Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLIII

Ken, ... How old is your system?
Joe,

I have to guess it's 16 or 17 years. When we bought the house in 2000 it was "about 2 years old" according to our hired home inspector. I'm sure it needs to be replaced, but with kids in college I don't have an extra $10,000 to invest in new HVAC infrastructure. But I do have a home warranty policy that promises to replace the system if they can't repair it...

Gotta watch those home warranties. Many have clauses that can prevent the replacement/repair of some things.

Nothing much going on this evening. Not much chance of doing any star gazing tonight. If you don't have have much to do maybe you can answer a few easy questions for me.

#1 A butcher working in a meat market stands five feet two inches and wears size thirteen shoes. What does he weigh?

#2 How many ridges are on the edge of a dime?

#3 You're in a foot race. You just passed the runner who was in second place. What place are you in now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta watch those home warranties. Many have clauses that can prevent the replacement/repair of some things.

Nothing much going on this evening. Not much chance of doing any star gazing tonight. If you don't have have much to do maybe you can answer a few easy questions for me.

#1 A butcher working in a meat market stands five feet two inches and wears size thirteen shoes. What does he weigh?

#2 How many ridges are on the edge of a dime?

#3 You're in a foot race. You just passed the runner who was in second place. What place are you in now?
Number one and number three are both easy. I'm sure number two is, as well, but I'm not going to try figuring it out. Today was one of those days again, in addition to the other stuff mentioned.
Curt, congratulations on being gainfully unemployed.

Cuts of meat for his customers

(I cheated, I found the answer in a google search. I won't say it here in case somebody else already knows it.)

Second.

Gee Ken, if you aint no fart smeller,,,,I means smart feller! :rolleyes: I dont understand one thing,,,,,if you're do smart, whats the problem with ballasting? :confused: Are you going to paint the rails 1st???

Curt, glad your last day went so well,,,,whatcha gonna do tomorrow?:confused:

Last 2 days have been a killer at work. Nonstop phone calls! Seems the IDIOTS in Detroit sent letters out to a few million folks last month, saying there was an upcoming recall on their cars. It was a "phased" mailing,,only so many a week. They were advised to keep the letters, and watch for the 2nd letter announcing parts. That was kinda ok. Now they have sent a 2nd letter (to everybody and their Momma) announcing parts are here, see your dealer......Guess what,,we dont have parts yet!!! :eek: Now we have a waiting list of over 100 whizzed off customers waiting our initial 30 vehicle parts shipment! :eek:

If there is a special place in heaven for the mentally challenged, it must be full of GM (And Ford & Chrysler) executives! :rolleyes: No wonder the rest of the world is kicking our asses!

Ok,,Rant over,,,,,have a nice day!:D

You really expect me to count them with these eyes?? Really? This much I do know however. a Quarter has exactly 1 more ridge than a dime!:rolleyes:

Exactly right! I had to look it up. I heard the question about the dime on a game show yesterday.

Time for me to call it a night. Nice to see my questions are getting some attention. I'll be signing in at the hospital at or before 10:30 tomorrow morning. With any luck I should be back home later in the day.

See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN1157.jpg

DSCN1146.jpg

DSCN6506.jpg

BUNN_COFFEE.png

Good Morning!

It's Wed 8/27/14

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

A few scattered showers with a high of 86. Nothing planned for today.

trainwreck.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Morning All,

Just ate breakfast and am doing a load of laundry so I can get all my uniform stuff together for their turn in tomorrow. As several people have noted I have some great co-workers and they are what I am going to miss most.

Jeff- I wish you the best at the doctor today. You deserve a break for a change.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Last 2 days have been a killer at work. Nonstop phone calls! Seems the IDIOTS in Detroit sent letters out to a few million folks last month, saying there was an upcoming recall on their cars. It was a "phased" mailing,,only so many a week. They were advised to keep the letters, and watch for the 2nd letter announcing parts. That was kinda ok. Now they have sent a 2nd letter (to everybody and their Momma) announcing parts are here, see your dealer......Guess what,,we dont have parts yet!!! :eek: Now we have a waiting list of over 100 whizzed off customers waiting our initial 30 vehicle parts shipment! :eek:

:D

Got one of those "urgent" letters almost a month ago, called the dealer for appointment, learned the parts won't be available until after Labor Day at the earliest. The urgency!!!!! (IMHO) is generated by the legal people who want to cover their corporate butts. This is not being handled very well.

Joe

Evening All,

Sure is quiet here today. Nothing much happening this way. It was another hot day with no rain. I should be officially be retired by 10:00 tomorrow morning. I really felt strange not going into work today.

Jeff- I am worried about you since you have not posted today.

Here is a picture from yesterday. The loco is a "American" 4-4-0 that was bought from a company in Mexico in the early 70's.

20140826_082355_zps52a34a8b.png

Hope everyone has a good night.

Howdy

I am pleased to say the celebration of my mother's 95th birthday party in Alabama went very well. She received about 75 birthday cards. There were 2 parties. One was after church on Sunday. the other was on Monday (her birthday) at the senior home. Mom delighted everybody with he remarkable piano playing. I recorded a small amount of the piano playing on my cell phone, but I don't know how to post it here. On Monday evening, the celebrations had concluded, and I walked her down the long hall to her apartment in her senior center. All of the way to her place, she was humming some of her favorite songs. My 95 year old Mom is happy. That is such a blessing!

Yesterday morning, Mom and I had breakfast together, and then said out goodbyes. Next I went to the model train store in Pelham. AL. I met Carey (CJCrescent) who posts in this forum. We had a good visit. He took me to his friend's house (Scott) who has a nice CB&Q layout. We also spent time watching NS trains at one of his favorite railfanning sites. .... Then I drove home to KY. Shelley wasn't with me because she was needed in Michigan with family stuff going on there.

My brother-in-law of Michigan is back in the hospital as of today. He had a quadruple bi-pass operation on his heart about 3 weeks ago

Happy Model Railroading

Garry- I am glad your trip went well and your Mom is happy. I am sorry to hear about your BIL. I will say prayers for him.

Hi Garry. Glad things went very well in 'bamma, that your mom is doing well. Sorry to hear your BIL is having complications. Pray everything goes well in Michigan.
Curt, take it from me, you will quickly settle in to retirement. Don't look back :rolleyes:. Jeffrey went to the Docs today, right? Hope all is well

Today, got off to a good start, I was able to get a few chores done, then I had to repaint a wall, I painted last week. The paint soaked in more than I expected, and didn't look as good as the rest of the walls. Once that was finished, I masked the stairway, and sanded and prepped the baseboard and trim. I'm leaving the old stair rails in place, rather than replace them. Some sanding and high gloss white paint will visually improve them as much as a new one, without the excess cost and work. After dinner, I painted the first portion. One coat will not cover.

Well, it's time to run. Everyone have a good evening

joe

Good late afternoon everyone,

It's fairly warm again, Per WW it's 95.4 °F - Feels Like 94 °F going for a high of 96 °F and a low of 65 °F. The Hum-i-dity is 26%.

Garry, That warms my heart to hear your Mom is doing so well and happy in the rest home and that you had a good time with her, God bless you both.

Ken, ballasting can be a bit of a pain I guess, it been quite a while since I got to doing any of that but when I did I kept mine light to non-existent but than again I'm running older lighter branch line stuff and ballast often just sunk in the mud as no real road bed was ever laid down to much of an extent .
What I always found teadyous was going back with an eye dropper and placing a drop or two between the ties. As a fore thought I purchased the larger collapsible squeeze bottles, and will try that out with a mixture of 2 parts water to one part of white glue, I never tried to be very exact though, and a few drops of dish washing detergent as a wetting agent to allow things to evenly flow in and around the ballast as applied. It also works great for tacking down grass and small bushes, but I bet WS Hobby Tack would also be great for bushes, trees etc you might want to change later on to vary the appearance of your scenery after a while such as a bush dying or new growth that's sprouted. It also works great to put on the feet of the little folk and stick them to a clean area so you can change them later. I use the flat heads of the dry wall screws I use to hold the sound board down as a place to stand a bum walking along the track here and there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff- I am worried about you since you have not posted today. ...

Curt, I seem to remember he said something about having his gall bladder removed. My wife had to have hers removed in 2004, and she was in the hospital for a few days.

Gary - I'm glad your mom is happy at that age. That was not the case with my late MIL, sadly; she had serious dementia [not Alzeimer's] and was begging for the Good Lord to take her, which finally happened at 92.

I should be getting my order of Buck's Ballast within the next few days. Hopefully since it is actual stone and not walnut shells, it won't float to the top of the water/glue mixture like the other stuff did.

Here is a picture from yesterday. The loco is a "American" 4-4-0 that was bought from a company in Mexico in the early 70's.

20140826_082355_zps52a34a8b.png

Say Curt, Am I safe to assume that you as the engineer?
I think I remember you saying they arranged for you to take the throttle before?

With the name on the side of the Cab, is there some connection between Roy Disney and Walt Disney?

Great shot anyway!

Coffee-pouring-Copy.png

Good Morning!

It's Thu 8/28/14

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

Mostly dry with a high of 86. I'll be going over to the club today..

trainwreck.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Back