Coffee Shop Part VIII

Afternoon, everyone.

It does look like the folks north of me in Alabama could get a nice little snowstorm tonight and tomorrow. Birmingham looks to be right on the southern edge of significant (2"-4") accumulation line. It looks like we might see a few flakes if we're lucky but it all depends on where this cut-of low ends up. Given my effect on weather, a blizzard is not out of the question here. :)

Steve, I've been an investor in gold since 1970. I suspect gold hitting 900 is the beginning of a slide down, not a move up, but we shall see. Gold is driven by inflation and recession and deflation look to be the most likely to me, not the ideal conditions for a run up in gold.

Ray, I like Trioritize. Now what's the correct term for the ten things I have to get done today. :)

Paul, how well I remember such days in Cleveland. I'll take a few flakes here instead of a foot of lake-effect and those 50 mph winds

Sandy, I was in Boulder one summer when half the town was flooding from thunderstorms and the other half had bright sunlight. It is a beautiful setting but weather that changeable is a little too much for these old bones.

Phillip, I don't think your body actually gets used to the cold, it's just the part of your brain that reacts cold is already frozen. :) I hope you had a nice lunch.

Howdy, Mark, William, Tom and Old 97.

Just sitting here waiting for the blizzard. I've got the fish tank water back at the correct Ph so I'll leave it set a few days and then try some test fish. Any more problems and I think I'll put it on e-bay and use the proceeds for a new locomotive. :D

Evening gents

Jim it's very scary stuff, the paper fiat currencies of the world and getting weaker by the day, i expect something to go belly up very soon
This is a good web site insert $gold in symbol and click GO

bedtime i'm done in

It does look like the folks north of me in Alabama could get a nice little snowstorm tonight and tomorrow.

Jim, I hope it doesn't snow tonight. Because if it does, I might not be able to get to work in the morning.;) ........yea right.

Stan.

Evening All ! It's 25 and the warmest it will be for awhile around theses parts. Steve I hope we learned a lesson from the Great Depression . But with our President in charge on this side of the ocean I wouldn't bet against anything anytime soon. Jeffrey those are some nice nightime photos. Hope you boys down Alabama way don't see too much of the white stuff. Might have to send down some plows and salt trucks. Hope your night is going well !!!!

Steve, maybe, but I also lived through the 70's when the dollar was going to crash and not be worth the paper it was printed on. I've learned not get into a panic about the world suddenly changing overnight.

Stan, you actually could get a pretty good amount of snow up there. It won't start until tomorrow morning but getting home from work could be interesting. The cold air ins is setting up further south and the amount of available moisture is increasing so this could turn out to be quite a storm if things continue to shape up the way they are now.

Paul, I think we have about three snow plows down here so we may be asking for some of yours depending on how this plays out. :)

...I've got the fish tank water back at the correct Ph so I'll leave it set a few days and then try some test fish. Any more problems and I think I'll put it on e-bay and use the proceeds for a new locomotive. :D

G'day Jim! It's crazy - when I set up a tank I simply cannot do any wrong, they just go and go. (Freshwater of course.) Got some dime sized Angels about 3 years back - 10 in a 30 gal thinking a few would die...ahh, no. Instead I was sent scrambling for larger tanks, especially when they paired off to 5 pairs and started beating the crap outta each other for territory. Could it be 2 pairs with the rest female (or male)? No. Of course not. And this includes a move to a new house with totally different water (lots of chlorine) - still have two full grown pairs (mostly because 5 got taken down by a weird parasite).

Depending on how you look at it, I either have the best or the worst luck at this. :)

What do you have in the tanks?

Mark

Evening All ! It's 25 and the warmest it will be for awhile around theses parts. Steve I hope we learned a lesson from the Great Depression . But with our President in charge on this side of the ocean I wouldn't bet against anything anytime soon. Jeffrey those are some nice nightime photos. Hope you boys down Alabama way don't see too much of the white stuff. Might have to send down some plows and salt trucks. Hope your night is going well !!!!

Paul, looks like it'll be bad up our way as well. Cold on the weekend, and just north of us the snow is coming. Driving was a bit "fun" today - was thinking of trading the rear wheel drive recently but winter (and the ability to turn off DSC) always mskes me think twice! :D

Mark

Afternoon, everyone.

It does look like the folks north of me in Alabama could get a nice little snowstorm tonight and tomorrow. Birmingham looks to be right on the southern edge of significant (2"-4") accumulation line. It looks like we might see a few flakes if we're lucky but it all depends on where this cut-of low ends up. Given my effect on weather, a blizzard is not out of the question here. :)

Jim;

It looks like that you're in the "sweet spot" for sure.:D NWS is progging a band of 3-6" about 50 mi wide starting over past Selma and going up toward Atlanta, including Montgomery, Prattville, Auburn and Opelika! My area of the state should get way less!

Now 3-6" may not sound like much to you uhhhh "yankees", but it doesn't snow down here much. Used to snow about once every two years or so, but this snow will end a snow drought going back to 1997 here, when it snowed for about 1 hr very hard, covered everything then disappeared in another hour. We really haven't had any kind of snow here that was measurable since 1994.

Right now its sleeting very hard and they say the snow starts after the sleet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul, I think we have about three snow plows down here so we may be asking for some of yours depending on how this plays out. :)

Yeah Jim, but Bubba uses one for cutting fire breaks and Junebug uses one for his corn field. I believe the other is in a Birmingham bone yard.

Morning everyone. Well I don't see any snow yet, so I guess it's off to work.....oh well. The good side of it is I only have to work four hours.:D

Stan.

01-19-2008

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png

:eek:

donuts1.png
THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png

BreakfastMenu.png
waitress1.png

Good morning folks

It is 35 F on its way to 38 F. Today maybe the warmest day for the next five.

I am waiting for the wife to get home from work. She is conducting a Webelos Geologist Activity Badge tour at the museum. Once she gets home we have to go to the local craft store. My son has to make a 3D relief map of Pennsylvania for his fourth grade social studies class.

I began weathering wheels and trucks on the TOFC’s. I am currently doing five cars. I also began doing some work on the trailers like painting the wheel hubs to match the color of the trailer.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Good morning, everyone.

Yes, indeed, snow in Dixie. It changed over from rain about 2 hours ago and we have about an inch of wet snow covering the grassy areas and trees. It's 33 degrees and looks like we could end up with about three inches before it's over. Except for the usual panic about snow that occurs down here, no problems so far. It's really quite pretty so I went out and took some pictures that I'll post later. At least we didn't have the bread and milk run that we used to get in Cleveland. :)

Steve, yes, it does snow down here, about once every 10 years on average. The last storm with any accumulation was 1994. It snow almost yearly in far northern Alabama but we are usually far enough south to escape it. Snow really isn't that big a problem - it's the ice storms that are killers. That's what brings down all the limbs and power lines. This is just a nice gentle, slushy snow.

CJ, you had that sweet spot called just abut right. it's raining about 30 miles south of us and the snow on radar ends just about at T-Town with most of apparently headed toward Atlanta. We're lucky that the changeover to snow came relatively lat. I already had .31 inches in the gauge before it changed to snow so we would have already had at least three inches of snow if the rain had been all snow. I'll look at my snow pictures fondly when it's back up to 95 again. :D

Rex, no sign of Bubba and his plow around here. The road department is dumping some sand here and there but it's really not a big deal if people would stop driving like idiots - like that would ever happen.

Stan, it looks like you're just far enough north to be out of the main snow band but you should get some of it, just not enough to keep you from at least getting home from work.

Mark, I have a 50 gallon upright with just community fish like tetras and gouramis. I've never had any luck with angels at all. After consulting with our local fish expert, it seems that our water has a very low Ph to begin with. I did a quarter tank water change and that was apparently enough to drop the Ph enough to kill everything. I've got some Ph adjusting powder and the Ph is back up to 7. I guess I'll have to use it with every water change. That may be why I've never been able to keep angels, they are very sensitive to Ph changes. I suspect that you're just lucky to live in an area where the water balance is just right for fish.

Tom, this is the first time I've seen it warmer at your place than mine this winter. :)

Nothing else exciting happening here except for listening to scanner and number of people sliding off into ditches. This will be a good day for tow companies. :)

Steve, yes, it does snow down here, about once every 10 years on average. The last storm with any accumulation was 1994. It snow almost yearly in far northern Alabama but we are usually far enough south to escape it. Snow really isn't that big a problem - it's the ice storms that are killers. That's what brings down all the limbs and power lines. This is just a nice gentle, slushy snow.
:)

I remember one in 89 or 90? That was over Christmas I think? I was on I-95 on my way to visit my sister who used to live in Florida back then. There was a foot of snow on the ground in North Carolina. Got told to get off the road about 10 miles north of the SC border (Lumberton, SC) and spent the night at a Red Cross Shelter. I was a lot of fun watching you Southern Boys trying to drive around in it....:p The most fun was watching the Cops who were totally clueless about the stuff but still had to be out on the road because every idiot in town was out buying Bread and Milk. It was also fun watching the road crews trying to figure out what to do with all the white stuff. They evidently didn't know that the object is to move it off the road as they kept piling up huge piles of the stuff right in the middle of the road....... A foot or so of snow does make for a very dangerous drive when you don't have snow tires and no experience driving in those conditions. Hope everyone stays safe!

Just got back from the final judging for the MLK Art and Poetry Contest. Whoa, I just looked outside and thought I was in Alabama.... There is some little white thingys falling out of the sky. Around here we call it "partly cloudy". We aren't supposed to get much more than a couple of flurries though. Have to back to church late this afternoon to get sound levels set for the Monday MLK Service (Choir soloists mostly).

May even find a few minutes to work on a Farm Building project for the layout.

Have a good one!

morning
SNOW,,, in Bama has it ever done this before ???

Oh yeah Steve. It snows in Bama.:D When I was growing up I could count on at least one good snow, enough to close the schools anyway, ;) about once every two years. Even the years I lived in Mobile, only about 25 miles from the Gulf, we had snows there every 8 years or so.:eek: (That was a treat, the town would shutdown for a week for a 1" snow!!!):D

In 1993, we hit the jackpot, a real blizzard hit here. Officially there was 13" of snow at the B'ham Airport, but there was 18" in my front yard and 22" in my back yard, and many people here had drifts 4-5' high on the north sides of their houses. Had an Ice storm the next year, 1994, and except for that snow shower we got in 1997, nothing since.:(

Some people say its the global warming thing, but if they look at the records we have these "snow droughts", fairly often. Longest one was back in the 1940's-50's.

My wife and I got a kick outta this one. Just watched the kids next door play in it until it stopped. They are of ages that have never seen snow!:eek:

It snowed here mid-morning and for a good while, but nothing stuck to the warm ground. Also, the temps never got lower than about 34 during all this (38 now). Very disappointing and I am just going to pull my sled home and not talk to anyone never again, Phooey!. :p :(

Stan, it looks like you're just far enough north to be out of the main snow band but you should get some of it, just not enough to keep you from at least getting home from work.

Jim, we did get some. When I left work I drove up to the LHS to pick up a loco that I had ordered, and it was coming down hard for about an hour. It never did lay on the roads. Just glad it wasn't 1993 all over again.
I haven't been on here in a while. Hope everybody has been doing well. BTW, its a good day to stay inside and run trains.

Stan.

Back