Coffee Shop 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon, everyone.

Trey, pretty good advice for us goofy guys when it comes to gifts. I have found that Valentine's is the right holiday for some flowers and something skimpy that she'll wear about twice a year. :) For everything else, you can't beat a gift certificate for about three hours in a nail place or a warm bathrobe.

Jeffrey, I don't suppose you can get DSL out there either. :( Charter is about to file for bankruptcy so I'm afraid my rates will be headed up too.

Mikey, only you would think of using a Santa hat on your layout. :D

BOC, I'm glad Audrey's getting over the bug. It's like Trent said, though, you've still got to take it out and pretend it's Valentine's Day. http://www.apogeekits.com/rgb_controller_vm146.htm looks like it might work for your random apartment lighting.

Chris, if this was a year ago, I'd agree with you, but at least GM and Chrysler need to pull back spending as rapidly as possible. Many of the sponsors aren't much better off and gate receipts and TV rights are not enough to keep NASCAR, Indy, or Formula 1 viable. There are going to be a lot of things happening in 2009 that most of never thought we'd see. Your turtles may be the new racing hit of the year. :eek:

Sunny but windy and chilly here today. Should start to warm up tomorrow as the front approaches. We may start seeing thunderstorms by tomorrow night and the chances are better than even for severe storms Wednesday. Tomorrow is the one year anniversary of our tornado so lots of people are a little anxious about any storms.

Jeffrey, I don't suppose you can get DSL out there either. :( Charter is about to file for bankruptcy so I'm afraid my rates will be headed up too.
Nope, can't get DSL here. Too far from town. Besides, I would need a house line for that. I have no phone line here. My only phone is a Voice Over IP system called Magic Jack that plugs into a USB port on my computer.

UP2CSX Thanks for the link--it looks like it might work:):)

As for the Corporative world backing out of auto racing--we're just starting. 2 companies-one in particular--Ing announced it was pulling out of Formula 1 racing.

I'm getting another thing confirmed here---

Last edited by a moderator:
BOC, I sure hope ING is pulling sponsorship. I'm a stockholder with those thieving morons. Their stock was over $40 in June. It's now $7.59, which is up from its November low of $6.37. Shareholders don't really mind companies getting an ego boost plastering their names on race cars if they are making money but having a company continue to do this when it's lost almost 70% of its value in six months is a little too much. I know Honda has already pulled out of Formula 1 as well. As I said, there will be a lot of "change" over the next year but I don't think it will be quite what people wanted.

Jeffrey, what do you do if you lose the cable and need to call 911? In a situation like a hurricane, it's likely that cell phone service will also fail. You can get a lifeline rate if you're disabled for a landline that I think is less than $10 a month. Even though I've got the MagicJack and a cell phone, I still keep one landline phone on the cheapest plan since landlines are usually the last thing to fail when the sh*t hits the fan.

02-17-2009

Good Morning ! from TIPTON IN:eek:
TIPTONDEPOT-1.png
menu_breakfast_1.png
Diner.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png
waitress3.png

:cool::p:confused:

Jeffrey, what do you do if you lose the cable and need to call 911? In a situation like a hurricane, it's likely that cell phone service will also fail. You can get a lifeline rate if you're disabled for a landline that I think is less than $10 a month. Even though I've got the MagicJack and a cell phone, I still keep one landline phone on the cheapest plan since landlines are usually the last thing to fail when the sh*t hits the fan.
I'm a volunteer firefighter. I have instant two-way access to 911 via a handheld radio in my home and a two-way mobile unit in my car. They work on simplex direct to 911 as well as duplex through repeaters. No phone of any kind required.

Good Morning--We're at -7C now with a high of 1C expected in a mix of sun/cloud. Tomorrow will have either rain-a lot, or, snow-a lot.:eek::eek: Highs will be either 1C or 9C depending on whether the boundary goes east or west of us. YEEHAW:(:eek:--Oh. We may also see T'storms as well either way--:confused::confused::eek:

UP2CSX--I dabble in portfolio fiddling on my own stuff--I'm not impressed with anything right now. Even reverse indexes were getting clobbered. Seeking Alpha had someone claiming a while ago that NASCAR may find itself scaling back on a number of fronts the next couple of years. That due to the'Regional 3' as it was put---I'm going to get off the soapbubble I'm on now:eek:;);):rolleyes:

I'm taking Audrey out this afternoon so we can do our Valentine day thing--she couldn't do this then as was sick with a bug of some kind or other--

Good morning folks.

I have the day off and hope to accomplish many things. First and foremost, I have to sit around and drink coffee. This is my morning ritual that must not be rushed! I hope to get my driver's license and car registration updated. I am breaking the law for the first time in a while! I have lived here for more than the two months they give you to switch. I also need to use up my hobby lobby gift card. They are the only place in town that carries woodland scenics products. I've been buying something every other week with my 40% off coupon. I figured that I may as well enjoy getting to shop for train stuff twice a month no matter what!

I managed to paint the deck girder portion of my trestle yesterday. My boss was intrigued with the fact that I had brought my hobby to work. He thought it was pretty cool and even gave input on the color. I had brought black primer and a dark brown camo color just in case. We decided that the brown was the better finished color. I'll get him to start modeling again!

I hope you all have a great day.

Good morning.

It's 50 and very cloudy. The high today should be in the mid 60's and there's a chance of rain. What else is new.

Got six loads of gravel moved yesterday and felt like I'd been hit by a 18 wheeler after the last load. There's still about 15 feet of ditch yet to be graveled. Not much chance of doing it today as rain is moving in to rain on my parade once again. Oh well, a little bit at a time and I'll get it done. Going to have to get my foot checked. It's looking like it's swelling up again. Don't know if it's the Charcot acting up or if I broke it again. On the other hand it could be another infection starting. That would be about my luck. Internet connection has been like a flag during hurricane season this morning. Up, down, up, down.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 2/17/2009

Wind Chill: 46°F
Humidity: 66%
Dew Point: 39°F

So Far Today
High: 50°F
Low: 46°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 10mph SE

Today High: 65 Mostly cloudy. A 30 percent chance of showers in the morning...then a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 60s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 62 Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Warmer. Lows in the lower 60s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/DSCN0613.jpg

Good morning everyone. I guess I’ll start stopping for coffee now and then.

I’ve been off now since December 19. I’ve done model railroad project after another and I’m still a little bored. My friends and I play golf on the warm days which aren’t many. Its looks like I’ll be retiring in June it will be a year earlier than I waned to. I would have liked to get one more year of health care. I guess I’ll have to pay Cobra one year so I can bridge the gap to Medicare. If I didn’t have that model railroad down stairs I’m not sure what I would be doing all day during the winter.

NYC_George

Good morning

Welcome to the coffee shop George! Sorry you had to retire from your job a year early. At least you're at a 'safer' stage of life for that to happen. I feel bad about the guys in my age group who are still many years away from retirement and lose their jobs, but are considered "too old" to be hired by the typical corporation.

Jim - hope everything stays calm weatherwise in your region, on this anniversary of the tornado.

BOC - a happy belated Valentines Day to you and your Leading Lady

Corey - I guess your days off are out of sync with most of us since your in retail. It's really cool that you have a boss who not only lets you do painting in his shop, but actively participates in it as well. Definitely get that license update thing taken care of asap though - I had to pay a $60 fine last year because I simply forgot to put the little sticker on my license plate after I renewed my registration. [State guv'mints are desperate for any kind of revenue they can get in today's economy, LOL]

Jeff - hope you get that foot issue resolved quickly. Your iternet company sounds like my electric company - cutting services and jacking up rates all the time.

Today is a short workday for me - I leave at 2:00pm - so I'll have a few extra hours to make final preps for Wednesday's op session. Hopefully it will be as successful as the first one back in November.

How do all?

I wasn't around much yesterday. I had a big day at work and then had to give a big speech at school to a bunch of soon-to-be graduates. Kinda strange giving them a speech, and I'll be braduating with them.......oh well. It went well. The head honco of the school only had one word for my speech......"Captivating". I guess thats good?

Well, my daughter is grown up, but she's still capable of being a pain in the butt. Gonna have a little "Come to Jesus Meeting" tonight. She's been blowing off the schooling that she asked us to pay for. As a friend of mine is fond of saying......"That dog don't hunt!"

So whats up with you?

Good Day Everyone!
Rains starting to move in with a cool and damp 45 deg. Thunder bumpers tomorrow, although I can't see them out there. How about it, Jim?

Been busy today scratch building signal heads for my Sig bridge. It will have four, 3-aspect heads on it with four itsy-bitsy 28 awg wire on each. I'm using axial lead LED's that are about the size of the wire :D. Fortunately, I was smart enough to buy some low-temp solder for this job, so I can get on and off quick.

Jim: I have considered some of the products that use the Internet for phone service; your point on losing the Internet is why we nixed any of those ideas for us. Where Comcast Internet has been very reliable, there are still times that it becomes flakey for a day or two. Going to only cell phone service has been another consideration and we are still weighing the pro's and con's with doing this. We have over 3000 rollover minutes now and could probably get by with a similar minute package and with two phones for a good savings. I'm open for opinions from all. :confused:

George: Sorry that your retirement has been been moved forward. Don't worry about being bored as it will pass. Before you know, it will be more busy than you want. Of course, it is all up to you to make it work and excitement in your retirement can usually come about with new adventures.:)

KenL: I was thinking the other day about you using the zillion grit sand paper on the track. What is the equivalent grit of a "BriteBoy" to sand paper? Just curious.

Jeff: Best watch out with the foot. The work you are doing around your place is tough enough on feet without problems.

Philip: Don't envy you and your discussion with the daughter. If she is like mine was, she will fight it with all kinds of valid(?) reasoning. It's a good idea, when our children venture into the world, to keep the reins at hand for that special tweak in direction.;)

I started painting some of my track today. It's warm enough outside to open the window for a while, so I won't gas myself. I'm using a spray can in camo brown to pain the rails and ties. I may go back and paint the rails by hand, but I really like the results so far. It does a good job of taking away that model track look. Progress!, gotta love progress!

Oh, and I updated my driver's license and license plates. Dang I'm efficient!

Corey- I have not had much success spray painting track.
What do you use to protect the top of the rail?
I finally used a bright boy to scrub the top and inside contact surfaces of the rails, but I think hand painting is quicker than the extra cleaning.

Mikey,
I sprayed a small area at a time and then wiped the rails with a rag. I noticed that waiting even one minute allowed the paint to set up on top of the rails. Large sections were hard to get the rails clean. Once dry, I went over with a bright boy to make sure it was clean. I ran my Bachmann consolidation to make sure it worked. The Bachmann is the pickiest loco I have as far as electrical pick up, so if it runs, anything will. One thing I have to add is that I use dc for power. I don't think this set up is as concerned with perfectly clean track.

I know that the brown is a little dark for older ties, but it actually looks pretty close to the rails by my house. At least it's better than shiny track. I just don't have the patience to hand paint the whole layout. At least not yet!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back