Coffee Shop Part VIII

Baltimore has a sizable Polish population, and a few Polish restaurants - I'll bet I could find some pierogies around here. Come to think of it, I've seen 'em in the frozen foods section of my local Safeway market. (Dang it guys, you're tempting me to stray off my diet!!! :rolleyes: )

Carey: Oh Brother!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Well, good to see you posting again anyway, wrinkled gray matter or whatever.;) :D

You guys have got me thinking about Polish food. I had a friend from Chicago that one time brought me back some homemade Kielbasa . OH MY! That stuff was pure sin, and you could taste it for a week after eating it. I would almost trade a favorite locomotive for another big link of that. Ummmmm Good!

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve, this what pierogi look like:
250px-Ruskie.jpg

They are usually boiled but sometimes fried. They are, as Phillip said, somewhat similar to ravioli but larger and stuffed with anything from potato's to sauerkraut to sausage. They are usually boiled first and most Poles then fry them in butter. Heart attack on a plate but way better than workhouse slave food. :) Most of the frozen ones are a pale imitation of the real thing.

Rex, Kielbasa is another one of those Polish treats, a big, fat sausage made from Lord only knows what kind of meat and loaded with garlic and spices. Like you say, you can taste them for a week but Kielbasa with some good hot Chicago style mustard is to die for...which is a distinct possibility if you eat too many of those things. :eek:

Carey, I'm always amazed at your wisdom and knowledge, or at least I was during those eight hours no one posted. :D

Phillip, I hope your wife rests comfortably tonight and feels better in the morning.

Still mild and partly cloudy here. We are waiting for rain tomorrow but I'm almost sure that Jeffrey has already stolen it and is hoarding it somewhere in Louisiana. :p

Morning everyone!! Boy the work week is sure getting slower around here. So don't be surprised to see me around this site quite a bit today. Hope everyone has a good one.

Mornin' all!

You know, it's the strangest thing!

Every time one of my home computers gets messed up, nobody ever did anything! It always happens "all by itself"! Isn't that odd?

I walked in the door last night from work and was greeted by my daughter informing me that "the computer is acting wierd. She has a marvelous gift for understatement! That puppy is crashed hard! I'm going to mess with it later. Might have to take it somewhere to have it looked at.

Well, got a followup doc's visit for the wife today. She seems to be doing well so I'm thinking this should be a good visit.

Warming up out there today. It's supposed to warm up for the next few days, then the bottom drops out and the snow comes back. Looks like a white Christmas is a real possibility!

Oh well, gotta run!

Later!

Good morning folks

It was 34 F as I left the house. We are supposed to reach 45 F. It has been a rough morning. My foot has been in quite a bit of pain. I guess I was on it too much last night during my son’s Pack Meeting. I am not sure if it was the setting-up, running the meeting, or the clean-up that did it. I finally got my left foot healed up and then I banged my right heel one night when I slipped on some wet steps about a month ago. Since then if I overdo it I feel the pain.

No modeling last night. The pack Meeting took up our evening.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Mornin All ! "WHO STOLE MY KEESHKA" Got done making our pierogis this morning at 3:30 boy glad that is over. They are for our traditional Polsih Vigilia dinner on Christmas Eve . A very Holy and meatless meal for us Polish people carried over from our European Ancestors. And Buffalo also has a very sizeable Polsih Community. Tom take care of your leg there . Gotta go out and mail our Xmas cards so you all have a nice day !!!! Hey Ray retirement means getting up when you want and doing nothing but taking care of your layout there !!!

Good morning folks. Not much new here. I'm on cruise control until after Christmas. I met with the owner of my bank yesterday. I informed him of my intentions of helping him sell through our inventory. He told me that I was the first one to do that in the thirty-five years of his banking experience. It kind of gave me a warm and fuzzy. I figured I can get out of this while leaving a disaster behind me, or a neat and tidy failure. I'm choosing neat and tidy.

I'm starting to go through withdrawals with my trains in boxes. I'm half tempted to purchase that new Walthers station and MAKE it fit in the new layout. Do you guys think it would look silly to have only two or three tracks serving this behemoth? I think I already know the answer, but I'll ask anyway.

I have to attempt to do all of my Christmas shopping tonight. I need to come up a with a plan of attack. We weren't planning on giving gifts this year, so I hadn't given it much thought. Now I'm one of those shoppers that the stores are hoping for.

I hope everyone has a good day. They're predicting 2-5 inches of snow this weekend. That's perfect, we'll be on the road right about then!

Good morning.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446 12/20/2007

Wind Chill: 66°F
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 63°F

So Far Today
High: 68°F
Low: 60°F
Rain: 1.29"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 29mph W

Now through 11:00 AM CST December 20, 2007

Through 11 AM...showers and thunderstorms will continue to race eastward at 40 mph across southeast Texas...southwest...central and south central Louisiana. The strongest storms...capable of producing penny size hail...wind gusts in excess of 50 mph...and rainfall rates near 2 1/2 inches per hour...will move across eastern Jefferson and Orange counties as well as western Calcasieu Parish. Over the coastal waters...showers and thunderstorms will continue to move east from High Island to the Atchafalaya River out to 60 nm. The strongest storms...reducing visibility to less than a mile and producing frequent lightning will occur across the near shore waters between Cameron and Marsh Island.

Today High: 75 Showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Some thunderstorms may be severe in the morning. Locally heavy rainfall possible in the morning. Highs in the mid 70s. West winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 48 Partly cloudy. Cooler. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows in the upper 40s. Northwest winds around 10 mph in the evening becoming light and variable.

P1010017.jpg

Corey, I have the Walthers Union Station, which is a lesser behemoth and I only have two passenger tracks to it. But, I have a yard beside those and it gives the illusion of a busy station.;)

Jim, I guess the 8 hour lapse that Carey caused was the result of everyone trying to absorb so much wisdom founded by so few words:rolleyes:

Nick, enjoy the ease in work load. The only thing at work I used to hate about this time of year was it being impossible to get any last minute priorities done...particularly if you relied on someone else. Finally, I caught on and let things go like everyone else:p :D .

Paul, for some reason most of my friends while in the Air Force and Government were of Polish descent and I am of Scots-Irish/English (and then some:rolleyes: :D )

Hiya Mark, hope you have a good day.

Philip, I'm envious of your prospects of having a White Christmas. Looks like a chance of rain showers and temps in the 50's for us.

KenL, forget the diet for this time of year. My Doc, during my 6 month checkup Tuesday, asked why I had only lost 1 pound in 6 months. I simply replied, "Thanksgiving!" :D

Ray, you are too busy for a retired person; you will give us all a bad name. I'm going to report you to the AARP!

Jeff, how's the feet doing? Hope all is well in Cajun country.

Jim, I guess the 8 hour lapse that Carey caused was the result of everyone trying to absorb so much wisdom founded by so few words:rolleyes:

Rex;

See, I CAN occasionally make an impact! No matter how minor!:D:D:D:D

I'm actually feeling a lot better than I was just about 3 days ago. Fever from the flu finally broke, but because I had it so long, when they checked my counts, the IGG didn't "take". So now, until my next treatment the Dr says, I have to stay indoors, and avoid anybody with a cold, infection, virus, etc, or I will get it. Good thing too. I hate Christmas shopping.:eek:

Oh, and about the "White Christmas" thing. According to the NWS afternoon discussion here, we actually have the greatest chance of a "WC" here than has occurred in years!:D <10%:(

Corey;

Like I said, I hate Christmas Shopping, esp the crowds and noise! Love the season however. :D So around here, just about all the discount stores are open 24hrs, as are a couple of others. ;) So I made it a habit years ago, of getting my wife's list and hitting the open stores @ 0100 in the morning. Last year at one store, I think I was the only one in the store other than employees. Took less than 15min per store and I had ALL my shopping done for wifey within 90mins, including drive time.:)

Ray, you are too busy for a retired person; you will give us all a bad name. I'm going to report you to the AARP!

LOL! I guess I won't tell you how I spent the morning then.......:rolleyes: ;)

Jeff, how's the feet doing? Hope all is well in Cajun country.
Left foot is doing fine. Right foot feels all right though I know it's a real train wreck inside. Due to all the verve damage I have I can't feel any pain in my hands or feet. That's actually a blessing of sorts since the foot has been broken thirteen times now and dislocated I don't know how many times. The upshot is that since I can't feel it, it's not bothering me much. As for Cajun Country, it's wet!

Evening everybody,

Unlike Nick, I been really busy at the office today! All my co-workers are racing the calendar to close out as many action items as possible before the long weekend. I finished my Christmas shopping last night (finally)! Now the only thing left for me to tackle is the gift wrapping part, which I'm terrible at - oh well...

I found a not-quite-local hobby shop with Kadee 119's in stock, so I picked up several packets of them and installed them on my over-80-foot cars. These are the so-called "shelf" couplers that are used on prototype tank cars to keep derailed cars attached to the train and not rolling free (into residential areas etc.). I've found they are also very useful for keeping my ultra-long freightcars from un-coupling when they encounter a dip or bulge in the track. Yes, I KNOW there is no substitute for flawless trackwork! It was "perfect" when I first laid it and tested it, but it's been there for a few years now and the wooden benchwork has warped slightly. I don't have time to identify and correct every single irregularity before our Christmas party guests arrive on Sunday, so this is the best I can do at the moment.

Stay warm and safe!

hello folks, what a month!!!! go on vacation for a week to a warmer climate, come home to ice storms and no electric for four days! good thing the basement is on the generator circuit, ( i told the wife that it had to be for the smoke detector system in the house!) haaahhhhaaaaahhaaa! as well thank god for the wood stove! i'm still working on remoldeling the basement so no trains yet..... It seem i have another side track as the township apperantly doesnot apprciate my scrapping operation and after a town meeting they granted me limited re-zoning as long as i do it all in a building that they were pretty quick to grant a permit for (they denied it last year when i wanted to "do it right") so now on to that........ anyway, been a while since i was around and wanted to stop in and say hi! ...... Ryan

Back