Coffee Shop Twenty is now open fer business

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim Rear end collisions are going to happen, it's just a matter of when. We have reflective chevrons right up the rear panels of our machines with flashing blues and reds. We assume a 30 degree stand off position as well so any headlights reflect light off the side reflective panels as well. but you still get half baked drivers who still don't see you, it's amazing just how many drivers have really bad uncorrected eyesight as well. NOISE, we have a Whelan siren with Hi-Lo and Wail, we also have two tone airhorn sirens. LIGHTS, we have four rotaries with halogen bulbs up front, the outer two rotate 360 degrees and the inner two point forwards and occilate through about 40 degrees left and right. The rear two rotaries also occilate side to side only. We also have some halogen bulb powered blues in the grill. All the new fire appliances have tripple flash strobe lighting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning everyone.

We're headed for a heat wave! I guess it's suppose to be down right balmy for a while. Balmy being above zero!

Due to wedding fashion shows, my weekends are shot until the end of the month. Oh well, when the boss has more money it makes my life easier. NO modeling this weekend, but I hope to resume on Tuesday. We'll see if my wife finds something else for me to do.:rolleyes:

I can't believe some of you southern boys are getting near the same temperature as us.:eek: That just doesn't seem right. We have plows and salt trucks, parkas and Fury hats. Well, skip the fury hats, but you get what I mean. Send the cold back to us and we'll take care of complaining about it!

I'm off to work now. Have a great day everyone.

Good morning folks

It was 20 F as I headed out this morning. High will be 23 F.

The temperatures are an improvement over what I experienced over the weekend. My son and I survived his Winter Survival camping this weekend. The encampment began Saturday before dawn and lasted until lunch time on Sunday. On Saturday we had a high of 26 F at the campsite. Our overnight low was 12 F. I was nice and warm in the sleeping bag but once I had to get out of it; it was a different story. It seemed like at one point the campfire couldn’t keep us warm enough. At dinner we had steak and baked potatoes. In the time it took to walk the 10 yards from the kitchen area to sitting area the meat went from steaming hot to lukewarm and in a few bites the meat was cold. The green beans didn’t last that long. The potato stayed warm few a few minutes. We woke up to all the water jugs being frozen along with the water supply for the park. Apparently the supply hoses were not properly secured for the night and froze. My Gatorade that I left out in the tent was frozen solid at 6:30 AM. My son’s troop came in fourth place in the competition. They did well in the uniform inspection, and campsite site inspection, but not so well in the skills competition. Despite the cold my son had a good time.

I spent Sunday afternoon and evening trying to recover. My left knee locked up and gave me a difficult time to bend it. I was walking around the house like Frankenstein’s monster. My wife joked that my knee literally froze. After a nice long hot shower it seemed to loosen up and this morning it was a little stiff.

My son informed me that the next merit badge he wants to work on is the Railroading badge. He says that he wants to do the rail fanning option instead of the modeling.

I am late getting this posted because once again I walked into firestorm at work. So that the half hour or so that I have before work starts was used to help put out some of the fires. I am now forcing myself to do something else so I can maintain my composure and sanity.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Is your son in the boyscout ?

Yes. Hes crossed over in April. He earned hisTenderfoot last month and is hoping to get 2nd Class over the next couple of months.

Summer camp went a long way to covering most of his rank advancement for Tenderfoot, 2nd Class, and 1st Class.

It's 45 here now. Nice weather considering what we've been having lately. Took the car to the shop this morning and the brakes failed for a few seconds along the way. The mechanic just checked them out and they're working perfectly whereupon I informed him they were perfectly before and after both recent failures. Something is causing it and it has to be found. He says they'll keep checking it. On the power steering line, they're having to replace part of the steel line (I told them they'd have to do that) and part of the rubber line has to be replaced. That's a no-brainer since it was ground up pretty good between the frame and the road.

Afternoon, everyone.

Jeffrey, you views about fire truck colors and lighting directly conflict with some very good studies done over the last 20 years. Either these studies, which directly compared the accident rates and response times for several hundred different departments, are completely wrong, or firefighters just like red and lots of lights. :) Red was found, without exception, to be the worst color in bad weather, while the lime green/yellow showed up the best in all conditions. Oscillating lights were place on the hoods, but below the drivers line of vision. LA County tested these for years and found they were the most effective for attracting the driver's attention. We had some Whelan oscillating bumper mounted lights on our patrol cars and they were very effective.

Strobes were an even bigger problem in terms of causing seizures in certain people. In addition to power consumption, the move away from strobes to LED's was partially to solve that problem. As Barry said, we're now finding that LED's are even worse, especially when set to very short interval, random flash patterns. Many vehicles just have too many LED's that are much too bright, and they cause people to become disoriented. I wish the police down here would cut thier emergency lights off once they have a driver safely off the road, but they sit there with every light running, which causes traffic backups and the disorientation problem, particularly in the elderly. We would just leave our four-way flashers on and turn everything else off. We also didn't want to advertise our position, since there's no point in the bad guys being able to see you from a mile away. :eek:

CJ, seems like all the snow has stayed just north of us but the cold air has hit us worse. We may have escaped the snow just because the cold air has been so dry. I assume you had fun with Aiden...and mom. :D It doesn't look like the Gulf low is forming up far enough east to give us any severe weather this weekend now, although one never knows down here. It sure looks like a good setup for another couple of inches of rain, at least. Given our cold weather pattern so far, and the massive supply of cold air still to our north, I wouldn't be surprised to see some snow out of the wrap around end of the low after the front goes through. I know one thing for sure - I hate cold weather. :mad:

Steve, you're right about getting slammed from the rear while at a scene. I had it happen to me three times in 28 years and I was lucky not to be seriously injured or killed. I always angled my car out and had drivers step out to the road shoulder rather than talking to them while they were still in the car. Had one drunk that came about 75 feet off the road and took out the entire back of the patrol car, right up to the rear window. I was able to see it coming and pulled the driver I was citing out of the path of the collision. I thought the guy who hit me would be DOA for sure but he all had a dislocated knee and few lacerations. It's amazing how drunks can be in some of the worst accidents I've seen and suffer relatively minor injuries. I do wish we'd use a lot more reflective markings like you guys have. I notice the British police cars have adopted the bright checkerboard relective patterns. We had one reflective green stripe that wasn't worth the money or time it cost to put it on.

Corey, I'll take one of those furry hats if this keeps up.

Tom, isn't winter camping fun? Once you can get warmed up in a good sleeping bag, it's tolerable. Getting out is a whole 'nother issue, especially if you're using a tree for the latrine. :eek: I think it took me about an hour under a hot shower before my body temperature returned to normal after our five day ordeal.

Well, it has warmed up to 51 and I see I have some water dripping from one from waste pipe joints under the RV. It has been competely drained for two years so I have no idea how there could have been enough water to freeze a pipe but that's what looks like has happened. I guess the antifreeze didn't do much good either. :mad:. I'm getting to the point where I think selling it is the best move. Dianna and the girls hate camping because there are bugs, snakes...etc...and it's just sitting there rotting away. I'll miss being on the road but I guess that's just not meant to be.

Good Morning

Chris Audrey wanted to know where the biggest cattle area is in Florida---I was thinking the central part but --?

Depends what Cattle Rancher Family your talking to!:rolleyes: Most of floridas Cattle ranchers are Floridas Ooooooold Money! Most of the ranches are spread out all over.......Just look at the sat. images of florida and you can see where the biggest ones are.....Pasco County has quit a few large ranches but IMO most of the biggest ranches are south of I-4 where it gets cold but not that cold to freeze and kill the grass! Like I said the cattle industry makes more money that citrus so as the old citrus trees dye off the farmers arn't replanting them. Either the old grove gets turned in to a Cattle ranch, Hay field, Malls, Retirement Communities, or Cemetary take your pick!

Jeffrey, you views about fire truck colors and lighting directly conflict with some very good studies done over the last 20 years. Either these studies, which directly compared the accident rates and response times for several hundred different departments, are completely wrong, or firefighters just like red and lots of lights. :) Red was found, without exception, to be the worst color in bad weather, while the lime green/yellow showed up the best in all conditions. Oscillating lights were place on the hoods, but below the drivers line of vision. LA County tested these for years and found they were the most effective for attracting the driver's attention. We had some Whelan oscillating bumper mounted lights on our patrol cars and they were very effective.
The biggest problem we had with the lime green here was that it was TOO VISIBLE. That was OK when it was seen from a distance but closer up many of the gawkers would be watching the truck and not the traffic, driving the traffic accident rate up. Another problem was that when people would drive past a street where one of these big brightly colored vehicles were parked they would be looking up the street instead of where they were going which usually ended up being a ditch, tree, culvert or miss a bridge. These incidents dropped way off after we went back to the red paint. A later study by the government showed that we were right to do so as the lime green was found to be more distracting. You can turn off the lights but you can't turn off the bright color. And I agree with you on the practice many officers have of leaving all the lights going. A large majority of highway accidents involving police vehicles show that the drivers were distracted by the police cars lights and weren't paying attention to traffic. I've complained about this many times but it falls on seemingly deaf ears.

The biggest problem we had with the lime green here was that it was TOO VISIBLE. That was OK when it was seen from a distance but closer up many of the gawkers would be watching the truck and not the traffic, driving the traffic accident rate up. Another problem was that when people would drive past a street where one of these big brightly colored vehicles were parked they would be looking up the street instead of where they were going which usually ended up being a ditch, tree, culvert or miss a bridge. These incidents dropped way off after we went back to the red paint. A later study by the government showed that we were right to do so as the lime green was found to be more distracting. You can turn off the lights but you can't turn off the bright color. And I agree with you on the practice many officers have of leaving all the lights going. A large majority of highway accidents involving police vehicles show that the drivers were distracted by the police cars lights and weren't paying attention to traffic. I've complained about this many times but it falls on seemingly deaf ears.

these are our provincial cops car, they won the north america championship of police car design, they have both leds and gyralight, yellow checked patterns and all the writing is reflextive

the only fail is that the yellow stripe can be seen 1km away if you have bi-xenon light on your car

Dodge_Charger_Police_(S%C3%BBret%C3%A9_du_Qu%C3%A9bec).JPG

I am so not looking forwarded to driving to work tomorrow. My every day truck is in the body shop getting a new hood and grill from a fender bender I was in before new years, So that leaves me driving my 92 jeep Cherokee. Wouldn't be so bad if it was stock, but has bias tires, no heat and a bad trac bar. and its going to be like 20* out. sorry for the rant just really not looking forwarded to the drive.

Jim, Jeff did i say strobe,,, sorry that should have read "tripple flash LED"
Drewsounds like when i have to drive my wifes car instead of mine.

Steve, normally i don't drive it on the street that's what the trailer and dodge ram are for, she's an off pavement princess

these are our provincial cops car, they won the north america championship of police car design, they have both leds and gyralight, yellow checked patterns and all the writing is reflextive

the only fail is that the yellow stripe can be seen 1km away if you have bi-xenon light on your car

I like that checker board pattern. None of the cars here have it. They just have reflective decals and LOTS of bright lights that are murder on your eyes at night.

Got some news from the shop. The power steering line on my car has been fixed. Now for the bad news. The brake booster is leaking and the master cylinder has failed. Don't know what the price is gonna be yet but it's gonna be high. I'll be checking some places in the morning for estimates.

Ah Jeez look what i started, now everyone is discussing emergency equipment.

Julien-Our County Sherrifs have the Chargers, theres nice looking rides, but with nothing but white with red lettering and reflective tape, it could be better.

Chris- Boy i never wouldve guessed that anything besides produce grew in florida. Here in upstate, its nothing but milk, corn, apples and rocks.

Steve, Jim and Jeff- The only lime green emergency vehicles i have ever seen were the airport fire dept. that ive seen while traveling. Even the local hazmat unit is red around here. One of the questions ive never understood about fire trucks, why paint them black? In my town there are 2 depts., one for the village, one for the country. The village has only red and white trucks with dark green accent. However, the country trucks are painted black, with lots of chrome. Seems a tad ridiculous to me, because theyre goes alot of your visibility.

I havent been feeling so great the last couple days, im pretty sure its just a cold, but it needs to go away. I did a saline drip/squirt thing, good lord that was not pleasant!!!

BTW, how many pages of threads does the coffee shop usually have? Were on 100, so im just wondering if i need to be on the lookout for a new shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back