters' family when they cruised over Thanksgiving.

Jaz- Great photos.

Guy- Great job on the build.

Willie- I'm glad you're starting to feel better.

View attachment 137447

View attachment 137448

View attachment 137449

View attachment 137452

View attachment 137453

I hope everyone has a good night.
Looks great!!! I love seeing your guy’s and gal’s layouts, very cool👍

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back