Coffee Shop Twenty is now open fer business

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last couple of days I've been hurting. The charco in my foot has moved up to my ankle and is doing it's thing. As a result I have deep bone pain (the only pain I can feel in my feet) and a low grade fever. Nothing serious but it's hard to walk. If I'm not on for some time it's most likely because I'm in bed. It hurts just to move my foot.

The last couple of days I've been hurting. The charco in my foot has moved up to my ankle and is doing it's thing. ...
Jeff - What exactly is this "charco" thing your talking about? Whatever it is, it doesn't sound good - hope it resolves quickly!:(

Jim, I guess you can sort of identify with the author of Blue Highways - weren't you doing the same thing in your RV until you got 'stuck' in Alabama? ;)

As with all Tuesdays, I left the office a few hours early today so I had some extra time to attack the layout rebuild project. I packed away as many freight cars as I had boxes to fit them into. Then I forced myself to start disassembling the two signature structures of my steel works - the blast furnace and the basic oxygen mill. I say "forced", because it's painful to knock down something you put lot of time into and your not sure exactly when you'll get to rebuild it. I didn't have any boxes to put the pieces into, but at least I got the process started. There's no turning back now!

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e182/CSX_road_slug/DismantlingForRebuild/Dismantling01a_sm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff - What exactly is this "charco" thing your talking about? Whatever it is, it doesn't sound good - hope it resolves quickly!:(
Charcot foot is a bad complication of diabetes. It nearly always results in disability and complications can result in loss of the limb and death. Here are a few links on it. I hope you have a strong stomach.

http://www.podiatrychannel.com/charcotfoot/index.shtml

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20011101/1591.html

http://www.epodiatry.com/charcot-foot.htm

http://www.foot-pain-explained.com/Charcot_foot.html

I feel for you Jeffery. I went to bed at midnight and woke up with pain in both shoulders. I hung the cabinets I made in our utility room after Glendia got home from work at 9:30 last nite. Woke up at 1:30AM took a couple of 500mg tylenol and put the heating pad on my right shoulder and slept int he recliner till 5AM. Went back to bed and got up to get ready for work at 6:45. This has not been a very pleasant day for me at all yawning and watery eyes all day long. Now it is bed time again and I am wide awake. Oh well as soon as my head hits the pillow I will be out for the duration I hope.

I feel for you Jeffery. I went to bed at midnight and woke up with pain in both shoulders. I hung the cabinets I made in our utility room after Glendia got home from work at 9:30 last nite. Woke up at 1:30AM took a couple of 500mg tylenol and put the heating pad on my right shoulder and slept int he recliner till 5AM. Went back to bed and got up to get ready for work at 6:45. This has not been a very pleasant day for me at all yawning and watery eyes all day long. Now it is bed time again and I am wide awake. Oh well as soon as my head hits the pillow I will be out for the duration I hope.
That sounds like w*$k! The kind of things I did before before I retired 5 years ago, though I spent my days cutting, sanding, and staining wood for making desks, cabinets, office furniture, etc. I also built some of the aforementioned items all the way from wood sheets to assembled product.

I was waiting on my antibiotics and iv supplies to be delivered earlier. The delivery driver called and said he was running late due to a tractor-trailer turning over in Lake Charles. Anyone who has worked such a scene knows the major traffic problem is seldom caused by the wreck but rather by the unending line of rubber neckers who just have to slow to a crawl and gawk at the spectacle. After he gets here I'm going to take some pain killers (Lortab for the bone pain and Lyrica for the nerve pain) and go to bed. Maybe I'll get some sleep tonight. My sister and her husband will get home around midnight so I won't have to go over in the morning to feed the menagerie . I'll actually be able to sleep in a bit. Now that the supplies have arrived and have been stored away in the fridge, I'm outta here..

Good night.

My gosh Jeffery, I read the literature on the links you posted. I still don't know how you handle or live with it. My wife has diabetes (type 1) and Multiple sclerosis and I thought she had it bad, but man you're dealing with a lot worse IMHO. Other than the medication for the pain is there any hope for relief because that sounds quite dangerous in regards to serious injury without even feeling it. I do hope they are doing research for a cure

Cheers
Willis

Thank you, Tom. His obituary is at http://www.petaluma360.com/article/20091123/COMMUNITY/911249905/1378/COMMUNITY07?Title=Dennis-DeWitt. The newspaper called me to do a short interview about what I remembered about him. As usual, they did a poor job of adding all the things I said, but you can tell from the other comments he was guy who people truly loved and respected. What was shocking was his picture. I haven't seen him since 2004, when he attended my late wife's memorial service. The picture must have been taken when he was fighting the cancer because he looks positively awful compared to what he used to look like. I wish I would have known how sick he was so I could have visited with him one more time. :(

Jeffrey, I really do feel for you. All my little aches and pains are nothing compared to what you have to put up with. Just chow down on those loratabs. It won't relieve all the pain but at least you won't give a darn and be able to sleep.

Ken, indeed, I was living on the road for about a year and a half. I really enjoyed it but I now know it probably wouldn't have been good for me in the long run. You need to have some roots and be around people who can support you when times get tough. I remember when I tore down my last layout. I was enough to bring tears to my eyes. At least yours will get rebuilt and I'm sure will be better than ever when you're done. I know it's tough to tear apart what you worked so hard to put together though.

Larry, it's hard to admit, but old age is catching up to all of us. Your body protests when you push it too hard. A man just has to know his limits. :)

Willis, I didn't know your wife has MS and I'm sorry to hear it. It's also a tough disease to live with. I wish we'd take some of this money we keep handing out to people and corporations that don't deserve it and spend it trying to cure things like diabetes and MS. :mad:

Dianna had to pick up a "few" more things at the grocery store for our Thanksgiving meal. She said it would only take a few minutes and then we could stop at our favorite Mexican restaurant for dinner. Hah! I should have known better. An hour later and $101 poorer, we finally got to eat. I knew I was in trouble when she picked up the store ad as soon as she got in the door. :D We had a few less clouds today and I'm hoping for a sunny, relatively warm day tomorrow so I can get the outside Christams decorations done.

Good morning folks

It was 46 F and very misty this morning on the way to the office. High today will be 55 F.

Last night we had parent-teacher conferences. They went well. My son has to be careful about making sure he hands in homework on time.

My Walthers December flier came and my son commandeered it. He went through it and circled what he wants for Christmas. We spent some of the evening discussing his plans for the layout he is going to build.

This afternoon begins the preliminaries for tomorrow. We start making the homemade from scratch stuffing. We will bake a couple of pies and perhaps another desert. The bird will get cleaned and seasoned.

After dinner tomorrow the Christmas decorating will begin. This year we have a new cat to train. My son is in charge of under the tree and he has grandiose plans. I told him he needs to check with the cat first. I think the Lionel trains could make a reappearance since they are sturdier and big enough to “chase” the cat.

We will see if I get any train time this weekend.

I hope everybody has a good day and a HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Good Morning--

I've got dull dull dull and rain be rainin' up here--anybody want some o' this? Please?

Anyhooooo---had some HD things to take care of this morning so I's be on not so much right now----

Jeff Once I read through the stuff you posted Audrey was like---YOU TAKE CARE OF ANY PAIN THERE!! et cetera, et cetera---Myself, I'd be a little ball by now--:eek::eek:

Gotta get some of the decorations out'n the closets again---

Have a good'un:):)

Spent a few hours over at my sister's place watching she and her husband move furniture to make room for the holidays. I mostly stayed out of the way and watched but I also lent a hand where needed. Wish I could have done more but my meds really drag me down.

Looks like my son volunteered us to take him and a friend of his to the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania on Friday. His friend is interested in trains and has HO trains of his own. My son and him run the trains on my layout. His friend has never been to the museum and apparently this is something they have been cooking up for a while.

I guess a Black Friday in Strasburg at the RR Museum is better than a day at the mall or department store.:D We also have a pass for the Choo Choo Barn so we will probably hit there.

Early this evening I hooked up the antibiotics and I got colder than ever, so much so I went into chills and was shivering so badly I could mix a drink by just holding the glass. I'll be glad when this is over. I didn't dare work on anything.

Evening, everyone.

Jeffrey, are these the same antibiotics you've been on or something different? Getting chills can be the sign of an allergic reaction. If that continues, I'd contact your doctor and let him know. I sure hope you're over this soon.

Tom, Black Friday at any place but a mall sounds like a grand idea to me. Id much rather go to a railroad musem and stop at a hobby shop than get trampled to death at Walmart. :eek:

Barry, you need to move south. We had a nice, sunny day, with a high of 71. We may get a little colder over the next few days but highs should still be near 60.

Got more bad news today. Mike Meese, who was the chief investigator on the Polly Klaas case, died yesterday after a three week bout with pancreatic cancer. He was only 55. :( Mike was the one who got Richard Allen Davis to finally tell us where he dumped Polly's body. He was another good cop and nice guy that will be missed by his community and all who knew him. There was something about that case that seems to have left the people involved prone to cancer, heart attacks, and strokes. I think the body can only take so much stress before it rebels, even years later. I'm starting to feel lucky I'm still alive.

I got all the outside Christmas decorations up outside today. I think I tore what little of my meniscus remained in my right knee doing so. I've taken three vicoprofens since this afternoon and it's still killing me. I hate getting old. Dianna spent the day making a nice feast of mac and cheese, pecan pie, sweet potato casserole, and green beans. The turkey goes in the oven in the morning. The girls with their respective boyfriends will be over so it should be a nice family gathering. I could use some cheering up.

Here's wishing everyone a happy and healthy Thanksgiving, with lot of food and nice afternoon nap. :)

Hello to everyone, it been quite awhile since I posted but wanted to wish everyone a Very Good and Joyous Thanks Giving!!

Early this evening I hooked up the antibiotics and I got colder than ever, so much so I went into chills and was shivering so badly I could mix a drink by just holding the glass. I'll be glad when this is over. I didn't dare work on anything.

Say Jeffrey,

There are a couple of things that hit me about your getting the chills after taking the antibiotics and your mentioning about your feeling weak in your prior post.

1st It could well be you have some kind of infection the antibotic isn't killing off, I've seen this in the hospital where they have to switch antibiotic to a different/stronger one, or possibly like Jim says an alergic reaction to the antibiotic? You should definitely check it out with your Dr or pharmasist. Also there are sites on-line that offer you the chance to input all your meds to check if there might be an adverse reaction to various drug interreactions.

2nd. Whenever a person is taking antibiotics, especially someone who is Diabetic, it is very important for them to also take Acidophilus to help put back the good germs in your system that the antibiotics kills off. Just be sure to take them several hours after taking the antibiotic or a couple of hours before so as not to interfear with the purpose of the antibiotic.

Again, check with your Dr or pharmasist to be safe and when to take it.

This will help to build your system back up and replace the good germs it needs. In fact I was told, by a licensed health care professional, that even when a person is through taking the antibiotics they should still take the Acidophilus for an additional 30 days to help build your system back up!

Also, when you have an infection this will throw your blood gluose level off so you may need to adjust your insulin. Again check with your Dr or pharmasist.

Hope this helps so you get your strength back.

Jeffrey, are these the same antibiotics you've been on or something different? Getting chills can be the sign of an allergic reaction. If that continues, I'd contact your doctor and let him know. I sure hope you're over this soon.
I've been on this stuff for a while now. It gives me chills because it has to be kept cold. I let it sit out for up to an hour before use but it's still cold when it hits my heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back