Coffee Shop Part VIII

This Just In:

Looks like New Year 2008 will not be a time of celebration for Vicky [my wife] - her father passed away at ~9:00pm, at the age of 81. :(

Luckily he got to be with all his grandchildren two days earlier.

I probably won't be here for the next few days, as I'm urgently needed elsewhere...

12-31-2007

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png

:eek:

donuts1.png
THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png

BreakfastMenu.png
waitress1.png

Good morning folks

It was 33 F this morning as I headed out. Since it rained last night and I did not realize the temperature I was surprised to find ice covering the trashcan lids when I put some trash out. Luckily I did not encounter any ice on the roads. Our sidewalk at work was a different story as it resembled a skating rink. Our high toady is supposed to be 48 F. It will be mostly sunny today with a chance of rain this evening which means my son still will not get a chance to try out his new telescope he got for Christmas.

We had some fun on Saturday night. We have been smelling gas outside the house near the gas meter since spring. I had the gas company out three times since then and they could not find anything. Saturday while I was doing the leaves in the front yard the smell was real strong so I called them again. This time they found a leak in the pipe that feeds into the meter. A crew had to come out and replace it. The rest of the weekend was uneventful and involved the usual trips to the grocery store.

I finished weathering the wheels for the coil cars. I still need to seal them. I also began weathering the trucks for the coil cars.

I almost finished painting the ceramic Father Time for my wife. That kept me from the trains last night. It was a welcome diversion from painting only grays and browns.

Tonight we will celebrate New Year’s Eve with the kids. Tomorrow we will watch some of the Philadelphia Mummers Parade on TV especially when the string bands and fancy brigades come on.

We are thinking about getting a new digital camera. Our Cybershot just is not doing the job any longer. It is 3 or 4 years old and showing some signs of wear. We also have problems with taking photos of things in motion. This time I am thinking we should get a digital SLR camera. I saw a really nice Cannon Rebel 8.0 mexapixal at a good price. Now I am trying to convince the wife. She was thinking that we would not have spend too much.

Ken, sorry to hear about your Father-in-Law. Your family has our sympathies.

I hope everybody has a good day and a Happy New Year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mornin all!

Last day of the year and it looks like we'll bring in the new year with a bang.....or at least some fresh snow! Right now, it looks like a 1"-3" snowfall here in central Indiana by daybreak Tuesday morning. A 3"-6" band of snow may fall across the northern third of the state.

Hoping to cut outta work early today. Like to go home and work on the layout room more. I got some shelves (actually, the wife got them........thank you hunny!) yesterday and so I'm rearranging the storage in there. Should help out a bunch!

We're just going to hang at the house tonight. Weather isn't great, wife's still laid up, and there's just too many whako's out there to go out tonight.

Ken, I'm sorry to hear of the sad news. My condolences.

So whats up with all of you? You heading out tonight?

Morin' Bill!

Ken, so very sorry to hear about your Father-in-law. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Mornin Duke! Welcome to the forum (I see you've been lurking out there) and a big welcome to the Coffee Shop! Flo, put Duke's coffee on my tab this mornin' will ya.

I had an Eagle Scout, his father (troop committee chair), and his Grandfather (who will be presenting his grandson his Eagle on New Years Day) over at my house last night to finish and print his Eagle Program for the ceremony. Of course one of the reasons his grandfather came over was he had heard that I have a model railroad........ So as the programs were printing we all went for a ride on the Seneca Lake, Ontario, and Western. Now, I have been running locos and some short trains several times over the last couple of weeks without any problems whatsoever. Last night I made up a 19 car freight train to run the mainline to show 'er off a bit. Derailments all over the place. The 2-6-6-2 picked a chunk of scenery that must have decided to come loose and ran over it derailing the loco and several cars. Got that back on track to have the tender derail every foot or so. Finally found another chunk of clump foliage that had lodged under the tender and was causing problems. Brought the train back down the grade and through the tunnel into the new section. Well that was supposed to be what happened. I threw the turnouts the wrong way and sent the loco and the first two cars back down the rest of the grade through the tunnel to Hopewell Junction. The rest of the train had derailed another car and uncoupled. I waited for the loco to go through the tunnel into the other side of the layout............... No loco....... I stopped the throttle and we started to look for the engine. It was gone. "Nope I can see right through the tunnel. Yep your hands right there in the middle of it and there isn't a loco in there". Me, "OK, its not on the floor, where is it?" The Eagle Scout joined the hunt and said, "I think it's coming down the other tunnel". So, I back the loco up, recouple the train, throw the turnouts to the right positions and proceed through the correct tunnel over to the other block. The train comes through the tunnel and goes onto the bridge over County Road 4 outside of Kanandaqua.... Short! The weight of the 2-6-6-2 closed a small gap on the guard rails on the bridge and shut down the booster. So I used the 0-5-0 loco helper to move the 2-6-6-2 just enough to stop the short and parked the train in the interchange yard by the enamelware plant (not built yet...) and called it quits. After they left, I went back down cellar, did some judicious pruning of foliage near the curve, and took the dremel and cut a much bigger gap in that D@mm%d guard rail (I prefer working to looking right at times). Fetridge's Law strikes again! On the other hand last time the scout was down there (a couple weeks ago, his Mom and Dad were fascinated by the layout and he acted bored. This time as I was running the train, he was checking it out big time. I wish we had had the time for me to give him a throttle and a train to run.....:D

Good morning.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 12/31/2007

Wind Chill: 47°F
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 46°F

So Far Today
High: 49°F
Low: 36°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 5mph SSW

Today High: 72 Mostly sunny. Patchy dense fog in the morning. Highs in the lower 70s. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 32 Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 30s. North winds 10 to 15 mph.

Thanks Ray
Yup,been lurking for quite awhile and I do know a few on here from the other side of the tracks. I'm not a big poster,just tend to sit back and listen as Steve can probably tell you.
Talk to you later
Duke
Looks like I'm buying this round,so belly up everyone.

Good Afternoon All ! Been a very busy day here in Buffalo , All kinds of running around for the wife, two banks and two Grocery stores , cam haome and shoveled the dirveway and just got done , Phew . Ken L My deepest condolences to you and your family . Always tough to loose a love one at the holidays. ray looks like you were busy on the SO&W. Hope all went well in the end. Duke welcome to the coffee shop .hope you nejoy the company .Sad day today , Marv Levy is stepping down as General Manager of the Buffalo Bills. He is 82 years young and I guess he wants to enjoy life a little more . He was a gentelman and will be sadly missed. Well I have a new PK1 FB3 to run so guess Ill go see how she does . Have a nice day ALL And A Safe and Happy New year !!!!!!!

Hey everyone,

(I see I forgot to log off last night - ooops!)

Duke - good to see ya, so you finally made an actual post in this side of the track!

Thanx for all the condolences and prayers. Vicky is the one who seems to be taking it the hardest, M-I-L is just soldiering on and making the arrangements. My role in all this is mostly chauffeurin' and goferin'; speaking of which, I need to leave ASAP to pickup my Alabama S-I-L who's flying back up here this afternoon.

Ciao!

Afternoon Everyone,
Ken, sorry to hear you and your wife had such sad news. My sympathy to her and your family. No matter how old are parents get, it's always a shock when they pass on. :(

Tom, I take it you don't smoke or you may have found that gas leak sooner. :eek: We just bought a Canon Powershot A570 for $159 from Costco including a 1 Gb SD card. It's 7.1 megapixels. It's certainly no Canon Rebel but all the reviews I've read give it very high marks for picture quality and manual control. Might be something to think about if the budget can't stand that Rebel.

Hi, Duke, welcome to Flo's

Phillip, I long ago stopped going anywhere on New Years Eve. With snow and drunks, you've got a bad combination. Hope your wife is continuing to heal.

Ray, it never fails. You can run the layout by yourself and everything is fine. As soon as there are other people there, the whole thing runs like it was built like a five year old. :D I swear this is a universal phenomena. I had the chance to see the layout of a reasonably famous model railroader when I lived in LA in the late 60's. He was known for the complexity and perfection of his trackwork. Everything ran great for about 10 minutes and then the whole railroad started coming apart. Engines jumping the track, switches not changing direction when the button was pushed, blocks going dead...you name it, it happened. After about a half hour, he just gave up, shut down the power, and we sat around and drank beer and talked about trains the rest of the afternoon. I'm pretty sure he had his whole toolbox out the minute we left and was working on all the faults.

Paul, Marv Levy is a great guy and one of the last class acts in football. It will be sad to see him go.

Jeffrey, looks like you will be a little warmer than us but some of your stolen rain sneaked through and we got almost an inch yesterday. That means we are now only 22 inches below normal and will have beaten the last driest year in Alabama by only three inches instead of four. I don't wish a hurricane on anyone but we sure need a few not too bad tropical storms next year if we are ever going to catch up.

To those of you who weren't treated too well by 2007, I hope 2008 turns out to be a better year. For everyone else, A Happy and Healthy 2008.

My condolences Ken. Been-there-done-that with my father in July so I know what your wife is going through. Just be there for her like my wife did for me and it makes all the difference.

Happy New Year to all, take care and see you next year. :)

Mark

greeting folks, i managed to just about complete the wall framiong in the basement, perhaps ill be hanging drywall in the next month or so. I'm not sure how much longer i can not have trains...........Ryan

It is a very cold windy start to 2008. We did get a little of the fluffy white, I can still see the grass sticking up thru it, but the wind chill is single digits. BRRRRRR.
I hope everyone had a safe and happy New years celebration I know mine was, We went out with friends for supper and then to their house for chit chat and then home before 10. I was in bed shortly after 11PM so I have no idea what the ball in new Times Square looked or how Dick Clarks Rockin New Years Eve went. So New Years Eve wen normal for me.

mornin all, leghome i was in bed by 10:30 or so myself. watched a movie with the wife, alsmost finished framing out the basement, the we tried to order a pizza but they must have been closed (we live way out in the boonies and are lucky to get delivery of ANY kind out here, but theres a little pizza shop that delivers out to the county line.) then i slept in to 9 am this morning. everything is quiet now, as i was awoken to firecracker and shot guns at midnight. every one must be hung over still......Ryan

Back