Coffee Shop Part VIII

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

jeffrey-wimberly

Dr Frankendiesel
Good morning.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 1/13/2008

Wind Chill: 38°F
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 39°F

So Far Today
High: 47°F
Low: 41°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 10mph NNE

Today High: 60 Mostly sunny. Highs near 60. North winds around 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 35 Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 30s. North winds around 10 mph.

Did more work on the T-2-a last night. Here's some photos.

UP2CSX

Fleeing from Al
Good Morning, everyone.

Not to hijack the Coffee Shop but CJ, Rex, and Ray all had good points. Ray, the schools here do have written policies about what do if there's a tornado but no plans about when or if they should release students early. The met that CJ quoted is exactly correct and states my point very well. The schools are built with certain wings as tornado shelters that will resist the impact of an EF3 tornado. Sending the kids home to a majority of structures that are not only not tornado resistant but actual death traps is little short of criminal to my mind. The principal told me exactly what you said, Rex - the parents wanted it this way, apparently so they could all die together if a tornado strikes their mobile home. Assuming that this is a fact and there is some evidence that a majority of parents hold this view, since when did we start allowing parents to make public safety decisions? CJ, can you give me some more information on the writer of that blog? I intend to forward it to the superintendent of schools as well as the local paper. I also intend to get on the agenda of the next school board meeting to present my viewpoint. I've been in Alabama long enough to know it won't do any good but at least I'll have tried. :mad:

Anyway, I've been piddling around changing our some bad couplers and trucks on cars the have been on the RIP track for months. Those darn things really pile up if you don't get to them eventually so I thought I might as well do it since I'm in a crummy mood anyway and things like that help take my mind off things.

Jeffrey, I really like the white stripe n the running boards on that engine. My 2-8-0 would look much better with that trim but the Santa Fe didn't have that striping so I'm stuck unless I decide to re-letter it for the P&N. If I can make one suggestion, I would take off the lettering on the steam chests and paint the piston covers gold to simulate brass. That would look really classy.

rhoward

S.L.O.&W. Trainman
Afternoon everyone!

Jim at camp if there is a strong storm [not tornado] warning, all staff and campers are called to the Dining Hall which is considered to be the strongest building in camp and we sing songs until the danger is past. If the warning is for severe winds or a tornado type of storm, the county health officer or the Camp director makes the decision to have the nearest school system provide busses to get everyone over to the safety of the High school. When I was camp director, the county health officer called, you did what she said to the letter. The worst imaginable thing would be to send them back to their tents......... Knock on wood, we have never evacuated camp (BTW, the camp director gets to stay and man the phone at camp..........), but there have been many times when campers have been called to the dining hall late at night for a few hours of "songs and fun". Good luck with your quest!

I have been getting caught up with some business work that should have gotten done last week, and have managed to do a bit of work on the layout. I have a party to go to at our Pastor's house later this afternoon, but I hope to have time this evening to get a couple of photos up in WPF.

jeffrey-wimberly

Dr Frankendiesel
Jeffrey, I really like the white stripe n the running boards on that engine. My 2-8-0 would look much better with that trim but the Santa Fe didn't have that striping so I'm stuck unless I decide to re-letter it for the P&N. If I can make one suggestion, I would take off the lettering on the steam chests and paint the piston covers gold to simulate brass. That would look really classy.
I thought about that but I've been advised by many others on other forums to leave it just the way it is now.

Steve B

Firefighter
Just got in from dads 70th birthday bash

10-08-07003-5.jpg

ATT280282.gif

Evening Gang: Well the baby is still getting better. They have let the mom and dad hold her. It will still be along time untill she gets to come home but we're getting closer every day.
I got the diesel back and it runs like new. There was still some gunk in the carburator. I'm going to have a talk with the guy that fixed it about being charged again.
KenL: I hope that you get to feeling better soon. I guess you were really sick if you didn't do any MRRing.
Bed is calling so I'll say Good Night All.

RexHea

RAIL BENDER
Jim, Carey must be out to lunch so I will tell you that James Spann is the chief meteorologist at channel 33/40 in Birmingham. His weather blog is on the 33/40 website.

OldGettysk

Running the MC & Buffalo
Early morning ALl ! Missed the morning coffee I had to go to an emergency where my wife works. Spent all day running for supplies nad helping her out at the bowling alley snack bar. Her boss and he's a friend of our got accused by a young girl of raping her . He had to call the police and they took her to the Hospital an examined her and found nothning. It was not true but it really shook him up. So he couldn't work and they had a big bowling tournament so I was pressed into service. The girl's sister worked there but the night before she was caught stealing money and fired her . So she and herfriends cooked up a story to get him in trouble. It backfired on them but it sure sook him up . Guess they didn't know about the hospital part of it. they thought he would just be arrested on her word. I never want that to happen to me . I can just imagine what went through his head. And he trusted these kids and did alot of things for them to keep them off the streets . Oh well sorry for rambling. Steve your father's party looked like fun. that food looks awfully good. Well gonna get going . thanks for letting me vent a little. have a nice morning all ! and Night to you west coasters!

Last edited by a moderator:

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
Good morning everyone,

My cold is finally cleared up. I spent all of Sunday driving my eldest daughter back to her college after her 3-week Christmas break, then returning home. I came here but was so exhausted I crawled into bed without even signing out. Still tired this morning, guess I'm not as conditioned for these long drives as I used to be.

Texas Paul, glad to hear that your granddaughter is improving. Luckily she won't remember any of this when she's older, though I know her poor parents will never forget it.

Jim, if you have the energy to rally people to that cause, I say Go for it! With your background in public safety and building construction, people will hopefully take your words more seriously.

Jeffrey nice work on that steamer!

Steve - congrats to your Dad on his 70th birthday, looks like a good time was had by all.

Buffalo Paul, sorry to hear about what happened to your wife's boss. Stories like that infuriate me. The girl is a minor so she'll probably manage to wiggle out of it scot-free :mad: ; I don't know if there's anybody the man can sue for defamation of character. After hearing so many stories like that, I refuse to allow myself to get in a situation of being alone with any young girl.

tompm

Good morning folks

It was 36 F as I headed out. We did not get any of the hyped up snow that the weather mis-forecasters were predicating. Our high today will be 44 F.

We had a productive weekend. We did the usual grocery shopping. We took down the remaining Christmas decorations expect for the tree. Christmas is a big deal in our house and it literally takes weeks to undecorated. The tree alone will take several nights once we get going.

I had a great weekend modeling. I finished the coil cars. I also weathered and sealed a Athearn BB B&O RPO baggage car, and Walthers Santa Fe express reefer, two REA express reefers, two B&O troop conversion baggage cars, and heavyweight B&O baggage, sleeper, and diner, Pullman sleep, and C&O coach, and the Bachmann Sharks. I also got the weights installed in my son’s pinewood derby car.

I hope everybody has a good day.

leghome

Maytag "Danged Agitator"
Got my butt out of bed early today and was out in the wood shop at 7AM. I have been building myself a pantry for the shop to store my tools in. It is now looking like a useful piece. Using spaulted Poplar(spaulted=wood that has started to rot but is still very usable. I has all kinds of black lines in it along with the red and green that is normal. Probably to fancy of wood for a shop cabinet but it was free so the cost outweighs that. I am going to stain it cherry so it should be a really fine looking piece. Well breakfast is ready and then back out to the shop.

OldGettysk

Running the MC & Buffalo
Good Morning Bill ,Tom & Larry , Another beautiful day here in Buffalo , Rain a little wet snow just another normal day . Looks like the New Englanders got slammed with the Northeater. Ken L good to hear that your cold is finally cleared up , Tom boy you were busy this weekend , Larry wonder how your pantry will turn out please post some finished pics. Paul fromTexas glad to hear your granddaughter is growing . My wife's first pregnancy ended with a premature baby boy. This was back in the seventies and the tecnology was not there to save prematre babies. I always wondered how he would have turned out? Guess the lord needed him more. Well off to the Hospital for more bloodwork so you all have a nice day !!!

pcarrell

Just a guy
Hey! Good Morning!

Woke up to a light dusting of snow. Didn't bother me any, but it would seem that quite a few drivers around here still haven't gotten the hang of it yet. The roads were littered with accidents. Hope nobody got hurt.

Well, another weekend flew by. I don't know where those things go, but they sure do go there quickly! Be nice if I could figure out how to slow their progress, ya know?

Wife is getting around better all the time. It's good, because she was getting SO sick of being in bed all the time. It was beginning to drive her mad I think. Now she can get around a little bit though. She can go anywhere in the house or my daughter can drive her places. She just can't drive herself yet.

I have class tonight. I tell ya, I'm getting so burnt out on class. I know I have to keep going......the finish line is in sight, but I'm just not really interested in these classes. They're just to fill up elective classes, I know, and it's good stuff to know. It's just that this is the boring side of what I should know when I graduate. Oh well, I soldier on...........

New York Paul, that story of your friend yesterday would be most disterbing. It kind of frightening what some people are capable of, isn't it? I mean, they could have ruined that poor man.....for nothing! I'm glad it worked out well for him though.

So what's going on with you today?

jeffrey-wimberly

Dr Frankendiesel
Good morning.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 1/14/2008

Wind Chill: 35°F
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 31°F

So Far Today
High: 40°F
Low: 33°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 5mph NNE

Today High: 62 Sunny. Highs in the lower 60s. Light and variable winds.

Tonight Low: 35 Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 30s. Light and variable winds.

rhoward

S.L.O.&W. Trainman
Mornin' everyone!

We were supposed to get some white stuff last night, but I see it all came down in liquid form. Just what I need, more water to seep into the basement.......

Philip that is good news! I know she feels better being able to perambulate on her own.

NY Paul, I hope that your friend will see a lawyer very quickly and get an order keeping that kid and her friends out of the bowling alley permanently.

Well, I best go get some work done.

UP2CSX

Fleeing from Al
Afternoon, Everyone.

Rex, thanks for the info on James Spann. I sent a copy to the HS principal and {gasp!} haven't gotten a response yet. I'm sending a letter to the editor of our local paper since the school superintendent STILL hasn't returned my calls. Ken, the principal asked me what I knew about evacuating people in an emergency. I told him not much, just 27 years experience evacuating people from wildfires, mudslides, earthquakes, even directing the complete evacuation of a town of 6,000 from a flood. We never had a tornado though so what do I know? :mad:

Buffalo Paul, I'd be at the DA's office trying to get a filing a false police report charge. Actually, the police should already be doing this. I'd also get me y own attorney and go after her in a civil case. I was personally involved in a case where a complaint was filed against me for fondling a woman's breasts during a drunk driving arrest. Thank goodness for dash cams or I'd probably still be tied up in some court on that one. Sorry about your son. As you say, the technology just wasn't around to save him and God wanted him to be with Him. I've often wondered how my son would have turned out also. - he would have just turned 38 a week ago. :(

Phillip, good to hear the the wife is still improving. I now what you mean about school - it's why I only took one semester of my master's degree course before I decided I need to get a real job at 31. :)

Ray, I hope that water stays out of the basement. Maybe you should have built a big aquarium instead of a layout. :)

Afternoon, Jeffrey. I still think those piston cover would look good in gold but it's your engine. Amazing how much your weather is a mirror image of ours.

Larry, I sure wish I had the woodworking skills of guys like you. I'm lucky not cut off any appendages building benchwork. :D

Tom, meant to compliment you on those coil cars in the WPF section and forgot. They came out really good, just the right amount of weathering. We finally got down all our Christmas stuff too. Now I just have to get motivated to move it all back to the attic.

Ken, I'm amazed you were able to drive that distance after being sick and not pass out before you got home. I'm getting too old for stuff like that anymore.

Texas Paul, that's great news that the baby is still improving. I know it's a really tense and nervous time for all but I'm sure she'll continue to be improve and be home in no time. At least I only have to worry about dirty tracks, not dirty carbs but I'm glad you got your engine back.

Steve, congratulations to your dad on his 70th. It's a good thing I wasn't there or half that table would be empty and I'd be about ten pounds heavier. :)

Nice sunny day today with a temperature of 61 at 2:20. It was a little chilly at 30 degrees last night. OK, you norther guys can stop laughing now. :D Believe it or not, the weather pattern is setting up to give us a small chance of snow or freezing rain Wednesday night and Thursday. It will be interesting to see if it happens. My wife tells me life grinds to a halt here if there's enough snow to cover the grass.

jeffrey-wimberly

Dr Frankendiesel
Remember the L&N E6 I got a little while back? It went through the paint shop last night and got fresh MGRy paint.

The first photo is the loco as it was when I got it (obviously) and the other two are of the repaint.

Evening Gang:
KenL: Happy to hear that you are feeling better. As for feeling tired after driving you daughter to school, I hate to say it but we are getting older. I used to drive from Texas to Milwaukee in one setting. Now I'm lucky to do it in two full days, sometimes three.
Buffalo Paul: Good to hear that your wifes boss got things straightened out. Those things can get real nastie. I hope that the girls willb sutably punished. Having to face the man and applogize would be a start.
Well bed is calling. Daisy the dog got me up at 2am to take her out. It's a good thing that she is so cute and lovable.
Good Night All

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.