Coffee Shop Part VIII

Good afternoon folks

It is 20 F with a high of 27 F. The low overnight was 10 F which makes it the coldest night this year.

We had a somewhat busy weekend. My daughter had softball clinic and basketball practice. We did a few chores around the house and finally got all the Christmas decoration put away. We had to get a couple more storage bins.

I finished weathering the wheels and trucks for the Athearn blue box TOFCs. I installed the wheels and converted the couplers to Kadee couplers. I also painted the wheel hubs on the trailers to match the trailer bodies.

Since we are home today we may go the movies later. I hope to do some more work on my son’s pinewood derby car and maybe weather the TOFCs and trailers.

I hope everybody has a good day.

01-22-2008

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png

:eek:

Buffet.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png

BreakfastMenu.png
waitress1.png
[/QUOTE]

Good Morning Bill ! It's snowing . Just what I wanted for breakfast . Well gotta have a quick cup of coffee and go out and pick up the garbage bin . Hope you all don't get snowed on !!!!

Good morning.

We're getting a long slow rain here today.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 1/22/2008

Wind Chill: 53°F
Humidity: 98%
Dew Point: 53°F

So Far Today
High: 53°F
Low: 49°F
Rain: 0.13"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 10mph SSE

Now through 11:00 AM CST January 22, 2008

Scattered showers will continue to develop and move east-northeast across southeast Texas and central Louisiana. A few light showers will also be possible closer to Interstate 10 in southwest Louisiana. Rainfall amounts will average less than a tenth of an inch per hour...although a few heavier showers could produce up to a quarter-inch. Otherwise skies will remain cloudy and patchy fog will persist through late morning.

Today High: 62 Cloudy with chance of rain showers and isolated thunderstorms. Not as cool. Highs in the lower 60s. Light and variable winds becoming northwest around 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation 40 percent.

Tonight Low: 42 Cloudy with a 30 percent chance of rain showers. Lows in the lower 40s. Northeast winds around 10 mph.

Morning Everyone and another cold 26 deg here in Dixie. I'm on my way over to a local MR's to help figure out some wiring problems he's having. I hope your day will be a good one.:)

Rex

I'm gonna assume that this was Bill's place.
If so, how "bad" were the problems?

Pulled down a couple of "easy" Westerfield kits, (gons) and started cleaning the castings up. These kits only have 30 parts or so, and will be a nice diversion from the typical Westerfield kit of 3-400 parts per kit. When I get these finished and I also finish off another caboose, I'll line'em all up and paint them at one time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mornin' ........ er..... Afternoon everyone!

Another busy day of retirement here in the Finger Lakes. Have to make a Bank run very soon as there was a good amount of $ given at the MLK service, most of it cash and I don't want it sitting around here for long. Doing sound and being Vice President of the committee was uhm...... well lets just say interesting. First of all our Pastor who usually takes care of a lot of details (like turning on the heat.....) was called out of town on Sunday as his Mother is very ill. So a whole lot of little items (like having the Sanctuary of the church all of about 50°F at the start of the service.) didn't get done. So people from the Host Church (we were the site host) kept calling me out away from the board to tell me that the heat wasn't on, whic I already knew. Unfortunately I don't have the key to the office where the thermostat is and don't know how to turn it up anyway, so while the MLK Choir was singing its first song, I was on the phone trying to convince the only available person who could do that to drive into town and turn the heat on. About 10 minutes later, the radiators started to function..... The high point of the service was when the dear lady who is the President of the committee (after talking for 25 minutes and saying absolutely nothing while she was supposed be giving out a community service award) decided to get back up and since the congregation was giving the speaker a standing ovation she pulled the podium mic out of its holder so she could get close enough to be heard over the din, and the whole thing collapsed in her hands. She couldn't figure out what to do with it so it was left hanging at the back of the podium in a completely useless position. She does this almost every time she is anywhere near a mic that is not supposed to be moved..... So I have to run down (leaving the board again) and reassemble the whole thing while complete chaos is going on. I walked back up the aisle to the back of the church watching people trying not to giggle! Our president is a dear little lady about 80 years old. She has become a wonderful friend over the years since I was asked to join the committee by my minister 18 years ago so she has been very much forgiven. ;)

Dr. Middlebrook was a powerful speaker! Only thing there was our associate pastor hasn't been to many Black Gospel Churches, so when he started speaking, she didn't know that it was going to crescendo into a fortissimo before long so she gets up and puts her lavileer mic on him. I then switched over to that mic, which wasn't set for him, creating a major sound problem. the poor guy sitting next to me recording it for a local radio station I thought was going to have a heart attack. After about 3 or 4 minutes on that mic, trying to get it EQed for him, and finding that it wasn't as good as the podium mic was, I switched back to that one. I am pleased to say that my blood presure has returned to normal with no lasting ill effects......;) :D

Have a great day!

Afternoon, all.

Ray, you are good example of why I don't fool around with complicated electronics. :) At least the service came off and no one froze to death.

CJ, I didn't know the words "easy" and "Westerfield" ever went together in one sentence. The worst MR experience of my life was putting together a Westerfield stock car way back whe I was first in the hobby. I opened the box and it was nothing but a pile of strip wood and metal castings with more flash than casting. After about three months of working on it on and off, I finally got it done. It was the first and last Westefield kit I ever built.

Paul, looks like the Great Lakes area is getting it again. It appears to be one of those long winters I loved so well in Cleveland.

Afternoon, Jeffrey, I like that shot across the top of the buildings.

It only went down to 35 last night so things are starting to get back to climatalogical normals. Looks like a little rain today, anothe blast of cold air on Thursday, and then highs in the 70's over the weekend. I guess I won't be able to use cold weather to avoid the yardwork much longer. :)

evening or afternoon wherever you may be.
after the worlds supply of rain was dumped on us yesterday it froze solid overnight, nice driving conditions at 6.30am i can tell you.
this is our local stream
10-08-07009-2.jpg

Afternoon, all.

CJ, I didn't know the words "easy" and "Westerfield" ever went together in one sentence. The worst MR experience of my life was putting together a Westerfield stock car way back whe I was first in the hobby. I opened the box and it was nothing but a pile of strip wood and metal castings with more flash than casting. After about three months of working on it on and off, I finally got it done. It was the first and last Westefield kit I ever built.

Jim;

That must have been one of his "first" kits. Every Westerfield I've ever built was resin. Some of his early resin cars were very hard to build, but these are the kind of kits I enjoy the most. They are like wiring a layout for DC. How is that done? One wire (step) at a time. I think I have 15 more to build, with a like number of the Funaro's as well. I never have liked RTR equipment, as I enjoy the building more. Plus after its completed, I know that even if someone built the same kit, it still won't be like mine!

Last edited by a moderator:
CJ,
Yes, I'm sure it was one of his first kits because it was a double deck Mather stcok car and he was the only one who had a kit for it then. Now that I remember it, it had a resin floor and ends but you had to built the roof and sides from wood. Just the wood part was bad enough but getting them square with those tweaked resin floors and ends took about three days of wood glue, epoxy, and clamps all over the place. The brake rigging was all cast metal and it was almost impossible to get the flash off the brake lines so I finally ditched them and used brass wire. As I recall, it was pretty expensive kit for its day (around $8 in 1968) and I never would have bought one if I knew what I was getting myself into. It was a good learning experience though and I still have it stashed in a box somewhere. I'll have to get it out and take some pictures. It built up into a nice kit, with the first scale stirrup steps I had ever seen.

John, that looks like quite a flood over there. at least you should have no worries about drought.

Good morning coffee clubbers!

I've been lurking, just haven't had the energy or clearness of mind to compose any messages. I sure hope the past week isn't a foreshadowing of what the remainder of 2008 will be like.

Last Thursday I wrecked my car in the snow. It hadn't been coming down for very long and it was just starting to stick to the road. I was doing ~40mph on a road where the normal speed limit is 55. That wasn't slow enough obviously, when I tried to slow down as a traffic light turned yellow, my brakes locked up. The car fishtailed, spun around 180 degrees across the opposing lane, and both passenger-side wheels smashed against the curb. ~$3000 damage. At least I was phyically unhurt - I was wearing my seatbelt - but the experience sure has done a number on my mind! [Glad I have collision coverage, with towing and car rental.]

To calm my nerves, I've been trying to simply run trains - not build or paint, or do scenery. But the main line track that I used to depend on for trouble-free operation has been giving me fits. I've found numerous kinks in the formerly-straight track, and many half-dips (one rail lower than the other) where the ballast has shrunk as it dried out. The result is that I've spent 90% of my time troubleshooting and repairing :mad: . Monday night I was so disgusted I was questioning whether mrr was turning out to be more of a source of stress than of relaxation.

Then at the office on Tuesday morning during our weekly meeting, I learned that NASA (our largest customer) might cancel the one big project that is paying most peoples' salaries in my department. We'll get the final word on Thursday, whether it stays or goes. Those of you who Believe, if you want to shoot up some prayers I could sure use 'em, I'm too young to retire just yet and I still need to put my kids thru college...

Morning guys!

Ken, I can relate to the snow conditions. We are in a streamer path off of Georgian Bay so we get loads at the beginning before the lake freezes, then recent days have brought us 6 to 10 inches daily. It's light fluffy stuff but still dangerous nonetheless. I drive a RWD with switchable traction control so I can "play it safe" or just "play", but today was really not much of either. Multiple cars in the ditch - even a container truck defying the laws of gravity, levitating at about a 45 degree angle in the ditch. This happened last Sunday just south of us: multi car pileup. Either way, I'm glad to hear you are unhurt (physically anyway).

I'm with you about running the trains. Have been working quite a bit of the homebrew DCC rig and it has taken time from simply running trains. Last night I changed that, running a couple good sized consists on the two mains. Just sat there lookin' at 'em running in circles. Cool. :D

Mark

Good Morning ! Ken L & Bill , Mark , Another normal day here near Lake Dreary , 18 going up to 22 .We had about 5 inches of snow over the last two days. Nothing like the three feet they had at the other end of New York . Ken L sorry to hear about your recent troubles. I Hope all will turn out at work there, I know what it is like when a big contractor pulls a job out from under the door. Not good at all. And the car wow I been in a few of those when the car goes all ove and nothing you can do but ride it out. Well hope that this day brings joy and hope ao you all !!

Good morning folks

It was 29 F as I headed on the road this morning. Our high will be 39 F. I had to deal with frozen doors on the van again this morning as a result of our rain yesterday. Speaking of yesterday’s storm it turned into a dud. All the hype about freezing rain and sleet for the afternoon and evening and all we got was a couple hours of light rain.

I didn’t make here to post yesterday. I was on the road most of the day. I had a Final Inspection on one project and field viewed a couple of other ones. The Final Inspection was on a covered bridge restoration project. Several years ago a couple of morons set fire to the bridge cover and the cover was destroyed. Our project replicated the cover. Here is a link to an article with photos about the bridge: http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/111-01142008-1470632.html

No modeling last night. Last night we worked on my son’s pinewood derby car. I need to seal it with a gloss finish and put the wheels on and he is ready to go. We also worked on school projects. My son had to make a 3D relief map of Pennsylvania which we did with Play-do. My daughter had to do a news report on a renewable resource. Tonight we have my daughter’s flute lesson and Cub Scout den meetings.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Bridge

Just read the article Tom . What a shame Covered bridges are a treasure. I have a picture of one that sits on the wall opposite my computer .This one is from Vermont . I bought the picture back then in the seventies

Mornin' everyone!

Ken L that has got to be a scary experience! I've been in a couple similar close calls but have been fortunate not to have the vehicle damaged (and not to get hurt myself or hurt someone else). Glad you are not hurt. Hope the NASA project comes through. My youngest son works at Argonne Labs (hired just a few months ago) he had a few bad days as he found out that his job might "disappear". He says they now think his position will be retained. It would be really tough for him as he left a secure good paying position at the U of Chicago to "improve" his resume after he got his MBA.... You are in my Prayers!

I have a major pile of stuff to do today, sort art and poetry from the MLK service and return to schools, etc. I also have to drive through the "partly cloudy" we are getting off and on to go to a Dr. appointment in Canandaigua. My skin doctor to check on my psoriasis. Actually she is the one Dr. that I don't mind going to see. She has been very successful in treating the condition (and is a cute little thing besides...;) ;) )

Have a great day!

Ken sorry to hear about your misfortune of late, glad your OK after the crash though, i think stress is a global thing at present

Back