Coffee Shop Twenty is now open fer business

Status
Not open for further replies.
boBNO! :eek:

Think what you may about the direction of the hobby (actually I agree with you) but also think of the others that have benefitted from your personal involvement in this hobby.
The people you have shared your experiences with, the gang at the old folks home, the rif-raf that wanders in here.
True, you have suffered a huge loss, but look at it this way. Now you have a chance to make it even more perfect!

Besides all that, we like having ya around! (Somebody has to keep Chris under control!)

Afternoon, everyone.

Bob, I can sense a combination of the Holiday blues and being generally pissed off with the way things have gone this year. Can't say as I blame you, especially with what you've been through. I hope you'll just take some time and think about it. As others have said, we need people with your experience in the hobby and, I suspect, you need the hobby in some form. Maybe a small switching layout or something just to keep your hands in it without trying to rebuild an empire. Don't worry about the direction of the hobby. For guys our age, we'll be running that Big Railroad in the Sky. There's a younger generation coming behind us that will deal with things, just like we did when we were the young pups. Have a Merry Christmas and we'll hope for a better and more hopeful New Year.

Jeffrey, sounds like you should be giving design modifications to the wound sucker maker. :)

David, interesting post. Some of those are urban legends (like the graveyard shift), but a lot of them are a good exposition of how we arrived at terms we still use today. I like your waybill system. With e-mail, it could be done very easily.

Rex, don't plant winter rye but I have noticed that all the fire ant mounts are surrounded by green grass while the rest of the yard is brown. I wonder what the deal is with that? I have never, ever, started a model railroad project and had everything on hand I actually needed to complete it. I keep think that I'll figure all this out one day but, after 40 years, I guess I won't. :)

Matt, I can remember the days when 28 degrees felt warm. I just prefer not to experience any of those days now. You get to be a wimp when you get older. :rolleyes:

Corey, three inches of snow in Minnesota in December is like a trace, isn't it? ;) I hope it doesn't start piling up. Nice to have people admire your modeling work, especially your dad.

Chris, are you like Johnny Appleseed, scattering rye grass from yard to yard. :)

Karl, you were lucky it only took your widdle finger to get the door open. Pretty impressive pile of snow after you were done plowing though.

Barry, I love that Superior Bakery/Weekly Herald kit. I think that kit has to be near 40 years old now and it still has some of the best molded brick detail of anything made today. I just couldn't resist digging up a Weekly Herald kit for my layout, even though it's way too big for the amount of space I have.

Terry, Quartzsite is the RV mecca of the world. Between cheap labor and that huge swap meet, you can get any RV part ever made and get it installed for almost nothing. I got my front sway bars replaced for less than $100 installed when I was there with my rig. I've still got a small leak in mine that I have to track down. It's right up at the front and I suspect it's probably a clearance light that has a deteriorated seal. I've taped every other seam so there's not really any other place for it to leak. I'll pull them all, replace the bulbs, and re-seat them with silicone.

Dan, my basement is the walk-out variety so one wall is exposed to the weather. It's a south wall, good for winter, not so good for summer. It's surprising how constant the temperature stays. It has two windows, with a window A/C unit in each one. I need the A/C in the summer to keep the humidity down. One of the units is a heat pump also, and it can heat the whole basement without a problem.

It was finally a sunny day all day today. The high was 54 with no wind so it felt more like Alabama again. It only got down to 34 last night but we had some fog that turned into ice fog for about an hour. It was a common site in Nevada, but it's the first time I've seen it here. It's pretty, sparkling off the street lights. Not so much fun to drive in though. One more day of nice weather and then we'll get a bout of rain and maybe some severe storms. There's going to be a good rush of cold air Christmas night and it will be a battle to see if the moisture leaves before the cold air gets here. If things come together right, Santa might be able to get his sleigh out of the mud and back on snow, so he can start working on next year's list.

Bob- Ive never really talked to you but your spoken of highly on the forums, its always a loss to see someone go from something, be it they quit the team, a freind moves to a diffrent school, or someone leaves a group, like your considering doing. It's never good when someone gets out of a hobby, thats one less mouth to spread a wealth of knowledge, and be a representative for the great hobby. Im not asking you to stay in the hobby, im just asking you to highly think about your decision.

Jim- Trust me, 28 degrees is pretty warm for what we usually get this time of year. A few years back we hit -30 at our camp, not including the wind chill, that was cold!! I remember a practice during modified football where it was about 15 degrees with a windchill, boy my hands were raw after that one.

Well im sitting here with my laptop open enjoying the company of family, school in the A.M and hopefully a nice day. On wedesday they are blowing up an old bridge, the crown point bridge, hopefully i can use that as an excuse to get out of school wednesday, the day before break :D , boy that doesnt sound like something a redneck would do huh?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just received notification that my recent order for two Bachmann Silver Series flatcars with container loads has been shipped from Trains and Lanes Hobbies in Easton Pennsylvania. It should be here in about a week.

Bob, Bob, Bob....I felt the same way about RC Racing, Tropical Fish Keeping, and many other hobbies that I do. That's one of the biggest reasons I move back and fourth between them. When one hobby losses enough luster i just focus a little more attention on that one and give the latter a rest. Right now my new business is taking up most of my time and thoughts. It's more like a hobby than a job with schedules, Equipment repairs and buying, and meeting new people! Some times giving one hobby a break and trying a new one ain't that bad!;) You'll come back in time with a fresh prespective!

Jim, when I worked for a well known Golf course down here, One year my fellow ground grunts and I wrote all our names alone the side of a par 5 fairway in rye grass. needless to say it looked cool as hell and the golfers called it the Hollywood hole! I wish more of my customer would put down rye grass in the winter......I sudgest it all the time but they just decline:confused: Funny thing is it's on of the cheapest things you can do for winter color!

Karl, who made boB my keeper?:confused: Thats your job!:mad: You have been chosen to clean up after me when I get in one of my DMSF moods!:p Your like Hazmat cleaning up my funky Messes fast before some one slips in the $&^$ and breaks their neck!:D:p OBTW you need to check the restroom I flung some stuff:)Karl......... Clean up on Isle 10! ROFLMAO:D:D

OBTW: weather cold tonight, we warm up some and 60% chance of rain on Christmas eve night and Christmas Day!

Karl, who made boB my keeper?:confused: Thats your job!:mad: You have been chosen to clean up after me when I get in one of my DMSF moods!:p Your like Hazmat cleaning up my funky Messes fast before some one slips in the $&^$ and breaks their neck!:D:p OBTW you need to check the restroom I flung some stuff:)Karl......... Clean up on Isle 10! ROFLMAO:D:D

If thats MY job, I QUIT!!!!:mad:
You could not pay me enough, even if you got a contract to mow the everglades!:eek:

If thats MY job, I QUIT!!!!:mad:
You could not pay me enough, even if you got a contract to mow the everglades!:eek:

YOU CAN"T QUIT!:mad::mad: Slaves have to be sold and as I recall your bad attude makes it hard to sell ya off! So stop your whining, step in line, and grab your mop.........I got an urge to sling some @#$ TODAY!:D:mad: Also don't think of it like a job but, community service!:)

Bob - Don't let the bastards win!! That's exactly what you'd be doing if you were to leave the hobby completely. You're in a better position to rebuild than many of the poor smuck's who lose their layouts in a flooded basement and don't have flood insurance. Sure you won't have the exact same layout you originally had, but I'm sure you can create something that would give you just as much enjoyment.

David - interesting bits of historical trivia there!

The Alabama relatives are in town, which explains my scant presence online. Most of my 'free' time is dominated by activities with them. I also spent much of my time on Sunday clearing snow off the parking area of my driveway. (Luckily I have a neighbor with a plow-equipped ATV who buzzes all the driveways in the neighborhood whenever we get snow - he cleared the 300' long winding part!:cool: ) I took the day off from work on Monday, went to the Mall, and finished my Christmas shopping in just over an hour. There were five items on the list, I found the 1st four within 15 minutes - but the last item was more like a scavenger hunt. I went to 4 different stores before I finally found what I was looking for. Now I just need to find time to wrap everything...

Greetings all from across the pond, sorry haven't been around for a while but I too had my layout destroyed by neds (our term for delinquents) who set my "train" garage on fire earlier in the year. Thankfully my locos and rolling stock weren't involved as I keep them in the house but everything else went up in smoke! I've spent the past few months collecting together some track and other things in the hope of starting again and will hopefully do so in the new year (in my attic this time!lol)

Anyhoo wanted to say Hi and also wish each and every one of you a fantastic Christmas and a prosperous New Year. I hope you all get everything you wish for during the season and I look forward to coming back more often soon!

Greetings all from across the pond, sorry haven't been around for a while but I too had my layout destroyed by neds (our term for delinquents) who set my "train" garage on fire earlier in the year. Thankfully my locos and rolling stock weren't involved as I keep them in the house but everything else went up in smoke! I've spent the past few months collecting together some track and other things in the hope of starting again and will hopefully do so in the new year (in my attic this time!lol)

Anyhoo wanted to say Hi and also wish each and every one of you a fantastic Christmas and a prosperous New Year. I hope you all get everything you wish for during the season and I look forward to coming back more often soon!

Welcome back, sorry to say but A-Holes are every where and they should be found, rounded up and destroyed:mad:! Glad to here your not going to let it get to ya! Ditto's on the Christmas cheer!

Welcome back, sorry to say but A-Holes are every where and they should be found, rounded up and destroyed:mad:! Glad to here your not going to let it get to ya! Ditto's on the Christmas cheer!

I agree with CHRIS---have yourself a merry Christmas as well--:):):)

We have sun out here----YAY!!!:):):):):)

Gotta buncha stuff ta do ---better get with it---

CEEYAAABYE!!!!----------zzzzoooooomm!!!------------

Good morning folks

It was 31 F as I headed out this bright morning. High will be 37 F.

I had to run out and get a Pollyanna gift for our Christmas party at work last night. The party is today. My daughter’s flute lesson was canceled since her teacher was still digging her car out.

I spent some time cleaning off more of the workbench. I asked my son to round up all the empty paint bottles so I can see what I need. It seems like everyone in the house has been using my paint for their various projects.

Tonight is the busy night. My son has guitar lesson and my daughter has her last volleyball practice of the “year”.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Good morning. It's 45 and partly cloudy. The high will be in the mid 60's and rain is expected.

Well I've been to the doctor office already to go over the results of all the tests that were done last week and it isn't looking good. The X-rays and MRI indicate that some of the bone infection (osteomyelitis)that had had been in the foot has spread to the ankle and possibly the tibia (shin bone). While it's possible that I may have to lose the lower half of the right leg it's also possible that they may be able to save it. They did more tests this morning and they'll be letting me know the results of those in a weeks time. In the meantime I'm to continue doing what I've been doing. In the model railroad department I got an email notification yesterday that two Bachmann flatcars with container loads that I ordered on the BillMeLater program have been shipped from Trains and Lanes Hobbies in Easton Pennsylvania and should be here in a week. I like using BillMeLater because I can pay it back $10 at a time as I'm able to and there's never any personal information exchanged. I order what I want, they send it and issue a paper bill and I send them a money order. No credit card info, no checking account info, etc, in short, virtually nothing an ID theft vandal can use. There's nothing on the schedule today so I'll likely be watching some old movies or maybe doing some work on a kit.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/DSCN2202.jpg

Howdy All!

Been busy 'round my place lately. The in-laws are getting ready to head to Florida for the winter. They have been spending a bit more time with the grandkids.

My daughter is preparing to move out.....so she thinks. No money and little work should cure that though. She had a great job in the field she went to school for, but she decided to quit that job. Now, she has nothing.

I have a friend who is preparing for the hereafter. He's in the hospital now and the docs say his chest wall has collapsed. They don't expect him to make it much longer. He asked me last night to do his funeral. Tough one..........but I'll do it.

On a brighter not, my mom decided it was time for a new, well, new to her, car. She got a 2001 Jaguar. VERY NICE!

christmas-bikerSanta.png

So, I see Jeff is in need of big time prayer.....consider it done my friend!

Larry, you guy's are still on my prayer list too!

I'm confused? Is it, "Born to Make TOYS!" or is it, "Born to Sleigh!" Santas tat sys one thing and other? I'm So CONFUSED!!!!! Karl........Help!

Good Afternoon Guys,
It's cold and cloudy here in Ca, had a pretty fair rain shower yesterday and wouldn't know it but the darn roof leaked again, still haven't got the cooler covered as I forgot the plastic the last time I went to Fresno but I headed there again this afternoon so that
will be the first thing on my list to do. Sur wish I could find where the darn leak was comming from, it gets annoying when it was fixed and then only a month later it starts leaking again. Frustrating to say the least.

Say Jeffery, If your Diabetic as I think you've mentioned you are, you need to keep your blood sugar level under pretty tight control. I know the infections does through it off too, usually causing it to go up higher but try to keep your BSL in the 150 range on a constant basis. Fluctuations for an hour or so don't cause too much problem but you don't want to be high or low for the whole day, that NO GOOD and will cause you to not only loose your leg but it also can affects your eye sight.

I took care of my Long time Diabetic Mom for 2.5 years and even healed wounds she had
during this time by trying to keep a close watch on her BSL but she did go up high from time to time but I never let her stay that way very long before giving her more insulin to bring her down. Take charge and maintain for the best results.

You can lick it, just take charge!

Say Phillip, Very sorry to hear about your friend, that's a tough one for sure. I've lost several
friends too but never had to plan their funerals. Doing my Dads' was tough enough many
years back.

Say Jim, Glad you liked the idea I had as far as members creating Waybills but I haven't heard form anyone else?

Well time to head to town so I will talk with you guys later.

Say Jeffery, If your Diabetic as I think you've mentioned you are, you need to keep your blood sugar level under pretty tight control. I know the infections does through it off too, usually causing it to go up higher but try to keep your BSL in the 150 range on a constant basis. Fluctuations for an hour or so don't cause too much problem but you don't want to be high or low for the whole day, that NO GOOD and will cause you to not only loose your leg but it also can affects your eye sight.
I try to maintain it between 110 and 140 as my doctor ordered but it can be a real challenge at times. As you said infections can throw it off and in light of the news I got this morning some anomalous readings of late may have been explained.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back