Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLIII

Good morning from south east Baltimore.

How bout dem O's hon!

Go to war miss Agnes, Aint the beer cold!

I bet Wild Bill and Earl Weaver are in heaven smiling down on this team!

I went to MB Klein yesterday, but unfortunately I did not see anyone I knew or knew me from the forum. I really have to get out more.

I got my Lionel 990 Legacy Command Set and I am very proud of myself because despite browsing around and drooling over all the fantastic stuff I did not buy anything other then what I had already ordered, a first for me!

I love my Lionel, but man oh man are there some great HO things and the prices are just amazing!

Have a great day everyone!

Good Morning, Happy Friday! Today's significance is that traditionally, by the Labor Day weekend, the locals are completely fed up with the summer visitors and tourists. After this weekend, the locals reclaim the beaches. The traffic patterns change, and gas and grocery prices drop more in line with the rest of the state.

For me, today means cut the lawn. Then I get to paint some more.

Today, it's nice and cool, in the low 60s while it will warm up some over the weekend, no one expects rain to Sunday night, at the earliest.

Have a good day.

Joe

Hey Jeffery,

I have been meaning to ask you and Donkey Kong reminds me, have you ever worked on the Atari 2600? I would love to have one, but I don't know if its something that can be easily repaired if need be. Also do you know anything about the game cartridges? As far as how long they can last?

I hope you are feeling good and for the record I doubt any one wonders when you will shut up, I know I am always glad to read your thoughts and about your day even though I don't always post on this thread. I do read it regularly and enjoy your art and your work on the old equipment.

I also have been following along with you and your fathers quest to get on the internet. I am trying to talk my Mom into trying it I think she will love it too.

How bout dem O's hon!

Up by 7 games, this late in the season, how bout that. The Ravens look pretty good too. 4-0 pre season. Love wearing my O's gear, and watching the looks of disdain from Yankees fans. Heh, heh! This may be a banner year! Gotta love it.

Joe

Hey Jeffery,

I have been meaning to ask you and Donkey Kong reminds me, have you ever worked on the Atari 2600? I would love to have one, but I don't know if its something that can be easily repaired if need be. Also do you know anything about the game cartridges? As far as how long they can last?

The 2600 system was very simple. Their quality was a hit and miss issue. You either got a good one or a bad one. The quality issues of the cartridges generally followed the same rule. It either worked or it didn't. I had two Atari game systems back in the 80's. A 2600 and a 5200. The games were pretty much interchangeable. I had ninety cartridges in all. Some games were intentionally designed never to be won. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back was one of these. The game just keeps repeating the same levels over and over. No matter what you do you keep getting your butt slammed into the ice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning. It's 89° with 86% humidity. The high will be 92°. Cloudy with a small chance of thunderstorms.
condmc-1.jpg
with
cond20.jpg

I have a doctors appointment this afternoon. Other than that I'm just waiting on the mail. I have a package of two Apple drive controller cards coming in today. The first order of business will be to test them. That task will fall to my //e, Diana #5. The test is simple. Plug a card into a slot on the mother board, hook a drive up to it then reboot the system from that slot. If it works the card goes into the parts drawer. If it doesn't work it gets marked as defective and the trash can gets a little heavier.

Other than that I have no plans today.

DSCN6773.jpg

DSCN6782.jpg

Good morning.

Curt ... I read what your coworkers did for you. Nice. ... Getting up at 6:00 am still. Perhaps that will change.

Been to the docs office and back home again. I have an appointment to go back there on Sept 8th. Got then package with the two drive cards this morning. I just tested them and they both work great. So they both will go into the parts drawer.

DSCN6786.jpg

DSCN6780.jpg

Good afternoon, It's a hot one, WW says 97.0 °F which is the High for today - Feels Like 94 °F with Humidity of 22% and winds of 4.2 from the West. The night time low should be 67.0 °F.

By the time I got down to take a look at the water line leak from the well this morning it was already about 10:00 Am and getting a bit fairly warm. I found that the leak is from the old leak site from a couple of years ago that seemed to seal itself up. I had to dig down about 14 to 16" back then and even dug out a drainage ditch but the hole is up on a bank about three feet high and about 1.5 feet back from the edge and about the only convenient way to work on the line at the bottom is to dig the away the 1.5' of very hard dirt in front of hole that forms the bank.

I started this morning to dig away the obstructing edge but realized it was going to be quite a job so I'm hoping I can get my neighbor to come over with his fairly large Case tractor and back-hoe to move the dirt edge for me so I can easily get in to fix the leak properly. I fixed it temporarily about two years ago but I was almost falling in the hole trying to reach the line then. Oh, the fun and joy of country life.

On the RR scene, yesterday morning before I knew of the water situation I did manage to get the longer 20" radius sub-roadbed OSB board cut and screwed in place on the tie plate as well as cutting the sound board road bed so I'm ready to start extending the main line again once I get the water line fixed.

>A day without water was too much so I again started the well to water the grass and a bit later take a shower if everything holds. I somewhat forgot that around this time of year the incomming water strata for the well slows down so that has some bearing on why my supply gets low. All the more reason to get the leak fixed but it's just too darn hot and the 3' to 4' bank width needs to be lessened in height.<

Hope your day is going good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good evening. It's a balmy 77° here with 91% humidity. Showers and thunderstorms are likely. 70% chance. Plugged in my tablet and video camera so they can both charge.

When I came home today I went over to how my neighbor, the fire fighter is doing with his bathroom remodel. I stepped onto the back porch just in time to hear him find his thumb with the hammer, multiple times. He let go with a string of expletives that would crumble the facade of any of the local churches. There's no shortage of those here. I browsed through the phone book one day and found nearly two hundred churches and I wasn't even looking hard. From what I gathered from the neighbor he was planning on installing the water heater and the tub today. I wished him good luck and went on my merry way.

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

Image1-1.jpg

Does something at the left side of this photo look familiar?
Image22.jpg

How bout dem O's hon!

I went to MB Klein yesterday, but unfortunately I did not see anyone I knew or knew me from the forum. I really have to get out more.

I got my Lionel 990 Legacy Command Set and I am very proud of myself because despite browsing around and drooling over all the fantastic stuff I did not buy anything other then what I had already ordered, a first for me!

I love my Lionel, but man oh man are there some great HO things and the prices are just amazing!

Have a great day everyone!

Bru, wasn't there because a) w*rk and b) I get better deals at the Moose Caboose. Out of the 5 LHS's I frequent, I get there less because of the drive. Of course, If I go to the Outback in Hunt Valley with SWMBO, she will let me slip down to MBK for a little bit!:rolleyes:

DavidYes that is me in the loco.

I meant to ask prior, 'Did you get to take the throttle and drive for a while'? I hope so, that would really be rather neat.

When I ballast I use W/S Gray Med Blend. I use a ballast spreader then fine tune it with a paint brush. I spray it heavily with ISO, then use the glue mix (1 part water/1 part ISO/1 part white glue). Using the glue I use a eye dropper and drip the glue between the rails and then down the bottom edges (to help hold it) then I do the shoulders. This method seems to work for me.

Ok Curt, what is ISO, Isopropyl Alcohol I imagine your refering to. I've heard of that but never tried it. Glad to also read on your later post your making progress on your layout.

COFFEE_REFILL.png

Good Morning!

It's Sat 8/30/14

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

Some rain with a high of 84. I'll be going to a Doobie Brothers concert tonight.

trainwreck.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Good morning everyone!

Hey Joe! I love it!!! You know how us Baltimoreans love to hate the Yankees! Barring a miracle we won't even have to face the Yankees in the playoffs!

I don't want to get over confident, I remember 1974 when the red sox had an 8 game lead over the Birds in late August, but the Yankees don't have starters like Palmer. McNally, Cuellar and Grimsley! They pitched 5 straight shutouts down the stretch. I doubt that will happen again, but you never know! GO O's!!!

Hey Jeffery! Thank you for the information about the Atari, I had a feeling you would be my go to guy for information about it. I remember buying the "empire strikes back" the day it was first released at a little, long gone, shop. Almost $20 if I remember right, a lot of money then. Seems like none of the games based on movies were good unless you include Pitfall. I was and still am a sports nut and they are my favorite games Mattel had the best baseball game for the Atari. Thanks again and I think I will look for a 2600 and take a chance, the games were simple, but fun! Have you tried the PS3? I love it and after a year or 2 I will get the PS4. Madden football is so realistic its almost scary! I never invest in latest technology, let them work out some bugs first. Although, Now that I think of it, weren't the first Atari 2600s built in America and the best ever made? I read that were built like a tank. I think they are collectors items now.

Hey Karl! Well I doubt I will see you at MB Klein, dinner time is way past my window to go out I am a morning person, I wish they would open up at 4am, but that is not going to happen. I never heard of the moose caboose I will have to look that up. I will catch up with you at one of the shows, if I get my broken down butt up and go that is!

Have a great holiday weekend everybody!!!

Good Morning,

Thanks Bill for the coffee. Right now I am the only one up in the house. MOH had a nice small get together last night with her friends, although some of the stories they told about her boss surprised me she had not decided to retired earlier. She does not tolerate BS very well.

I don't mind reading or hearing about gaming (another hobby) but for some reason when I try to play a computer game I get bored very quickly. On the other hand I enjoy playing cards and actual games (maybe it's the interaction with people that I enjoy most).

David- No I was not able to drive the train.:( I imagine there were training and liability issues. It would of been awesome though. I got the double turnout in place with the 4 track leads hooked up. I still need to do some more cork roadbed work and hook it up electrically. The only testing I have done is pushing a passenger car through all the variations. I also put in ground throws instead of tortoises. In the past I have had issues with them so I removed the tortoises that I had. Also, since I am in the track work mode there is a small section of track that needs replaced in another location that I will do today or tomorrow. I will post a picture later.

Hope everybody has a good day.

Greetings. Weather here is the same as Terry's, but five degrees lower. Today is lawn mowing day - it might be my last opportunity this weekend since the weather guessers are predicting on-and-off rain for tomorrow and Labor Day.

Louis - speaking of the O's, MOH and I and a friend of hers will be in Camden Yards to see them live tonite against the Twins, hope the winning streak continues!

On the mrr front: The Bucks Ballast I ordered arrived yesterday, sooner than I expected, but I haven't started applying it yet because I still need to get some ISO. In the meantime I've started making up the manifests and switch lists for the next op session, using the JMRI Operations software. I do this so infrequently that I always forget some of the minor things that can cause errors when I try to build trains, so I have to do a few hours of trial-and-error before I finally get it figured out. But once I do, it becomes fun - but still tedious. I have to sequence the creation and termination of the virtual trains just right when I print the op documents, so the expected cars will be in the origin yards when I build the later trains.

Hope you all have a great day and enjoy the rest of the long weekend!

David .... Fixing the water leak sounds like a lot of work.

Ken ... Enjoy the ball game. Hope you like the results.

Carey ... Again, it was good meeting you in AL. The stuff I got at the LHS has yet to be moved into the layout room. Too busy here.

I just got home from AL Tuesday night, and now I'm getting ready to go to Michigan driving through Ohio. ... I hope to see all 6 grandkids who live in Cincinnati, Detroit, and Grand Rapids (2 in each location). I plan to leave in a few days.

Good morning all. 66°, and sunny right now, going to 80°.

Finally, a pennant race I can get in to. 9-1 over the Twins last night, I love it. I just wish I could get more of the O's on TV.

Speaking of lawns, I did mine yesterday, I even edged the sidewalk and driveway. :rolleyes: That chore is out of the way until next Friday.

Good luck with the ballast, Ken. Not my favorite past time.

There's a load of NCAA football games on this weekend.

Oldest son was in Romania early this morning, Next stop Ireland, then probably Newfoundland then home Ft. Campbell. He has been in some exotic locations.

Have a great weekend.

Joe

Hey Jeffery! Thank you for the information about the Atari, I had a feeling you would be my go to guy for information about it. I remember buying the "empire strikes back" the day it was first released at a little, long gone, shop. Almost $20 if I remember right, a lot of money then. Seems like none of the games based on movies were good unless you include Pitfall. I was and still am a sports nut and they are my favorite games Mattel had the best baseball game for the Atari. Thanks again and I think I will look for a 2600 and take a chance, the games were simple, but fun! Have you tried the PS3? I love it and after a year or 2 I will get the PS4. Madden football is so realistic its almost scary! I never invest in latest technology, let them work out some bugs first. Although, Now that I think of it, weren't the first Atari 2600s built in America and the best ever made? I read that were built like a tank. I think they are collectors items now.

I tried a PS3 at one time and didn't think much of it. Yes, the early production 2600's were well made. One in excellent working condition now can fetch a good price from a collector.

Back